Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst job ever?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

working with a landscape gardiner cutting grass for 9 hours a day with a push lawnmower i kid you not:mad:!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭scarymoon1

working in supermacs for one day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

manager for dunnes in annoyin town in wexford i wont say the name though:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Back when I was a young lad I was over in Amsterdam. My self and a mate went to visit a peep show, it was one of those where there was a rotating bed and cabins around it in a circle. There was only one cabin free so I popped in a guilder and went in while my mate waited outside. Once inside you can see the girl on the bed and all the other windows are frosted. But I could still make out the silhouette of a guy straight across from me having a ****, totally ruined the experience! Once the time was up I left, but before my mate could root out a guilder someone else jumped into the cabin. So while I waited, he walked around looking for a free cabin. A few minutes later he comes back and says there was one free but the window had jizz running down it so he keeps on looking. In the mean time this guy comes a long with a bucket, mop and cleaning products and proceeds to clean the jizzed up cabin. One of the worst jobs I've seen someone doing!

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

When I was fourteen I worked in the kitchen of a chipper run by an Italian family. I'd finish school on Friday evening at 4pm and start work at 8pm and finish at 4am, work Sat evening from 6pm to 4am and Sunday from 12pm to 8pm for the fantastic sum of £1.25/hour. £32.50 for the weekend and gave £30 of that at home. It was the biggest ****hole of all time, when the clubs were over the place would fill with people in the horrors and fights would break out and the owner would shout to me 'Goa downa therea and tella thema if theya don'ta stopa ****in fighting they geta ****in outa, Em i'm a fourteen yr old girl, 5 ft nothing and 7 stone they wonta ****in listena. In the end I sent my sister in to tell them I got food poisoning from their food so I couldn't come in and never went back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

that story re amsternam sounds pretty bad!

my personal worse was working in a shopping centre as a general dogs body while a student.

my weirdest one was 7 months of colouring in maps with permanent markers - worst part was I could only use Green, Red and Black colours - artist in me wanted to get out!

used to make me dizzy after a few hours - on the bright side it would mean a cheap night out after work as one pint and along with the fumes all day I'd be flying

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭hadepsx

bouncy castle man, dealing with rude kids and ruder drunk parents, in the muck and dog crappy:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭fakearms123

Leadership wrote: »
    I was a military engineer in the British Army and these were my worst jobs during my service.
    • Upgrade of a Kenyan sewage system where I spent the afternoon up to my waist in a small towns waste repairing a pipe. I contracted Hepatitis A as a result.
    • In Bosnia we took over a factory that was used as a field hospital by Serbian forces the day before. There were rotting limbs and old blood soaked bandages everywhere that we had to clear up.
    • Had to paint grass green and trees brown for a week prior to a visit by the queen to our barracks.
    • In Gulf war 1 I was in the first vehicle through the Iraqi anti tank defenses in a combat engineer tractor. Just one hour before the breach the Colonel visited us and told us that at least 10 Iraqi tanks would open up on us so be quick to break through. Also gave us a "last request" of a hip flask of whiskey (alcohol was band in Saudi) and as good as said we would die trying.
    • Last 8 years of my career was a bomb disposal tech and served over 3 years in Bosnia, in my last tour of Bosnia I was hit by fragmentation mine which ended my career as I sustained serious injuries.

Question? How were you able to fit your giant balls into that vehicle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

Dunnes Stores

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

hadepsx wrote: »
    bouncy castle man, dealing with rude kids and ruder drunk parents, in the muck and dog crappy:mad:

never ever get drunk and play in a bouncing castle - got one during the summer and of course had to have a go. 5 mins of that and it was game over for me, was in bits the rest of the night. I'd say a lot of parents get sick in them (I didn't but just felt sick)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

manager for dunnes in annoyin town in wexford i wont say the name though:D

my worst job was as a merchandiser for unilever

managers in dunnes made it a horrible job

iv never met a more self righteous pompous shower of self important morons in all my life

WilcoOut wrote: »
    my worst job was as a merchandiser for unilever

managers in dunnes made it a horrible job

iv never met a more self righteous pompous shower of self important morons in all my life

you never met me:D i had so many run ins with other managers due to my style of actually being nice to staff and reps/merchandisers,one name that will haunt many managers/reps is devanney:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Kerikosan

The worst job ive ever had would be being a bottle boy during the summer.

endless boxes of dirty bottles every day which needed to be sorted into their crates for pick up.

millions of bee's and wasps constantly at the bottles often attack you, broken glass always in the boxes often got cut from it.

and what was worst was getting paid sweet fuk all a week sumthing like 25 a week was miserable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

you never met me:D i had so many run ins with other managers due to my style of actually being nice to staff and reps/merchandisers,one name that will haunt many managers/reps is devanney:eek:

gotta say ya dunnes suck but supervalu is 10times wrose wud manage back in dunnes anyday and my store manager says the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭RichieC

Welder, was a bearable job in the winter, but Christ, mid summer was a bad bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭LambsEye

Centra (For the Way We Live Today,)

Where I THINK I was sexually harassed, but I can't be sure.

gotta say ya dunnes suck but supervalu is 10times wrose wud manage back in dunnes anyday and my store manager says the same

why did you leave dunnes i heard the money is **** in supervalu compared to dunnes/tesco

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Nameless1

Any job that involves working with the public on a daily basis, ie retail, certain public sector jobs, etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭User Named

My worst job was workin in a fish factory in my village in Donegal. Boats would land fish adding up to around 1000 boxs and each one would have to be dumped on to a table and each fish was weighed individually and put in graded foam boxes which were sent to France and Spain. The worst were flatfish like sole which took ages to do. You were freezin becoz the fishboxes were covered in ice and you'd usually start work at 6 in the morn and not finish to 8 r so that night...all for minimum wage. I worked there stupidly part-time from 13 to 24 last year, i could never say no as my dad was a fisherman and the manager would just tell him when i was working if i was home from uni.....

Also worked in a flower factory production line in Derby, England for a few weeks leadin up to Valentines day, it was the most borin job ever, stuck in a freezin warehouse listen to the same cd over and over, 3 of us stood at the end of the line, one put the pot of flowers in a box, one sealed it and another took it away, we did that from 6 in the morn to 10 at night, 7 days a week. i left after Valintines day, always had to make sure u knew what hours u worked as they took money off for tea and lunch breaks.... Never again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

User Named wrote: »
    My worst job was workin in a fish factory in my village in Donegal. Boats would land fish adding up to around 1000 boxs and each one would have to be dumped on to a table and each fish was weighed individually and put in graded foam boxes which were sent to France and Spain. The worst were flatfish like sole which took ages to do. You were freezin becoz the fishboxes were covered in ice and you'd usually start work at 6 in the morn and not finish to 8 r so that night...all for minimum wage. I worked there stupidly part-time from 13 to 24 last year, i could never say no as my dad was a fisherman and the manager would just tell him when i was working if i was home from uni.....

Also worked in a flower factory production line in Derby, England for a few weeks leadin up to Valentines day, it was the most borin job ever, stuck in a freezin warehouse listen to the same cd over and over, 3 of us stood at the end of the line, one put the pot of flowers in a box, one sealed it and another took it away, we did that from 6 in the morn to 10 at night, 7 days a week. i left after Valintines day, always had to make sure u knew what hours u worked as they took money off for tea and lunch breaks.... Never again

I used dig the insides out of dead people going for cremation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Worked in a dog and cat food factory about 10 years ago. Words cant describe the horror but I'll try a few......exploding cans, maggots, the smell.....

I might have worked with you, walkinstown? that place was rotten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Nameless1 wrote: »
    Any job that involves working with the public on a daily basis, ie retail, certain public sector jobs, etc!

That's not true. People are grand.

You just have to get a thick skin, maybe that comes with age.

Whatever they say to you is not personal, it just means they are angry, emotional or panicked. I find women are the most abusive but they calm down faster then men and are kind of polite once they say their piece.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

chucken1 wrote: »

WHAT??????? Tell us more about this!

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Crasp

chucken1 wrote: »

I think that's illegal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Two years ago I got a job offer with a local company, 5e cash in hand to do a bit of typing, I figured it would be grand until I found a real job. Also figured that I'd have lots of arsing around time as I'm a pretty fast typist. It turns out I got paid 5e an hour to run the bloody company, the owner arrived at 9, opened up and showed his face to the neighbours than ran off until home time. A bit of typing turned into typing, accountancy, management, stocktaking, cold calling, reception work and web design. He'd be furious if he returned in the evening and I hadn't completed the work of 3 or 4 people.
    At the end of each week he actually had the balls to count out my wages in five euro notes, "Lets see you did monday thats one, two, three... hours... tuesday...", was great having a wad in the pub though!

Aside from that I did two days as one of those bloody on street chuggers, I'm still ashamed of it, just didn't get out of bed on day three.

Have to say its hardly worth posting after leaderships post, fair juice!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭oxysept

worst job was workinging in HELL DELL - too long to go into reasons - lasted 5 months & then I walked out..... bad bad times ..... bad

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Some real horror stories in this thread!

Here's my own. When I was between school and college I took a summer job in a Belfast hospital in a very loyalist area in the CSSD department, which is where they basically sterilise the instruments from operations and launder all the linen in the building.

So my co-workers were a bunch of oul Orange Lil biddies who did the washing and ironing, and a load of young lads from East Belfast covered in paramilitary tats who did the instrument trays with me.

Trays would come down to us in the roasting hot unventilated basement fresh from theatre, covered in blood and gore. You took the linen off the tray, dumped the scalpels in a sharps bucket, then tipped the metal into a sonic bath of some industrial strength disinfectant, which was fun as you got to shoot lumps of flesh off forceps and the like with sonic waves.

There were bonuses for anyone who was prepared to sign a legal waiver and do an AIDS or Hep infected tray. £5 a tray. One lad did as many as he could, because he was saving to bring his chick to America on holiday to see Rangers on a tour.

In the mornings, the biddies had control of the crappy boombox, and would play Orange flute band music non-stop. In the afternoon, the lads would turn the radio on to mind-numbingly annoying local radio. They were all members of the UDA club, and it was understood that when you got paid you went down for a few pints after work in the club on the Newtownards Road, real heart of darkness territory but very cheap pints.

I put the head down and just did the job as best I could, trying not to get sacked or spotted as a non-loyalist for the entire summer. Two days before I was due to finish up, it was my turn to grab the next tray coming down, and I was lucky enough to get one of Northern Ireland's rare abortion trays (it's legal there if the mother's life is at risk.)

How did I know? Tiny fingers stuck to the instruments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Back in medieval times, otherwise known as olden times or 'the day' there was a job known as a Braigetóir. he was a professional farter and not the most respected of performers.

In these times of economic whinging lets take a moment to remember the ****tiest jobs we've ever done.

Mine was when I worked in schuh for about 2 weeks 12 years ago. running up and down stairs 40 times for young ones who had no intention of buying anything. having to listen to 'whats she gonna look like with a chimney on her' 30 times a day for the princly sum of 15 quid a day. Finally quitting when the manager suggested that she thought it would be good if i 'moved to the music'. see ya!

whats your worst job ever?

Remember this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

why did you leave dunnes i heard the money is **** in supervalu compared to dunnes/tesco

dunnes went throgh the stage where they decided to let trainee managers go bout 3years ago only reason :(would go back now if thet were hiring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Penisland

I took staples/paperclips etc out of of documents so they could be scanned.....did this for 8 hours a day for 6 weeks

Was the most boring time of my life so I mainly got very drunk in the evenings and went in hungover :pac:

Advertisement