Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Reports/ Chat - Potential Blizzards & Heavy Snow - 29/11/2010

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭claire2010

Were ready for it in wex! cant wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

snow melting here and doesn't feel as cold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

The southern precipitation cloud has arrived here again at the mouth of the Kenmare Bay and is giving a light dusting of snow which should amount to about 2 - 3cms over the next 2-3 hours. Was -6c here about 8pm but as the precipitation cloud moved south west inwards from Cork the temperature rose steadily as a precursor to the snow.

I have the oil heating on at 4 times its normal level and a Dimplex 2000watt heater dispatched to the attic on full blast timed to come on over night, my water pipe is buried deep, with a trickle running outside. This year I have battened down the hatches and will not get caught by surprise or suffer burst pipes again!

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭ihavequestions

Stinicker wrote: »
    The southern precipitation cloud has arrived here again at the mouth of the Kenmare Bay and is giving a light dusting of snow which should amount to about 2 - 3cms over the next 2-3 hours. Was -6c here about 8pm but as the precipitation cloud moved south west inwards from Cork the temperature rose steadily as a precursor to the snow.

I have the oil heating on at 4 times its normal level and a Dimplex 2000watt heater dispatched to the attic on full blast timed to come on over night, my water pipe is buried deep, with a trickle running outside. This year I have battened down the hatches and will not get caught by surprise or suffer burst pipes again!

What would you say chances are for snowfall in Killarney town tonight?

Going by this http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y the precipitation band is nearly over us...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

What would you say chances are for snowfall in Killarney town tonight?

Going by this http://www.met.ie/latest/rainfall_radar.asp?ani=y the precipitation band is nearly over us...

Well since I wrote that earlier about 1cm of snow has fallen here so I would say there should be some fresh snow on the ground there by now, Killarney was on the peripheral edge of the cloud in a line back towards Killorglin, South West Cork got the brunt and Clonakilty, Skibbereen and Bantry would have got about a good old dumping. The Borlin pass between Bantry and Kilgarvan I'd reckon would be quite heavy and probably inpassable as it would not receive road treatment as it is a minor road.

There is some large areas of precipitation hovering slowly westwards over the scottish/english border and if the temps and dewpoints are right they will deliver more snow to all regions roughly north of the M7 motorway tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Sonovagun

Such a non-event here in Ardcath in Meath. I don't understand it, we are so high up We usually get something. Have to get up and make the trip into Dublin. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭meercat

safe travel sonofagun
    something similar for me too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Morning. Woke early and couldn't go back to sleep. House creaking.

Kilkenny City outskirts..

Temperature: Current -9.2 °C High -7.8 °C Low -9.3 °C
    Dew Point: Current -10.0 °C High -8.1 °C Low -10.2 °C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

At least 3-4 inches of a crisp white blanket over the land here, it really really looks like a scene from the far north, Venus blazing in the SE gives it a very surreal quality.
    That is defiantly not a scene that has been seen here for many a year. :D
    It's gonna be some spectacular sunrise soon. :D

When you see something like this it gives an idea of how far North we (Ireland) really are.

Edit;
    On this there is a report of -12 near Carlow (at 88 meters) :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

No snow in waterford at all, bitterly cold out and all the snow that had fallen is now solid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Bumble32

Just woke expecting a covering of snow in Carrigaline but NOTHING.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

There is another band moving in towards the south coast, not sure if this will hit Cork city, or flow to the south west of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭homolumo

GavinH wrote: »
    There is another band moving in towards the south coast, not sure if this will hit Cork city, or flow to the south west of it.

Looks as if it will come close to the city

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭mountain

woke up this morning to the beautiful sight of snow every where, its always strange, when the beach is turned to white!!!

Outside clonakilty

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,758 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

homolumo wrote: »
    Looks as if it will come close to the city

Looks like it alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

GavinH wrote: »

According to this it seems to me making a beeline for the city, good luck to ye urbanite city folks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Snow is West Cork.. a couple of inches here now. Sigh..... I guess we will not get to market in Macroom tomorrow? Maybe Cork is better with roads than Donegal?

Gas is frozen and no water; the wee pump house must be frozen, so wondering re lighting the stove as the heating runs off that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,902 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I'm in the North East of England at the moment,

Another 3 inches of snow lastnight, no gritters out this morning,

On my way back from a bit of a walk in it i saw a wonderful sight,

I don't ever remember seeing Lightning in a snow situation before, but my word how it lit up the dark morning when coupled with the snow! a beautiful sight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Good morning, it's too cold to move, but from what I've read( on facebook) cork city got a tiny bit of snow last night, but nothing great...

I'm more interested in what met.ie/raintoday are showing moving in!

And on met.ie they even show lighting in the weather diagram! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

zero snow in Passage West but some of you guys are painting a really nice winter wonderland scene :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

there appears to be a system making a beeline for us. please tell me i'm not seeing things

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭GavinH

Sure does look like it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    there appears to be a system making a beeline for us. please tell me i'm not seeing things

No it looks good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Colmo52

About four inches of snow here in West Cork. The most we've had in years.

No it looks good for you.

thank jaysus, have college until 3 today, i better see a blizzard when i'm staring out the window

although do have a teacher from west cork, are the roads passable?

thank jaysus, have college until 3 today, i better see a blizzard when i'm staring out the window

Unless it gets here really quickly and it's too unsafe to travel to College!

Ricky91t wrote: »
    Unless it gets here really quickly and it's too unsafe to travel to College!

it aint getting here that quickly, believe me, the system last night took ages to get to cork last night, so it'll be a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭dave1982

Alright morning all,heres hoping again,mixture of clouds and blue sky here

it aint getting here that quickly, believe me, the system last night took ages to get to cork last night, so it'll be a while

Will have to wait and see then.

• Advertisement

dave1982 wrote: »
    Alright morning all,heres hoping again,mixture of clouds and blue sky here

very still morning actually

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement