Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Millican Live At The Apollo

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

Silverfish wrote: »
    Likewise, I like Hyperboleandahalf - this one made me cry laughing.

Oh I love her blog - have it bookmarked and it always makes me laugh. One of my favourites though was The Alot. It has really helped relieve my grammar nazi tendencies. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,777 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Yeah I prefer writers - comedy show writers (Tina Fey) or columnists - to female standups myself. Caitlin Moran is absolutely hilarious in the Times, worth the paywall just by herself, and her Twitter (esp during X Factor) updates are shocking :D One of her crudest last weekend after she admitted that Matt Cardle had won her over once more.

'Oh I fancy him again now. He can make my face look like a plasterer's radio any day.'

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

nina conti is good, i saw her live in galway last year, still I'd imagine the ventriloquist stuff would wear thin after a while

joan rivers is also good in an outrageous i couldn't give a shoite kind of way

jo brand is grand too, not my favourite but not terrible either, if her act is "I'm fat, I'm a woman, I have periods" then that's fine with me as she is fat, she is a woman and she does have periods, I don't know why people are criticising her for talking about that kind of stuff, chris rock is always going on about being a black guy and the difference between blacks and whites and everyone loves him, I have no problem with female comedians talking about being a woman

I've been to a lot of comedy shows in ireland in the last few years and I have to say though that the general standard of female comedians isn't great, it's like they are way too self-conscious when they go on stage and they try much too hard to win over an audience, the best acts are more natural and effortless, it's like they are hell bent on disproving the "woman aren't funny" myth and it kind of detracts from their act and creates a sense of awkwardness, it's hard to explain really and perhaps the audience have to take some responsibility too for creating that awkward atmosphere but the fact is there are some very fine women comedians out there who are loved and adored and get great ovations so I don't think it's so much a case of them having to win over an audience with pre-conceived gender biases as them believing in themselves that yes they can be funny, audiences are great at reading body language and rather than the jokes themselves, neuro linguistic programming is key to the success of an act and unfortunately a lot of women fall down here for whatever reason, there just seems to be more insecurity there when performing as comediennes, whereas as musicians, actresses or in other performance arts that isn't present. Perhaps it something to do with the reality that comedy is the one performing area where beauty is not really an aid and in fact can hinder, indeed in many cases it's an advantage to be ugly and some women find it difficult to deal with the inversion of socially appreciated values therein or something like that (amateur theory needs more thought)

anyway in answer to the question, i'd agree with most of the selections in this thread as examples of fine women comedians, trying to think of someone that hasn't been mentioned and failing at the moment

oh and if someone says katherine lynch (is that her name?) - can they be banned please?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Cant stand Jo Brand, Nina Conti is funny alright, one of the funniest women around has be be Tina Fey, shes more of a writer/actor but her comic timing is razor sharp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Must give credit where it's due. Caroline Aherne is probably more influential from the work she's done behind the camera than in front of it. Some of her best work include classics such as The Fast Show (which she wrote and starred in)and The Royle Family (which she created, wrote, starred in and later produced.)

Notoriously private, her life seems to have been plauged by mental illness, breakdowns and suicide attempts. Which is sad to hear, but seemingly quite common in the comedy industry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

She's great!Whats her name/website? The bad photo and dont move vids were so true!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

God, that Nina Conti clip is rubbish, ventriloquist act is woeful and takes forever to get started.

I can't strand Sarah Millican either. Eugh.

Absolutely love Joan Rivers. So ascerbic and quick. Her shows have all the professionalism and confidence of an experienced comedienne.

Shappi is good too, entertaining.

I saw Deirdre o Kane, who I would have usually dismissed... doing a routine about her labour and hospital experience and her marriage and that. Was actually really funny.

I know everyone hates Meve Higgins but she won me over with baby Jesus jokes on her Christmas cookery show...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

'Oh I fancy him again now. He can make my face look like a plasterer's radio any day.'

Isn't that joke supposed to be "painters radio"?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

panda100 wrote: »
    She's great!Whats her name/website? The bad photo and dont move vids were so true!

community channel is the name of her channel, and you'll be happy to know she has being going for a while and has LOADS of videos up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

panda100 wrote: »
    On the funny blog front, I'm pretty sure http://bigmentaldisease.com/ is co-written by a lady.Its without a doubt the funniest website in Ireland

I really like this post about the stupid Lotto ad's that are on at the moment : http://bigmentaldisease.com/badvertising/lotto-rubbish/

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭ashyle

I love Miranda Hart, recently discovered her. There's something lovely about the corny-ness of her BBC show! Where's Miranda? cracks me up.

Bloggy lady What Claudia Wore is a hoot to read.

Love Grace Dent's articles in the Guardian and on Charlie Brooker's ...Wipe shows.

Advertisement