Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Millican Live At The Apollo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭jamezy

Sarah Silverman is quite abrasive but does crack me up. Jo Brand is also macabrely hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Even 20 years on she cracks me up....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

Joan Rivers...

By boyfriend, who is pretty unshockable, nearly fainted when he watched it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I love Sarah Millican! She's fantastic. Her twitter updates are hilarious too.

Some favourites of mine...(assuming we're not just going with stand up)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

One of my all time favourite comedienne clips:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Not a massive fan of female comedians (tbh I don't know many of either gender so it's more a numbers issue I suppose), but catherine tate is great. Loved her in dr who as well.
    There was SOME lady as part of a long line up, I think that Carr fella was hosting it, she was funny. Don't remember the name :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I don't mind most female comedians, but Jo Brand really annoys me sometimes. Her comedy routine seems to solely comprise of, "I'm a woman. I'm fat. I have periods"

• Advertisement

I don't mind most female comedians, but Jo Brand really annoys me sometimes. Her comedy routine seems to solely comprise of, "I'm a woman. I'm fat. I have periods"

And there it is.

So, so sick of this comment regarding Jo Brand. Why shouldn't she reference her gender? Seriously, why not? Do you think male comedians talking about sex or their girlfriends aren't referencing their gender? I think you'll find they are.

Oh and I'm sure all the female comedians will be breathing a sigh of relief knowing that you "don't mind most" of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

This thread is about female comdians you like, so is there one boneyarsebogman that you do, if so who and can you share a link?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Chinafoot wrote: »
    And there it is.

So, so sick of this comment regarding Jo Brand. Why shouldn't she reference her gender? Seriously, why not? Do you think male comedians talking about sex or their girlfriends aren't referencing their gender? I think you'll find they are.

I'd say there's a difference between referencing it and it being her entire show. A bit like Dara O Briain talkng about nothing except being Irish..

Definitely Sarah Millican though. Enjoyed her show on Dave back in Newcastle

dfx- wrote: »
    I'd say there's a difference between referencing it and it being her entire show. A bit like Dara O Briain talkng about nothing except being Irish..

You've clearly never seen an entire Jo Brand show....

Chinafoot wrote: »
    You've clearly never seen an entire Jo Brand show....

That is correct. However I have seen a lot of Ms. Brand and there's only one subject when I do. I don't recall this with (m)any others. I must be very unlucky with her show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So dfx- do you have a fav female comedian?
    Who is she?

That is correct. However I have seen a lot of Ms. Brand and there's only one subject when I do. I don't recall this with (m)any others. I must be very unlucky with her show.

I would think that's probably got more to do with the shock/gross-out factor in the how frankly she discusses periods and sex and women's bits and pieces and that type of clip making the best sound-byte with which to get maximum attention/exposure...I've never seen an entire set from Jo Brand which was only about periods. :confused:

Not just clips, but I have switched off after 10/15 minutes of tv showings of her revolving around the same subjects. Not necessarily periods. Whereas the 11 minute video in the OP was very entertaining wanting more..
    Thaedydal wrote: »
    So dfx- do you have a fav female comedian?
    Who is she?

Ahem :)
    Definitely Sarah Millican though. Enjoyed her show on Dave back in Newcastle

Have you seen her on QI? Is that all fat/tits/periods? No, no its not.
    Have you ever seen her sketch show 'Through the Cake Hole'? Is that all fat/tits/periods? No, no its not.
    Have you ever seen her show 'Getting On' which is based on her experiences as a psychiatric nurse? Is that all fat/tits/periods? No, no its not.

Here's an idea...I know its pretty outlandish but bear with me....why don't you try watching a full show of Ms. Brand before making comments about her act. Its always better to have an informed opinion.

• Advertisement

That is fairly outlandish indeed. Why watch an entire show when it's not funny? Do we all watch sitcoms for the entire series to judge funniness accurately? Drama series? Sports games? Comedy?

Is one show enough to form the opinion? Two? :)

Okay, if we were to discuss the comedians we switch off at the mere mention of, we'd be here all day - that's the great thing about comedy, it's entirely subjective. However, this thread was set up to ask the Ladies Lounge for their favourite female comedians and clips, can we stick to that please...

Thanks! :cool:

To be perfectly honest, I'm almost afraid to express an opinion or post a clip of some of my favourite sets, as I haven't seen any of their fulls shows. :/

Way to miss the point.

Back on topic....

Another good one. I like the references to Pakistani culture she puts in her act sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Ok she's not a standup comedian but she's a comedic writer. Marina Hyde to me is the funniest writer I have ever come across.
    Here's a taster with her 'A peek at the diary of Elton John'
    What a few days it's been. First I sang Happy Birthday to my dear, dear friend Nelson Mandela - I like to think I'm one of the few people privileged enough to call him Madiba - at a party specially organised to provide white celebrities with a chance to be photographed cuddling him, wearing that patronisingly awestruck smile they all have. It says: "I love you, you adorable, apartheid-fighting teddy bear."

The next night I welcomed the exact same crowd to my place for my annual White Tie & Tiaras ball. Lulu, Kelly Osbourne, Agyness Deyn, Richard Desmond, Liz Hurley, Bill Clinton - I met most of them 10 minutes ago, but we have something very special and magical in common: we're all members of the entertainment industry. You can't manufacture a connection like that.

Naturally, everyone could afford just to hand over the money if they gave that much of a toss about Aids research - as could the sponsors. But we like to give guests a preposterously lavish evening, because they're the kind of people who wouldn't turn up for anything less. They fork out small fortunes for new dresses and so on, the sponsors blow hundreds of thousands on creating what convention demands we call a "magical world", and everyone wears immensely smug "My diamonds are by Chopard" grins in the newspapers and OK!. Once we've subtracted all these costs, the leftovers go to my foundation. I call this care-o-nomics

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Teddy_Picker

Enjoying this thread a lot, a lot of new names I'd never come across. :)

Again, my favourite is not a stand-up comedian, but a comedic blogger and author, Jen Yates, responsible for the wonderful Cake Wrecks site. To the uninitiated, it might sound a little lame, but it's one of the funniest things I've ever had the pleasure of clicking onto, and her hilarious commentaries really make it what it is! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Likewise, I like Hyperboleandahalf - this one made me cry laughing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

On the funny blog front, I'm pretty sure http://bigmentaldisease.com/ is co-written by a lady.Its without a doubt the funniest website in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I can't think of her name now, but she's a ventriloquist, I think the puppet is a monkey. Anyone know her name?

Nina Conti?

• Advertisement

Advertisement