Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friends in the Gardai

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

Iv 3 friends in the Gardai and my brother is one too. Two of them are crazy when they go out , if you seen the pictures they put on facebook you would be surprised they were Gardai. One friend in-particular is a regular weed smoker:eek:. They are the same as every other friend iv got just with a different job. When they are at home/off duty they couldn't give a flying f**k what anyone is doing , unless its something very bad. In which case im sure they are obliged to do something about it. There is a lot of arse holes in the Gardai but every job has them. If they are arse holes when they join the force, they will always be arse holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know one Guard. She no sooner talks about it then I would bore her about my job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Well people in the guards want an off night. It's all in your head. I used to go out drinking when I was underage with a friend of my sisters. He never batted an eye lid.

Very handy people to have around if **** goes down! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

My best friend and her sister are banners. Once off duty, they are off-duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

Have a friend in the Gards who smokes about half an ounce a week. He's just a regular guy once he's off-duty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭round tower huntsman

Does anyone here have friends who are gardai and if so do they act differently around them. The reason im asking is because I was out a few weeks ago with a friend who isnt in the gardai, but who works for them. A few of them joined us later on in the night and they seemed like nice people but I felt I couldnt relax in their presence. It was like I was being monitored all night.

cops are never off duty. when a mate joins the cops he'll say its just a job,im still me etc.........before long he'll be only hanging out with other cops and he WILL change. if it walks like a pig and grunts like a pig,it is a pig.

user banned for this post, biko

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭zapata

I know a few Guards and they definitely don't smoke weed or drink drive or lines of coke or beat their wives\girlfriends or speed or walk out of a restaurant without paying or hang around after closing time for a lock in or do nixers. However, I've met quite a few regular blokes who do all of the above. But it would be more sensational if the Guards did it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

cops are never off duty. when a mate joins the cops he'll say its just a job,im still me etc.........before long he'll be only hanging out with other cops and he WILL change. if it walks like a pig and grunts like a pig,it is a pig.

Your a very simple person aren't you. With images of tj hooker running around in a Garda uniform!!:confused::)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭elspecia

My brother is in the guards, but I certainly don't act any differently around him than I would have before he was a guard.

I still wouldn't tell him if I did drugs weather or not he was in the guards or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭eurokev

No gaurds are probably the best craic to be out with. They know all the tricks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 ILoveGreen

Quite a large amount of gardaí frequent Coppers in town... they're just the same as all the rest of the drunken (mainly from the countryside) folks there.

In relation to some regularly smoking weed etc... are they not drug tested on a regular basis???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭Star Bingo

friends are the Gardai. i had a GF that was in the force, thats when i wasn't forcing it in her.. tara she was a faithful one. all the misdemeanours she'd just.. overlook.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

ILoveGreen wrote: »
    Quite a large amount of gardaí frequent Coppers in town... they're just the same as all the rest of the drunken (mainly from the countryside) folks there.

In relation to some regularly smoking weed etc... are they not drug tested on a regular basis???
    Yeah I though that too. Have a mate in the army and he has to get tested all the time.

So from the posts it seems that the gardai act arbitrarily when in the presence of friends and family.

Yeah I though that too. Have a mate in the army and he has to get tested all the time.

aren't most jobs doing tests, my friend works ship maintenance he lost a few 4 month contract stationed off palermo for some weed he had one puff of months previous

My brother and my sister-in-law are both Gardaí and I know quite a few others through them. I don't think my brother has changed much, if at all, as a result of joining the force. I have no issues hanging around with any of the group and have found them all to be really nice people. One thing they all have in common is that they're mad for the drink!

Karsini wrote: »
    One thing they all have in common is that they're mad for the drink!

and the yolks and the coke.. and maybe a smoke whatever's doing the rounds if anyones' ever bn to one of them sesh where said cop's profession is accidentally revealed after so long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Star Bingo wrote: »
    and the yolks and the coke.. and maybe a smoke

I hear they also like a good joke, particularly if they're a bloke. Those living in the big shmoke are usually broke, so on Saturdays nights it's an omnibus of Hollyoak(s), then run the bath and have a nice soak. Then lucky ones can get the missus round for a poke ;) The rest have to make do with an aul' stroke :(

Interesting folk!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

My best friend is a guard. His dad was a guard before him and he followed in his footsteps.
    He didn't let the fact his dad was a guard influence how he acted as a kid/teenager; he thought for himself.
    And he hasn't let the fact he's a guard subsume his opinions or character; he does his job well but still thinks for himself.
    I trust him implicitly. Far more than i'd trust anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

My father is a guard and he is sick and tired of new guards coming through with awful attitudes . He fears for the future of the force with the thuggish element who are joining . They have no common sense .
    Its true when you hear people say about teachers and guards sons and daughters that they are often the opposite of what you would expect . Im halfway to being danny dyers character in human traffic

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

RMD wrote: »
    Have a friend in the Gards who smokes about half an ounce a week. He's just a regular guy once he's off-duty.

Clearly an imaginary friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Clearly an imaginary friend.

I know a few Gardai, some of them fairly well and none of them have ever been tested for drugs. I've also heard some stories about people who do dabble somewhat regularly in light stuff.

To get back to the OPs question - no. Most of them couldn't care less about what you do with yourself if they're off duty unless you're going to seriously break the law (as in assault etc). Unclench, act normal and have a good time - they're people at the end of the day.

And as stated, don't put them in a compromising position and you'll be grand.

Sharkey 10 wrote: »
    My father is a guard and he is sick and tired of new guards coming through with awful attitudes . He fears for the future of the force with the thuggish element who are joining . They have no common sense .
    Its true when you hear people say about teachers and guards sons and daughters that they are often the opposite of what you would expect . Im halfway to being danny dyers character in human traffic
    I'll tell you what, you're right there. Two of the maddest fcukers ive ever met were sons of gardai. One of them was a big enough dealer.

I know a few Gardai, some of them fairly well and none of them have ever been tested for drugs. I've also heard some stories about people who do dabble somewhat regularly in light stuff.

To get back to the OPs question - no. Most of them couldn't care less about what you do with yourself if they're off duty unless you're going to seriously break the law (as in assault etc). Unclench, act normal and have a good time - they're people at the end of the day.

See thats my point. When im out I like doing things that would put them in compromising positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sharkey 10

I agree , i often had freinds ask me whats it like having a guard for a father ? Is he really strict? Im pretty sure he was pretty similar to many fathers. My father didnt really care about people breaking the law when he was off duty but there are guards who seem to be on duty the whole time.

See thats my point. When im out I like doing things that would put them in compromising positions.

Like what? Unless you randomly abuse people or sell drugs you should have nothing to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I'll tell you what, you're right there. Two of the maddest fcukers ive ever met were sons of gardai. One of them was a big enough dealer.

Having a Dad a guard does not make a person more moral or law abiding than anyone else. I was expected to be great at Irish at school because my mother was a teacher and grew up in the Gaeltacht - Irish is not heriditary either ;)

CDfm wrote: »
    Having a Dad a guard does not make a person more moral or law abiding than anyone else. I was expected to be great at Irish at school because my mother was a teacher and grew up in the Gaeltacht - Irish is not heriditary either ;)
    Yeah I know that, but you'd expect them to be law abiding considering fcukups could put daddy in a very compromising position.

Yeah I know that, but you'd expect them to be law abiding considering fcukups could put daddy in a very compromising position.

You gotta live your own life, not the life of your parents. My grandfather was highly thought of in the army, my dad got drunk on duty, chased civilians who annoyed him (with the loaded gun, leaving his post) and spent a fair bit of time in the cells :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

RMD wrote: »
    Its that attitude that really pisses me off, being someone who enjoys the odd smoke if I was collared by such a hypocrite I would be furious. If you are a Guard you shouldn't break the law, why should I be subject to arrest for something that you are happy enough to indulge in yourself? It's not really a comfort to know that the arresting officer sympathises with you and likes the same substances when they are actively f@cking up your life by pursuing a charge against you.

Advertisement