Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandon ship or stay and struggle?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

ScumLord wrote: »
    I think the average person needs to find a way to get involved in the running of this country, make it mean more to people and have it make more sense to the citizens.

We elect the government remember,
    Maybe we should put more thought into who we vote for and let our TDs know that we hold them accountable

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

red menace wrote: »
    Maybe we should put more thought into who we vote for and let our TDs know that we hold them accountable
    I don't think it's enough to pick someone out of a line up and let them off. Depending on a small bunch of people from a particular class, background and or mindset to be able to do everything is doomed to failure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Iorras55

red menace wrote: »

Are you seriously only beginning to think that way now? Jeez, I can't believe it! Where have you been hanging out? Or what planet have you been on?

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

squod wrote: »
    People are still voting FF. Go now, it's you're only hope.

Premise one: people who vote FF are stupid

Premise two: people vote FF

Conclusion: Therefore people are stupid

A syllogism for ye. Yeah better abandon ship alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I'm working but it's crap and I can barely afford rent. And it's gonna get tougher. Most of my mates are abroad or shacked up with evil women.
    I've been thinking of s.korea for the last while and now... well now.... fml

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've lived in other countries but ya never beat the craic in Ireland.

last I checked "the craic" doesnt pay peoples bills, unless you're sort of craic merchant, or dealer if you will. but frankly they're the sort of nefarious ragamuffin I tend to stay away from.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭darsar

Moigno wrote: »
    If you had no debts or responsibilities in Ireland

You bollox.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I have to say it. Leave option is best. In fact I would also say leave if you HAVE responsibilities also. The banks and credit card companies are going to be spending so much time chasing their tales looking for money off people when interest levels rise that it will be funny watching the whole show from a far. You can find a bit of Ireland in any country. There are Irish bars from one corner of the earth to the other so craic is always plentiful. You can also escape not only economic slavery in Ireland but also the stench of Sunday pub carvery and depressed buggy pushing robot people every last day of the weekend. Germany is one of the most scenic countries of Europe and the liberal society is a breeze to adopt to once the language is mastered. This is easily mastered within 6 months to year. Trains run on time. Super market prices are half the price of Irish prices. They have a human in charge of the health service instead of a pig creature like we have. I am moving over in January.I will genuinely hate leaving my homeland, however as a previous poster said, people are still voting F.F so I have had enough of living with traitors amongst great people. Good riddance lovely, grey, socially backward, economically raped, misguided, unmotivated, and depressed Ireland. I may come back for holidays to teach my children how not to live your life.
    Slan

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Well, I'm an economic immigrant to Ireland (since 1999), so there's no reason I can't be an economic emigrant in time. Worked for years, paid a lot of tax, then finally decided it was safe to go to university. I blew in, and I can blow back out again, but if you want me to stay, show me some money after I graduate in 2012.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Go wherever makes you happy.

I'm happy here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

I've lived in other countries but ya never beat the craic in Ireland.

Yeah, been away for a couple of years now and i have to say where we excel and where others suck is Humour

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Mits

If you can make a better life for yourself in another country you should go for it.

You can always return in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

We both still have jobs so at the moment we're staying put, but if either of us lose a job we're gone.
    It would be hard taking our son away from his grans and grandads but it would be ludircous of us to saddle him with huge debt and have all his taxes go to paying it when he would get a better life somewhere else.

btw - If I was in negative equity on a house that didn't suit me ( like so many my age are ) I'd stop paying my mortgage - save the fook out of what I was paying in mortgage until I a: lost me job or b: got thrown out by the bank ( about 4 yrs I reckon ) then pick up and leave.

I don't buy into it saddling others with my debt - there is gonna be a default ( a huge write off for the bank ) so why shouldn't people in debt just tell them to fook themselves - they ain't gonna be paying it back either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

THE WORLD IS F*CKED!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

optogirl wrote: »
    Emigration has passed through my mind a bit over the previous weeks. At the moment situation is that I have a job however it is in sales so every month there is a target to reach which is getting harder and harder as there is no money out there. Not reaching targets consistently means job is not safe.

OH has gone back to college and is receiving no help from the State - has managed to get a few weeks work over Christmas which will help.

We are both 31 and are hoping to start a family within the next year but the thoughts of our children then having to emigrate to make a life for themselves is really heart-breaking.

Not sure where would be a good place to emigrate to - I have a lot of family here and I really don't want to emigrate as far as Australia or NZ. England is in a dire situation itself but perhaps holds more hope for a future. We are both upset and angry about how this country has gone down the tubes and how those who contributed least to the mess seem to be the ones paying for it however we both also love this country, its landscape, its people and its wit so would find it very difficult to leave.
    Very hard to know what is the best thing to do.

What's stopping you from emigrating to a country where ENGLISH isn't the first language? Why are the UK, AUS and NZ the only ones on your list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

What's stopping you from emigrating to a country where ENGLISH isn't the first language? Why are the UK, AUS and NZ the only ones on your list?

im going to take a wild guess at the fact that she only speaks english?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

karlog wrote: »
    THE WORLD IS F*CKED!!!!
    I'll be happy to leave just as long as the "joker" who spawned that saying is willing to stay in the country so I'm certain I never to hear from him again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Msmini

If you had no debts or responsibilities in Ireland and had the opportunity to move abroad to work in the same job you have here, would you do it?

As we're all well-aware, our taxes and our children's children's children's taxes will be used to pay for the epic financial f*ckups of others between now and kingdom come, and spending cuts will guarantee that we'll get nothing in return.

Wouldn't it be ideal to go live in a country where the majority of taxes will go towards worthwhile things, like health, education and shiny things? Or is doing one's patriotic duty and staying here to help the company to get back on it's feet The Right Thing to do?

Edit: can't add a poll for some reason...
    Hey there, new to boards.ie as a member but have found it in the past to be like an invisible best friend, faceless but a giver of great advice... Anyhow I'm in a pickle as to whether to move to Australia for a year or 2??? I'm 33 year old single, homeowner (no boast...but puts you in the picture that mortgage will have to be paid in my absence), currently in a job which I dislike but it just about (and I mean just about) pays the bills...Have no college qualification, but if I may say a great CV and have some excellent experience behind me with International companies, and also worked in the Hospitality Industry running my own business.. But people, I'm fed up of the constant struggling, and penny pinching...Anyone with any advice on moving to Aus, don't seem to be having any luck on finding a Visa when I don't seem to be "Skilled" so to speak??
    Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Many Thanks
    Msmini

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

You would be safer posting in the Australia & NZ thread but since you don't have a skill and are over the age for a WHV the chances are well stacked against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

squod wrote: »
    People are still voting FF. Go now, it's you're only hope.
    . . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭EarlERizer

I'll be happy to leave just as long as the "joker" who spawned that saying is willing to stay in the country so I'm certain I never to hear from him again.

Here's the culprit (ref 1:07 in) He's based here most of the time but he travels around,so,will you be staying or going?

:D

Anyway,getting back on topic........OP, Don't waste your time thinking of patriotism,The powers that be have acted like anything other than patriotic towards the people,how dare they ask us to do as they don't!! GO,get out of here before it all goes to hell altogether,you dont owe us or the country anything,look after yourself & your family,they're the only ones that should matter.If you can make a clean break go for it, Best of luck to you & yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Number 5

I had a full time job in Ireland, my partner had a full time job in Ireland, we also have responsibilities at home in Ireland but moved to Australia 8 months ago.
    No point in waiting for things to get any worst. Read the papers online everyday and know we made the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Lemsiper wrote: »
    Just so you know, doing vountary work is against the rules of being on the dole as it means you're not available for full time employment.

That's completely wrong. Voluntary work (WPP) is created by FÀS and is encouraged for those wanting to build up experience so they have a better chance of landing a real, paying job in their field.

I've had meetings with FÀS officers about this job I'm currently in, I told them that instead of taking up a paying job I'm going to see this voluntary job until my contract is up in May because I'm gaining far more experience than I would with whatever jobs are currently going out there. They told me it was right thing to do as I'll have a better chance over others when I do apply for a job.

I highly, highly recommend it. How are people expected to be on the WPP and not recieve any money? That just isn't logical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

This thread is proof positive that most people cant handle life when the going gets tough.

Ireland is still home and people were perfectly happy to stay here when the going was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

If you had no debts or responsibilities in Ireland and had the opportunity to move abroad to work in the same job you have here, would you do it?

why would you need to do that? if youve a secure job and no debts you are the right side of the divide, and can have a great life here. Why would you need to leave? Increased tax will be offset to some extent by cheaper cost of living.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

well i'm 30, no job in a LONNNNNNNNG time, been through a fas course, been through JB. was refused JA. OH now supporting me.......... i'm outta here..........as soon as i can scrape enough cash together! (read: sell belongings) want to start a family soon but here and now is not the time...and mother nature aint prepared to wait til IMF loan is paid back LOL

in before the superlock.

Anyway, I'm staying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭cypharius

orourkeda wrote: »
    This thread is proof positive that most people cant handle life when the going gets tough. don't want to live the rest of there lives paying for other peoples mistakes.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Helix wrote: »
    im going to take a wild guess at the fact that she only speaks english?

I'm going to take a wild guess here as well. There was a time when you probably didn't know how to drive. What did you do to rectify the situation? Took lessons maybe?

If she can't speak a foreign language what should she do to rectify the situation? (don't strain yourself now).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭yosemite_sam

Stay and fight, make sure everything you purchase is made in Ireland. We need to knuckle down and work our way out of this mess, it is the only way

Advertisement