Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abandon ship or stay and struggle?

Options
  • 26-11-2010 4:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

If you had no debts or responsibilities in Ireland and had the opportunity to move abroad to work in the same job you have here, would you do it?

As we're all well-aware, our taxes and our children's children's children's taxes will be used to pay for the epic financial f*ckups of others between now and kingdom come, and spending cuts will guarantee that we'll get nothing in return.

Wouldn't it be ideal to go live in a country where the majority of taxes will go towards worthwhile things, like health, education and shiny things? Or is doing one's patriotic duty and staying here to help the company to get back on it's feet The Right Thing to do?

Edit: can't add a poll for some reason...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bah to this thread, Bah to your first 2 posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

People are still voting FF. Go now, it's you're only hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Depends where abroad is? Are we talking somewhere sunny full of good looking women?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Emigration has passed through my mind a bit over the previous weeks. At the moment situation is that I have a job however it is in sales so every month there is a target to reach which is getting harder and harder as there is no money out there. Not reaching targets consistently means job is not safe.

OH has gone back to college and is receiving no help from the State - has managed to get a few weeks work over Christmas which will help.

We are both 31 and are hoping to start a family within the next year but the thoughts of our children then having to emigrate to make a life for themselves is really heart-breaking.

Not sure where would be a good place to emigrate to - I have a lot of family here and I really don't want to emigrate as far as Australia or NZ. England is in a dire situation itself but perhaps holds more hope for a future. We are both upset and angry about how this country has gone down the tubes and how those who contributed least to the mess seem to be the ones paying for it however we both also love this country, its landscape, its people and its wit so would find it very difficult to leave.
    Very hard to know what is the best thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

listermint wrote: »
    Bah to this thread, Bah to your first 2 posts.

having a bad day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Moigno wrote: »
    If you had no debts or responsibilities in Ireland and had the opportunity to move abroad to work in the same job you have here, would you do it?

yep, the Poles can hold the fort here for us :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

optogirl wrote: »
    Emigration has passed through my mind a bit over the previous weeks. At the moment situation is that I have a job however it is in sales so every month there is a target to reach which is getting harder and harder as there is no money out there. Not reaching targets consistently means job is not safe.

OH has gone back to college and is receiving no help from the State - has managed to get a few weeks work over Christmas which will help.

We are both 31 and are hoping to start a family within the next year but the thoughts of our children then having to emigrate to make a life for themselves is really heart-breaking.

Not sure where would be a good place to emigrate to - I have a lot of family here and I really don't want to emigrate as far as Australia or NZ. England is in a dire situation itself but perhaps holds more hope for a future. We are both upset and angry about how this country has gone down the tubes and how those who contributed least to the mess seem to be the ones paying for it however we both also love this country, its landscape, its people and its wit so would find it very difficult to leave.
    Very hard to know what is the best thing to do.

I'm in the same boat as you except for relationship and kids tying me here. Hopeful of having a job in UK before Xmas, otherwise I'm off to Co. Bondi

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

0_o
    Even if you have a child in the next 12 months, it will be a further 22 years before the "need" to emigrate even becomes an issue. Nobody can say whether or not emigration will be at the same level in five years, never mind 23 years.
    If I had my current job and no debts or responsibilities in Ireland, I'd be living it up and enjoying life. I'd see no need to emigrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

If you had no debts or responsibilities in Ireland and had the opportunity to move abroad to work in the same job you have here, would you do it?.

Yep:D
    Off to Oz for a year in January, with my current job waiting for me for in January 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

If you had no debts or responsibilities in Ireland

I have neither, fortunately, doing full-time voluntary work and I'm surviving extremely well on the dole. I spend very little a week and I'm constantly saving up for that shìtstorm day when this current relatively good period for me ends.

As for leaving here, it's crossed my mind plenty of times but many friends have had unsuccessful attempts at living abroad only to come back with debts on their heads.

That and I'd miss the craíc round here too much :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

squod wrote: »
    People are still voting FF. Go now, it's you're only hope.

I know. I'm honestly fúcking despondent lately.

wtf is wrong with people

• Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

ive gotten a better job abroad and am gone in a few days. could not have timed it better if i tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

We are both 31 and are hoping to start a family within the next year but the thoughts of our children then having to emigrate to make a life for themselves is really heart-breaking. .

So you're not pregnant just yet, which means that it will be AT LEAST 20 years before this may/possibly/perhaps become an issue for you, and you are heart broken over it:confused:

Seriously people. We all need to take a step back here.

Why the bejayus should we worry TODAY about something that may, or may not happen, in 20 years to children who don't even exist yet:rolleyes:

If we were all to think like this, we'd be in the nuthouse:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Fittle wrote: »
    So you're not pregnant just yet, which means that it will be AT LEAST 20 years before this may/possibly/perhaps become an issue for you, and you are heart broken over it:confused:

Seriously people. We all need to take a step back here.

Why the bejayus should we worry TODAY about something that may, or may not happen, in 20 years to children who don't even exist yet:rolleyes:

If we were all to think like this, we'd be in the nuthouse:eek:

shhhhhhh!

the more of them that go... the more lovely jobs for the rest of us! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pindababe

Ireland has a
    Bilateral Social Security Agreement

this means that you have the right to claim social security(welfare ) sometimes you can get it from both countries I dont know all the details but its with several countries and maybe it will help you make a decision if you know the financial risk wasn't so high

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭shebango

Abandon ship. Definitely.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

I've lived in other countries but ya never beat the craic in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

If possible stay and struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

The captain(we all know who that is) should go down with his ship. Everyone else abandon it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

bonerm wrote: »
    Depends where abroad is? Are we talking somewhere sunny full of good looking women?

i was in miami last week, staying in miami beach, it was extremely hard to leave :( hot and i mean very hot irish women there too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭marcsignal

for anyone whos thinking about riding out the storm here, this site might interest you.

Leave the shop if you're young and single. Why not like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

marcsignal wrote: »
    for anyone whos thinking about riding out the storm here, this site might interest you.

That site told me to leave now while I could still only afford the ticket this year..........:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭red menace

I moved to Canada in September along with my wife.
    My job was ok but hers was looking shakey, so we decided to jump before we were pushed.

We almost bought a house 2 years ago but I pulled out before we signed the contracts because we were getting the run around from the estate agents and solicitors.

So far liking it a lot, and don't regret the move, but it is hard work starting from zero in a new country, all your credit ratings etcx go out the window so it is a bit of work.

Plus I did my bit for the economy the guy who got my job had been unemployed since the previous Feb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

rossie1977 wrote: »
    i was in miami last week, staying in miami beach, it was extremely hard to leave :( hot and i mean very hot irish women there too
    So thats where they are hiding, I have you now my lovelies :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I won't blame anyone for leaving if they had the opportunity to find a better life abroad. Even if you have a job that supports you, the mood in the country is relentlessly grinding down peoples spirits, dread to think what it'll be like in 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Lemsiper

Duggy747 wrote: »
    I have neither, fortunately, doing full-time voluntary work and I'm surviving extremely well on the dole. I spend very little a week and I'm constantly saving up for that shìtstorm day when this current relatively good period for me ends.

As for leaving here, it's crossed my mind plenty of times but many friends have had unsuccessful attempts at living abroad only to come back with debts on their heads.

That and I'd miss the craíc round here too much :pac:

Just so you know, doing vountary work is against the rules of being on the dole as it means you're not available for full time employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Ireland is a tiny country perfectly situated. If we could just get everybody pointed in the same direction working towards the same thing we could achieve just about anything. I think the average person needs to find a way to get involved in the running of this country, make it mean more to people and have it make more sense to the citizens.

Ireland and it's people have huge untapped potential we just seem to unwilling to get involved we expect to be waited on hand and foot by the state when it should be the other way around.

This country could be great, if we knew what we actually wanted I have no doubt we could achieve it easily. My point is don't leave stay and help make it the country you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭Iorras55

As we're all well-aware, our taxes and our children's children's children's taxes will be used to pay for the epic financial f*ckups of others between now and kingdom come, and spending cuts will guarantee that we'll get nothing in return.

Wouldn't it be ideal to go live in a country where the majority of taxes will go towards worthwhile things, like health, education and shiny things? Or is doing one's patriotic duty and staying here to help the company to get back on it's feet The Right Thing to do?

Edit: can't add a poll for some reason...

I despair when I see some of the posters who have replied to your perfectly reasonable question here. No wonder I got sent to jail when I first tried to post on this forum - couldn't take someone with a bit of intelligence (well, a little anyway). Have you got a good job abroad? I'm afraid I would take it. At the moment the Irish seem to be beyond credulity in their corruptness, cronyism and all the other stuff that Fintan O'Toole explains excellently in his 'Ship of Fools'. If they ever get their act together you can always return but I think that's unlikely. My own son has just thrown in a really good job in the UK to take one paying far less here - the cause - love! His girlfriend has tried for the last year to get a job in the UK wihere she could have joined him but failed - and he has several years experience in Ireland. So, she has stuck with her job and he has come back. Personally, I think he must be love struck mad. This Government has a lot further to turn the screw on all the ordinary people of this country while still ignoring their horrendous failures such as giving away the entire natural resources worth hundreds of billions of euros, of this country to foreign MNC's with nothing in return. Sheer lunacy!:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

stay, struggle and fight on my behalf while I emigrate

Advertisement