Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When choosing a dog why....?

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

While I'm very sorry you had such bad experiences with the dogs you rescued, the idea that bad behaviours like food/toy guarding cannot be unlearned is a load of tosh and with respect, you don't know what you're talking about.

Where have you been that you've seen dogs "in cages?" Our dogs have a kennel in two portions, one indoor, one outdoor (with a roof) that measures about 20 feet by 6 feet. They get regular walks and have access to safely enclosed exercise paddocks. And we always separate all the dogs at feeding time. Most dogs are with us about a month - too short a time for nuisance behaviours to become as ingrained as you suggest. Most behavioural issues are remarkably easy to cure with consistency and positive or negative reinforcement. Serious aggression issues are thankfully rare. I think you also under-estimate how remarkably resilient dogs can be in coping with a change of environment or a change of ownership.

Again I am sorry things went horribly wrong with both your dogs, but such cases are the exception rather than the rule. My dog is a rescue and she is now a qualified Irish Therapy Dog who gives comfort to elderly patients in a nursing home.

Please don't tar all rescue dogs - or rescue groups - with the same brush.
    ShaShaBear wrote: »

I will never, ever get another dog from a rescue centre again. I have recently seen the conditions they are kept in - in large cages with at least two other dogs, where they have to fight each other for food and attention. With older dogs, this habit cannot be unlearned. I would never be able to trust another adult rescue dog again after experiences like this.

I am aware that not all people have the same experience with rescue dogs, but after being abandoned, whether stray or genuine surrender, they feel a lack of trust, lonliness and fear. Having to compete with other dogs for the food bowl they generally share in their cage, as well as for the attention of the employees at the rescue centre is a habit most rescue dogs will never drop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well on this topic, I would like to add that I have taken in a total of two rescue dogs. The first one from my local rescue centre. He was absolutely darling. A ginger-coloured terrier cross by the name of Brandy. We took him home, he was as good as gold in the car, was a bit iffy on toilet training for a day or two, but we expected that with nerves. For a month or so everything seemed fine, until one day my sister (at the time she was 8 years old) tried to put her leftover ham sandwich into the dog's bowl as he was eating, and he almost took her middle finger off. Unfortunately, my father was insistant that she had probably made the dog think she was taking his food, and that was the end of it. Until a month later, when my mother and father had a bit of a spat in the kitchen, my dad raised his voice a tad too high, and Brandy tore my mother's ankle to pieces, got her to the ground, and cornered her behind the kitchen door for an hour while we waited on the dog warden to arrive.
    Brandy was euthanised three hours after the dog warden came to pick him up. He did not file charges for the stitches he had to receive on his hand or face due our dog.

My second dog was a 2 year old collie cross, which was named Lexx. I got him with my boyfriend when we moved in together from another rescue centre and I was home full time caring for him. I babysat my boyfriends newborn niece and nephew regularly, and I could have trusted Lexx with them no bother. Even when they began to crawl, pulling out of him and screaming at him, he never so much as laid back his ears. After one year, my boyfriend was on the couch with the dog on his lap watching a DVD when I came in the door. I sat down and leaned over to kiss my boyfriend and cuddle Lexx, and the result was a permanent scar on my elbow from where Lexx ripped a large portion of skin off out of jealousy. He was euthanised at the end of May last year.

I will never, ever get another dog from a rescue centre again. I have recently seen the conditions they are kept in - in large cages with at least two other dogs, where they have to fight each other for food and attention. With older dogs, this habit cannot be unlearned. I would never be able to trust another adult rescue dog again after experiences like this.

My family dog, bought for €20 off a family friend one year after Brandy had been put to sleep, is now six years old. He has never growled, snapped at or bitten anyone. He was taught from 11 weeks of age that his toys, food bowl and other "pack members" would be touched and taken from him at any stage. I imagine we will be lucky enough to keep him until his days are done.

I am aware that not all people have the same experience with rescue dogs, but after being abandoned, whether stray or genuine surrender, they feel a lack of trust, lonliness and fear. Having to compete with other dogs for the food bowl they generally share in their cage, as well as for the attention of the employees at the rescue centre is a habit most rescue dogs will never drop.

I run a rescue centre and dogs never have to fight for food here. They all get fed seperately. The dogs spend time in the kennel block, but they also all spend time in my home every day and get off lead free exercise every day in my fully fenced fields.

Please tell us where this rescue centre is that you have recently visited, and maybe it can be reported and closed down if the dogs truly are living in those conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

ISDW wrote: »
    Please tell us where this rescue centre is that you have recently visited, and maybe it can be reported and closed down if the dogs truly are living in those conditions.
    +1 what "rescue" was this? I would be very interested in having a look myself.

You had the second dog for a year! So you should probably look at how he was being treated in home. A year is a very long time for a dog and that behaviour trait was more than likely related to something within your own home.

A terrier managed to "tear her ankle to pieces", knock her to the ground and then corner your mother in the kitchen for an hour while your father was in the room? Seriously? What was your father doing at this time? My dog wouldn't be able to do that and he's a large dog (he'd be able to knock me of course but corner me for an hour, no hope). Not to mention the fact that a dog would be unlikely to have the attention span to trap someone in a corner for that long. Most would have either attacked, or lost interest.

Also what area was this dog warden in, I have never heard of a warden coming out within an hour. Or even a day. I would be interested to know where he is, a good warden like that is hard to find.

I have been involved with various rescues and have met only 1 properly aggressive dog. Who is now living in an understanding home who can help him. You must have been very unlucky to meet 2 out of the 2 dogs you've had experience with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

I will never, ever get another dog from a rescue centre again. I have recently seen the conditions they are kept in - in large cages with at least two other dogs, where they have to fight each other for food and attention.

I have to agree with the others, no 'rescue' would keep dogs too closely confined and certainly not have a situation where they would be fighting for food. Definately not the circumstances in the rescue I cvolunteer for. Depending on a rescues set up they could have 2 or three dogs in a dog run together but it would be of suitable size and the dogs would get on together or they'd be moved.

Was this a council pound you got the dogs from rather than a rescue? So many people mix them up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Well on this topic, I would like to add that I have taken in a total of two rescue dogs. The first one from my local rescue centre. He was absolutely darling. A ginger-coloured terrier cross by the name of Brandy. We took him home, he was as good as gold in the car, was a bit iffy on toilet training for a day or two, but we expected that with nerves. For a month or so everything seemed fine, until one day my sister (at the time she was 8 years old) tried to put her leftover ham sandwich into the dog's bowl as he was eating, and he almost took her middle finger off. Unfortunately, my father was insistant that she had probably made the dog think she was taking his food, and that was the end of it. Until a month later, when my mother and father had a bit of a spat in the kitchen, my dad raised his voice a tad too high, and Brandy tore my mother's ankle to pieces, got her to the ground, and cornered her behind the kitchen door for an hour while we waited on the dog warden to arrive.
    Brandy was euthanised three hours after the dog warden came to pick him up. He did not file charges for the stitches he had to receive on his hand or face due our dog.

My second dog was a 2 year old collie cross, which was named Lexx. I got him with my boyfriend when we moved in together from another rescue centre and I was home full time caring for him. I babysat my boyfriends newborn niece and nephew regularly, and I could have trusted Lexx with them no bother. Even when they began to crawl, pulling out of him and screaming at him, he never so much as laid back his ears. After one year, my boyfriend was on the couch with the dog on his lap watching a DVD when I came in the door. I sat down and leaned over to kiss my boyfriend and cuddle Lexx, and the result was a permanent scar on my elbow from where Lexx ripped a large portion of skin off out of jealousy. He was euthanised at the end of May last year.

My family dog, bought for €20 off a family friend one year after Brandy had been put to sleep, is now six years old. He has never growled, snapped at or bitten anyone. He was taught from 11 weeks of age that his toys, food bowl and other "pack members" would be touched and taken from him at any stage. I imagine we will be lucky enough to keep him until his days are done.

I would also be interested to know where you seen such conditions in a rescue centre? It sounds appalling and should be reported or at least investigated to see if what you say is true. I have never seen a rescue where dogs have to fight for food, if dogs get on well with each other then they share with 1 or 2 other dogs in a pen at least 10' x 10', it's not financially possible to have a pen for each dog sometimes.

I have my rescue dog for nearly 3 years now and he hasn't once shown any sign of aggression towards a human, while he is eating I can put my hand into his bowl and pick it up (he shared a pen with 2 other dogs in the rescue), other dogs can shove him out of the way and eat out of his bowl and he will just walk away (I obviously don't let this happen on purpose but it has happened only once or twice).

You have a lot of misconceptions about rescue dogs and rescues. You had 2 bad experiences which could've easily happened with a non-rescue dog but don't let that put you off another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Both rescue centres are in the North-East of Ireland, and I did say "large cages" because that's exactly what they look like. Large pens, concrete at the bottom, wire mesh around the top, communal running area on the inside. One of these rescue centres also runs a boarding kennel, which I assure you has a much better standard of condition. Let me assure you that I am in no way tarring rescue dogs, or maiming them in any way. I am a qualified veterinary nurse, and have volunteered with animals from I was 13 years old. I firmly believe that every dog deserves a second chance, the point I am trying to get across is that people should not be suggesting rescue dogs to everyone looking a new canine companion. They require a lot of hard work, understanding, patience and time. So much of it, in fact, that a lot of people who genuinly have their heart in the right place end up over their heads. I also agree that not all rescue dogs develop behavioural issues, but I am also aware that, while you may keep a dog in the utmost of excellent conditions, you never really know what they will be like upon being rehomed.
    With the case of my terrier Brandy, my mother and father are seperated, and he didn't stick around to help - that's as far as I am willing to get into it. I would have attempted to help, but my mother, being a mother, did not want me anywhere near the dog. Secondly, my mother fell quite easily after Brandy had gotten a hold on her ankle, she was smart enough to back herself into a corner where she would appear less of a threat to the dog.
    As for the collie, the backstory we were given is that the previous owner did a DIY job of a "dock-and-cock" of his ears and tail, and when the infection set in, he left him into the vets and never came back for him. I can assure you he was treated very well while I had him, and he was also trained to know he was not head of the pack. Clearly he still had issues, whether it was territorial or simply possessive I do not know, but I am aware now that I do not have the skills to cope with the potential disaster an adult rescue dog CAN pose (note I say can, and not will).

I am aware that dogs that have not been there as long, and in better kept shelters probably have a better chance, but in my PERSONAL case, I carry the responsibility of having two rescue dogs put to sleep because I obviously was not qualified enough to meet their needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Both rescue centres are in the North-East of Ireland, and I did say "large cages" because that's exactly what they look like. Large pens, concrete at the bottom, wire mesh around the top, communal running area on the inside. One of these rescue centres also runs a boarding kennel, which I assure you has a much better standard of condition. Let me assure you that I am in no way tarring rescue dogs, or maiming them in any way. I am a qualified veterinary nurse, and have volunteered with animals from I was 13 years old. I firmly believe that every dog deserves a second chance, the point I am trying to get across is that people should not be suggesting rescue dogs to everyone looking a new canine companion. They require a lot of hard work, understanding, patience and time. So much of it, in fact, that a lot of people who genuinly have their heart in the right place end up over their heads. I also agree that not all rescue dogs develop behavioural issues, but I am also aware that, while you may keep a dog in the utmost of excellent conditions, you never really know what they will be like upon being rehomed.
    With the case of my terrier Brandy, my mother and father are seperated, and he didn't stick around to help - that's as far as I am willing to get into it. I would have attempted to help, but my mother, being a mother, did not want me anywhere near the dog. Secondly, my mother fell quite easily after Brandy had gotten a hold on her ankle, she was smart enough to back herself into a corner where she would appear less of a threat to the dog.
    As for the collie, the backstory we were given is that the previous owner did a DIY job of a "dock-and-cock" of his ears and tail, and when the infection set in, he left him into the vets and never came back for him. I can assure you he was treated very well while I had him, and he was also trained to know he was not head of the pack. Clearly he still had issues, whether it was territorial or simply possessive I do not know, but I am aware now that I do not have the skills to cope with the potential disaster an adult rescue dog CAN pose (note I say can, and not will).

I am aware that dogs that have not been there as long, and in better kept shelters probably have a better chance, but in my PERSONAL case, I carry the responsibility of having two rescue dogs put to sleep because I obviously was not qualified enough to meet their needs.

Is one of them in Louth? By any chance does it begin with C?

Collies are never usually docked or cropped so it puzzles me as to why someone would attempt to do it. :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Well on this topic, I would like to add that I have taken in a total of two rescue dogs. The first one from my local rescue centre.

My second dog was a 2 year old collie cross, which was named Lexx. I got him with my boyfriend when we moved in together from another rescue centre

I will never, ever get another dog from a rescue centre again. I have recently seen the conditions they are kept in - in large cages with at least two other dogs, where they have to fight each other for food and attention.

So you got a rescue dog that had to be put down. Then you went & got another dog from a different rescue. But you say that you have only recently seen the conditions that they are kept in.

I have never seen the conditions that you describe. As others have said it sounds like you were looking at exercise areas. As a Vet nurse you would know that the first behavioural issue needed sorting out urgently especially with young children in the house. It sound like Brandy was under the belief that he should "guard" your father.

The second incident is surprisingly similar to the first. As a Vet nurse you know that dogs can be rehabilitated. You also know that dogs are never aggressive without a good reason.
    and he was also trained to know he was not head of the pack.

This may be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

the point I am trying to get across is that people should not be suggesting rescue dogs to everyone looking a new canine companion. They require a lot of hard work, understanding, patience and time. So much of it, in fact, that a lot of people who genuinly have their heart in the right place end up over their heads.

That is such a gross generalisation. You can't pigeon-hole all rescue dogs like that. They come from all kinds of backgrounds, and come in every conceivable breed and age group. Some rescue dogs settle in to their new homes effortlessly. Some are impeccably trained. Older dogs especially are no trouble at all. There's no more hard work, understanding, patience and time involved than there is in purchasing a young puppy. (In fact, I think a rescued adult dog is far less work than a puppy!) Besides, a good rescue will match the right dog to the right person - clearly in your family's case this sadly wasn't so.

By the way it's possible the rescue you visited is funded through voluntary donations and the private kennels may help fund the rescue side of things. That would explain the discrepancy in housing.

I think I know the rescue you're talking about with the boarding kennels attached, would love to know how you got in to see the dogs, as I rehomed a dog from there a few years ago and wasn't allowed through the barrier, I didn't think anyone was. Is it also the local pound?

She is a fantastic dog, and was incredibly friendly when we collected her, I wouldn't have thought she had to fight for her food there.

• Advertisement

I think I know the rescue you're talking about with the boarding kennels attached, would love to know how you got in to see the dogs, as I rehomed a dog from there a few years ago and wasn't allowed through the barrier, I didn't think anyone was. Is it also the local pound?

She is a fantastic dog, and was incredibly friendly when we collected her, I wouldn't have thought she had to fight for her food there.

Because the rescue kennels themselves were outdoors. I don't know what the inside looked like, but if those pens were their outside runs, I would be horrified. They were covered in urine, and some of them with 6 or 7 small dogs confined to one. The one Brandy himself was in, with 6 other dogs, one of which had a scar from being bitten by another dog, and another who was vomiting and shivering on a nice Summer day, was roughly (I'm not good with numbers) 2 x 2 metres. Maybe enough for one small dog to exercise in, definetely not for any more than two or three. And no, it is not the local pound, or at least it wasn't.

Apologies if I sounded like I was dissing shelter dogs, I was trying to get the point across that it is definetely not the best option for some people.

And to the poster who said "training the dog to understand he was not the leader of the pack" was a possible reason for him being agressive, I believe I was referring to my 6 year old border collie, the non-rescue, who has never shown agressive signs.

I will rephrase my previous statement. I would never again adopt a shelter dog UNLESS I could be given a full account of their history, both medically and tempermentally.
    If I saw a dog in their later years who had been surrendered with care and treated very well before appearing in the pound, I would probably consider it. But dogs with violent background, well, I'd just be afraid of the same thing happening again. I would rather see them go to someone far more capable of dealing with them.
    Actually lets get one thing straight, if I went to a rescue centre tomorrow, I'd likely cry and take them all home.
    I've just had bad experiences with two shelters which lead me to believe that unless I am 100% fully informed on the dog I am taking home, that it's probably not a good idea. Neither shelter asked if there were small children in the house, or if anyone would be there to look after the dog. Probably a lack of professionalism in both cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Meteoric

Neither shelter asked if there were small children in the house, or if anyone would be there to look after the dog. Probably a lack of professionalism in both cases.
    This is kinda what I was trying to say before, if someone will give/sell you a dog without trying to find out the situation the dog will be going to, and not saying what should happen should there be problems or if you should not take to the dog and need to re-re-home them. Any responsible Breeder/Rescue will want to know where the dog is going and will tell you every likely complication that could arise given the history of the dog.

For example, My dog can be horribly bouncy, but he grew up around a kid belonging to my landlady at the time, he is very good with kids, does not bounce up and puts up with a lot. He does not know that he should be more careful around old people. If, God Forbid, I had to re-home him he is not suitable for a home with Elderly people without a bit more training but would be perfect for a family with kids. A previous dog my family had was a bit too exuberant with kids but knew my grandparents so knew he had to be careful with them.

Apologies if I sounded like I was dissing shelter dogs, I was trying to get the point across that it is definetely not the best option for some people.

I would never again adopt a shelter dog UNLESS I could be given a full account of their history, both medically and tempermentally.

That's quite a contradiction. Your conditions are so impossibly tight that it effectively makes a rescue a no go.

Some rescues, such as the Dogs Trust have a thorough assessment program to determine if the dog is right for the owner & more importantly that the owner is right for the dog. So one of their dogs could easily be the best option for anyone. You are tarring all rescues with the same brush.

Thousands of rescue dogs are rehomed every year & the vast majority stay happily in their new homes. As a Vet nurse you must know this. You also know that medical history can be irrelevant. One of my dogs has had two breast tumours removed. The implication could be that she will need more treatment but in reality it was two years ago & there have been no further problems.

Have you discussed this with the Vets at your practice ?. Your client records are full of hundreds of people who are happy with their rescue dogs. I trust that you do not convey your views to clients who mention that they are considering a rescue.

The rescues are on a hiding to nothing. If they take the DT route then they are accused of being too choosy about who they allow to rehome & if they don't assess then people complain about getting the wrong dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Discodog wrote: »
    The rescues are on a hiding to nothing. If they take the DT route then they are accused of being too choosy about who they allow to rehome & if they don't assess then people complain about getting the wrong dog.

Unfortunately there is no 'one size fits all' solution however if those who can or wish to rescue rescue and those who can or wish to buy only went to reputable breeders it would go a long way to helping the unwanted dog situation here.

Some rescues, such as the Dogs Trust have a thorough assessment program to determine if the dog is right for the owner & more importantly that the owner is right for the dog. So one of their dogs could easily be the best option for anyone. You are tarring all rescues with the same brush.

I am from a small semi-rural area. The two shelters I visited were privately-, one when I was 16, the other when I was 22. They most certainly did not make sure the owner was right for the dog, since he clearly had resource-guarding problems at an adult stage ( he did not develop that over the space of a few weeks at home) and they did not ask if my 8 year old sister (present for the adoption, which happened there and then) would be able to cope with a nervous dog.

Have you discussed this with the Vets at your practice ?. Your client records are full of hundreds of people who are happy with their rescue dogs. I trust that you do not convey your views to clients who mention that they are considering a rescue.

I am currently out of work. Recession and all that jazz. But, obviously, my opinion on rescue dogs is my own. However, if someone told me they were considering adopting from one of the shelters I visited, I would subtedly guide them to somewhere more reputable, like Dog's Trust, as you mentioned.

The point here being that not all shelters are run so perfectly as the likes of Dog's Trust etc. Some are no more sure about the dog than they are about the owner. Even at the age I was, I was rather suspicious that when I said "That one, oh he's lovely" and she simply took him out of the cage, and into a small shed to fill out a form with us. Not a single question about us. He could have been going straight to a dog-fighting ring for all she knew. There was also no follow-up, like I've heard a lot of rescues do these days. Mind you, he was back in institutional care on a euthanisation list within a month, so there may not have been time. The warden told us he had gone stir mad, pooping everywhere, screaming loudly, lunged at the mesh of his pen if people got too close. Hence why he was put to sleep so quick. And no, he did not have rabies, or anything to that effect.
    As a kid, it took me years to get over the fact that I was convinced it was bad ownership on my part that caused this dog to die. Only recently have I come to terms with the fact that the shelter were probably just glad to see him rehomed.

I am from a small semi-rural area. The two shelters I visited were privately-, one when I was 16, the other when I was 22. They most certainly did not make sure the owner was right for the dog, since he clearly had resource-guarding problems at an adult stage ( he did not develop that over the space of a few weeks at home) and they did not ask if my 8 year old sister (present for the adoption, which happened there and then) would be able to cope with a nervous dog.

I am currently out of work. Recession and all that jazz. But, obviously, my opinion on rescue dogs is my own. However, if someone told me they were considering adopting from one of the shelters I visited, I would subtedly guide them to somewhere more reputable, like Dog's Trust, as you mentioned.

The point here being that not all shelters are run so perfectly as the likes of Dog's Trust etc. Some are no more sure about the dog than they are about the owner. Even at the age I was, I was rather suspicious that when I said "That one, oh he's lovely" and she simply took him out of the cage, and into a small shed to fill out a form with us. Not a single question about us. He could have been going straight to a dog-fighting ring for all she knew. There was also no follow-up, like I've heard a lot of rescues do these days. Mind you, he was back in institutional care on a euthanisation list within a month, so there may not have been time. The warden told us he had gone stir mad, pooping everywhere, screaming loudly, lunged at the mesh of his pen if people got too close. Hence why he was put to sleep so quick. And no, he did not have rabies, or anything to that effect.
    As a kid, it took me years to get over the fact that I was convinced it was bad ownership on my part that caused this dog to die. Only recently have I come to terms with the fact that the shelter were probably just glad to see him rehomed.

I'm sorry but I am totally confused by your posts. In your original post you said that you had recently seen the conditions, yet now you say it was when you were 16 and 22:confused:

And which dog is it that was euthenised with 3 hours of leaving your home? Because in the post above, you say he was back in a shelter on the euthanisation list within a month, yet apparently you'd had him for at least 2 months. And that one was pts because he went stir crazy - within 3 hours? I thought Brandy was pts because he'd bitten your mother and the warden? BTW, if the warden comes to collect the dog, he goes to the pound, not to a shelter.

Obviously I'm just not understanding how and what your typing, because theres no way anyone would make this stuff up, what would be the point?

The two shelters I visited were privately-, one when I was 16, the other when I was 22.

Are you saying that your experience is based on something that happened at least six years ago ?.

I too am totally confused. :confused:

BTW There are plenty of highly reputable rescues other that the DT. I just used them as an example.

I'm sorry but I am totally confused by your posts. In your original post you said that you had recently seen the conditions, yet now you say it was when you were 16 and 22:confused:

And which dog is it that was euthenised with 3 hours of leaving your home? Because in the post above, you say he was back in a shelter on the euthanisation list within a month, yet apparently you'd had him for at least 2 months. And that one was pts because he went stir crazy - within 3 hours? I thought Brandy was pts because he'd bitten your mother and the warden? BTW, if the warden comes to collect the dog, he goes to the pound, not to a shelter.

Obviously I'm just not understanding how and what your typing, because theres no way anyone would make this stuff up, what would be the point?

Yes, as in I recently got to see the inside of these kennells that dogs were kept in, not just the "outside runs" as the volunteers claimed to call them.

And I said he was back in an institution, as far as I can remember - correct me if I'm wrong. I'm from a small town in Monaghan, the warden knows my family quite well, and informed my mother of the dog's behaviour from being released from the van, to getting put into a pen. Apparently he was so bad, the safest thing they could do for him was put him to sleep.
    And I meant a month after he had first bitten someone, which my family decided to deem as an accident. Apologies if I was not clear.

And I am basing it two experiences of my own, one that happened when I was 16, another at 22. I am 23 at the minute. And for the countless people that are going to come in and skitz at me for being a qualified vet. nurse at 23, don't even go there. I can see that my 2c worth in this topic has just resulted in a bunch of equally-opinionated people crushing my own opinion as incorrect and then subtedly suggesting that I would invent a story about two rehomed dogs that had to be put to sleep.

Apologies ISDW, but I dont know many people who would put that much effort into trolling.

To anyone considering a rescue dog, I would recommend asking a lot of questions about where the dog is being kept. I stand my decision when I say that, in MY case, the treatment of those dogs before they were rehomed by me, OR while in care at the shelter, were quite closely-related to their resulting behaviour. I am not saying all rescue dogs turn out that way, and I am not saying that all rescue centres treat their dogs that way. I am saying that SOME dogs turn out that way and SOME rescue centres, totally over-run and bogged down due to lack of funding and over population of unwanted dogs and puppies, are not as thorough as they might seem.

In the interests of clarity & to avoid any confusion I should point out that Louth Pound has performed really well according to the 2009 figures.

They seized 484 dogs & had 197 surrendered/collected yet they only put down 46. So they rehomed or had reclaimed 626 dogs - that's over 10 a week.
    I can see that my 2c worth in this topic has just resulted in a bunch of equally-opinionated people crushing my own opinion as incorrect and then subtedly suggesting that I would invent a story about two rehomed dogs that had to be put to sleep.

You have given some reasons why people should not get a rescue dog. Also you have given your profession as a Vet nurse which gives a lot of potential credence to your reasoning. Some people here run rescues, volunteer with rescues or know rescues & even more people here have rescue dogs that they adore.

It is hardly surprising that they may leap to the defence of your typical rescue dog & defend it against some of the sweeping statements that you have made.

The only reason that your "story" has been questioned is because the telling is so convoluted & unclear.

Discodog wrote: »
    In the interests of clarity & to avoid any confusion I should point out that Louth Pound has performed really well according to the 2009 figures.

They seized 484 dogs & had 197 surrendered/collected yet they only put down 46. So they rehomed or had reclaimed 626 dogs - that's over 10 a week.

You have given some reasons why people should not get a rescue dog. Also you have given your profession as a Vet nurse which gives a lot of potential credence to your reasoning. Some people here run rescues, volunteer with rescues or know rescues & even more people here have rescue dogs that they adore.

It is hardly surprising that they may leap to the defence of your typical rescue dog & defend it against some of the sweeping statements that you have made.

The only reason that your "story" has been questioned is because the telling is so convoluted & unclear.

I am not referring to Louth in either situation.
    I am not giving reasons as to why someone should not get a rescue dog. I am giving reasons as to why people should not suggest a rescue dog to just about anyone.
    My story is not unclear, my point hasn't gotten across.
    I am trying to say that *some* rescue dogs are much better off with a skilled and experienced new owner, rather than just someone who has their heart in the right place. It is a VERY commendable thing to do, but I do know other people besides myself who feel guilt and shame at having rehomed a dog they could not handle and ended up having to surrender the dog again. For other behavioural reasons other than agressiveness. If you think a little harder on the point I was trying to make, which is that not everyone is suited to looking after an abandoned and possibly abused or mistreated dog, you wouldn't think too hard on the "severity" of my story.
    While working in a practise in Dundalk, I saw so many unwanted dogs get put to sleep (especially greyhounds actually). I even witnessed a spaying of a labrador who was pregnant, and the owner wrote off those innocent creatures before they had a chance.
    You're preaching to the converted by telling me the advantages to rehoming a rescue dog. But I would rather see them go to the right home, that just any home at all.

Please tell me that makes more sense, I'm not trying to get under anyone's skin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

And for the countless people that are going to come in and skitz at me for being a qualified vet. nurse at 23, don't even go there.

How do you mean? I wouldn't think that would be hard for people to believe - lots of people are fully qualified vet surgeons/vet nurses by the time they're 23 (me for instance!) ;)

dvet wrote: »
    How do you mean? I wouldn't think that would be hard for people to believe - lots of people are fully qualified vet surgeons/vet nurses by the time they're 23 (me for instance!) ;)

You would be very surprised at the amount of people that laugh at me when I say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭dvet

You would be very surprised at the amount of people that laugh at me when I say that.

Wow... At 23 most people have left school with 6 years - more than enough time to become a vet nurse, a vet, or a (human) medical intern for that matter! :confused:

dvet wrote: »
    Wow... At 23 most people have left school with 6 years - more than enough time to become a vet nurse, a vet, or a (human) medical intern for that matter! :confused:

That's what I would have thought. I started studying when I was 18, almost 19, and graduated a month before I turned 22. I'm on my second degree now, and people seem to find that amusing :P I guess they're just jealous that I like studying :P

Advertisement