Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL offering TV with MPEG4 Tuner

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

its wall mountable not sure bout mheg5. im using it more as a second tv for the ps3. plus im getting the uk freeview and saorview.

I will be using it in the midwest, virtually no chance of picking up freeview. Did you try teletext on i? Apparently that's a good indication of whether or not it has mheg 5? If the teletext is interactive it has mheg 5

Did anyone pick one of the lidl sets up? I decided against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Deedsie wrote: »
    Did anyone pick one of the lidl sets up? I decided against it.

I got one but still getting to grips with it(I suppose theres not much you can do with a telly). Pictures great and its nice and thin and light, all the connections are there, bit strange the red/yellow/white and headphone socket are on the back of the telly not the side.

I was outside the one in Blanch shopping centre @ 8 and there was 6 of them and a hour later there was still the five left. I suppose the snow and then buying a new telly is the last thing some people can afford.

jeffk wrote: »
    I got one but still getting to grips with it(I suppose theres not much you can do with a telly). Pictures great and its nice and thin and light, all the connections are there, bit strange the red/yellow/white and headphone socket are on the back of the telly not the side.

I was outside the one in Blanch shopping centre @ 8 and there was 6 of them and a hour later there was still the five left. I suppose the snow and then buying a new telly is the last thing some people can afford.

I would love to get one but I cant justify it with Christmas and bills? Have you set it up to receive Soarview?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

I thought one of the Power City ones was cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

sony 32 inch in power city for 349.99 and a better one for 399.95

I would love to get one but I cant justify it with Christmas and bills? Have you set it up to receive Soarview?

How do you do that? lol. All ill use it for is standard video files on my media box and the odd dvd, the warranty sold it for me!

How do you do that? lol. All ill use it for is standard video files on my media box and the odd dvd, the warranty sold it for me!

That's what the appeal of the tv was for me. The fact that it is saorview compatible? I'm gonna leave it to watty and the lads to instruct you on how to set up saorview on it? I think you just need an aerial and away you go! Location permitting

That's what the appeal of the tv was for me. The fact that it is saorview compatible? I'm gonna leave it to watty and the lads to instruct you on how to set up saorview on it? I think you just need an aerial and away you go! Location permitting

If the lads/ladies tell me and I have an aerial(I assume) around somewhere that would work, then ill gladly test it out for people like yourself who would buy the telly because of this feature.

If the lads/ladies tell me and I have an aerial(I assume) around somewhere that would work, then ill gladly test it out for people like yourself who would buy the telly because of this feature.

Would rabbit ears do the job? Does it have to be a roof/attic mounted aerial?

• Advertisement

An indoor aerial works if the signal is strong enough. You can't know without trying.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=60897584&postcount=4
    1st aerial is worst

2nd aerial is best indoor kind

also see http://www.techtir.ie/radio-tv/uhf-aerials

I stuck an old aerial in and scanned analogue and got rte 1 and 2 ghost pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Try scanning digital;)

fat-tony wrote: »
    Try scanning digital;)

It comes up as no signal, again this is only an old aerial, im sure the proper one with the same connector as a sky box will work 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Not sure what you mean by "same connector as a SKY box"?
    Satellite cable connectors are the screw-in "F" type. Aerial connections usually are just the push-in type. Can you get TV3 / TG4 on the analogue scan at all? When you say you tried an old aerial, do you mean an indoor "rabbits ears" type or one which looks like a miniature version of an outdoor aerial? Indoor aerials really only work in strong signal areas. Try pointing the aerial towards the transmitter at a window or upstairs. If you can get a signal, but only in a particular location, then you may need an outdoor aerial or one mounted in the attic.

Just noticed your sig says "Blanch" as your location. I assume this is Blanchardstown? If so, you should get a reasonable signal from Three Rock. Point your aerial at the Dublin Mountains and scan Channel 54, which is the channel carrying the digital signals.

Some places there an indoor gets nothing.

Try Upstairs facing south. Then you know an indoor attic aerial or top of wardrobe etc upstairs, 12db Amp and extension cable will work.

Im trying with this http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...84&postcount=4 as i said id test it out if people wanted me to, I actually dont have a personal need for it.

I only looked quickly and assumed it was the same connection that the sky boxs use, I know it as coaxial cable.

At the minute on analogue its only rte 1 and 2, but its a mad old aerial that looks like an old commodore 64 joystick base.

Yes I assumed everyone knows it as Blanch and ive tried 54 on analogue and digital and theres no signal. Again this is only a test, im sure a proper aerial on the roof etc and we would be talking about channel numbers by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

jeffk, could you upload some pictures of the on screen graphics, epg and menus if possible, would be interesting to see how they look.

nikon1000 wrote: »
    jeffk, could you upload some pictures of the on screen graphics, epg and menus if possible, would be interesting to see how they look.

http://picasaweb.google.com/117994264212038034728/LidlTV?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_toafMndyrfQ#

I hope that works and what else do you want?? Menu and say a picture of sky connected via scart?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

And thats the reason you are receiving nothing Jeffk.

You need a UHF aerial. A VHF aerial is no good. The picture in your second scan. When it gets to 54 should find all stations. Stick a bent coathanger in the aerial port and rescan!

• Advertisement

STB wrote: »
    And thats the reason you are receiving nothing Jeffk.

You need a UHF aerial. A VHF aerial is no good. The picture in your second scan. When it gets to 54 should find all stations. Stick a bent coathanger in the aerial port and rescan!

Sorry these pics where on the morning I got the tv and was tuning sky in on the coxail cable(its back to scart now), so I let the tv install as you see in picture two.

Ill get a hanger now an try that....

http://picasaweb.google.com/117994264212038034728/LidlTV?authkey=Gv1sRgCM_toafMndyrfQ#5548005026740129970

Sorry but its a camera phone with no flash, i left the cable in and put some metal into the female end.

Does anyone want a picture of the actual station quality?

So jeff that latest picture is with a coat hanger ? That is all the DTT Digital channels.

If that is what you used and the picture is breaking up just get a UHF indoor aerial and place it by your window. Twill be fine then.

Thats just the menu and the not so great quality is from the light right above the tv and the phone picking it up more so. Thats the tv, theres another 8 or so radio ones, they are mainly rte, 2fm ,plus, an irish one.

Its not to bad as it is, but if I was using it as something id watch then id look into setting it up properly. Not to bad for a tv in a spare room or kitchen or that.

LOL

What had you plugged in to tune the stations ? The coathanger or the original aerial ?

I presume the picture (as in tv reception) is breaking up ?

I wasnt asking you about the quality of the picture you took with the camera!

A coaxial cable and then a bit of an old aerial or anything metal in the female part. I didnt wanna go jamming bits of metal into a connector of a plugged in new tv.

The pictures grand actually, all the camera and lighting conditions!

Jeff you are gas.

What is the quality of RTE1 etc ? Is it breaking up. A little indoor UHF aerial will sort that signal problem for you.

Dont plug yourself in as your a bit of live one.... :)

Advertisement