Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL offering TV with MPEG4 Tuner

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Watty you said that this TV won't work with Freeview HD channels, why is this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Different platform

DVB-T2 = Freeview HD
    DVB-T = Irish DTT

DVB-T2 will decode DVB-T but not the other way around.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The majority of people in Ireland are of course also too far from Wales, IOM or NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭jeffk

Im looking @ getting this telly, but there doesn't seem to be a clear line on if its worth it or not.I want to upgrade from an old 22" telly and its just for my bedroom for watching normal video files on my media box and the odd dvd.

Would it be as easy as its 32", has two scart connections and is cheap or @ least a bit cheaper than branded tvs that have a lower spec be enough to warrant a purchase? I tend to go for brands (mostly philips), but have heard good things about lidl/silvercrest and sure theres the warranty to back it up.

Thanks for any help

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I agree with Watty, it is not a great bargain. There are better TVs than this at about this price. The problem with this type of telly is that you cannot see how clunky the remote is, or how good the picture quality is. You need to be prepared to take it back if you are even slightly unhappy. The quality of the picture processing electronics might be less than on a major make.

It's you money and your choice.

• Advertisement

jeffk wrote: »

That looks like an MPEG-2 set to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

look at power city website

@Karsini Sorry I wasn't looking @ spec or codecs, just going on personal preferences on upgrading a tv.

@Watty Do you think the saving(if any) from power city would be better than getting a free three year warranty? Again im only using a tv at its most basic level, so im not including codec support etc

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jeffk wrote: »
    Is there a link to these better tvs, or a well this one in x shop is better?

I'd hate to say it, but I got a leaflet in the paper yesterday from Currys/PCworld with the LG 32LD450 for something like €380, full HD 1080p LCD. Got good revues. (The TV, not Currys) The extra few bob might be worth it, do not know about warranty though. Other retailers might better or match the price.

• Advertisement

I'd hate to say it, but I got a leaflet in the paper yesterday from Currys/PCworld with the LG 32LD450 for something like €380, full HD 1080p LCD. Got good revues. (The TV, not Currys) The extra few bob might be worth it, do not know about warranty though. Other retailers might better or match the price.

Thanks nice to get an idea of an actual shop/model number I can google. As its looking I think for a basic tv for a bedroom ill be going with the lidl one, I have bad luck with electronics and the warranty minus currys etc nominal rip off fee is a big plus.

Im assuming from what I can make out on the spec this had the red/white/yellow connection?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭cartman51773

the sony 32" is eligable for discount. i picked one up yesterday and i got 70 euro off it. 329.95 in total. and i check and its pulling in all the uk freeview and saorview and also the uk HD channels

• Registered Users Posts: 30,065 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Looks like a decent deal, 4 hdmi, 2 usb, 3 year warranty, 1080p. Of course picture quality, build quality are a bit of an unkown

you cant go wrong with a sony though. a cracker of a tv so far.

you cant go wrong with a sony though. a cracker of a tv so far.

@ cartman

Where did you buy the Sony? What exact model and price? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

Cartman, how are you getting the UK Freeview channels including HD? Can you plug a satellite cable straight in to it?

im right on the east coast so picking up uk freeview from wales and saorview from here.

Ah right, thanks for that. Just ordered one on line will collect in Tallaght later.

you should be able to pick up all the freeview. its picking them up for me. it may depend how close you are to the coast though. im right by the sea so nothing to block the signal. you can always check when you get it and if not happy bring it back or ask instore before you leave with it.

• Advertisement

I have great line of sight with 3 Rock mountain so I'll be able to get the local stations clear as a bell, I'm only a couple of miles away from it, but that mountain might block the signal from the UK, but will give it a try. I have a Sat 4 Free receiver and a Sky box so it's no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Cartman, how are you getting the UK Freeview channels including HD? Can you plug a satellite cable straight in to it?

It wont do Freeview HD. It would need a DVB-T2 tuner. Will be fine for Irish DTT incl HD and SD Freeview should you be in a place that receive it.

the sony 32" is eligable for discount. i picked one up yesterday and i got 70 euro off it. 329.95 in total. and i check and its pulling in all the uk freeview and saorview and also the uk HD channels

Hi again Cartman, I picked up my set tonight in Power City Tallaght and it doesn't qualify for the Vat back promo, how did you manage to get it and which Power City did you get it in, thanks?

i got it in power city in Drogheda. the guy said it qualified when i asked about the vat and gave me the money off it there and then. i didnt argue so happy days. how is your tv did you set it up

No not yet, it's a Christmas present for someone, looked the business in store though. You were lucky to get it for that price, it's deffo not one of the vat back sets in case anyone else is thinking of getting it, or else they should go to Drogheda!

looks like he made a mistake. its a great set and the amount of things it will do too. plus a great price. cant go too wrong with a sony

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

What price did you get it for cartman? It's €319 online? Does that tv have mheg 5?

it was 399.95 there are two sony 32" there but its the dearer one that i got.

then he knocked the 17.35% off

€330.00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

it was 399.95 there are two sony 32" there but its the dearer one that i got.

then he knocked the 17.35% off

€330.00

And does it have mheg 5? Is it wall mountable?

• Advertisement

its wall mountable not sure bout mheg5. im using it more as a second tv for the ps3. plus im getting the uk freeview and saorview.

Advertisement