Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All your discussion on budget cuts / 4 year plan announcements today goes here.

Options
  • 24-11-2010 10:28am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks,
    So today they're publishing the 15bn cuts plan, thought to hit the dole, the minimum wage and probably everything else.
    The Government will publish its €15bn plan for drastic savings today as it battles economic ruin against a backdrop of political turmoil and a further downgrading of the country's credit rating.

Significant tax hikes, new levies in property and water and cuts to the dole and minimum wage are expected in the 150-page four-year budget road map.

Taoiseach Brian Cowen has called for solidarity across the political system, while social justice campaigners demanded the poorest were spared.

Opposition parties were warned the country’s bail-out was only secure if swingeing cuts and tax rises and a more detailed €6bn Budget on December 7, were passed.

Read more: http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/drastic-cuts-plan-to-save-economy-482990.html#ixzz16BrgZx37
    [Mod]
    As this is big news and we don't want it to choke down AH, please keep all the discussion to this thread for the time being.
    [/mod]

I believe the correct term to use in this instance is "Ah feck."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Let the cutting commence

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I need a haircut. Does that count?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,978 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Hello folks,
    So today they're publishing the 15bn cuts plan, thought to hit the dole, the minimum wage and probably everything else.

[Mod]
    As this is big news and we don't want it to choke down AH, please keep all the discussion to this thread for the time being.
    [/mod]

I believe the correct term to use in this instance is "Ah feck."

A lot of people might be leaning towards "Ah bollocko." instead.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

Cuts?

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

anyone know when it's being announced/released?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Hello folks,
    "
    Adam wrote: »

super-rush wrote: »
    yes i can read that, i'm wondering if i should be keeping an eye out for it to hit news sites any minute or if i can relax until the turtlehead starts poking around lunch time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

2 o'clock afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

COME ON INCOME TAX HIKES!

God I do love income tax hikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

We should protest! I don't know why yet, but I'm sure there'll be something in it which doesn't please me! C'mon! Anyone who doesn't protest with me hates Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Any word on the Winter Cheese Allowance yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭alexa5x5

NNNNOOOOO!! Dear god not another budget/economic thread!! :eek: How many ways can people post about essentially the same topic?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

alexa5x5 wrote: »
    NNNNOOOOO!! Dear god not another budget/economic thread!! :eek: How many ways can people post about essentially the same topic?!?

Actually, this is a new megathread for today's new announcement to try and prevent loads of threads being started later. The mods are thinking ahead. UNLIKE THE GOVERNMENT!! ROFL!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,373 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This is going to be a mega thread ...so will someone do a short concise synopsis preferable in built points explaining what its all means .... then hight light your post with a star or something so i can find it ...thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

mariaalice wrote: »
    This is going to be a mega thread ...so will someone do a short concise synopsis preferable in built points explaining what its all means .... then hight light your post with a star or something so i can find it ...thanks:D

i'll do it as concise as possible.

we're fcuked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

I read over on another forum that rent allowance is being chopped for the long term unemployted...I would welcome this move as it's yet another drain on our countries finances, This will help to deflate the cost of renting a house for the average joe..

Also step by step cuts for long term unemployed i.e money goes down as time goes on, I would welcome this also.

From what i gather this is all aimed at people on the dole pre 2007, work shy loosers

Alan

I read over on another forum that rent allowance is being chopped for the long term unemploytedAlan

Why stop there!?

I know I'll get alot of flack for this and I stand by it, but why does being a single parent absolve a person of paying their own way in the eyes of the Dept. of Social Welfare?

would everyone just shut the fcuk up until the bloody thing is announced. all this guessing and speculation, it's like the equivalent of masturbation for some of ye, i'd swear it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

would everyone just shut the fcuk up until the bloody thing is announced. all this guessing and speculation, it's like the equivalent of masturbation for some of ye, i'd swear it.

Becase it is going to effect all of our pay packets, people are going to talk about this stuff...that is normal...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I love scotch. Scotchy, scotch, scotch. Here it goes down, down into my belly... .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

• IMF are here
    • We're fuhked
    • The government won't tax rich people.
    • So that means you're paying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

hit the red button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Absurdum wrote: »
    hit the red button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is Sky interactive going to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Chairman Meow

Oh look, what a shocker, FF going back on their word on having an election in January. Election wont be until spring now apparently.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/no-election-until-spring-cowen-2433052.html

I know I'll get alot of flack for this and I stand by it, but why does being a single parent absolve a person of paying their own way in the eyes of the Dept. of Social Welfare?

Too right. The solution is abortions. :pac:

(No, seriously.)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Lads the budget is almost irrelevant at this stage.

The amount if debt we are going to have to take on is unsustainable. It's either 30 years of decline or Default and 2-3 years of pain.

We need to stand up, let the banks fail and start with a clean slate.

Otherwise there will be no point on living in Ireland for the next 30 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Will there be beer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Lads the budget is almost irrelevant at this stage.

The amount if debt we are going to have to take on is unsustainable. It's either 30 years of decline or Default and 2-3 years of pain.

We need to stand up, let the banks fail and start with a clean slate.

Otherwise there will be no point on living in Ireland for the next 30 years.

this^

plus:
    Ten yr bond yields rising sharply: SPAIN 5.06% PORTUGAL 7.06%IRELAND 8.71% GREECE 11.86%

game over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

Absurdum wrote: »
    game over

Press any button to continue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Aldebaran wrote: »
    Will there be beer?

There will be more tax on beer........does that count?

Advertisement