Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Atheists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

The claim that most people here are making is not that there is no god, but that until there is any reason to think there is we should operate without the data.
    But where's the IRREFUTABLE PROOF God doesn't exist? :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Thaedydal wrote: »
    So sebastian4jc care to explain what your nick/boards name/handle means?
    He is using the traditional <NAME><MENTAL_AGE><BOARDS.IE_HERO> formula of name generation.

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Pace2008 wrote: »
    But where's the IRREFUTABLE PROOF God doesn't exist?
    Refuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

But where's the IRREFUTABLE PROOF God doesn't exist? :mad:

Is this a joke or have you seriously not read anything that has been posted so far?

Is this a joke or have you seriously not read anything that has been posted so far?
    Judging by this and the and " I am a Catholic" thread, it seems I fail at parody :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Judging by this and the and " I am a Catholic" thread, it seems I fail at parody :(

As Robin said in the other thread, it's basically Poe's Law - when you attempt to make a parody of something there is usually someone real which makes the parody look tame/realistic.

[...] it seems I fail at parody
    I'm tellin' ya: this is a forum that has many strange religious sightings.

Posters, especially those who haven't yet had the time to establish a rep for sarcasm, should always write bearing Poe's Law in mind!
    Poe wrote:
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is utterly impossible to parody a Creationist in such a way that someone won't mistake for the genuine article.
    Next time, put in the smiley -> :)

^^^ Snap!

robindch wrote: »
    I'm tellin' ya: this is a forum that has many strange religious sightings.

Posters, especially those who haven't yet had the time to establish a rep for sarcasm, should always write bearing Poe's Law in mind!Next time, put in the smiley -> :)
    I took the advice on Boards and put in the <mad> smiley.

I felt it was the only option that didn't make it look like I was laughing at my own joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

!Next time, put in the smiley -> :)

He did. He used the :mad: smiley. Of course, that smiley is often used by the genuine article.

Speaking of Poe's Law and smileys.....

,,,,.......do multiple smileys cancel each other out?!!?!?!?!? :pac::pac::rolleyes: :D;):D:) :eek::eek:

• Advertisement

I took the advice on Boards and put in the <mad> smiley. I felt it was the only option that didn't make it look like I was laughing at my own joke.
    The mad smiley makes it look like it was written by a religious person (no implied offence to religious people of course).

But laughing at one's own jokes? Happens all the time here :)

But laughing at one's own jokes? Happens all the time here :)
    Typical arrogant atheists.

:)

Typical arrogant atheists :)

136545.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pindababe

mikhail wrote: »
    God doesn't exist. Religion does.

BRILLANT!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sebastian4jc

We simply wish your idea, that there is a god, to be treated equally to every other idea that comes before us devoid of any evidence for or against it.
    You are just DECLARING that there is no evidence. What evidence have you even considered? You people are just so closedminded. Can any of you even tell me what answers atheism provides? Belief in God explains more about the world than atheism ever could e.g. we know where the world came from it didn't just come from nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You are just DECLARING that there is no evidence. What evidence have you even considered? You people are just so closedminded. Can any of you even tell me what answers atheism provides? Belief in God explains more about the world than atheism ever could e.g. we know where the world came from it didn't just come from nothing.

You're just declaring God exists. What evidence have you considered, or can you provide us some evidence of his existence?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

So your particular beliefs explain everything about the world?
    This belief is somehow better than all other faiths, philosophies and science?
    Yes, we're pretty obviously closed minded.

So open my mind and tell me where it all came from?

Don't tell me God did it and you know cos it says so in a book that is the infallible word of God and its definitely true because the book says so?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sebastian4jc

You're just declaring God exists.
    Yeah? What post did I say that in? Have you even been following this thread at all?
    5uspect wrote: »
    So your particular beliefs explain everything about the world?
    This belief is somehow better than all other faiths, philosophies and science?
    Yes, we're pretty obviously closed minded.

So open my mind and tell me where it all came from?

Don't tell me God did it and you know cos it says so in a book that is the infallible word of God and its definitely true because the book says so?!

You're trying to twist what I'm saying. I didn't say belief in God explains everything. I said it explains more than atheism does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Can any of you even tell me what answers atheism provides? Belief in God explains more about the world than atheism ever could e.g. we know where the world came from it didn't just come from nothing.
    So the idea is get an "answer" regardless of how it is reached?

Atheism is not about providing answers it's about a lack of belief in the answers offered (made up) by religions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

You are just DECLARING that there is no evidence. What evidence have you even considered?
    'No evidence' isn't entirely true. It's just that the evidence is on the same scale as the evidence for werewolves. Have you considered that there's no more evidence for Christianity than for Buddhism? Why do you think that is?
    You people are just so closedminded.
    What you mean is that we don't agree with you. This forum is littered with examples of us debating all sorts of things we don't agree with. We test our positions and the underpinning logic and evidence every time we debate someone like you.
    Can any of you even tell me what answers atheism provides?
    Answers? None. Science provides answers about the material world. Philosophy and psychology and social science and empathy provide us with a framework for morality.
    Belief in God explains more about the world than atheism ever could e.g. we know where the world came from it didn't just come from nothing.
    Belief in God told us that the world has four corners and was created in six days, and that the stars were created after the earth. Atheism opens us to the possibility that when we measured stuff and found it didn't tally with the biblical story, the biblical story could be wrong. Gallileo was religious, but I'm sure he'd have appreciated a little less faith in the wrong answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Can any of you even tell me what answers atheism provides? Belief in God explains more about the world than atheism ever could e.g. we know where the world came from it didn't just come from nothing.

Atheism just means the person the person has the same opinion about God / god / gods as you do about unicorns. Nothing more, nothing less. It is not a magical formula or a method of discerning why we are here. It is simply that we think the existence of god is so unlikely as to be not worth bothering about.

So it is not really surprising that belief in god explains more about the world than atheism (clearly I think the explanations are a load of sh1t though, and not worth a damn.) Atheism doesn't try. Religion does. The reason we have religion in the first place is because people did not understand the world, so they made sh1t up to try to explain it.

It pains me that so much of humanity still can't get through life without the idiotic belief that it has to mean more than it does. Why do there have to be a reason beyond the obvious? Why is it somehow better to be the creation of the spiteful, evil, bigoted, childish prick you call god and have to worship him and tell him out great he is for fear that he with otherwise send to to hell for eternity in a fit of massively out of proportion spite?

Why can my purpose not simply be to live and to love and to be loved? Why can my purpose not simply be to raise my children to the best of my ability and to provide for my family? Why can't I just be good for the sake of being good? Why can't I just thank the doctors that saved my mum from breast cancer and not instead have to thank some imaginary sky wizard. Why can't I look at hurricanes and earthquakes and think they are devastating natural phenomenon instead of thinking they happen because we don't stone homosexuals to death.

The explanations religion gives are bullsh1t. They are divisive and damaging to society.

Fcuk, I really hate religion. Thank you A&A forum. I used to be just apathetic, now look what you have done.

MrP

EDIT: Actually it was the other forum that made me anti-theist...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yeah? What post did I say that in? Have you even been following this thread at all?

You're trying to twist what I'm saying. I didn't say belief in God explains everything. I said it explains more than atheism does.
    I may get carded for this but I feel it really really needs to be asked and the facts established.
    Sebastian4jc - Are you 14 or very very dim? Or have you a better excuse for yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

You people are just so closedminded.
    I love it when people claim this. I'm not closed minded. I am open to the possibility to be shown to be wrong.
    Are you?
    What evidence or reasoning could we supply that would change your mind?
    Can any of you even tell me what answers atheism provides?
    What answers does not believing in unicorns provide?
    It's the same question with the same answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭liamw

Definitely a troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pindababe

SIMPLE SCIENCE AND EVOLUTION

Starting with the Earth's formation by accretion from the solar nebula 4.54 billion years ago (4.54 Ga),[1] the first eon in the Earth's history is called the Hadean.[3] It lasted until the Archaean eon, which began 3.8 Ga. The oldest rocks found on Earth date to about 4.0 Ga, and the oldest detrital zircon crystals in some rocks have been dated to about 4.4 Ga,[4] close to the formation of the Earth's crust and the Earth itself. Because not much material from this time is preserved, little is known about Hadean times, but scientists hypothesize at an estimated 4.53 Ga,[nb 1] shortly after formation of an initial crust, the proto-Earth was impacted by a smaller protoplanet, which ejected part of the mantle and crust into space and created the Moon.[6][7][8]
    During the Hadean, the Earth's surface was under a continuous bombardment by meteorites, and volcanism must have been severe due to the large heat flow and geothermal gradient. The detrital zircon crystals dated to 4.4 Ga show evidence of having undergone contact with liquid water, considered as proof that the planet already had oceans or seas at that time.[4] From crater counts on other celestial bodies it is inferred that a period of intense meteorite impacts, called the "Late Heavy Bombardment", began about 4.1 Ga, and concluded around 3.8 Ga, at the end of the Hadean.[9]
    By the beginning of the Archaean, the Earth had cooled significantly. It would have been impossible for most present day life forms to exist due to the composition of the Archaean atmosphere, which lacked oxygen and an ozone layer. Nevertheless it is believed that primordial life began to evolve by the early Archaean, with some possible fossil finds dated to around 3.5 Ga.[10] life could have begun during the early Hadean, as far back as 4.4 Ga, surviving the possible Late Heavy Bombardment period in hydrothermal vents below the Earth's surface

I may get carded for this (...)
    For being rude - as you wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't take issue at all with (and completely understand) religious people confronting atheists who ridicule and harass them... but when there's no ridicule/harassment and it's just the atheism in and of itself that's deemed to constitute the ridicule/harassment... well it's not even worth engaging with people who get upset about narrow-minded lack of acceptance of a particular belief system... in the form of being narrow-minded and unaccepting of a particular belief system - essentially, being upset by people not agreeing with them.
    Sebastian seems like someone who will belittle/cross-examine/make unfounded assumptions re an atheist who is a good person (you know, as Christ taught) and has never in their life given any religious person any hassle... simply because they are an atheist.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Who's twisting what now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Improbable wrote: »
    Not really, guns just make it a whole lot easier. You ever tried killing someone with a horse's eyelash? It's difficult!

They have their benefits too though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Where did the world come from?

Advertisement