Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Atheists

Options
  • 23-11-2010 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

If you're so convinced that there is no God... why on earth do you spend so much time talking about Him?

Atheists like to claim that their lack of belief in God is similar to their lack of belief in something that quite obviously doesn't exist. But if that's the case why don't you talk about these things just as much? Why the bias towards God?

And how can you think so negatively and get so emotional over something that you claim doesn't exist? That to me is a massive hint to the lie atheists try to tell. Basically it's like, I don't believe in Him, and I hate him. Do you get annoyed by non-existant annoying people or feel itchy from non-existant itching powder?

I think what upsets Atheists the most though is the fact that they can't disprove God. It's like a splinter that annoys them. This is probably why they rant and complain so much. Just talk to any outspoken Atheist, and you can clearly see the want for it.... but it's completely unsubstanciated and downright irrational.

Peace and God bless,
    Seb

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you're so concerned about atheists talking about god, why are you posting here asking us to reply to questions that will inevitably involve talking about god?

Personally, I'd love to live in a world where I never had to mention god again. People like you make that impossible, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

If unicorns start running the majority of irish schools and faeries start wars with each or leprechauns start campaigning against equality legislation then I'm sure you'd see a similar response.

Peace & pasta

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think you'll find that this is a discussion board so, naturally, people will discuss stuff here, and the topic of this forum is atheism and agnosticism, so that's why it's discussed on this board!

I personally don't discuss atheism or gods in general life much at all. In fact, you'll probably find that there's a lot of atheists out there that don't talk about gods and religion and atheism, so there are probably a lot more people than you think out there :)

Welcome to boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

This topic is new and fresh!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

If you're so convinced that there is no God... why on earth do you spend so much time talking about Him?

Atheists like to claim that their lack of belief in God is similar to their lack of belief in something that quite obviously doesn't exist. But if that's the case why don't you talk about these things just as much? Why the bias towards God?

And how can you think so negatively and get so emotional over something that you claim doesn't exist? That to me is a massive hint to the lie atheists try to tell. Basically it's like, I don't believe in Him, and I hate him. Do you get annoyed by non-existant annoying people or feel itchy from non-existant itching powder?

I think what upsets Atheists the most though is the fact that they can't disprove God. It's like a splinter that annoys them. This is probably why they rant and complain so much. Just talk to any outspoken Atheist, and you can clearly see the want for it.... but it's completely unsubstanciated and downright irrational.

Peace and God bless,
    Seb

Personally my issue is with the utter numb nuts who do believe in him and insist on harping on about him ad nauseum...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

God doesn't exist. Religion does.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Peace and God bless,
    Seb

I think you'll find that we spend our time ranting and raving about people who believe in God rather than God himself, per se. Trust me, if the majority of people I encountered day to day were weekly worshipping alien-lizards and basing their morality on the supposed dictates of said lizards then I guarantee you, you'd be in here asking why we spend so much time arguing about alien-lizards if they don't exist.

The term "atheist" is only relevant to the English language while there are so many bloody theists around.

Also I clicked giving the benefit of the doubt, and gave an audible sigh almost immediately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sebastian4jc

phutyle wrote:
    If you're so concerned about atheists talking about god, why are you posting here asking us to reply to questions that will inevitably involve talking about god?
    That's easy to answer, it's because I care about your immortal souls.
    phutyle wrote:
    Personally, I'd love to live in a world where I never had to mention god again. People like you make that impossible, though.
    No one is forcing you to talk about God or post on forums that have topics that will lead to people talking about God.
    Gordon wrote:
    I think you'll find that this is a discussion board so, naturally, people will discuss stuff here, and the topic of this forum is atheism and agnosticism, so that's why it's discussed on this board!
    Wow, thank you for stating the obvious. I bet you feel really smart too. In case you missed it, I was talking about Atheists in general, not just boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

Zillah wrote: »
    Also I clicked giving the benefit of the doubt, and gave an audible sigh almost immediately.

A lot of the threads with titles that include the word "Atheists" are started by theists, ironic given the nature of today's unique "question for atheists" don't you think.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find that we spend our time ranting and raving about people who believe in God rather than God himself, per se. Trust me, if the majority of people I encountered day to day were weekly worshipping alien-lizards and basing their morality on the supposed dictates of said lizards then I guarantee you, you'd be in here asking why we spend so much time arguing about alien-lizards if they don't exist.
    The term "atheist" is only relevant to the English language while there are so many bloody theists around.
    So in summary, the fact that a particular belief is popular is what bothers you. You'd like to disprove so badly it wouldn't you? What does that say about you personally, I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

OP, here's some more discussion on the subject

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056048542

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Basically it's like, I don't believe in Him, and I hate him.
    Well, like, can you remind us puhleease how somebody could, like, "hate" something that, like, isn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

The OP came complete with sunglasses. I find this strange as one would presume it is already dark up one's own hole.

Wow, thank you for stating the obvious. I bet you feel really smart too. In case you missed it, I was talking about Atheists in general, not just boards.ie
    Ah right! I didn't realise I had to project my imagination to hypothesise what you could have meant by that first post in the thread, but went on what I read and what my take on what you wrote was. :)

As I say, I don't talk about existance or inexistance of gods much at all, so I'm not sure where that has come from? Do you hear atheists talk about atheism a lot yeah? Do you talk about religion a lot in life?

So in summary, the fact that a particular belief is popular is what bothers you.

Not so much the popularity of it, no. The fact that it is so common impacts my life and the way society is run, and that makes it important. Attitudes about sex, education, sectarianism, abortion, divorce etc are often dictated by a person's religious beliefs. Whether I like it or not that makes the question of God an important one.
    You'd like to disprove so badly it wouldn't you?

Yes, but you see the claim of God's existence lacks what is called falsifiability, which basically means that even if it is not true, no one can ever prove it. If God is magic, then we can never prove he isn't there.
    What does that say about you personally, I wonder.

I think it means that I don't like falsehoods, that I hate to see people manipulated and controlled by religious leaders because of a false belief in imaginary beings. I don't like to see people base their morality on ancient and cruel books, nor do I like to see them subjugate themselves to the Pope or similar figures. I like to see people take responsibility for their own lives and morality, rather than let others do their thinking for them.

Why are you so angry?

robindch wrote: »
    Well, like, can you remind us puhleease how somebody could, like, "hate" something that, like, isn't there?
    This is my point. How can someone who says they don't believe in the God of the bible, then go on to talk about how much they hate the God of the bible. People have said already oh it's people we really dislike but that's just trying to sidetrack the real issue. There is a serious amount of God bashing going on nowadays - plenty of books being written on the subject too. This we can confirm and is consistant with what I've been saying. It's simply not true to say Atheists only dislike people.

No one is forcing you to talk about God or post on forums that have topics that will lead to people talking about God.
    Well, you did ask a question and it is considered polite in certain circles to respond.
    Gordon wrote:
    FYI - Gordon is something of a god here on boards - I recommend not insulting him since his uber-lightning rod uses 240 Volts DC.

This is my point. How can someone who says they don't believe in the God of the bible, then go on to talk about how much they hate the God of the bible. People have said already oh it's people we really dislike but that's just trying to sidetrack the real issue. There is a serious amount of God bashing going on nowadays - plenty of books being written on the subject too. This we can confirm and is consistant with what I've been saying. It's simply not true to say Atheists only dislike people.

I dislike the character of the God portrayed in the Bible yes. In the same way I dislike many fictional characters, but it doesn't mean I believe in them, and luckily people don't base their worldview, morality and politics on those other fictional characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

Why don't you explain why you believe in your sky god, Maybe we'll all convert.

• Advertisement

Not so much the popularity of it, no. The fact that it is so common impacts my life and the way society is run, and that makes it important. Attitudes about sex, education, sectarianism, abortion, divorce etc are often dictated by a person's religious beliefs. Whether I like it or not that makes the question of God an important one.

Yes, but you see the claim of God's existence lacks what is called falsifiability, which basically means that even if it is not true, no one can ever prove it. If God is magic, then we can never prove he isn't there.

I think it means that I don't like falsehoods, that I hate to see people manipulated and controlled by religious leaders because of a false belief in imaginary beings. I don't like to see people base their morality on ancient and cruel books, nor do I like to see them subjugate themselves to the Pope or similar figures. I like to see people take responsibility for their own lives and morality, rather than let others do their thinking for them.

Why are you so angry?
    See, right there you admitted you couldn't prove that He doesn't exist, and I know this as well as you do. Yet you then go on to talk about Him as being false, as if that were a fact. Great reasoning. Why am I so angry? I hate to disappoint you but I'm not angry right now. You seem to be the angry one, bashing people's beliefs.

robindch wrote: »
    Well, you did ask a question and it is considered polite in certain circles to respond.FYI - Gordon is something of a god here on boards - I recommend not insulting him since his uber-lightning rod uses 240 Volts DC.
    What, am I Thordon now?!
    How can someone who says they don't believe in the God of the bible
    So, we're talking about the god from the bible, yeah? So, you're saying that atheists talk against the bible's god, not other religions gods? Or do atheists also talk about other gods, sebastian?

This is my point. How can someone who says they don't believe in the God of the bible, then go on to talk about how much they hate the God of the bible.
    There's a Harry Potter forum -- want to drop by there and ask the same question about Voldemort?

See, right there you admitted you couldn't prove that He doesn't exist, and I know this as well as you do. Yet you then go on to talk about Him as being false, as if that were a fact. Great reasoning. Why am I so angry? I hate to disappoint you but I'm not angry right now. You seem to be the angry one, bashing people's beliefs.

I never claimed I could prove God doesn't exist. I think it is a very silly idea, it has no evidence, and the burden of proof lies with the person making the claim.

For example, you cannot prove that the Lizard-Aliens I mentioned earlier don't exist, can you? Does that mean it would be unreasonable to act as though they do not?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

See, right there you admitted you couldn't prove that He doesn't exist, and I know this as well as you do. Yet you then go on to talk about Him as being false, as if that were a fact.

Ever heard the phrase "Incredible claims call for incredible evidence"? It basically means that the burden of proof lies with those making the bizarre claims (ie: that a celestial superbeing with a fractured personality disorder is watching over us).

Gordon wrote: »
    What, am I Thordon now?!
    Thordon? Nah, more of a desert deity than a northern one.

As "prison" mod, you do have -- I assume -- the power to forgive sins :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

If you're so convinced that there are no lizard aliens... why on earth do you spend so much time talking about them?

Atlizardalienists like to claim that their lack of belief in lizard aliens is similar to their lack of belief in something that quite obviously doesn't exist. But if that's the case why don't you talk about these things just as much? Why the bias towards lizard aliens?

And how can you think so negatively and get so emotional over something that you claim doesn't exist? That to me is a massive hint to the lie alizardalienists try to tell. Basically it's like, I don't believe in them, and I hate them. Do you get annoyed by non-existant annoying people or feel itchy from non-existant itching powder?

I think what upsets Alizardalienists the most though is the fact that they can't disprove Lizard aliens. It's like a splinter that annoys them. This is probably why they rant and complain so much. Just talk to any outspoken Atlizardalienist, and you can clearly see the want for it.... but it's completely unsubstanciated and downright irrational.

Peace and long live the lizard aliens

Take that Zillah

• Registered Users Posts: 8,941 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My daughter was born 2 years ago. From when she was 3 months, people in work would ask me about when and where she was going to be christened. At the time I had worked with these people for 4 years (and get on great with them) and had never mentioned atheism religion or the lack of it. But the rate of questioning got to the point that I just had to say that I'm an atheist, and we weren't going to be baptising her.

Same thing happened a few months later, just before my wedding. When I mentioned that is was going to be in a registry office, I had one person ask me if I required permission from my priest do do that, and several people say "and you'll probably have a blessing later on". No, again, I'm an atheist - no need for religious stuff at all, ever.

Of course, now - even though I don't ever bring up the subject - I'm often accused of "hating the church" or "being angry with god". Pretty much the same drivel you're coming out with here. So naturally, I have to define and defend my position against their prejudices and misconceptions, or face being constantly misrepresented.

Both she and I are going to face the same lines of assumptions when she's 7 (communion) and 12 (confirmation). The fun never ends.

So yeah, I stand by my assertion that if it wasn't for people like you, I wouldn't have to talk about god at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

So in summary, the fact that a particular belief is popular is what bothers you. You'd like to disprove so badly it wouldn't you? What does that say about you personally, I wonder.

So in summary, the fact that atheists don't subscribe to what you believe is what bothers you. You'd like to prove them wrong, wouldn't you? What does that say about you personally, I wonder.

• Advertisement

I never claimed I could prove God doesn't exist.
    Oh that's right... you rambled on like as if you had established his non existance and didn't actually provide anything to back it up. Well done.
    Zillah wrote:
    You'd like to disprove so badly it wouldn't you?
    Yes ...
    See, you'd like to, but you can't. You'll just need to learn to live with this fact and stop being so intolerant.

Advertisement