Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions for Atheists

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 sebastian4jc

King Mob wrote: »
    Swap universe for rainbows and there you go.
    Eh, not really. The entire universe is not the same as a rainbow. Universes can have rainbows. Are the moderators asleep or what? There is a large amount of spam and name calling going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭housetypeb

The God that created the universe. Because a unicorn is not a God.

Where's the proof that god is not an unicorn?

Make mine a B.L.T to go, please.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Yes it is.

God exists, but God is a unicorn. You have to prove that I am wrong or it makes no sense to talk about God as though He were not a unicorn.

....starting to see why the burden of proof lies on the one making the claim?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭fudgez

But if I say A unicorn did create the universe do I have any less evidence then you? so it is an arguement which is equally valid... unlike say the evidence for a scientists view/theory of the universe which is backed up by observable evidence and while it does not rule out the possibility of an intelligent designer does show that at least since the Universes creation (or a few micro-seconds after it) he has been inactive allowing the chips to fall as they may based on the laws of Physics. If on the off chance there was an intelligent designer who has been inactive since a few seconds after the creation of the universe and we arrived many hundreds of billions of years later on the scene it is very unlikely the whole lot is just a "soul farm" would you concede that?

I'm quite partial to peanut butter and Jelly myself

Eh, not really. The entire universe is not the same as a rainbow. Universes can have rainbows. Are the moderators asleep or what? There is a large amount of spam and name calling going on here.

I plead guilty to calling you a troll and thats another sandwich

Spam!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Which God from which creation story?

Tu-chai-pai
    Tepeu and Kukulkán
    The set of eight gods, called the Ogdoad
    Gaia
    Kumulipo

There are so many Gods who are said to be creators.

Thaedydal wrote: »

Tu-chai-pai
    Tepeu and Kukulkán
    Gaia
    Kumulipo

I bet you've worked it out though. Do you still have magic powers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

I think he was getting at the fact that 'god created the rainbow', it was a gift for Noah......only then we figured out they were just light refracting when entering rain droplets at an angle of 40-42%, then reflecting off the back and then refracting on it's way back out. So it turns out rainbows weren't magiced up by God after the flood, they are just an optical phenomenon that have existed as long as water and light have.

Turns out, probably the same deal with the universe, humans couldn't work out how it was there. Humans don't like not knowing how things happened, so they said 'god did it'. But give it a while and it will all go the way of the rainbow.

Bacon, sausage, pudding, hash browns and fried egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

Yeah but unicorns exist because the bible says so*. And the bible is the truth because god says so and god is real because the bible says so.

*Job 39:9-12 (King James Version
    9Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib?
    10Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in the furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?

Tayto crisps and loadsa butter on the heels of a loaf of batch bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

So how do you explain rainbows without unicorns?

• Advertisement

Tu-chai-pai
    Tepeu and Kukulkán
    Gaia
    Kumulipo

Genesis. Why do people keep claiming things like Gods and unicorns are the same... they're clearly not. Neither are universes and rainbows. Are you guys just messing with me? Can someone please explain to me why people are talking about sandwiches and calling me some kind of monster? I'm new here maybe this some kind of boards.ie in-joke or something? I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

double-down-1.jpg
    That's me not sleeping for a few hours.
    I thought it was only double rainbows that unicorns were responsible for?

I didn't explain rainbows... I said they weren't the same as the universe... which they aren't.

Please don't call the troll a troll:D He is just a poor lost lamb of the one true god(out of thousands) who has lost his way and found himself in a den of unbelievers. To pass the time he engaged in light banter with the dammed(thats us)while praying that the mods would come to his rescue.

Genesis. Why do people keep claiming things like Gods and unicorns are the same... they're clearly not. Neither are universes and rainbows. Are you guys just messing with me? Can someone please explain to me why people are talking about sandwiches and calling me some kind of monster? I'm new here maybe this some kind of boards.ie in-joke or something? I don't get it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)

explanation of troll...

unicorns and god are exactly the sam btw

Trolls feed off peoples angry responses to their sill persistant questions so we are suggesting sandwich recipes so you can learn to eat people food! (pretty clever huh?)

will I say it? Marmite

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Are the moderators asleep or what?

Probably. They arent omipotent. Being real has that effect on people.

Zillah wrote: »
    I bet you've worked it out though. Do you still have magic powers?

Actually my faith doesn't have a creation myth, it being orthopraxic not orthodoxic. :)

Depends on how one defines magic,
    Magick, in the writings of British occultist Aleister Crowley, is defined as "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the will". :p

Oh and Bacon sandwiches with cheese FTW.

Why do people keep claiming things like Gods and unicorns are the same... they're clearly not.

Prove it.

Deli ham, rocket, tomato and a dash of sweet chili sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

fudgez wrote: »

will I say it? Marmite

GET. OUT!!!! :mad:

Actually my faith doesn't have a creation myth, it being orthopraxic not orthodoxic. :)

I see. So your religion makes no claims about the nature or origin of the universe?
    Depends on how one defines magic,
    Magick, in the writings of British occultist Aleister Crowley, is defined as "the science and art of causing change to occur in conformity with the will". :p

Well apparently Mr Crowley was a drooling moron who hasn't the slightest notion what science is. Anyway, y'know, magic. Spells, powers, supernatural things that break causality, defy scientific understanding...magic. Don't be coy, you know what I mean.

• Advertisement

Genesis.

That is one book which has one creation myth in it, there are older recordings
    of other creation myths out there which have been carbon dated as being older then the bible.

So some desert tribal god claimed to have created a garden which would have been impressive to desert people and told them if they did what that god said they would get back into the garden. Nice story, seems that at least 12 tribes fell for it, but that is the story of a people living pretty far away from here and it is the story of their god.

Other places and other peoples have their own god and their own stories,
    sorry but I don't see why I should believe that genesis is more true then any of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

I didn't explain rainbows... I said they weren't the same as the universe... which they aren't.
    Ok since subtleties are apparently lost on you, my point is your objections to and position on unicorns is the exact same as our position on God and applies just as well.

But that's no fun for trolling is it?

Also Fun Fact: my Nana used to eat Ritz sandwiches.

Galvasean wrote: »
    Probably. They arent omipotent. Being real has that effect on people.
    I never said they were. But there were clearly mods posting around the same time the offtopic posts started. Maybe these boards are relaxed but I had one of my posts moved and turned into a new thread for little or nothing.

I see. So your religion makes no claims about the nature or origin of the universe?

None what so ever.

Well apparently Mr Crowley was a drooling moron who hasn't the slightest notion what science is. Anyway, y'know, magic. Spells, powers, supernatural things that break causality, defy scientific understanding...magic. Don't be coy, you know what I mean.

Many things defy scientific understanding, like hugs, any many unseen forces like happiness, compassion, joy, sorrow

Many things defy scientific understanding, like hugs, any many unseen forces like happiness, compassion, joy, sorrow

This is incorrect. Regardless, I'll put it this way: Can you enact a change in the universe through thought alone, or through action that has no scientifically detectable mechanism by which it could effect such change?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

I hate it when atheists say the reason they are so against religion and God is because its the cause of alot of wars and killings throughout the years however this is not God or religions fault its the flaw of being a human being, I mean a gun can't kill a person on its own.

People have fought killed over a lot of different things including religion

How about

Money
    Power
    Sport
    Government
    Land
    Relationships

I never said they were. But there were clearly mods posting around the same time the offtopic posts started. Maybe these boards are relaxed but I had one of my posts moved and turned into a new thread for little or nothing.

Dont cry.it sounds like a miracle.
    Maybe unicorn did it, His will be done.

Perhaps you should PM one of them (heck, PM both of them to be on the safe side) for clarification?
    they are gonna hate me for this! :-D

There is a term in the evolutionary theory for these acts essentially if a species must survive in a group the above are necessary humanity has taken it a level above by imposing laws and establishing morality above the need to survive but they are founded in the same evolutionary logic.

Altruistic acts they are called.

There is evidence to show how Empathy for example works in the brain. It is hardwired into us. An evolutionist would argue this was so that we could live and work together which our survival depended on.

• Advertisement

I hate it when atheists say the reason they are so against religion and God is because its the cause of alot of wars and killings throughout the years however this is not God or religions fault its the flaw of being a human being, I mean a gun can't kill a person on its own.

*gasp*
    Another one! :eek:
    And he brought a strawman! :pac:

Advertisement