Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you blame for the financial mess we're in?

Options
  • 23-11-2010 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭

I think it's fair to say that the blame for the current financial crisis is shared amongst most of those mentioned in the poll, but who do you attribute the majority of the blame to?

Who do you blame? (Multiple choices allowed) 1252 votes

FF led Government 97-08, Taoiseach: Ahern, Finance Minister: McCreevy/Cowen
    0% 0 votes
    FF led Government 08-10, Taoiseach: Cowen, Finance Minister: Lenihan
    29% 370 votes
    Opposition parties 1997-2010
    14% 177 votes
    The banks
    6% 78 votes
    The developers
    23% 299 votes
    The Irish Central Bank
    15% 188 votes
    The Irish people i.e. the electorate and the house buyers
    11% 140 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,146 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I think it's fair to say that the blame for the current financial crisis is shared amongst most of those mentioned in the poll, but who do you attribute the majority of the blame to?

The electroate.

/thread.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

For Christ's sake surely the other 100000 threads should suffice without making a new one?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Dem Immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

You. Because you touch yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

People on the dole.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭Gunsfortoys

The IMF.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Bertie's government. But I'd really like to throw some of the blame on the clowns who happily voted for him and who think this recession just magically arose over the past 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Hands up who voted for FF in 2007?

Anybody? Nobody? Oh, ok then.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Financial mess :confused:. I'm loaded :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

The Public Sector /public opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You forgot "The Financial Regulator"

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

All of the above, and thankfully the poll allows all to be chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

bonerm wrote: »
    Hands up who voted for FF in 2007?

Anybody? Nobody? Oh, ok then.

Eh, not me anyway....

<_<
    >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Xavi6 wrote: »
    All of the above, and thankfully the poll allows all to be chosen.

Dammit I didn't realise. I blame FF and the banks. I don't blame developers but I think that they should be crucified anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

David Drumm and Sean Fitzpatrick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

The Irish people i.e. the electorate and the house buyers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

I blame the banks coupled with the irish people. A small portion of the blame goes to the major political parties, all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

I blame Bench Marking...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,478 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

poll currently ads up to 318.18%, LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

It's everyone elses fault, but mine!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It depends on what you mean by current problem. The current issue is the difference between how much revenue the state raises and how much it spends. There are specific areas where the bulk of it's spending is out of line with the rest of the world, Dole is comparatively too high (which attracts welfare tourism), minimum wage is comparatively high (making low paid jobs unattractive), public sector levels (including the non front line staff at the HSE) and spending is comparatively high. So re that PART of the problem then the likes of SIPTU have a LOT to answer for. Notwithstanding the whole culture of quangoes and entitlement to public money which is rife in this country. In addition it goes without saying that corrupt banks, brainless egotistical developers and TOTAL lack of any meaningful competent regulation.

The govt oversaw and facilitated all of the above. We (not me personally) voted them in unfortunately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭cleremy jarkson

First and foremost, the Irish people, for
    a) electing a government in 2002 and 2007 that had no interest in managing their finances stringently.
    b) thinking they could borrow money endlessly without ever having to pay back and then when the time comes for massive cuts in 2008, every group of society goes out and protests because they've gotten used to their undeserved high standard of living. People who took out big mortgages shouldn't deserve any sympathy...they had a choice of renting if they wern't happy with house prices...nobody put a gun to their head to buy if they couldn't afford it. Where's the justice for person A who refrained from buying a nice big house if person B who enjoyed the luxury of owning a 400 grand house gets bailed out when they can't pay, simply because there are more Person B's than Person A's?

Next, the Fianna Fail party itself, for being so absolutely useless between about 2002 and 2010. A bunch of useless pricks who got used to being in power at a time when there was money to shut the electorate up all the time and so never learned how to actually manage a country when choices have to be made.

Next, the opposition parties for never criticising the fact that the government were spending so wrecklessly and in fact, for criticising the government for "not spending enough" following the 2006 budget. Sickening. Where was Pat Rabbitte then?

With regard to the banks/developers...they were just doing what they could ie. milk the economy for all they could get. The banks should have been let fail in September 08 though, and people who invested in Anglo Irish Bank, for instance, should not have been bailed out. Whether they realised it or not, they took a risk by investing their money in the bank and expecting a big return. Don't know what should have happened with the developers but they should have at least been reduced to poverty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Wagon

The properly developers for their role in absolutely raping the housing market with overpriced gaff's and properties, the banks for giving out mad loans (remember the infamous ad campaign for 100% mortgages aimed at people in their early 20's), Berties's FF for not regulating the bastards and even joining in the mad spending spree and finally Cowen's FF for allowing the bailout of Anglo to go ahead, which we all have to pay for.

I admit, there was some stupid people out there. But i also know they were in the minority. I know we may be Irish but for once, we shouldn't be pointing the fingers at ourselves. Come on, did you look at a house and say "hmm, €350,000 is a LOT for two bedrooms...I KNOW!! I'll pay double that!" No, you probably didn't.

I really wish white collar crime was taken seriously here :(

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

The property developers but more than them the element of nepotisim in the country, brown envelopes and back handers made it easier to get plannng permission than in england. From the government to all the agencys such as fas we live in a extremely corrupt country. You cannot build a long lasting viable economy on corruption.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

I don't really understand how people can blame the opposition parties more than the government for the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Wagon wrote: »
    The properly developers for their role in absolutely raping the housing market with overpriced gaff's and properties, the banks for giving out mad loans (remember the infamous ad campaign for 100% mortgages aimed at people in their early 20's), Berties's FF for not regulating the bastards and even joining in the mad spending spree and finally Cowen's FF for allowing the bailout of Anglo to go ahead, which we all have to pay for.

I admit, there was some stupid people out there. But i also know they were in the minority. I know we may be Irish but for once, we shouldn't be pointing the fingers at ourselves. Come on, did you look at a house and say "hmm, €350,000 is a LOT for two bedrooms...I KNOW!! I'll pay double that!" No, you probably didn't.

I really wish white collar crime was taken seriously here :(

eh no

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

The Financial Regulator is missing from the Poll.
    He was also missing during the "bubble".

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Einhard wrote: »
    I don't really understand how people can blame the opposition parties more than the government for the crisis.

neither do I

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

I blame the Financial Regulator for not doing his job.
    The banks should never have been allowed to give 100% mortgages.

I know the regulator did issue some warnings from time to time about the property market overheating...but the government didn't really listen.

Mc Creevey too....surely he could have done something more intelligent during the celtic tiger years. Surely the government knew that the tax income from the property bubble was never going to last forever......

I think a little of the blame can be apportioned to all of the above...and the financial regulator...who you should add to the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Everyone but some are more to blame then others.

Advertisement