Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarettes are probably going up in the Budget..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭gsxr1

Put the up more.

It will help stop kids from starting the habit.

10euro a pack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

If nothing else good can come of the recession, at least stopping people smoking will be positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

gsxr1 wrote: »
    Put the up more.

10euro a pack

You get an F- for intelligence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

If nothing else good can come of the recession, at least stopping people smoking will be positive.

Should we stop people doing everything that's a break from the norm? Hmm?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

TheZohan wrote: »
    Also smoking is cool, you'll have the best craic out in the smoking area in bars and if you work in an office you can take as many breaks and you want if you say you're going on a smoke break.
    Should be read to kids in primary school. Y'know, to give them both sides of the coin. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

Yeah tax them RAAR, they smell bad... rabble rabble.

With the way things are headed, people won't be able to afford the current price of €8.50 anyway.

But it's all good, as long as people are quitting or otherwise not paying the tax.
    I'm sure they'll make up the difference by taxing other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I think smoking is a terrible vice and would like to see people give it up but bringing the price up is just going to make people buy smuggled cigarettes not give them up. Any increase in tax of fags will be offset by less people buying from reputable sources.
    This will also make it more profitable for criminal gangs smuggling them which will increase crime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Put the up more.

10euro a pack

Nothing will stop kids trying to smoke. If 20 fags cost 10e then 10 kids can chip in 1e each for 2 cigs.

4 won't inhale, 4 will..two of which will puke and never smoke again. 4 will try again...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

TheZohan wrote: »
    Should we stop people doing everything that's a break from the norm? Hmm?

If it involves cancer, then it sounds good to me.

And also, what do you mean by 'outside the norm'? Smoking is extraordinarily common, not some counter-culture movement. :rolleyes:

DarkJager wrote: »
    You get an F- for intelligence.

Seems like common sense to me.

A school kid that makes no money cant afford to spending 2 days lunch money of a pack of fags.

Simples.;)

Tax the hell out of them. Get peeps to think twice about stopping.

• Advertisement

Seems like common sense to me.

A school kid that makes no money cant afford to spending 2 days lunch money of a pack of fags.

Simples.;)

Tax the hell out of them. Get peeps to think twice about stopping.

Not really. They are too expensive as it is, further increases will drive the black market demand through the roof. It won't make anybody stop smoking, thats a personal choice to be made.

And how about we concentrate on adults for a change instead of always curtailing freedoms because stupid kids might get them. Kids will get fags if they want, there is no stopping that. I'm getting a bit pissed off of being punished and pushed around for the sake of children to be honest.

Not really. They are too expensive as it is, further increases will drive the black market demand through the roof. It won't make anybody stop smoking, thats a personal choice to be made.

And how about we concentrate on adults for a change instead of always curtailing freedoms because stupid kids might get them. Kids will get fags if they want, there is no stopping that. I'm getting a bit pissed off of being punished and pushed around for the sake of children to be honest.

im not punishing or pushing you dude.

Trying to stop the next generation of smokers from even starting sounds like a good way to go .
    I know myself it wont stop them all, but it might stop a some of them.

The adults smokers are getting it tough, but the new year is coming and is a great excuse to quit . I did. Its a way better way to go with only positive results.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'm getting a bit pissed off of being punished and pushed around for the sake of children to be honest.

Just look at what those awful, awful cigarettes have done to the kids. They've changed poor Timmy from THIS to THIS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Up de Barrs

I dont smoke so it wont effect me but I think they are expensive enough already. The government see smokers, drinkers and motorists as an easy target to raise money whenever they want to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I cant believe I brought this valuable piece of information to the people of AH, and I got one thanks. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Fun fact: During/immediately after the fall of Berlin in 1945 the Reichmark was rendered worthless and cigarettes became the main currency with five of them the going rate for a quickie with a prostitute.
    There haven't been families destroyed or people killed because of a cigarette.

You sure about that ?

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Fun fact: During/immediately after the fall of Berlin in 1945 the Reichmark was rendered worthless and cigarettes became the main currency with five of them the going rate for a quickie with a prostitute.

You sure about that ?

Fires are not my point. You don't go out after having a cigarette and start fights with random people, or get in a car and risk killing yourself or others. Drink on the other hand.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Fires are not my point.

You said people werent getting killed and I called BS on this.

The manner in which they get killed really isint particularly relevant. They all wind up just as dead.

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    You said people werent getting killed and I called BS on this.

The manner in which they get killed really isint particularly relevant. They all wind up just as dead.

You are talking about physical damage. I am making a point about the effects of consumption. One has the potential to cause damage to the person over time, the other has the potential to cause much more immediate damage to the person and others around them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Round 1
    In the blue corner we have the "Holier than thou" non smokers who have chosen the "You're gonna get cancer" and "I hate you smoke smelling mongrels" argument.
    While in the red corner we have the "Its my right" 20 a day guys who have chosen the "Its non of your business" and "You're just a nazi who hates people who make their own choices and lives with them" argument

Our referee tonight will be the infamous moderators who will laugh, cry and ban left, right and centre in this AH slugfest.

Now....

LETS GET IT ON!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

I dont know the fuss is all about tbh.....my old auntie used to smoke 80 fags a day ....and she died at the ripe old age of 32!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Put the up more.

10euro a pack

Obviously, because shopkeepers always sell to kids while those wonderfully principled sellers of smuggled and counterfeit cigarettes would never do such a thing.

amacachi wrote: »
    Obviously, because shopkeepers always sell to kids while those wonderfully principled sellers of smuggled and counterfeit cigarettes would never do such a thing.

If you know of such sellers. Please enlighten us. I would only be to pleased to report the to customs and garda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

If you know of such a sellers. Please enlighten us. I would only be to pleased to report the to customs and garda.

You should consider picking up one of these. Putting 50 cent on the price of cigarettes being sold legally isn't going to stop kids from taking up the habit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

If you know of such sellers. Please enlighten us. I would only be to pleased to report the to customs and garda.

Who's the narc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

I was contemplating giving up the oul fags but after reading this thread, I don't want to turn into one of those faggy non smoking cunts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

They should lower the cost of cigarettes. People will always want to smoke. With all the cuts on the way in wages and welfare, people will just turn to the smugglers for their smokes which benefits no-one except the criminal gangs. Its braindead decisions like increasing cigarette prices to one of the highest in the world that has gotten this country into such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭andrewire

Good, it will stop the amount of kids I see around the place smoking. All my siblings, (myself included) as well as my dad smoked, and we have all given up. My dad did it cold turkey as he got severe bronchitis.

Personally smoking is just a waste of money, a dirty habit. I admire people that do give up. But, I agree that raising the price of cigarettes will just increase the amount of cigarettes coming into the country whether smuggled or bought in duty free.

Wouldn't education be the best way to teach children et al. that smoking is bad for you? But of course, the government ministers would have to work if they want to educate people so the easy 'solution' is to increase the levies and taxes, i.e. more business for the smugglers and less revenue for the exchequer.

Then you wonder why our country is in such a state!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

syklops wrote: »
    I cant believe I brought this valuable piece of information to the people of AH, and I got one thanks. :(
    Your problem was the you were on the fence.

In order to get thanks on a topic like this you have to take a really strong stance on one side or the other.

Anti-smoking: You people make me sick. You smell bad, and your second hand smoke at the bus stop is going to give me cancer. I wish you were all dead.
    You are costing the HSE too much money. Every single cent of tax payers money is used to treat smokers. How dare you even think of smoking. You are killing your children and so forth.

Pro-smoking: About 90% of the money is tax. It's a government sponsored addiction. Your B.O. is worse than the smell of smoke.
    You already have the indoors. Stop looking for everywhere else and so forth.

See, you have to be rabid and one sided before anyone will thank your post.
    Remember to appeal to the lowest common denominator.
    Join FF and you'll get the most thanks (see what I did there?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

amacachi wrote: »

No it wont, kids will just find cheaper solutions. A shop down the road from my school has been selling fake smokes for the last 2 years at a fiver a pack so of course they're doing great business. Main problem is they're selling a harmful product but once which is even more harmful than European standards.

Personally, I'm either gonna give up after the next election or do Eastern Europe runs, fly over to Ukraine or somewhere like that overnight, buy about 150-200 packs piss cheap, fly home and make a mint while I'm at it for selling them over here.

Advertisement