Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarettes are probably going up in the Budget..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

DarkJager wrote: »
    If people are worried about how someone smells after having a smoke, they really have very little else to worry about or should really just get a ****ing life.

Problem is that smokers don't understand how disgusting they stink to a self-righteous smug non-smoker like me. It seriously turns my stomach and most non smokers I know feel the same.

I have a life btw, and I manage to get by with minimal worry about smokers, let them worry about how they stink, I'll just stay as far away as feasible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

The tax is already stupidly high. Its unfair on people suffering from an addiction.

This countries attitudes towards smokers is ridiculous. Its totally socially acceptable to walk up to a smoker in public and berate them about a lifestyle choice. Maybe I should start walking up to obese people to call them fat c*nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Giselle wrote: »
    Problem is that smokers don't understand how disgusting they stink to a self-righteous smug non-smoker like me. It seriously turns my stomach and most non smokers I know feel the same.
    That's psychological imo, it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to you either way. You've decided to become upset over smokers your simply succumbing to media hogwash and social pressure.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    The tax is already stupidly high. Its unfair on people suffering from an addiction.

This countries attitudes towards smokers is ridiculous. Its totally socially acceptable to walk up to a smoker in public and berate them about a lifestyle choice. Maybe I should start walking up to obese people to call them fat c*nts.

Smokers attitudes to non-smokers are ridiculous. Many of them seem to feel they should have the right to cloud up the air in public places again, with a fog of toxic fumes, and think we should be able to tolerate the smell of them in confined spaces without trouble.

Its unacceptable to fart repeatedly in a lift, but its okay to get in stinking of cigarettes? Yes, it smells as bad as a fart to a non-smoker.

Being fat doesn't affect me unless I'm on a plane seat beside an obese person or on a bus beside them. Smokers spread the stink wherever they go and no one is meant to even mention it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭Buceph

Cigarettes - Ireland's first choice whinger repellent.

• Advertisement

ScumLord wrote: »
    That's psychological imo, it shouldn't make a blind bit of difference to you either way. You've decided to become upset over smokers your simply succumbing to media hogwash and social pressure.

You're kidding yourself.

I can smell smokers, and they stink, its that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

syklops wrote: »
    On the one hand hey its an extra 85 Million quid. That said though we are already losing loads of revenue through cigarette smuggling, and this will only make it worse.

Subtract about 2 grand off that because I won't be paying that much for cigarettes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Like hard drugs!

Its what I've done, except for the hard part.
    But a fiddy bag and blunts > Fags

Gave up fags to not give the Government any of that tax money, will give it to the hard working people instead :pac:

Smokers attitudes to non-smokers are ridiculous. Many of them seem to feel they should have the right to cloud up the air in public places again, with a fog of toxic fumes, and think we should be able to tolerate the smell of them in confined spaces without trouble.

Its unacceptable to fart repeatedly in a lift, but its okay to get in stinking of cigarettes? Yes, it smells as bad as a fart to a non-smoker.
    This is all just nonsense, sensationalist nonsense, toxic fumes. :rolleyes:

People smell all sorts of different ways, you need to learn to live with it and stop being so judgemental. If you have such a problem with other people not living the way you want them to live I'd advise moving to the country where you won't have to put up with the rest of the human race.

Being fat doesn't affect me unless I'm on a plane seat beside an obese person or on a bus beside them. Smokers spread the stink wherever they go and no one is meant to even mention it.

Non smokers attitude toward smoker is even more rediculous.
    If its a public place, said person can smoke their if they want.
    If it bothers you leave, but no one is forcing you stand by and inhale these toxic fumes (But remember, fumes from cars/trucks/tractors/factories also harm so maybe stay at home dear.)

Ok you dont like the smell. Does it harm you? What about people who work out and smell of sweat, the smell of of drink etc etc.

Get over yourself and stop being so anal about everyday life.

• Advertisement

People smell all sorts of different ways, you need to learn to live with it and stop being so judgemental. If you have such a problem with other people not living the way you want them to live I'd advise moving to the country where you won't have to put up with the rest of the human race.

Or, smokers could not smoke in confined spaces to keep the smell on their clothes to a minimum, and be aware their breath is bad and not breathe in a non smokers face. Or move somewhere there are no non smokers.

The fumes are toxic, its not a cloud of fairy dusted perfume that magically makes you smell adorable.

Just for that rolleyes I'm giving you two back for spite.:rolleyes::rolleyes::P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I'm glad they're going up. I think they're disgusting and the people that smoke are idiots. In fact I'd love to see them banned.

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I'm glad they're going up. I think they're disgusting and the people that smoke are idiots. In fact I'd love to see them banned.

People are idiots for drinking too?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I'll just quote what I said on the prev page as everyone seemed to miss is, esp the smokers on here...
    I have noticed over the time I have quit smoking forever is that most of the really poor in this country smoke... What ya think?

I was poor all the time when I smoked up to 2 months ago, now i can pay bill and go out each weekend too. Who else agrees with me?

p.s. I have to say I am so glad my breath does not smell like I have been eating someones ass all day long. No one ever said that to me when I was a smoker and I dont think I would say it to someone now who smokes. Might get beat up lol. I have noticed it when smokers are speaking to me, its fookin RANK!

Just give up guys, if you break dont worry about it and just try again, what have you got to loose?

YOU SMELL LIKE SH!TE !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Jesus, go and get laid, would ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

Wow, great idea. Extra 85 Million? The Government will lose money off this. More money for the smugglers. I would buy if they were 1-2 quid cheaper. Unfortunately we will lose more money through this.

Get these idiots out now!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    Most of my sisters smoke and they can't even run up the stairs without nearly collapsing, my mother used to but gave up when she was in her 30's :D My boyfriends father is trying to give them up at the moment but so far no luck, two of his brothers smoke as well so it's sickening when they're smoking in our sitting room.

I always hated cigarettes I remember being 13/14 and smoking for about a week to be "cool" so ridiculous. So much money goes to waste on them for what you could save in a year you could go on a shopping spree or even a nice holiday, I'd sooner take that than a shorter, unhealthier life.

Why do you let them? Tell them to GTFO if they want to smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

When people say how much money smokers put into the economy do they take into account how much it costs to pay council workers to clean up all the cigarette butts from the streets?

I have no sympathy for anyone my age or younger who smokes. With all the knowledge there is now about the health risks of smoking it's a pretty stupid habit to take up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

Jesus, go and get laid, would ya!

Can't get laid cos of smell of 2nd hand smoke of them that's why giselle is going so mad :)

Lighten up tho giselle. People with no cars have to put up with fumes from cars polluting the whole country and you don't hear them giving out as much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

When people say how much money smokers put into the economy do they take into account how much it costs to pay council workers to clean up all the cigarette butts from the streets?

I have no sympathy for anyone my age or younger who smokes. With all the knowledge there is now about the health risks of smoking it's a pretty stupid habit to take up.

Yeah, let's kill them all. Also while we are at it let's kill everybody on the dole for taking up "costs" they cost more than cleaning up cigarette butts. And Children too, damn Children's allowance.

• Advertisement

Le King wrote: »
    Yeah, let's kill them all. Also while we are at it let's kill everybody on the dole for taking up "costs" they cost more than cleaning up cigarette butts. And Children too, damn Children's allowance.

I don't recall saying anything about killing anyone. :confused:

Or, smokers could not smoke in confined spaces to keep the smell on their clothes to a minimum, and be aware their breath is bad and not breathe in a non smokers face. Or move somewhere there are no non smokers.

The fumes are toxic, its not a cloud of fairy dusted perfume that magically makes you smell adorable.

Just for that rolleyes I'm giving you two back for spite.:rolleyes::rolleyes::P
    :D

Technically toxic, but not any more toxic than anything else a city dweller would suck in on a daily basis so let's just put that in context. I also don't know how your sop upset by smokers breaths, how exactly do you always end up within breath shot of smokers? I'm sticking with your too sensitive and now it seem your poking your nose into other peoples personal space as well. Live and let live Giselle I think the stress your putting yourself under worrying about smokers is worse than the effects of cigarettes.
    I'll just quote what I said on the prev page as everyone seemed to miss is, esp the smokers on here...

YOU SMELL LIKE SH!TE !
    You need to see a doctor, there's something wrong with your sense of smell.

Well, look at it this way. It provides jobs.

Plus, the lack of places to dock a fag and put it somewhere is rediculous. In my town (Pop; 5000) their are 4 street bins.. Without any of those things on top to even put of the ciggarette.

Le King wrote: »
    I don't recall saying anything about killing anyone.

Oh wait. Now I see where I said "kill".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

:D

Technically toxic, but not any more toxic than anything else a city dweller would suck in on a daily basis so let's just put that in context. I also don't know how your sop upset by smokers breaths, how exactly do you always end up within breath shot of smokers? I'm sticking with your too sensitive and now it seem your poking your nose into other peoples personal space as well. Live and let live Giselle I think the stress your putting yourself under worrying about smokers is worse than the effects of cigarettes.

You need to see a doctor, there's something wrong with your sense of smell.

Lol when you give up smoking you get your sense of smell back pretty quick Scumlord, and all smokers(who I work with and speak to so I can smell their breath) start to smell like anus. Its true, you smell like your chewing on rectum. Pretty mank to me now. Even noticed off my smoking friends too.

I'm not saying I dont miss smoking, I miss it sometimes still, but the smell just puts me right off now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭scientific1982

No ones asking for your sympathy. Just dont act like a self-righteous douche because you dont smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭CCCP

Increase on price of Cigarettes = less people smoking and less tax revenue for government.

Decrease of tax on cigarettes = more people can afford to buy (these are already smokers who buy illegal) and therefore more tax for the government, less money going to black market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 kieranmcg2000

good stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Buy all your smokes when you're away on hilidays or get a cheap flight somewhere and pick some up, that's what I do. I'm currently smoking Marlboro's that cost €3.70 a pack.

Also smoking is cool, you'll have the best craic out in the smoking area in bars and if you work in an office you can take as many breaks and you want if you say you're going on a smoke break.

IF the government lowered the cost of smokes to say €5 a pack I might buy them here instead. If anyone wants to tell me that I'm costing or will cost the State money due to smoking related ilnesses you can GTFO, my VHI costs €2,000 p/a so I am well able to look after my own healthcare.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

TheZohan wrote: »
    Buy all your smokes when you're away on hilidays or get a cheap flight somewhere and pick some up, that's what I do. I'm currently smoking Marlboro's that cost €3.70 a pack.

Also smoking is cool, you'll have the best craic out in the smoking area in bars and if you work in an office you can take as many breaks and you want if you say you're going on a smoke break.

IF the government lowered the cost of smokes to say €5 a pack I might buy them here instead. If anyone wants to tell me that I'm costing or will cost the State money due to smoking related ilnesses you can GTFO, my VHI costs €2,000 p/a so I am well able to look after my own healthcare.

There's fags in Lanzarote at a fiver for 200. Had them a few years ago and they were actually fine, chest improved loads on them compared to the Carroll's I usually smoke. I can legally get cigarettes over the border for about 6 quid a box as well which is nice. :pac:

Advertisement