Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cigarettes are probably going up in the Budget..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

anyone know when the xmas stalls are starting up on henry street....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Sea Sharp

It is a win-win really. It will raise extra revenue and will deter kids from taking up the habit. I don't like that it is at the expense of peoples health but you can't really tell people what to do.
    No it won't.
    We're at the stage now where if we raise the price of cigarettes by 10%, more than 10% of smokers will turn to the black market.

If they knocked 2euro off the price, they'd get more in revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Snakeblood wrote: »
    It's picking on a minority of people who will cost the exchequer in healthcare on average and also who smell bad.
    Everyone cost the exchequer in health care but only smokers pay extra. This idea that only smokers die expensive deaths is nonsense, your all going to die from some illness, more than likely some form of cancer and you should be thanking smokers for giving the healthcare industry so many of us to practice on so that when it comes around to you getting cancer they know what they're doing.

It's not like if I stop smoking now I definitely won't get a heart attack or lung cancer, all I'll be doing is delaying it (at best) to a time when I'll be weaker and need even more care to stop many other aliments from killing me while I'm under cancer treatment.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    In a way this is picking on a minority.
    1/4 of Irish people smoke and while it may be a disgusting habit, the government are just picking on smokers in order to increase their revenues.
    They are less inclined to push up the price of alcohol as the "majority" of people drink, but they see smokers as fair game.

Bring on the crime I say, stupid government...

A much higher % of people drink alcohol but (with the exception of alcoholics) it is less damaging on the person, and less costly on the government, than the effects of smoking.

It is a fact that 50% of smokers will die from smoking related illnesses and life expectancy is around 10 years less than that of a non-smoker.

The same can not be said for that of a drinker vs non-drinker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Smokers have no right to bitch and moan about any possible price hikes.
    If they can't afford to smoke, then try hard and give them up. Nobody can be that addicted that it is impossible to give something up (albeit with treatment).

For people on the medical card, both lifers and the recently unemployed, they are entitled to free drug treatment to help give up, along with the whole range of Nicotine Replacement Treatments...Nicorette etc.

So anyone who goes on about lower socio-economic groups and low income families being particularly hit need to stop right there..

Poorer people who are on the medical card have an unfair disadvantage as it will cost them nothing to give up. But obviously they don't want to and are happy to waste their hard earned dole money on smoking, so no sympathy for them I'm afraid!

You are talking through your arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

ScumLord wrote: »
    Everyone cost the exchequer in health care but only smokers pay extra. This idea that only smokers die expensive deaths is nonsense, your all going to die from some illness, more than likely some form of cancer and you should be thanking smokers for giving the healthcare industry so many of us to practice on so that when it comes around to you getting cancer they know what they're doing.

It's not like if I stop smoking now I definitely won't get a heart attack or lung cancer, all I'll be doing is delaying it (at best) to a time when I'll be weaker and need even more care to stop many other aliments from killing me while I'm under cancer treatment.

Well, smoke up then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It's picking on a minority of people who will cost the exchequer in healthcare on average and also who smell bad.

Take a close look at the revenue cigarette sales bring in compared to the cost of healthcare for treating smoking related illnesses. Its likely to be 3 times that amount so that arguement is complete bull****.

A much higher % of people drink alcohol but (with the exception of alcoholics) it is less damaging on the person, and less costly on the government, than the effects of smoking.

It is a fact that 50% of smokers will die from smoking related illnesses and life expectancy is around 10 years less than that of a non-smoker.

The same can not be said for that of a drinker vs non-drinker.

Alcohol is higher than tobacco on the list of substances that are dangerous for your health. And its less damaging on the person - what sort of fantasy land are you living in? There haven't been families destroyed or people killed because of a cigarette.

DarkJager wrote: »
    Take a close look at the revenue cigarette sales bring in compared to the cost of healthcare for treating smoking related illnesses. Its likely to be 3 times that amount so that arguement is complete bull****.

How about giving the information if you're sure it's bull****? That would seem to be logical

Also, doesn't stop you smelling bad.

How about giving the information if you're sure it's bull****? That would seem to be logical

Also, doesn't stop you smelling bad.

If people are worried about how someone smells after having a smoke, they really have very little else to worry about or should really just get a ****ing life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭dgently

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    No it won't.
    We're at the stage now where if we raise the price of cigarettes by 10%, more than 10% of smokers will turn to the black market.

It's true, after years of trying I think been trying to get that balance of screwing the buyer without sending him/her to the black market.

For smokers reading this wishing they could stop wasting their money, I want you to know that after 25 years @ a pack a day, I booked into an Allen Carr http://www.allencarr.ie session in the Red Cow and I never looked back.

This looks like a plug I know, but I've nothing to do with them - I'm just a very happy customer.

You'll say you can't afford it, but honestly their strike rate is awesome and they have a money back guarantee.

Good luck. Seriously!

Alcohol is higher than tobacco on the list of substances that are dangerous for your health. And its less damaging on the person - what sort of fantasy land are you living in? There haven't been families destroyed or people killed because of a cigarette.

You don't understand what I'm saying.

Somebody who drinks alcohol within certain levels may not suffer any major ill health effects effects. A minority, mostly alcoholics, will of course.

For smokers, the majority will suffer from years of chronic smoking and ultimately die prematurely.

Re: Families being destroyed or people being killed..
    Have you ever heard of Lung Cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭Ectoplasm

You might be right when it comes to serious illness, but look at any A&E department on the weekend. Drunk people can and do get into all sorts of situations every single week that results in them ending up in accident and emergency.

Now it may cost less to treat a drunk who has cut his hand open, sprained her ankle, gotten in a fight, had to have their stomach pumped etc. etc., but I imagine if you added up all of the drink related injuries it would become a pretty hefty sum and when you consider the premium that smokers pay in taxes, on balance it's probably more costly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

The cost of healthcare dished out to smokers is always picked up on by the anti-smoking lobby. Everyone is entitled to healthcare and social services that they may be more likely to avail of than another segment of the population. Non-smokers always piss and moan about their taxes going on healthcare for smoking related illnesses. Sorry but that dog doesn't hunt!

Personally, I don't drive. I don't have children. I'm not old. I am a male. I do not eat excessively and I don't eat fat-loaded junk or fizzy sugary beverages. I earn enough to pay for the things I want and need. I don't go mountain-climbing alone or sailing in treacherous waters.

However, the taxes I pay go towards roads and repairs, schools, play-areas and the ISPCC, services for the elderly including pensions and the like, gynaechological and breast cancer research/prevention, healthcare for those afflicted with obesity/diabetes/high blood pressure, etc. caused by poor nutrition, social welfare for the needy and unemployed, search and rescue services and the coast guard.

I don't personally benefit from the taxes I pay that go towards any these things but I'm DAMN happy to pay nonetheless.

People who whinge about paying a few quid in taxes that go towards healthcare that treats smokers or, among other things, a liver transplant for the odd misfortunate alcoholic who can't seem to conquer his miserable and tragic affliction can fück off with their hypocritical "me me me" attitude.

If people are worried about how someone smells after having a smoke, they really have very little else to worry about or should really just get a ****ing life.
    Who said they were worried? People who smoke just smell unpleasant is all. It's not a cause for worry.

The cost of healthcare dished out to smokers is always picked up on by the anti-smoking lobby. Everyone is entitled to healthcare and social services that they may be more likely to avail of than another segment of the population. Non-smokers always piss and moan about their taxes going on healthcare for smoking related illnesses. Sorry but that dog doesn't hunt!

Personally, I don't drive. I don't have children. I'm not old. I am a male. I do not eat excessively and I don't eat fat-loaded junk or fizzy sugary beverages. I earn enough to pay for the things I want and need. I don't go mountain-climbing alone or sailing in treacherous waters.

However, the taxes I pay go towards roads and repairs, schools, play-areas and the ISPCC, services for the elderly including pensions and the like, gynaechological and breast cancer research/prevention, healthcare for those afflicted with obesity/diabetes/high blood pressure, etc. caused by poor nutrition, social welfare for the needy and unemployed, search and rescue services and the coast guard.

I don't personally benefit from the taxes I pay that go towards any these things but I'm DAMN happy to pay nonetheless.

People who whinge about paying a few quid in taxes that go towards healthcare that treats smokers or, among other things, a liver transplant for the odd misfortunate alcoholic who can't seem to conquer his miserable and tragic affliction can fück off with their hypocritical "me me me" attitude.

I'm not complaining about paying for smokers healthcare. Don't know where you get that idea. I'm not opposed to the idea that someone who is doing something that damages their health and has no tangible benefit should be dissuaded from doing so by taxes while also contributing to their healthcare.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You are talking through your arse.

How so? Are you saying people on medical cards are not entitled to free treatment to help give up smoking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i strongly doubt anything to do with the budget hinges on a "campaign" that's "gathering momentum"

they're either going up by 50c or theyre not, itll have been decided by now

Sea Sharp wrote: »
    No it won't.

If cigarettes cost 9€ a pack and I can get them for 5€ on the black market, then the government drop the price to 7€, I'd still buy them on the black market!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

I have the unfortunate addiction of smoking.
    We have the highest price in the eu for cigs and they want to increase them again!!
    what cloud do the government live on??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

murphyaii wrote: »

Unfortunate? Smoking is fantastic! And don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

How so? Are you saying people on medical cards are not entitled to free treatment to help give up smoking?

I was looking more at your line about people being happy to smoke and not wanting to give them up.

For saying something as ridiculous as that I felt that you were talking out of your arse.

Sure not everyone wants to stop smoking but for those that do it's not a simple case of waking up one day and saying "I'm not going to smoke anymore." It doesn't work that way for everyone. I will use myself as an example. It took many attempts for me before I succeeded in quitting.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    I was looking more at your line about people being happy to smoke and not wanting to give them up.

For saying something as ridiculous as that I felt that you were talking out of your arse.

Sure not everyone wants to stop smoking but for those that dot it's not a simple case of waking up one day and saying "I'm not going to smoke anymore." It doesn't work that way for everyone. I will use myself as an example. It took many attempts for me before I succeeded in quitting.

I'd agree with that. People have to decide to give it up themselves. Being forced into it never works. Or seldom.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Horse_box

murphyaii wrote: »
    We have the highest price in the eu for cigs and they want to increase them again!!
    what cloud do the government live on??

Well make a bigger effort to kick the habit, thouasands of people give them up every week, there is no reason you can't. I did

Think about it, if you smoke 20 a day that adds up to 56 quid every week. It's so much nicer to be able to spend that money on something you realy want to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Horse_box wrote: »
    Well make a bigger effort to kick the habit, thouasands of people give them up every week, there is no reason you can't. I did

Think about it, if you smoke 20 a day that adds up to 56 quid every week. It's so much nicer to be able to spend that money on something you realy want to buy
    Like hard drugs!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Horse_box wrote: »

Yay! The preachy reformed smoker. Smokers love them! :pac:

I'd quit smoking if I didn't think I'd become one of you, I swear to God.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

While alcohol is clearly costing us nothing in healthcare....

Nothing whatsoever..

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    While alcohol is clearly costing us nothing in healthcare....

Nothing whatsoever..

But they tax the **** out of that. And I'd be fine with it being taxed more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I have noticed over the time I have quit smoking forever is that most of the really poor in this country smoke... What ya think?

I was poor all the time when I smoked up to 2 months ago, now i can pay bill and go out each weekend too. Who else agrees with me?

p.s. I have to say I am so glad my breath does not smell like I have been eating someones ass all day long. No one ever said that to me when I was a smoker and I dont think I would say it to someone now who smokes. Might get beat up lol. I have noticed it when smokers are speaking to me, its fookin RANK!

Just give up guys, if you break dont worry about it and just try again, what have you got to loose?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

millicent wrote:
    Yay! The preachy reformed smoker. Smokers love them!
    What's the saying?
    "there's none so pure as a reformed hoor"

Advertisement