Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Thread Megamerge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Hypothetically suppose that a friend of mine told me a letter addressed to the occupier arrived from An Post re a statutory declaration to say that they dont have a TV on the premises & to reply in 28 days

But s.147 of the broadcasting act 2009 states that it must be delivered personally or by registered post but it sent by normal post. So does this then mean the letter has no legal standing and also that they wont be inspected until the 28 days has elapsed.

147.— (1) An officer of an issuing agent may, if and whenever he or she thinks proper so to do, cause a special notice in writing (accompanied by or having annexed to it a form of declaration) to be given personally to, or be served by registered post on, any person requiring that person, within 28 days after the service of the notice on him or her—

Hypothetically.... Does that person have a TV?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 4ndrew

If I was to get sky TV in and connect it with the HDMI cable to a monitor, would I still need a licence? There would be no TV tuner Which is what I understand you pay the TV licence for?

Any help would b appriciated.
    Andrew.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

4ndrew wrote: »
    If I was to get sky TV in and connect it with the HDMI cable to a monitor, would I still need a licence? There would be no TV tuner Which is what I understand you pay the TV licence for?

Any help would b appriciated.
    Andrew.
    The Sky Box is capable of receiving and decoding the broadcast, so by plugging a monitor into a sky box (via whatever method) the monitor is now capable of displaying, receiving and decoding a broadcast.

So, yes. You need a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 whalemeat27

Guys i am in heartship over this tv licence grap myself.

TV inspector called to my house two weeks ago ,i do not have a tv licence. He told me to get one within the next few weeks. I can not aford Too buy one as i am on social welfare. So what i am doin is cancelling SKY and i will be removing the tv from my home ,i dont watch the dam thing anyway.

My question is, will i still be summons too court??

Cheers John J .

BUMP

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

If you don't buy a licence they will take you to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Guys, someone mentioned that the post man gives all details to TV licensing once a year...I find that hard to believe.

One of my friends, who I used to live with (he still lives in the same apartment) has now not paid the license in 4 yrs, and subscribes to sky or ntl (sot sure which)..he gets warning letters all the time(addressed to 'the occupier'') which he bins, and just ignores the tv man when he calls.

Fair play to him, but how does he get away with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

The Sky Box is capable of receiving and decoding the broadcast, so by plugging a monitor into a sky box (via whatever method) the monitor is now capable of displaying, receiving and decoding a broadcast.

So, yes. You need a licence.

The TV license man told me it has nothing to do with broadcasting it has to do with owing a tv. I asked him this because my television at the time was not receiving any rte channels or tg4. [I pay my license btw.]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

The TV license man told me it has nothing to do with broadcasting it has to do with owing a tv. I asked him this because my television at the time was not receiving any rte channels or tg4. [I pay my license btw.]
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/act/pub/0018/print.html#sec140
    television set ” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My apparatus was not capable of receiving broadcasts and I just used it for dvds and I still had to pay it.

• Advertisement

My apparatus was not capable of receiving broadcasts and I just used it for dvds and I still had to pay it.
    If it is not capable of receiving broadcasts then you do not need to pay the license.

axer wrote: »
    If it is not capable of receiving broadcasts then you do not need to pay the license.
    +1

Unless you have a set top box or a VCR with tuner you shouldn't need a licence.

Im not paying out 160euro for a bit of old paper . They can suck my
    Duck.

160 WHERE THE **** WOULD I GET IT. FOR **** SAKE .

{SNIP}

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Im not paying out 160euro for a bit of old paper . They can suck my
    Duck.

160 WHERE THE **** WOULD I GET IT. FOR **** SAKE .

A simple ould bit a salad. . . when i think what they did to that man.

Brought him out too the middle of a field , but him up again a wall 1 SHOT !!

BANG BANG!!!.
    You had a TV and Sky at the time the inspector came and you had no licence.

What should it matter if you're getting rid of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

If your apparatus consists of just a monitor without a built-in tuner connected to a DVD player then the lack of a tuner would make it incapable of receiving and displaying broadcasts so no licence required (licence needs both criteria) . However most DVD recorders have a tuner so if you have one of those hooked up to a display then you do need a licence.

Basically if your apparatus comprises a display and a tuner (e.g sat box, freeview, cable decoder, ip-tv card, dvd recorder), then it is a television set and does require a licence. It doesn't matter where those broadcasts come from. If it consists of a PC with a TV tuner / IP-TV card then you need a licence but you don't need a licence if it can only receive broadcasts over the public internet.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I found that there was nothing worth watching on TV so I gave my television away and cancelled my contract with Sky.

I now have no TV in my home, no working satellite dish and no cable TV. I sent an email to the TV licensing authority explaining this and inviting them to inspect (I even gave them my mobile no.)

I now watch things like the news and Prime Time on my laptop or iPhone using the RTE player on rte.ie
    This provides access to some of RTE's programs.

People have told me that I should have a TV license if I do this. Is that true??

Apparently I should have a TV license if I own a "television set" as defined in the "Broadcasting Act 2009"

According to the Broadcasting Act 2009:

“television set” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;

Do I require a license or not?? My feeling is that as I do not posess the appartus to recieve normal TV broadcasts I do not need a license. Otherwise a TV license should be required for smart phones such as an iPhone.

What are people's thoughts on this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Interesting.
    According to BBC, you need one if the online transmission is at the same time as the radio broadcast.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5081350.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Well with this there is no licence required as your are only watching tv over broadband connection on your pc which is incapable of receiving tv broadcasts in its own right.

https://www.magnetwebtv.ie/web/login.jsp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭token56

The way things stand I think once you dont have a device that can receive normal broadcast signals as you say you dont need one and from what you described you dont have any such device. Watching shows on the internet wouldn't be from broadcast signals. If you had a tv card for a pc/laptop you would need one but I dont think you have one. I know there was talk of extending the licence to things like laptops etc but I'm not sure how that is progressing. But regardless under the current legislation you shouldn't need one.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

token56 wrote: »
    If you had a tv card for a pc/laptop you would need one but I dont think you have one. I know there was talk of extending the licence to things like laptops etc but I'm not sure how that is progressing. But regardless under the current legislation you shouldn't need one.

Correct, I have no TV card. It is a standard iMac with no modifications or extra software.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 758 ✭✭✭whydoibother?

"You do not require a television licence to watch television on your computer or mobile phone. However, you do require a licence if the computer is used together with any other apparatus to receive a signal."

I've taken this from http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/consumer_affairs/media/tv_licences.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

However, the pivot point here is "broadcast"

That could mean the net as a conduit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

I think the key words are Broadcast Receiving Aparatus.... like a dvb-t dongle or such etc.

To give complete peace of mind for the OP he would be well advised to have the tuner disabled completly.

To give complete peace of mind for the OP he would be well advised to have the tuner disabled completly.
    I have no tuner, no recorder, just a bog standard iMac with no TV card in it.

2011 wrote: »
    I have no tuner, no recorder, just a bog standard iMac with no TV card in it.
    That will do nicely so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Here's the legal proof you do not need a TV licence:
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2009/en/si/0319.html
    The explanatory note at the end puts it nicely:
    This Order provides for the exemption from the television licensing ...... (b) other devices, e.g. personal computers or laptops, capable of accessing the Internet and television-like services streamed via websites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Quick question, is a satellite dish by itself enough to warrant getting a tv licence?
    it was there when i moved in, but all there is is the cable going into the sitting room, but no tv or box, just the dish.

previous tenants also had UPC installed but since that's no longer active, that wouldn't count, right?

housemate's just a bit worried, but she put doubt in my mind that all you needed was the dish, not just something capable of decoding the signal.

whiteman19 wrote: »
    Quick question, is a satellite dish by itself enough to warrant getting a tv licence?
    it was there when i moved in, but all there is is the cable going into the sitting room, but no tv or box, just the dish.
    You are not capable of receiving a broadcast from a satellite dish without a receiver. However if you have any TV at all with a working tuner built in then you should have a tv license. The UPC point is not relevant unless you have a subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

cheers, we have no tv or tuner so that's grand. just got a "we missed you" slip through the letterbox yesterday from the tv licence inspector saying there was a tv set/aerial observed, but i'd say they're just presuming that from the satellite dish outside.

thanks again :)

Advertisement