Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV Licence Thread Megamerge

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Those items do not meet the definition of a television.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

si_guru wrote: »
    Okay I will retract that... but then why is BBC iplayer blocked? I presumed it was that reason???
    No, thats generally blocked because the BBC want to be able to sell shows outside of the UK, or may not have the entire rights to the show when they are created by third party production companies who may want to sell the show outside the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

Update on this issue

we wrote a letter for fiances brother to an post saying

Further to your letter in relation to the above reference you state that “it is alleged that I was found in possession of unlicensed TV apparatus”.

On the day your representative called he did not have access to the house so they could not see that there is no TV in the house and there is still no TV or receivers in the house.

Please explain to me how having no TV or receivers in the house can result in a trip to court and a further waste of tax payers money on behalf of An Post.

I look forward to your prompt response

Next day liecnce inspector called out to the house and was taken inside shown every room in the house to prove theres no tv. Inspector aplogised for fine letter and said they wouldnt be proceeding with case and left :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The amount of dis-information and mis-information [and pure assumption as fact] in this thread is astounding

Explain?

• Advertisement

True.. if he has broadband he has the possibility to watch TV... and his ISP will know everything he has looked at!
    OisinT wrote: »
    I was wondering this myself recently. Theoretically if you had a UK satellite and couldn't get Irish networks would you still have to pay? Probably. :(
    Not correct, but if there is an aerial on the house, even if not connected to anything, they one has to pay.
    Jay D wrote: »
    My understanding was if you had radio or indeed anything capable of picking up a signal, which the internet and computer definitely is, you still have to. Is this the case?

It pisses me off the bs letters they send out assuming you have a tv.
    Okay I will retract that... but then why is BBC iplayer blocked? I presumed it was that reason???
    neris wrote: »
    So even if there is a dish on the chimney or back wall and no tv or satellite box they still have to have a licence? €160 for a bit of circular metal that does sweet shag all seems a bit of a scam. Then again this is Ireland and ripping off is what state quangos and monopolies

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

From what I recall, the general rule is that the device must be capable of capturing a signal from the air or from a cable network. Any device with a coax plug on the rear is such a device, regardless of whether or not you have an aerial attached to it.
    An aerial in itself is not capable of capturing the signal.

The relevant interpretation is this:
    “ television set ” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;
    So unless the device can be plugged into *something* to display a TV signal, you don't need a licence for it. Computers are exempt by the SI quoted above. Set-top boxes or DVRs on their own do not require a licence.

However, if you have a TV card in your computer, or you are using an LCD/Plasma TV screen with a tuner as your computer monitor, then you are required to have a TV licence.

An aerial in itself is not capable of capturing the signal.
    Correct, but many people will have you believe that it by itself needs a licence.

Certain types of TV aerials have amateur radio applications and are used to transmit as well as receive a signal but those signals are not TV signals so a TV licence is not needed.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Correct, but many people will have you believe that it by itself needs a licence.

Certain types of TV aerials have amateur radio applications and are used to transmit as well as receive a signal but those signals are not TV signals so a TV licence is not needed.

An Ariel cannot capture a signal on it's own. It needs a tuner.

Agreed.

But people have said they have been convicted on the strength of a mere aerial on the side of a house. I call shenanigans on that.

• Advertisement

Haddockman wrote: »
    Agreed.

But people have said they have been convicted on the strength of a mere aerial on the side of a house. I call shenanigans on that.

I agree

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

RangeR wrote: »

In defence of my question, I was making a point on principle rather than a statement about TV licences.

The legislation is quite clear (as has been correctly identified a few times in this thread) that devices capable of receiving, decoding and displaying a TV signal are Televisions and require licences.

My question was (not really a question - more of a principle point as mentioned earlier): If our money is going to pay for Irish TV/Radio, what if my TV cannot receive Irish stations (eg. UK box)?
    I suppose there are implications to some kind of free-to-air nature of Irish stations, but my point is still valid.

A television only used to display films still has to pay the fee.

Surely there is a better/fairer way to implement the tax. Perhaps everyone should be forced to pay it, seeing as it goes to radio funding as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 redredlisa69

I have just recieved a summonds today for 23rd december and too be fair i think am a total moran for not sorting this out before hand but am unsure what to do back in june i did have a guy come to the house now i had just moved in with my sister who had no tv licence but i had started one at prev address so had changed to new address but not realised with move and everything the direct debit not come out so i did reset one up with guy the came out and what happens it bouces then reset up in sisters name and my bank and again bounces this time my sister forgot to put money in so now am pretty screwed am not good at talking to people and to be fair i know its my mistake my sister has since asked for a payment card and one been sent out i cant pay for a new full new tv licence because i dont get paid till the 22 nd december and summonds in 23rd and cant have 2 tv licences for same address !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

. <- That is what is called a full stop. Learn to use it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    While I agree that the post is difficult to read, there's no need to be catty about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

nuac wrote: »
    Re request from An Post official to pay €70 legal expenses.

Only a court can order you to pay legal expenses - very much out of order for An Post to seek to impose costs. The official could indicate that the Judge in the area usually awards that much costs against defendants, but that is as far as (s)he could go.

Pay the licence and turn up in court. As already mentioned failing to turn up does not impress most judges. You don't have to make a big drama - previous good character etc etc do not come into it - you will be one of a longist list of cases.

No its not (out of order). It gives an opportunity to the Defendant to avoid the hassle of a court appearance and a far higher fine than 70 quid. I agree that only a judge can order costs but...

...fines on telly licenses vary according to individual judges and the reason why it was unpaid. I've seen fines of between 300 and 400 imposed on cases where the reason was 'I forgot' or 'I meant to do it but then I was really busy with work and I forgot.

I'd take the 70 quid to an post like a shot if I was given the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Reloc8 wrote: »
    No its not (out of order). It gives an opportunity to the Defendant to avoid the hassle of a court appearance and a far higher fine than 70 quid. I agree that only a judge can order costs but...

...fines on telly licenses vary according to individual judges and the reason why it was unpaid. I've seen fines of between 300 and 400 imposed on cases where the reason was 'I forgot' or 'I meant to do it but then I was really busy with work and I forgot.

I'd take the 70 quid to an post like a shot if I was given the option.
    And what if the defendant says he/she does not have a TV? or would it only reach court if they have already admitted it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

Well if the defendant has already admitted it then they have a tv so the question wouldn't arise would it ?

Because nobody who has a tv would go to court and lie on oath to say they hadn't got one would they ?

Or if they admitted it but they don't actually have a tv then they're too stupid to have a tv or in fact go to court and should tell the judge that instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Aka Ishur wrote: »

Be nice.

She already said she's not good at talking to people ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fax the licence to the TV licence records for your area, asking them nicely to strike it out.

Worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Where do they get the names from/allowed to get the names from?

The-Rigger wrote: »
    Where do they get the names from/allowed to get the names from?
    Postman
    Electoral register
    Rummaging through rubbish bins etc

Funnily I've never registered to vote but was sneakily added to the register at some point, which is pretty dodgy imo. Registered to a previous address and I've never changed it.

Live in an apartment, no chance it's the bins.
    Obviously if they share info with the postman, it'd be pretty easy, but you'd think they could have done that 6 months ago when I moved in.

The postman is asked once a year to submit details of who is on his rounds.

I see. How do you know this?

My local postman told me this. I have no reason to doubt him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cojomo2

My buddy has not paid hid license in over 3 years now. When he first moved in he paid it once, so they had him on file, he told them he was moving away and since then all tv license letters are addressed to "the occupier".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭DerekDGoldfish

Just received a summons today on christmas eve :mad:

I was panicking but this thread has calmed me down a great deal. I will get a licence when the post office open on the 27th call them up and request that it be struck out.

A warning to any others reading this thread the licence was only 11 months out of date and wasnt previously in my name and altough I had a visit from an inspector in may(who told me he would send me a letter outlining when the previous licence expired) I received not any further warnings until today. if you dont have one suck it up and get one as they dont appear to be isuing warnings anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

It doesn't seem to matter when I purchase my licence, it always seems to be applied from August, which is when I moved into an apartment in the city centre many years ago. So when I purchase a licence, it's always backdated to when the previous one expired. Therefore, I've always had a licenced TV. Is this how the courts would view it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭born2bwild

My wife has just today got a summons to appear in court in January for not having a tv licence in May. In September she bought a TV licence. What is going on here? Is there any way of getting out of this court appearance? Does an Post check its up to date records of who has or hasn't got a licence before seeking to bring people to court?

Advertisement