Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Great race wasn't it? Had a massive smile hurtling through the trees.

Well done on holding someone the runner off. Very satisfying to hold runners off on the fireroad. Equally, it's a pain in the arse to get taken there.

No smile on my face until I reached the finish line but it was definitely the most fun IMRA race!

belcarra wrote: »
    Planning on doing the Half Marathon 'PLOD' this weekend.
    I'll certainly be plodding as I'll be using it as a training run.

You doing it?

Yes, I've registered but the soreness in my legs today tells me I should use it as a training run too. Might see you there - will probably wear Connemarathon t-shirt :)

Wednesday

Swimming: 1000m lunchtime at Seapoint. Weather wasn't the greatest but the water wasn't too bad :)

Thursday

Running: 6.13km recovery to work.

Swimming: A 'dip' in the Forty Foot à la Marthastew. Lots of jellyfish so I didn't really enjoy it, or swim very far - probably 300m breaststroke with head above water. I might just stick to jellyfish-free Seapoint for a while :o

Friday

Legs feeling a little sore from Wednesday so I'm taking a day off running today. As I'll be doing the Dublin Mountain Plod (half marathon) on Sunday, I still have 15km or so to make up the weekly mileage, so will do it Saturday.

Saturday

Running: Legs still felt a little sore from Wednesday. Did a slow 14.5km around the Phoenix Park on all my favourite trails. Running on trails and grass felt like a treat :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Yes, I've registered but the soreness in my legs today tells me I should use it as a training run too. Might see you there - will probably wear Connemarathon t-shirt :)

Just seeing this now...did you do it?
    I saw one or two conn t-shirts but not sure if either were yourself.

I'd planned on taking it easy but couldn't help myself from pushing it. Still a good bit off where I was a couple of months ago but I managed to get home in 2:03:57 at what was probably 95% effort. I took a few extra walking breaks just to let the HR come down but I have a feeling the legs might be a bit tender in the morning from all the downhill!

• Advertisement

Placing: 79 out of 165 (top 48%)
    Percentage of winner's time: 138%
    Time: 1:59:23

This half marathon was no plod - a very fast pace throughout.

My legs felt a lot more fresh today thanks to the rest on Friday and slow run on Saturday. The race started off relatively fast but was ground to a halt at a bottleneck to go through a gap in the hedge after 600 metres. I settled into a good rhythm very early on and was chatting away to grahamor and a few others. To be honest I hardly felt the incline until we got into Massy's Estate.

I was finding it a bit hard to anticipate my footfall with a few runners in front of me so I passed a group of 3 or so and soon found myself on my own. Having run in Massy's a good few times before, I knew where the stiles were and how to get around them. In between the final two stiles I found 3 people in the ditch trying to climb up. I took the easy way around the ditch and left the three behind me :D

Up through Cruagh Wood was nice, especially looking over to the ridge of Tibradden and seeing the race leaders. I caught about 10 runners through Cruagh to the 10km water station at the entrance to Tibradden Wood. Stopped for two cups of water and was on my way again. I had to stop again after a minute to remove a stone from my shoe - I lost about a minute and a few places here.

Tibradden to the base of Two Rock was as slow as usual due to the small rocks on the trail. I soon gave up looking for footfall spaces between the rocks and started looking for rocks to run on! It actually worked out easier so I'll bear it in mind for my next trip up there. Came across a runner who fell and badly cut her knees and her hip too but I think she started running again soon as she was only a minute behind me at the end.

I was looking forward to my favourite trail around the western slope of Two Rock but my legs were quite tired by now so I wasn't as fast as I had hoped. Once I got to the 18km water station I knew I had a chance to finish under two hours. Five kms of good downhill through Kilmashogue were surely enough to bring me there in time. I passed a good few people from here to Marlay Park and still felt good. The last section into and through Marlay Park was a killer and I had one runner ahead of me who I wanted to pass. I didn't in the end but I was delighted to cross the line in 1:59:23.

As usual IMRA organised a great race which was well-marshalled and marked. The tshirts and the water stations were a nice touch :)

Garmin Link

I'd planned on taking it easy but couldn't help myself from pushing it. Still a good bit off where I was a couple of months ago but I managed to get home in 2:03:57 at what was probably 95% effort. I took a few extra walking breaks just to let the HR come down but I have a feeling the legs might be a bit tender in the morning from all the downhill!

That's a great time considering your month's break from running just finished last week! I'm considering the two races in the trail league - Glen of the Downs and Djouce. It's becoming very addictive.

A few days of recovery running on grass and you'll be sorted!

Monday

Cycling: An extremely wet 10.5km to work. Lots of fun though!

Swimming: 400m breaststroke at Seapoint. Had no goggles so had to do the head above water swim. Still good to get out though.

Running: 14km General Aerobic home from work in my wet runners. Kept the pace very slow, ie 6:15min/km

Tuesday

Running: 24km Medium-Long Run with Vagga at 6am. Went out to Poolbeg Lighthouse and got soaked. Conversational pace a good bit faster than a few months ago according to Vagga! A nice run anyway. I continued on out to Dún Laoghaire and out the West Pier and back.

Just noticed when I got back that this run was supposed to be 23km. To be honest I'm delighted that tomorrow's 8km recovery will only be 7km. Despite being able to run 38km in the past 12 hours, I'm still not recovered from Sunday's race. One more day should do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Monday

Cycling: An extremely wet 10.5km to work. Lots of fun though!

Swimming: 400m breaststroke at Seapoint. Had no goggles so had to do the head above water swim. Still good to get out though.

Running: 14km General Aerobic home from work in my wet runners. Kept the pace very slow, ie 6:15min/km

Tuesday

Running: 24km Medium-Long Run with Vagga at 6am. Went out to Poolbeg Lighthouse and got soaked. Conversational pace a good bit faster than a few months ago according to Vagga! A nice run anyway. I continued on out to Dún Laoghaire and out the West Pier and back.

Just noticed when I got back that this run was supposed to be 23km. To be honest I'm delighted that tomorrow's 8km recovery will only be 7km. Despite being able to run 38km in the past 12 hours, I'm still not recovered from Sunday's race. One more day should do it.

You'd want to make sure you don't overdo it there MM...that's a lot of training on the back of Sunday!
    I'm always impressed by people who can get up for a training run @ 6am...lovely time of day but sleep is a nicer alternative. And then to rack up 24km as well - fair play!

You'd want to make sure you don't overdo it there MM...that's a lot of training on the back of Sunday!
    I'm always impressed by people who can get up for a training run @ 6am...lovely time of day but sleep is a nicer alternative. And then to rack up 24km as well - fair play!

Yeah, I'm being very careful at the moment watching out for signs of overtraining. I've had minimal muscle or joint soreness, and my energy levels are still quite high so I must be doing things right. I haven't eaten much red meat recently though so to tackle that I had two quarter pounders Tuesday night and two more last night :pac:

A 6am run on my own is a lot harder to get up for than a 6am run with company. This morning I woke up at 6am, stayed awake reading in bed for an hour, had a small bowl of porridge and only left the house at 7:50. Massive procrastination!! The moment you start thinking about your run before you've left the house, the harder it will get! It's always a lot easier when I have my gear ready beside my bed and my porridge waiting in the microwave from the previous night!

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Swimming: 750m OW at Seapoint. I felt dizzy coming out of the water. I don't think it was water in my ear or anything, but a lack of food, again! Resolved with a few burgers and chips at the Springsteen gig :)

Wednesday
    Running: 7km recovery to work. Short and slow :D

Swimming: 1000m OW at Seapoint. A very strong tide/current when coming back to shore made this a very hard swim.

More burgers and chips at second Springsteen gig :D

Thursday

Running: 18km Medium-Long run to work. Took a slightly different route. The sun was out as well as a cool westerly sea-breeze :)

Feeling very good today, although I'm struggling to get the calories into me. My carb shake arrived from Wiggle today, so that should help a bit.

Thursday

Swimming: 1000m at Seapoint.

Friday

Running: 8km Recovery up to Bushy Park and back.

Saturday

Day of rest :)

Sunday

Running: 29km Long Run. I had a long week - 4 late nights and a wedding - it kind of caught up with me by the end of this long run, so much of Sunday was spent with very tired legs. Nothing to worry about.

100km run this week :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Graham colmer told me you piped him up in the mountain plod, well done buddy and good luck for Dublin.
    P.S. watch your back as graham has an awful angry streak and dosnt like being beaten:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Graham colmer told me you piped him up in the mountain plod,

:eek: He did what?

haha, it just goes to show you the difference one little letter can make.
    Durrty:P

In all fairness he was still recovering from a double-marathon, as you know yourself!

Are you doing the Dingle Ultra? I'm only doing the Half but the Ultra route looks great, especially going over the Connor Pass.

na im doing the 4in4 in donegal the same weekend:D

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    na im doing the 4in4 in donegal the same weekend:D

4 in 4?! :eek: I think I'll stick with 3 in 365 for the time being. Any idea how many miles you've run this year?

Monday

Normally I would have run on a Monday but having the day off work meant I was too lazy! I swapped the run with a midday nap :D

Tuesday

Cycle: 10.5km to work.

Swimming: 750m at Seapoint. Water was lovely :)

Running: 14km with 8km @ LT pace (4:52min/km). I found it a lot easier than my last attempt a few weeks ago! Very enjoyable!

Wednesday

Running: 24km Medium-Long Run to work. Ran from Rathmines to Poolbeg Lighthouse, out the coast to Dún Laoghaire and down the West Pier and back in time for work.

I ditched my bag at the start of the South Bull Wall to pick up on the way back. The weight makes a big difference, but I really have no other alternative without logistical headaches!

Wednesday

Swimming: 1000m at Seapoint at lunchtime

Cycling: 10.5km home from work.

Thursday

Cycling: 10.5km to work.

Swimming:
    • 1400m at Seapoint at 8am.
    • 1250m again at 6pm.
    • Another 1400m straight after as I met another friend who wanted a long swim!
    I was supposed to run 7km recovery but I think 4km+ of swimming is enough to make up for it. I've never swum so far in my life! Needless to say my shoulders are sore. I promise this is not a tri log (yet ;)).

• Advertisement

Friday

Running: 19km Medium-Long Run to work. I kept the pace slow enough so I could recover quicker for Saturday's Long Run.

Swimming: 1400m at Seapoint after work. It's very enjoyable to swim when not under pressure to get back to work within the hour.

Saturday

Running: The plan was 29km Long run with 13km at PMP (5:00min/km). I ran from home to the Phoenix Park. Coming up to the Papal Cross I spotted a few boardsies and caught up with them. They were going a good bit faster than what I had intended to do, but I felt good so decided to stick with them. My first 16km ended up at 5:21min/km rather than my intended pace in the slower end of 5:25 - 5:55. I still went to finish the other 13km at PMP and ended up averaging slightly slower at 5:02min/km. Still, a very good workout. Hand plenty of beers afterwards :)

I can't believe I only have two PMP Long Runs left :eek:

Monday

Swimming: After enquiring a month ago, my 1-1 pool swimming classes finally began today. As I suspected, my feet and legs are sinking too much and creating a lot of drag. I started kicking properly and right enough the pace picked up a lot, but I was very out of breath :o Also, my breathing position is wrong so I'll have to practice a few drills so that I point my head more to the side rather than behind when breathing.

Running: 14km recovery home from work. This was a combination of the recovery runs I was supposed to do on Thursday and Sunday. Feeling very fit :)

I was 1km short of my weekly total, but it was a very good week.

Tuesday

Running: 13km to Seapoint (General Aerobic with 10 x 100m strides).

Swimming: 500m concentrating on breathing and kicking. Very cold water compared to last week, but it was extremely clear :)

Wednesday

Running: 10.5km at My Own Pace. I wasn't in the mood for following any plan, or distance, so I just ran home at a fast pace :D

Thursday

Running: 19.5km Medium-Long Run to Dún Laoghaire. Fantastic weather. Kept the pace slow.

This is my first recovery week and so far it's going well. There's still a lot of running involved but I have temporarily cut down on a lot of my cross-training.

Thursday

Cycling: 8km to Killiney

Swimming: 900m or so at Killiney beach. The water is a lot cleaner here, but a little bit colder. Very large swell today by my standards so it was a lot of fun!

Friday

Running: 8km Recovery at lunchtime.

Saturday

Running: 13km General Aerobic in Spiddal. My first time in a long time since I ate no breakfast beforehand. I could feel it in the final few kms.

Monday

Running: 24km Medium-Long Run. I intended to run this slowly but this being a recovery week I felt good and couldn't (didn't want to) slow down. Pace was 5:18min/km

Swimming: Had a dip in the water at the Seanchéibh beach in Spiddal. Lovely clean water again. I was too tired to do any proper distance but I did concentrate on my technique a little bit. Probably 400m.

Mesocycle 1 (Endurance) Roundup
    I'm very happy with my progress:
    • I have hit all the weekly mileage (apart from 1km in Week 5).
    • My pace has been good and have only slightly struggled once or twice.
    • No injuries.
    • A lot of cross-training has given me something else to focus on.
    Plan for Mesocycle 2 (Lactate Threshold + Endurance)
    • Dingle Half-Marathon on 1st September. Going to go for sub 1:40 - finally!
    • Get my HRM back to see how I'm doing.
    • Stretching and strengthening exercises from P&D.
    • Drop weight to 68kg.

Tuesday

Cycling: 10.5km to work

Swimming: 500m at Seapoint concentrating on technique. The kicking is making me go out of breath quickly.

Running: 16km with 8km @ Lactate Threshold / 4:52min/km.
    This pace is becoming easy :D

Wednesday

Running: 23km Medium-Long to work. Ran out to Poolbeg Lighthouse just before the mist descended so it was an interesting run listening to the fog horns from the lighthouse and the two passenger ferries. Continued on to Dún Laoghaire. My Garmin strap broke just before I left home so I had to leave it in the bag and run on feel. Pace ended up a little bit quick 5:19min/km. Got a new strap in the local jewellers.

Thursday

Swimming: Another swimming class. I have a lot of things to improve!

Running: 8km Recovery home from work. In the space of five minutes two people at the DART station asked me about my Connemarathon t-shirt! One fella said he used to do up to 3,500 miles a year but his knees are now fecked.

Friday

Running: 18km Medium-Long to work. What a beautiful morning!

My appetite has been way down in the past two days. A sign of overtraining?

Friday

Swimming: 1500m at Seapoint after work. The place was thronged which is good to see. A very enjoyable swim. I was very happy with my technique, especially my arm entry.

Saturday

Running: 11km General Aerobic with 10 x 100m strides. Ran to the Phoenix Park, did 3km with strides and back home. Knee feeling a bit sore afterwards.

Sunday

Cycling: 10km to and from the Phoenix Park

Running: 34km Long Run.

A combination of work-related stress and a few other things took its toll on me meaning I was in no humour for running this morning. It took me 2 hours to eat my breakfast, dress and leave the house. Once on the bike to the Phoenix Park to start my run I knew that a long run was exactly what I needed to clear my head. I left a few bottles of water near the Papal Cross so I could run without a bag on my back.

The first 8km loop I tried keeping my pace as slow as my prescribed range allowed (5:27 - 5:56min/km). The second loop I was a good bit faster, around 5:40min/km. The third loop felt very hot but my pace was getting faster - 5:35min/km. The fourth and fifth loops I was getting tired but the pace getting faster again - below 5:27min/km! Coming to the 32km mark I was in great form, mentally speaking. My longest training session before today was 32km so the extra 2km really helped me to believe in myself and finish a long, long run on a high! I can also safely say that my appetite is back too :D

Monday

Legs felt perfectly fine after Sunday's 21-miler.

Swimming: Pool lesson and 1500m at Seapoint.

Cycling: 21km to and from work.

Tuesday

Running (morning): 10km recovery up to Bushy Park, around and back to Rathmines. Lovely morning.

Cycling: 10.5km to work

Running (evening): 6km recovery from Booterstown DART to Rathmines. Roasting!

First double session of this training cycle. With the pace as slow as it was (6:00min/km), it really is very easy to manage.

Wednesday

Running: 23km Medium-Long run. Out to Poolbeg Lighthouse and the South Bull Wall of Wind, and out the coast to Dún Laoghaire. You could sense the impending storm out there - lots of white horses on the sea!

Looking forward to Sunday's 20-miler - planning to run most of the Dublin Mountain Way :)

Have had to pull out from the Dingle Half-Marathon.

I have asked the RD to defer my entry to the 2013 Ultra. How long is that one again?

Thursday

Running: 8km recovery at lunchtime.

Cycling: 10.5km home.

Friday

Running: 18km Medium-Long Run to work. Can't remember it!

Swimming: 1750m at Seapoint. Had a half-day from work so took my time out in the water. It took me a while to remember the different things I'm supposed to focus on.

Saturday

Running: 10km recovery up to Bushy Park, around and back. It's a nice park to run in, some decent trails down near the Dodder.

Sunday

Cycling: 10km to and from Phoenix Park.

Running: 32km Long Run. Good progression in pace, a very comfortable run. Legs are very sore now.

Already beginning to regret entering Dingle Ultra!

Monday

No rest day as I needed to finish this week on the Saturday to accommodate a Sunday hangover.

Running (morning): 10km Recovery up to Bushy Park and back.

Running (evening): 6km Recovery from Dún Laoghaire to Killiney.

Cycling: 10.5km to Dún Laoghaire.

Swimming: 1000m at Killiney Beach. Very strong currents there. A tri club had a swim session there at the same time so there was plenty of traffic around the buoys!

Tuesday

Running: 24km Medium-Long Run to work. I couldn't slow the pace, it ended up at an average of 5:40min/km!

Wednesday

Swimming: 1200m at Seapoint. The times are slowly coming down :)

Running: 10km Recovery home from work. It's nice to take the most direct route between home and work sometimes!

Thursday

Running: 21km Medium-Long run to work. Loads of runners around Irishtown Nature Park and the South Bull Wall this morning!

Friday

Running: 11km General Aerobic w/6 x 100m strides. I can relax my upper body muscles during these strides, but I'm not sure that my gait is correct - I tend to do these accelerations with a fore-foot / toe strike, something I don't do at the slower paces. Something to read up about.

Saturday

Running: 26km Long Run with 20km at 5:00min/km (PMP)

I met up with Belcarra at Clontarf Road and headed out towards Sutton. Belcarra knows the distances here better than I do so he took me on a bit of a tour around St. Anne's Park and the Raheny 2-mile race route.

Plan was to start PMP kms after 7km, but somehow started after 6km. Was very warm for the first few kms and then ditched the running bag at his mate's house after 10km which helped me cool down a bit. The kms flew by and I never felt uncomfortable with the pace. Picked up the bag again on the way back. Belcarra wasn't feeling the best at this stage so we had a few slower kms - nothing too slow. Delighted with how strong I felt finishing the session. I had no need for a midday nap or a large feed to recover :)

The coming week has my first VO2 Max session - can't wait!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Your a machine, Jesus :)

Great running

Advertisement