Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Micilín's Mucky Miles

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Thursday

Running: 11km recovery home from work.

Friday

Running: 10.61km recovery to work.

Cycling: 10km home from work.

Saturday

Running: A slightly hilly 11.25km recovery around Spiddal. I heard my first ever cuckoo!

Sunday

Running: 24km Medium-Long Run around Spiddal. Had a good few pints on Saturday night so I wasn't expecting much. Went out at 5:45min/km pace and gradually sped up. What a glorious day! Did the same loop as Saturday, twice. Had a 10-minute rest before going out on the second loop to have a bit of water and banana. Found a new longer bog road to run in future.

Monday

Swimming
    : 750 metres

Cycling: 10.5km to work and will cycle home later too.

Tuesday

Running: 14km to work with 8km @ 4:52 pace (Lactate Threshold). It felt more like a Puking Threshold run tbh. The 4:52min/km pace is based on my McMillan 10-mile prediction given by my recent 10km PB of 46:45 (just to make it complicated).

It has been a long time since I did an LT run, and the prescribed pace is quite a bit faster too. My splits for the LT were:

4:45
    4:49
    4:51
    4:44
    4:54
    4:55

which is an average of 4:50.

At the end of the first km, I really couldn't tell if I could hold the pace for another 7km, so I was delighted that I could, even with a slight uphill drag in Blackrock and a headwind most of the way. In terms of heart-rate, P&D recommend that LT heart-rate should be between 82% and 91% of max heart-rate. Mine today was about 92% for the last 4km. It's a good feeling finishing a hard run like this :)

A pain has been appearing in my shoulder during faster runs in the past while: today, and all four IMRA races to date. I had the problem when I first started running 21 months ago, but the last time I can remember having it was during my first 5-mile race. If it persists for the next two IMRA races, I'll book an appointment with my physio. I'm probably just really weak in my shoulders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Tuesday

Running: 14km to work with 8km @ 4:52 pace (Lactate Threshold). It felt more like a Puking Threshold run tbh. The 4:52min/km pace is based on my McMillan 10-mile prediction given by my recent 10km PB of 46:45 (just to make it complicated).

It has been a long time since I did an LT run, and the prescribed pace is quite a bit faster too. My splits for the LT were:

4:45
    4:44
    4:54
    4:55

which is an average of 4:50.

At the end of the first km, I really couldn't tell if I could hold the pace for another 7km, so I was delighted that I could, even with a slight uphill drag in Blackrock and a headwind most of the way. In terms of heart-rate, P&D recommend that LT heart-rate should be between 82% and 91% of max heart-rate. Mine today was about 92% for the last 4km. It's a good feeling finishing a hard run like this :)

A pain has been appearing in my shoulder during faster runs in the past while: today, and all four IMRA races to date. I had the problem when I first started running 21 months ago, but the last time I can remember having it was during my first 5-mile race. If it persists for the next two IMRA races, I'll book an appointment with my physio. I'm probably just really weak in my shoulders.

Micilin. Good training. If you are still building up youre fitness a great session is a "sub-tempo" session say 12-14 k at a good clip but not quite tempo pace. Controlled, pretty comfortable but fast. Its a great one to hardwire leg turnover into the legs. Youll find that in hill runs it will allow you to pick up the pace on good bits and generally help you through the whole race feeling that youre have the legs for the entire distance.
    Another huge advantage to it is that it is better for longer term progression. It boosts your aerobic threshold and aerobic capacity.
    It also makes your legs strong and it means you can cover more kilometres in a week (tempo requires recovery), which helps weight loss and leanness.
    Tempos shouldnt be a feel like puking affair. They should be toughsh but controlled. eg for a 20 min tempo, imagine teh pace youd run now for a 30min tempo. Thats the adjustment youd need. A sub-temp/temp every 2nd week is good. I just do sub-tempos mainly.

T runner wrote: »
    Micilin. Good training. If you are still building up youre fitness a great session is a "sub-tempo" session say 12-14 k at a good clip but not quite tempo pace. Controlled, pretty comfortable but fast. Its a great one to hardwire leg turnover into the legs. Youll find that in hill runs it will allow you to pick up the pace on good bits and generally help you through the whole race feeling that youre have the legs for the entire distance.
    Another huge advantage to it is that it is better for longer term progression. It boosts your aerobic threshold and aerobic capacity.
    It also makes your legs strong and it means you can cover more kilometres in a week (tempo requires recovery), which helps weight loss and leanness.
    Tempos shouldnt be a feel like puking affair. They should be toughsh but controlled. eg for a 20 min tempo, imagine teh pace youd run now for a 30min tempo. Thats the adjustment youd need. A sub-temp/temp every 2nd week is good. I just do sub-tempos mainly.

Thanks T :)

Working on leg turnover is certainly something I haven't been doing since before the marathon in March. Whereas yesterday's workout was hard, my legs feel great today.

My primary goal for the past few weeks has been to build up the mileage slowly to 55 miles/week. I'm nearly there and now feel like I can concentrate on doing some tempo runs. As I do IMRA races on Wednesdays and long runs on Sundays, do you think Tuesdays would be the optimal time for me to do your sub-tempo run? I think yesterday's LT was good timing as I was more or less recovered from my Sunday long run, and today my legs feel ready for tonight's race.

Congrats on your win last week!

Wednesday

Swimming: 750 metres.

Usually I swim 3 sets of 10 lengths with every second lap changing between front crawl, breast stroke and back stroke. This has been good for recovering between the different strokes.

Today I swam 10 consecutive lengths of front crawl, 10 breast stroke and 10 back stroke. It's a lot harder on the muscles :pac: and felt my heart-rate was a bit faster. I might try this once a week. I'm going to increase the distance to 1000m from Friday too.

Cycling: 10.5km to work. If the weather is nice, I might cycle home from tonight's IMRA on Djouce Mountain rather than get a lift home. I'll see how I feel.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭T runner

Thanks T :)

Working on leg turnover is certainly something I haven't been doing since before the marathon in March. Whereas yesterday's workout was hard, my legs feel great today.

My primary goal for the past few weeks has been to build up the mileage slowly to 55 miles/week. I'm nearly there and now feel like I can concentrate on doing some tempo runs. As I do IMRA races on Wednesdays and long runs on Sundays, do you think Tuesdays would be the optimal time for me to do your sub-tempo run? I think yesterday's LT was good timing as I was more or less recovered from my Sunday long run, and today my legs feel ready for tonight's race.

Congrats on your win last week!

Ideally id say Friday or saturday for the sub-tempo. As long as the week is mainly aerobic.

Id leave tuesdays as easy before wednesdays race but youre legs feel good so youre laughing for tonight. Tonights race is one you can hold back slightly and really take off at the summit. Start in the position you hope to finish though as its tight enough at the start. Any parts of the descent that has good running, run as hard as you can. Youll recover on any trickier bits.

Thanks re last week. Glad i dont have to race it again as there would most definately be a difefrent result.

Im still getting a lot of benefit from the big mileage for a recent marathon.

BTW Dont try to do too much too soon. Settle in and get used to the 55 miles for a couple of month. With 6-7 times 55 miles in your legs come the league end youll have jumped hugely. It must be sustaineable. Took me years to understand that. Consistancy (sustaineability) and the body will start adapting big time.

You could Wednesday hill run, sat sub-tempo or long interval, sunday long.

Another 1/2 session im doing is a downhill 100-200m strides. Im trying to turn teh legs slightly faster which is having a very possitive affect on leg speed. Doing 6, twice a week on easy days. Handy one for tuesday before the race.

T runner wrote: »
    Ideally id say Friday or saturday for the sub-tempo. As long as the week is mainly aerobic.

Id leave tuesdays as easy before wednesdays race but youre legs feel good so youre laughing for tonight. Tonights race is one you can hold back slightly and really take off at the summit. Start in the position you hope to finish though as its tight enough at the start. Any parts of the descent that has good running, run as hard as you can. Youll recover on any trickier bits.

Thanks re last week. Glad i dont have to race it again as there would most definately be a difefrent result.

Im still getting a lot of benefit from the big mileage for a recent marathon.

BTW Dont try to do too much too soon. Settle in and get used to the 55 miles for a couple of month. With 6-7 times 55 miles in your legs come the league end youll have jumped hugely. It must be sustaineable. Took me years to understand that. Consistancy (sustaineability) and the body will start adapting big time.

You could Wednesday hill run, sat sub-tempo or long interval, sunday long.

Another 1/2 session im doing is a downhill 100-200m strides. Im trying to turn teh legs slightly faster which is having a very possitive affect on leg speed. Doing 6, twice a week on easy days. Handy one for tuesday before the race.

Cheers T :) That sounds like an idea (downhill strides on a Tuesday). My legs usually struggle to keep up with me on the fast descents! I think I'll volunteer rather than run one of the LL races. That way I'll get to see you and the pros in action!

Was more focused and prepared for this one. Did a warm up on the race route 12 minutes before the start.

I must have placed myself well as I passed about 20 people more than passed me on the ascent to Djouce. The sun was right in our eyes for some of the climb, making it hard to see stray rocks etc. The climb was spectacular, especially since I could see the race leaders 1km or so ahead of us. I passed about 10 people in the final 200m or so to the summit.

The descent immediately off the summit was a running moment I won't forget as the views were stunning! Had to concentrate on footing unfortunately. I was on my own for a good 10 minutes when suddenly a crowd of around 15 runners passed me out coming down to the river crossing. I managed to put in a strong finish, passing one or two people.

Placing: 154/255 (top 60%)
    Percentage of winner's time: 158%
    Distance: 8.16km
    Climb: 425m

Overall I was very happy with this as it was an improvement from the previous week. I wouldn't have changed much in how I paced it.

Garmin Link

Thursday

Cycling: 14km to work (took the long route because of the weather smile.gif)
    10.5km home from work.

Friday

Running:
    Got up at 5:45am and ran to the Phoenix Park around the Forty Acres and home: 14km. A good start to the day and glad to be back in the Park.

Cycling: 10.5km to work and 10.5km home again.

Swimming: Brought my swimming gear to work to swim at Seapoint lunch time. Didn't have a lunch hour so I left early before 5pm and did 500m (or so I was told). The water wasn't too cold at all and was actually quite pleasant. Will do this more often smile.gif

Sunday

Running: 25.84km with 16km @ 4:58min/km (goal marathon pace). Was very tired this morning and quite apprehensive of this session so I procrastinated my breakfast and leaving the house. I left after midday in the heat of the day with my running bag and three x 500ml bottles of water.

I planned my route so that I would be in the shade of the wooded trails and it worked out great. I didn't burn in the sun and never felt very thirsty. Despite never having run 16km at such a fast pace before, I managed just fine. It did feel like I was running a race/time trial, but was never uncomfortable. Average heart rate was only 172bpm - very low for me considering the heat and the pace!

Finished the 16km PMP in 1:19:23. If I had continued recording my Garmin for the next 90 metres I could have had a 10-mile PB, my most stubborn PB mad.gif Ah well, not a big deal!

Garmin Link

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I was running the trails at pretty much the same time today as yourself Micilin...we probably passed/met each other en route.
    The trails were great today - Nice and warm but still had the shade of the trees - brilliant!

• Advertisement

Monday

Cycling: 10.5km to work.

Swimming: Went back to Seapoint at lunchtime and swam out to the first buoy and on to the third and back again. The water felt like a lukewarm bath - a lot hotter than the Adriatic in Croatia two weeks ago! The water was slightly choppy and a good ten minutes was spent head-on.

The return inshore was a lit bit discomforting - the wind was coming from my left but I felt like I was being pushed to the right. I'll have to read up about currents and chat to some of whatever regular swimmers I meet down there. I'm not too sure of the distances either, but judging by what I was told by a swimmer there on Friday, I must have done around 1000 metres today. I never really felt tired, despite not having done that distance/spent 40 minutes of continuous swimming before in my life! My shoulders feel sort of tired tonight, but if they feel fine in the morning I'll go again tomorrow lunchtime :) Hopefully I'll feel more awake afterwards!

Distance: 1000m (probably)
    Time: 40 minutes or so

Running: 10.45km recovery home from work. Wasn't as hot as yesterday, but was still tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Good Work!

I'm doing a lot of travelling these days - but we should get those midweek long runs back up and doing since our training pace and plans are pretty similar :)

Fridays seem to be the best day for the midweek long runs for me! Fancy 18km or so next Friday morning?

Tuesday

Running: 10.5km recovery to work. Heart-rate a lot lower in the mornings than in the evenings!

Cycling: Will cycle 10.5km home later.

No swimming today - my shoulders are kind of stiff from yesterday and the sun has gone away :o. Will go the pool tomorrow morning.

Going to Galway after tomorrow's IMRA race for the long weekend. Will bring swimming shorts as there's a blue-flag beach in Spiddal. I recently popped the question which means I will be moving to Spiddal in a couple of years :D I'll have everything on my doorstep - hills, quiet bog roads, blue-flag beaches!

Fridays seem to be the best day for the midweek long runs for me! Fancy 18km or so next Friday morning?
    Im away this Friday, but we will figure it out :)

Friday 8th June?

Wednesday

Swimming: 1000m. Did 40 lengths of the pool this morning. I took one break after 20 lengths, and a few 3-second breaks to let other swimmers go ahead of me.

I've started to lose some weight :) Down 0.5kg from last week.

Wednesday

Running: 8km from Na Forbacha to Spiddal. Lovely cool breeze. Heart rate very low again - my recovery HR pace is 5 seconds per km slower than Connemara Marathon Pace.

Friday

Running: 14.25km up Baile an tSagairt, down Moycullen Road to Spiddal and up to Seanmhóinín. Very low, dense fog but the weather was sweltering! Heard cuckoo and saw some hares.

Swimming: 30 minutes down at the Seanchéibh. Very clean water and took a few minutes to warm up. Went out to the first buoy laid for the currach races on Sunday.

Saturday

Running: An easy, hungover 6km recovery with stopoff at shop for white pudding and sausages :)

Sunday

Walking: 8.5km.

Monday

Running: 19km to and from the Phoenix Park. I had to work from home on the Bank Holiday so I left the house at 7.45. Very few runners in the Park. Pace was good and heart-rate was on target too for LSR pace.

I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app for the iPhone a few days ago. I've always found it hard to lose weight as I was never very interested in counting calories. But this app lets you scan barcodes and provides the calorie count.

I set the app for 1.5lbs of weight-loss per week over 4 weeks which is a 750-calories daily deficit. The first four days I went over my allowance (thanks to Arthur Guinness and steak) but Sunday and Monday I was more careful and was on target.

Hopefully I'll be down from 75.4kg to 70kg by the end of this month when I start the proper training for DCM '12.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Cycling: 10.5km to work

Running: 10.38km in 54:53, General Aerobic. I keep going on about it but my heart-rate (79%) is seriously low for the pace (5:17min/km). It felt effortless :D

It this is all increased fitness (probably from extra cross-training), I might take a stab at a half marathon after the end of the IMRA Summer League. I feel like I'm capable of a sub-1:40 half marathon. That would be a nice 16-minute PB :)

Wednesday

Swimming: 1000m in the pool. Took one break half-way through for about 90 seconds.

I weighed in at 74.3kg this morning, down 1.1kg from last week. Finally :rolleyes:

Friday 8th June?
    Still on for this mate? Im away for the weekend, for a change, and need to get some kind of LSR in - and Friday would be perfect?

Still on for this mate? Im away for the weekend, for a change, and need to get some kind of LSR in - and Friday would be perfect?

Sounds good! 6am at the usual spot?

A week off from IMRA races did me good - both rest and a chance to not worry about ankle-breaking descents!

I did a 1km warmup finishing 5 minutes before the race start.

As it was an out-and-back route, the first 4km was 340m+ of uphill. My legs felt heavy for the first 1km but I got into a rhythm and passed a lot of runners. 2.5km in I felt a side-stitch coming on in but thankfully didn't reappear. Just after the 3km mark my shoulder started hurting again but not as bad as previously - it stayed with me until the end of the race. There were a series of false-peaks for runners not familiar with Scarr (myself included) which was difficult to deal with, especially with the sweat falling off you. I had a few moments of fast walking at the steeper parts and passed a good few people at these parts.

Just after the turnaround at the summit, I started getting cramps in my stomach. I don't think it slowed me down too much at all, until 6.5km. I walked for about 100m and got passed by about 5 people. I soon got going and ran quite hard for the last 1.5km. Legs were shaking for about 5 minutes after the race! Overall I enjoyed the descent and was probably at my most comfortable with descending tonight. Part of this was because I laced my shoes tighter so there was less roll when running across sloped sections.

Placing: 109 out of 208 (top 52%) - not my best placing.
    Percentage of winner's time: 136% - best so far!

7.94km in 50:13 - Garmin Link

Thursday

Running: 10.34km recovery to work. Was wet the minute I stepped outside, but didn't even consider turning back or hopping on a DART!

Swimming: 1200m in the pool (48 lengths). Great for stress relief :) I pulled a muscle in my foot on the 47th length :rolleyes: No harm done.

Went to physio today about my shoulder pain. He was surprised that it wasn't an earlier trauma injury that caused it, especially since I've had it during earlier attempts at taking up running (since I was 18). So he poked and prodded for a good 10 minutes which was extremely painful - nearly felt like I was going to pass out! Did electrotherapy on it for 15 minutes for relief. Feeling very sore now, it looks kind of swollen. Strange that I feel annoyed that the pain will stop me from swimming for a few days!

Saturday

Running: 21km in Phoenix Park and home. Sore shoulder didn't bother me as I knew the pain wouldn't go away. Kept the pace around 5:45min/km so I wouldn't be too tired for Sunday's 29km LSR. Listened to a few podcasts for a change. It's easier listening to radio shows when you're fitter and more confident of your running.

Sunday

Running: 28.86km Long run from Rathmines to Three Rock/Fairy Castle and back.

My legs were still quite stiff from Saturday's 21km so I started this run off feeling already tired. I tried keeping the pace around 6min/km for the first 8km but found it slipping as the elevation started to rise more. Turned the Garmin display to distance-only as the slower pace was bothering me.

I took the tarmac road up Kilmashogue Lane, (got a laugh from seeing a house called 'Bel Éire') and up through the Coillte forest road on the side of Kilmashogue Mountain. The climb on this was really tough and I just focused on plodding along and sticking to a breathing rhythm. Once I got to the aerials I took a 1-minute break for a gel and refilling of water (brought 1.5-litre bottle in my running bag).

The climb up to Fairy Castle from the aerials was probably the easiest I've ever done it - there's a new path all the way up to the top. Took another minute to drink some water and take in the views. Went down the western slope of Two Rock. Again it was very fast due to the path built on the old trail down.

I continued around to just below the aerials and down the tarmac road to Kellystown Lane. I think my shoes may have been too tight and had to loosen them when I got to the M50 bridge. Here down to Rathmines was tough and I was very thirsty. Finished when I reached the house at 28.86km and couldn't bring myself to round it off to 29km :rolleyes:

This run was probably nearly as physically tough as the Connemarathon, but glad I saw it through to the end! A rest day today (20km of cycling and maybe 1km of swimming :)) should see me rested in time for IMRA Powerscourt Uphill on Wednesday evening. Will never do back to back long runs again (in training for 26.2 miles ;)).

Monday

Cycling: 20km to and from work. I missed out on swimming because I was working until 9pm :mad:

My shoulder is feeling a lot better already but now my calf is beginning to hurt - no doubt from Sunday's hill run.

• Advertisement

Tuesday

Cycling: 10km to work

Running: 15km General Aerobic home from work with 10 x 100m strides.

Missed out on swimming once more :mad:

Wednesday

Swimming: Was working at home until 1am last night so I needed a lie-in - no pool swimming. The weather looked kind of nice at 1pm today so I got some gear in Elvery's and went swimming down in Seapoint with a colleague. Only did about 500m but am very glad I did it. Not too cold either, but the tide was fair bit out which was annoying.

Don't know yet if I'll make IMRA Powerscourt Uphill tonight. It would be a good race to boost my rankings in the league as it's an uphill-only race (finish line at the top of Djouce), however I may be doing overtime yet again :mad:

Advertisement