Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 6 (The Box)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

7 entries before the deadline, one after and three no-shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Oryx wrote: »
    How many entries did you get, pickarooney?

Angell I used to use that excuse at school. It never worked :)

Looks like it hasn't worked now either,lol. Ah well,gl all that did enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

Like at Cannes?

If you miss the deadline at Cannes and still want to show your film, they ask you "Like in VoAT?"

True story.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I think the deadline should be the deadline. It makes it more fun trying to write something at the last minute.
    I missed out this time because I didn't have my finger on the pulse, but I'd definitely always prefer a set in stone deadline...

So picka when can we expect to see those six amazing stories?

• Advertisement

There's been a bit of a gap between the deadline and putting the entries up.

Am I am the only one thinking that pickarooney has flown to Hollywood and is currently pitching our stories to the major studios as his own work?

/genius!

Finally home after a 48 hour delay, four cancellations, a change of airport, a change of destination, a 5 hour wait on the tarmac and a delayed train. If I ever go back to London, I know what'll be in my box.

A nice, soft pillow.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Our next story can be about the pitfalls of international travel. Youd win.

Finally home after a 48 hour delay, [coming home from Hollywood] four cancellations [after a studio said they'd buy my box story], a change of airport, a change of destination, a 5 hour wait on the tarmac and a delayed train. If I ever go back to LondonHollywood, I know what'll be in my box.

:D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I still don't know if I'm going to be in this competition.
    Pickarooney really is the master of suspense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Phantasos

I still don't know if I'm going to be in this competition.
    Pickarooney really is the master of suspense!

I heard he sold your story to the Hollywood Execs. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭dawvee

Phantasos wrote: »
    I heard he sold your story to the Hollywood Execs. :P

I read in Variety that Uwe Boll is slated to direct.

boxmovie.jpg

I want that as a teeshirt :)

I would watch that movie!

OK, the thread is finally up, stickied on top. Bad news for the latebies, I did not accept anything after the deadline for reasons of fairness. Feel free to get revenge by posting your stories in a separate thread and feeding off the thanks you generate.

Just as a fyi, the one about shrunken jenny seems to be posted incorrectly, its the same text twice.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Just saw the OP for the voting thread. The following stood out:

Unfortunately this did not mean that entries submitted after the deadline without a really really good excuse were accepted. I received two entries in the last five minutes and it would be unfair on those who rushed theirs for the deadline to allow late entries.

I spent all day every day in the build-up to the deadline studying for my M.A. exams, which began last Saturday. Perhaps I should have made my excuses known last Tuesday evening, and it makes no difference at all now, but I did have a genuine reason for not getting my story done on time.

Best of luck to the 7 who are involved in this competition.

Do CapNeg, angell and MrE have completed stories. If so we could always have a 4-way run-off or in a neat twist add the stories to the thread a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,467 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I took the foot off the gas last week when you put the foot down about latecomers. I haven't finished it (I'm at about 750 words), but could work on it tonight.

• Advertisement

Voted!

Great diversity of stories. Really good fun to read them all. Well done everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

Didn't enter this time either, I wrote 1200 words before realised I had no ending and no hope of an ending! Then I had a great idea when it was too late...:rolleyes:

I have another idea, though- how about another VOAT with a simple theme of a Christmas story- to be in by Christmas eve, then we have some Christmas stories to read over the holidays?

And BTW, no vested interest- I don't have a dusty christmas story hidden in a drawer somewhere that I'm longing to pull out, but I was just reading a book of Irish christmas short stories and they were so evocative that I thought it might be a good idea.

Oh great idea, Wantobe!

Theme: "A Christmas Story"
    Length: 1500 words
    Due: Midnight, 24th December 2010 (i.e. as soon as its Christmas, you're too late!)

Only problem with that is who is gonna post em up on Christmas day? :) Ill be sozzled on cooking sherry.

Hrm good point :/

Maybe move it back a day or two then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Wantobe

I too plan to be mildly sozzled on Christmas eve :p, so not the greatest idea. Maybe we could just have a thread for christmas stories, upload them whenever you want, ideally by Christmas eve, no voting, just some feedback on each others stories and that way Pickarooney will be able to join in too?

It will be like our Christmas gift to pickarooney then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Do CapNeg, angell and MrE have completed stories. If so we could always have a 4-way run-off or in a neat twist add the stories to the thread a few days later.

Eh i haven't actually seeing as you wouldn't let me in post deadline *sob*
    Should i write one??? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'd be willing to offer my services as Pickarooney / Aoibheann's stand in for the Christmas story, as long as nobody would mind me throwing my hat into the ring too... I may even be able to get the thread posted before going to bed on Christmas Eve (usually between 4 and 5am... depends on how long the ham takes to cook).

Only if everyone's ok with that and such.

• Advertisement

You can't contribute a story if you are organising the competition. If you do, then there'll be no way of telling if you read other people's story before writing your own.

Not that I'm suggesting you'd do that at all, but the separation of organisation and participation is important to maintain.

Advertisement