Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 6 (The Box)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Completely forgot about this, so an extension until friday would be fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭dawvee

Just submitted mine, but I had to break it up into two since it was over the 8000-whatever character limit. Still over the word count, but you won't begrudge me 26 words, will you? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 55,466 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its only fair that anyone who has submitted theirs (possibly rushed and unedited) can have a few days to resubmit too if they want?

Up to Pickarooney though... I'll stand by his decision. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Phantasos

I'm thankful I submitted mine before the possibility of further procrastination was discussed!

Not going to get this finished tonight. :(
    If the deadline is set in stone, then so be it.
    I'll post it separately when its done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

No extensions.

Its 22:28. I've just finished a bottle of whiskey, and my wordcount is zero.

Time to get writing.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

It would set a dodgy precedent to shift the deadline. Makes creating a cut off pretty pointless in the first place. Of course thats easy for me to say, Im not currently sweating in front of a keyboard. Think of it as flash fiction. :)

1059 words down, 441 to go!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I can't see myself getting another 782 decent words in the next hour. We'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Antilles wrote: »
    No extensions.

Its 22:28. I've just finished a bottle of whiskey, and my wordcount is zero.

Time to get writing.

Jealous!

Yes, still procrastinating. Close to the 1,000 mark. No editing this month either - shocker! Am going to try to finish anyway, otherwise unadulterated, unedited rubbish it is. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

This was a tough one. I kept putting it off thinking that it wouldn't take long to do. Bad idea. Just as I sent it I got a Server error so hopefully it got through after all that.

Its 23:28. I've written 1,463 words and the story is done. Half an hour editing now, and two minutes for submission :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Show off! :)

Submitted, but I was too tired to read it. Apologies in advance, it'll probably be glaringly obvious which is mine.

Bizzare, how we get so much notice and yet so few of us use it! I thought I was the only one with time management issues! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm rejecting anything submitted in the first 6 days. I'm on GMT here; it's like real live VOAT instead of slightly in the future VOAT.

Submitted, though I too had to break it into two parts.

Pickarooney - rejecting the first six days why?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll PM mine at ten o'clock tomorrow morning.

If it's accepted for VOAT, then I'll be most gracious.

If it's not? I'll still be happy. It's been years since I even tried to write a short story, and I like what I've put into this one so far. :)

Sure... if you're in Honolulu

Is it just me or is pickarooney being very cryptic? Cos I dont get it.

It's still Tuesday in Honolulu until 10:00 a.m. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Phantasos

I have no idea what's going on in this thread since yesterday afternoon! Reading the stories in a few days' time should be interesting! :P

• Advertisement

"Tuesday in Honolulu" is the name of my Israel Kamakawiwoʻole cover band.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Ok so i completely missed the deadline...can i have the friday extension please :D:D:D:D

:D

I'm stuck in the snow so might not be able to put these up tomorrow. Then again I might get them up today if I get time and net access. What about Insect Overlord though, eh? One the one hand, the more entries the better but on the other it's a litte unfair on others and kind of against the unofficial last-minute scribble ethos.

I dont want to have good stories excluded either, but if you allow it now, people may not take the deadline seriously in future cos they know if circumstances allow, youll shift it.

Oryx wrote: »
    I dont want to have good stories excluded either, but if you allow it now, people may not take the deadline seriously in future cos they know if circumstances allow, youll shift it.

I agree with Oryx, deadlines have to stand or they are worthless.

Maybe post the others in a seperate thread after voting finishes?

Like at Cannes?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

I've had a crappy two weeks in pain after getting my tooth out so couldn't concentrate at all,finally off antibiotics & painkillers so i could muster up something...should i get a sick note? ;)

Ah no really it's fine,i know you're all just afraid as i won before :p

I'll be happy enough to post my story in a separate thread after voting is over.

I'll be happy enough to post my story in a separate thread after voting is over.

Me too.....

• Advertisement

How many entries did you get, pickarooney?

Angell I used to use that excuse at school. It never worked :)

Advertisement