Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

australian police

Options
  • 18-11-2010 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

anyone hear that the Australian Police are recruiting serving Gardai again in the near future?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Corcioch

Tac wrote: »
    anyone hear that the Australian Police are recruiting serving Gardai again in the near future?

Yes they are, 60 Officers I heard from a mate, an ex Garda out there a few years now . . . . its the Western Australia Police Force that are hiring, like last time.

Interviews etc are all going to be in London I believe.

E Mail them sure??? . . . . . .I heard its going to be a rapidly moving process so get onto them quick imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Is Australian Citizenship not a pre-requisite to join an Aussie force ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No. However most do require permanent residence. If WAPOL are recruiting they are possibly sponsoring as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Tac

could be the way to go after next month!!! i was on the WAPOL site and it says in the "international entry pathway" that they are not recruiting international police officers at the moment, and not to email them...sure ill hang out and see..

thanks lads

could be the way to go after next month!!! i was on the WAPOL site and it says in the "international entry pathway" that they are not recruiting international police officers at the moment, and not to email them...sure ill hang out and see..

thanks lads

ill get back onto my mate in wapol and ask, he posted in fb only 3 or 4 days ago that they were hiring.

• Advertisement

was he originally in Store St?????

I have asked over on the britishexpats site , if I get a favourable response I will let you know.

was he originally in Store St?????

No, never in DMR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Dougal Mcguire

wonder what the pay would be like for someone joining them compared to pay in Ireland.
    If a garda left and joined the australian police would they have to start the training all over again and start on rubbish pay and work their way up the ladder again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

not sure if this is any help to ye but i copied this from the wapol site under the FAQ section, i'm assuming transitional applicants would be gardaí transferring into their service.

Transitional applicants can however be paid up to that of a 5th Year Constable, pending experience and qualifications.

under Q.4

http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/faq/

if your young go for it, i only wish their fire service would do the same, good luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Fr Dougal Mcguire

heres the pay scales as taken from the website

http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/why/salary.php

Not bad pay if people started on the 5 year constable pay.
    I hear the price of living in oz is very expensive though.

Corcioch wrote: »
    No, never in DMR

ah right. a lad i work with used to work in store st, and another lad up there is out with WAPOL the last 5 years or so, loves it. he put it on facebook too, thats how i heard about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

Any update in relation to this?

heres the pay scales as taken from the website

http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/why/salary.php

Not bad pay if people started on the 5 year constable pay.
    I hear the price of living in oz is very expensive though.

The cost of living is considerably less than Ireland ( not that thats difficult )

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Operator

wonder what the pay would be like for someone joining them compared to pay in Ireland.
    If a garda left and joined the australian police would they have to start the training all over again and start on rubbish pay and work their way up the ladder again?

I hope this may help, I applied the last time for WAPOL and got the job but didn't go for personal reasons. To the best of my recolection the deal went something like this;

1. Service was counted from the day you started training in Templemore, not the date of attestation. Effectively adding 18mth service to your record and increasing your pay grade accordingly. (This also had a bearing on the rank you would get after 12 mths probation, ie 1st Constable, Constable etc.

2. You were attested the first day you entered the college, issued with your disco pass, uniform and rank markings. You do not enter with the recruits but complete a 9 week transition module. This training includes standard car course, firearms course, survival course and the usual legal and policing.

3. The college was not "Living In", you had to make your own way each day, however when you agree to take the contact an officer (or possibly a civilian contracter) organised accomodation for you before your arrival.

Hope it helps.

Operator wrote: »
    I hope this may help, I applied the last time for WAPOL and got the job but didn't go for personal reasons. To the best of my recolection the deal went something like this;

1. Service was counted from the day you started training in Templemore, not the date of attestation. Effectively adding 18mth service to your record and increasing your pay grade accordingly. (This also had a bearing on the rank you would get after 12 mths probation, ie 1st Constable, Constable etc.

2. You were attested the first day you entered the college, issued with your disco pass, uniform and rank markings. You do not enter with the recruits but complete a 9 week transition module. This training includes standard car course, firearms course, survival course and the usual legal and policing.

3. The college was not "Living In", you had to make your own way each day, however when you agree to take the contact an officer (or possibly a civilian contracter) organised accomodation for you before your arrival.

Hope it helps.

Good Info.

Any regrets not going??

Well circumstances have changed somewhat since then, But id be lying if I said I had no regrets.

I did hear mixed reports second hand from people who did go. However some of these came from people who applied and didnt get it so I was a little sceptical of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 340 ✭✭ivabiggon

i'm not a gaurd and from an outsider looking in it sound to be an all round better way of life. +++

the benefits are very good with WAPOL, however, i emailed them directly and this is the reponce i got....

Thank you for the email.

WA Police are not taking international applications at this time.

Details regarding any future recruiting campaign will be advertised on the WA Police recruiting website www.stepforward.wa.gov.au as they become known.

If you have further questions please contact me by return email or at the number below.

Regards

Dympna Njirich
    Senior Constable 8008
    Police Recruiting Branch

08 93019607

Is Western Australia the only state that recruits overseas ? What about Queensland , New South Wales , etc ?

• Advertisement

The word I have from the britsh expats site is WAPol are recruiting but the International pathway is closed.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671309&page=2

However anyone who does have residency in Oz now is a good time to try for some of the state police forces.

As far as I know the New South Wales Police used to accept lateral entry as well once upon a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

Vic police accept international recruits, or so I've heard. NSW, AFP, NT, QLD all require you to be a citizen/permanent resident.

foinse wrote: »
    Vic police accept international recruits, or so I've heard. NSW, AFP, NT, QLD all require you to be a citizen/permanent resident.

Vicpol are in the middle of a huge recruitment drive.

However they dont sponsor
    Applicants from overseas policing jurisdictions
    Victoria Police recruits all year round with all testing being done in Australia. Please note that applicants for appointment to Victoria Police must be an Australian Citizen or have been granted permanent residency in Australia prior to lodging an application. Victoria Police does not sponsor visa applications.

http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=26986

• Registered Users Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭source

My bad, got bad info so.

...well. i guess they're not so. feckn pity!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Chiparus

delancey42 wrote: »
    Is Western Australia the only state that recruits overseas ? What about Queensland , New South Wales , etc ?

South Australia also does.

http://www.achievemore.com.au/officer/overseas-applicants.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

ivabiggon wrote: »
    not sure if this is any help to ye but i copied this from the wapol site under the FAQ section, i'm assuming transitional applicants would be gardaí transferring into their service.

Transitional applicants can however be paid up to that of a 5th Year Constable, pending experience and qualifications.

under Q.4

http://www.stepforward.wa.gov.au/faq/

if your young go for it, i only wish their fire service would do the same, good luck with it.
    Constable :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭gilly0512

Operator wrote: »

Hope it helps.

Reading the above information does make you wonder why cannot Police Officers from say the UK not transfer into the Gardai, with their previous service taken into account. It beggars belief that Gardai can transfer to UK or Australian Police forces where their previous service is taken into account, yet should a UK or Australian Police Officer decide to apply for the Gardai, its down to Templemore for two years with all of the new recruits, and your previous experience doesn't matter a damn

gilly2308 wrote: »
    Reading the above information does make you wonder why cannot Police Officers from say the UK not transfer into the Gardai, with their previous service taken into account. It beggars belief that Gardai can transfer to UK or Australian Police forces where their previous service is taken into account, yet should a UK or Australian Police Officer decide to apply for the Gardai, its down to Templemore for two years with all of the new recruits, and your previous experience doesn't matter a damn

I couldn't agree more. In fact i know of an instance where a former metropolitan police officer had to do exactly that. I don't know why this policy is enforced, imo a police officer with previous experiance would be shocked by standards within AGS. I don't mean to be critical of members in particular but rather management and their misplaced nostalgia, reluctance to embrace technology, and determination to keep the force(or should I say SERVICE) in the dark ages.

rant over:D

• Advertisement

yea, totally agree Operator. a survey done a few years ago stated that AGS was 12 - 15 years behind the PSNI, our closest neighbours... management has a lot to answer for, (my opinion) and not just in AGS, but the country as a whole....but thats for another day.

Advertisement