Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night owl or insomniac?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭TimTim

Somewhat of a night owl but since I don't have to be anywhere in the morning I find myself going to bed much later then usual

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

smck99 wrote: »
    Another interesting topic...
    Would you wake up early, no matter how much sleep you've had... OR ... would you sleep for days if you weren't woken by an alarm/ didn't have to get up?

Which are you? Which would you rather???

If I didn't have to get up, like at the weekends, then I would easily sleep for 8-10 hours. Only problem with that is, because it's so late when I get to sleep, and I have so much energy at night, it would mean that I would sleep all through the day every day, and I wouldn't have a normal life.

I don't mind getting up at 3pm on a saturday if I've been out drinking the night before, but I wouldn't like to be sleeping like that everyday.

I wish I could just get tired early, and be asleep by 12:30am when I have to be in college, and just wake up at 8am feeling refreshed and full of energy for the day.

I never have energy in the mornings though, even if once in a blue moon I manage to get a good nights sleep, at 8am I am always tired.
    I get most of my energy from 9pm onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Another interesting topic...
    Would you wake up early, no matter how much sleep you've had... OR ... would you sleep for days if you weren't woken by an alarm/ didn't have to get up?

Which are you? Which would you rather???

I'd be up early, I'd rather be up and doing nothing than asleep. even on days off I get up at 8am and head into town if i need anthing, I dont like being in shops during lunch/peak times, like when I do my christmas shopping, I go in at 8.30 on like a Tuesday morning, do it all in less than 2 hrs, come home and veg out for the day, I dont get this running around city centres at 5pm malarkey at all. Same with food shopping, I go to a 24 dunnes or tesco at like 11pm, not at 7 when everyone else is there, quiet shops ftw.

My body clock is fairly good for waking me up when I need to, I'm a terror for sleep gambling though, hitting "alarm off" instead of snooze then putting my head back down on the pillow, I may doze off for like 20 seconds then you get that rush of panic as it feels like its been hours. I sleep gambled once and lost spectacularly, was meant to be in work at 9, woke at 8, switched alarm off, fell back to sleep, woke again at.....1.20 pm. I strolled into work at 2pm and my manager thought I'd been there the whole day and was just coming back from lunch (which was meant to be at 1.30) and I finished at my supposed time of 4.30 nothing was ever said and nobody noticed, epic win :D

Also, I was out ill from work for months, now you wanna talk about a way to mess your sleeping patterns up, and I'm sure anyone who's currently out of work can attest to this, not having a job to get up for is an easy way to fall into crazy sleeping patterns.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

UPDATE: 2:00AM - 2,400 online!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

night worker :(

• Advertisement

I like being awake when not many people are, either really late at night or really early in the morning, theres a weird magic in the air, last time I worked on Christmas Day, I was in at 8, woke up at 6.30 and at the time I lived in a city centre apartment, there literally wasnt a sound to be heard out on the street at that hour as I walked over to get my car, it was so eerie, like 28 Days Later or something, I drove through the city and I could've started driving on the footpath and doing donuts if I wanted to, there wasnt a single person to be seen on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Good luck! I'm trying to tire myself out so I won't be lying awake for hours
    Can you go in to detail about your insomnia.
    I find it hard to sleep so I have 2 tablets I take that make me tired (more dizzy than tired).
    2 nights ago i got 3-4 hours sleep. Tired druing the day and then come 0000 when I try to sleep again I just lye there for hours bored - so i get up and try again and eventually I can sleep. Endless cycle.
    krudler wrote: »
    I like being awake when not many people are, either really late at night or really early in the morning, theres a weird magic in the air
    I know this magic too. It's very special.

Can you go in to detail about your insomnia.
    I find it hard to sleep so I have 2 tablets I take that make me tired (more dizzy than tired).
    2 nights ago i got 3-4 hours sleep. Tired druing the day and then come 0000 when I try to sleep again I just lye there for hours bored - so i get up and try again and eventually I can sleep. Endless cycle.

Sex is a great cure for insomnia, that happy, content, dozy feeling you get afterwards, and if you dont have anyone to do it with... well, use your imagination..

hahahaha, krudler has it sussed! epic win!
    I'd love to have that much self control! Every night I set my alarm. I'm not sure if I don't hear it go off or if I just hit off in a momentary sleepwalk fashion.
    I certainly can't remember anything so placing the alarm well out of reach seems to help the odd time!

That could be interpreted in two ways haha. Slight time delay there as I sort of wrote the reply while making a cheese sambo... i was referring to krudler's first post above.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Ive always stayed up late when i was young and have continued that tradition, late night radio and repeats of the daytime shows were my thing.

Ive gone the step further and now work as night porter in a hotel, its grand bit lonely going for a pint at 8am though....

2197 online

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

krudler wrote: »
    Sex is a great cure for insomnia, that happy, content, dozy feeling you get afterwards, and if you dont have anyone to do it with... well, use your imagination..

Thanks Kudler, I have those sensations now but they won't help.

I find that what i've begun to do is work my day around my bad sleeping habits!
    For example, if I'm in work for 3PM, I say to myself "I'll get up at 1PM, meaning I'll get my 8 hours if I'm asleep by 5AM"
    Not Good...

UPDATE: 2:25 - 2,082 Users Online

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

UPDATE: 2:00AM - 2,400 online!

A chunk of them two thousand would be abroad though.
    It doesn't mean there's two thousand people in Ireland still awake and on boards :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Definitely a night owl. My undergraduate thesis was written for the most part between 2-7am. Currently finishing Masters projects and thank feck the college allows 24 hour access!

Similar to the OP I think it comes from having worked in bars for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭James Bong 79

used to work with this (special) guy who claimed to be an amnesiac, i was new in the job so i didnt question it..but he kept saying to me through my first weeks of the the job that he gets a wicked dose of amnesia some nights!

so not really knowing the guy that well at the time, i started to wonder, how the hell does he find where he works in the morning????:eek:

eventually i asked "whats it like suffering from that??"

to which he replied " terrible, i cant sleep a wink at night!!! " :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

I'm a amphetamine addict, btw only six sleeps til christmas :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

I'm a night owl, always have been. So is my mother and sister. You could walk into our house at 4am and find everyone up watching tv, on the net or whatever. My father is the opposite, wakes up between 7-8am.
    Very annoying when I'm trying to sleep and he's downstairs making a racket!

I think I should move to the States, that's the time zone I seem to be living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭MardiB

We should do a last man, *ahem* or woman, standing!

I'm still awake, I won, I won.........

..... It was a tenner a head wasn't it ;)

MardiB wrote: »
    I'm still awake, I won, I won.........

..... It was a tenner a head wasn't it ;)

That tenner is mine!! :D

/runs to get Lucozade

Cocolola wrote: »
    That tenner is mine!! :D

/runs to get Lucozade

Game on Sucker...;)

• Advertisement

Kicked your ass:D

'fraid not!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Pretty_Pistol

I'm an Night Owl. I love the time from dusk until dawn. I guess that's why I love Winter time because there's less daylight.

Cocolola wrote: »
    'fraid not!

Not out of the game yet;)

Still Standing too!

But going to bed now VERY soon. :)

I've been up 20 hours now and driven 250km I have no idea why I'm still awake.

I'll hang on till after you drop of so,,,, night night

Here one of ye guys can claim the "last person standing" prize!:D

I'm off now, have to be up in about 2 hours again. :eek:

G'nite. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

After Hours mods never sleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Was a night owl but now I'm the other side of the world :)

Advertisement