Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night owl or insomniac?!

Options
  • 18-11-2010 2:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭

Due to the nature of my work, bartending a very nice but not to be mentioned hotel resident's bar, I would usually finish work about 12am or so on an average weekday. Weekends are a very different story as we cater for a lot of large weddings, parties etc. when I would usually finish between 4 and 6 AM!

When I return home, I usually like to unwind for an hour or three (as I get up late... it's a vicious cycle!) by looking at TV, going on the interweb etc.
    I would always note the surprising amount of activity on boards, i.e. almost 3500 people as I post this!

So I'm guessing that I'm not alone in my situation, or is insomnia setting in?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Sleep is for the weak and elderly - also, 1am is prime posting time in AH so i cant miss out on all the witty posts :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

Night owl

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't get tired at night, only in the morning when I have to get up

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

If I'm asleep before midnight its a waste of the night, 2am is my usual sleep time even if I have work at 9, I function better on 5-6 hours sleep a night instead of 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

Cool people stay up late :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I'm an insomniac.

Its not pleasant :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I've had insomnia the last couple of months. I've tried all my usual tricks to get to sleep but nothings working. It's starting to do my head in at this stage :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I'm a total night-owl (even with a 7am start I could end up staying awake til 1 or 2) and get by on not much sleep (a lie-in for me is a seven-hour sleep) but I'm not an insomniac. Despite the fact I don't need much sleep, I still very much need the amount that I get. I really feel for insomniacs - no sleep at all must be hellish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

I'm an insomniac.

Its not pleasant :(

awwww sorry to hear that :(

I get it from time to time, hopefully it will pass soon. Stupid crazy sleep patterns

• Advertisement

krudler wrote: »
    If I'm asleep before midnight its a waste of the night, 2am is my usual sleep time even if I have work at 9, I function better on 5-6 hours sleep a night instead of 8
    It's mad isn't it? On the rare occasion that I have a long sleep - e.g. eight or nine hours, I'm always absolutely shattered. Apparently over-sleeping over-works your brain or something, leading to tiredness.
    Sleeping tablets must flatten people. I once took an anti-histamine which obviously had sleeping tablet properties and I slept for 12 hours and was so tired when I woke up that I went back to sleep for another three/four hours. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Saila wrote: »
    Night owl

I'm an auld knight. :D

Any maidens to be slain or dragons to be rescued? I just hate these dark windy knights, it's pure torture being around them. ["The smells, the smells".] Shut up Quasimodo, you're giving me the hump.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Insomnia is when someone can't sleep. A night owl is someone who stays up late and sleeps during the day. This issue is much less complicated than you seem to think.

If you are not having chronic difficulties sleeping then you are not insomniac.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Insomniac, and I just ran out of book.:mad:

Gonna try and get some sleep now tho. Wish me luck!

Sardonicat wrote: »

Good luck! I'm trying to tire myself out so I won't be lying awake for hours

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

Sardonicat wrote: »

feel your pain. good luck.
    Happy to report Im now just a night owl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

bit of a bit of b, think my sleep pattern is so screwed up at this stage I dont know which I am:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

Used to have a lot of trouble sleeping. Now I just have a messy sleep pattern. I do love my sleep, but I definitely like to be up late so often find myself still awake at 2, 3 or 4am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

Saila wrote: »
    Night owl

It's the place to be seen.

This disco is cool as a dream

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am about to turn off my laptop and have a full and easy night's sleep, fyi.

• Advertisement

orourkeda wrote: »
    It's the place to be seen.

This disco is cool as a dream
    Heh heh... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭smck99

UPDATE: 1:30AM - 2800 online!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

I have to be in college for 9am most days, yet I am regularly here on boards, surfing the web, watching telly, doing crosswords, or reading books, anywhere between 4 and 6:30 am.
    When I was working I had to be up at 6am, and would still be awake at 4am.
    It started when I was very young, I wouldn't get to sleep until between 1:30 am and 3am, and it has just gotten worse.

I think it's my own fault, because I have just let myself get into this rubbish routine, that even work or college doesn't seem to break it.
    I'm not sure what started it though, because as a child I slept normally.

For some reason though I sleep better when I'm not in my own house. If I'm staying at my boyfriends house I'll sleep like a baby all night long.
    The same as if I'm on holiday in a different place, I'll get a normal person's amount of sleep. :confused:

Weekends I get to bed even later than during the week, but it doesn't bother me then, because at least with no college I can just sleep for 10 hours!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Jesus, 800 people logged off in the last 30 minutes......fecking lightweights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Leelaa22

smck99 wrote: »
    UPDATE: 1:30AM - 2800 online!

Make that 2799

Night all my bed is calling me
    What you guys dont talk to your furniture?:eek:

We should do a last man, *ahem* or woman, standing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Instead of counting sheep, try counting the muslims..........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Dudess wrote: »
    It's mad isn't it? On the rare occasion that I have a long sleep - e.g. eight or nine hours, I'm always absolutely shattered. Apparently over-sleeping over-works your brain or something, leading to tiredness.
    Sleeping tablets must flatten people. I once took an anti-histamine which obviously had sleeping tablet properties and I slept for 12 hours and was so tired when I woke up that I went back to sleep for another three/four hours. :pac:

Definitely, I was jetlagged when I got home from the States and I slept from 1am until 4pm that day, I was zombified for about two days after it, as long as I get one day a week where I can have some bit of a lie in I'm fine, hell even on the mornings where I want to sleep in like after a night out I wake up at 8am on the button, and once I'm awake I find it really hard to fall back to sleep again.

krudler wrote: »
    hell even on the mornings where I want to sleep in like after a night out I wake up at 8am on the button, and once I'm awake I find it really hard to fall back to sleep again.

Another interesting topic...
    Would you wake up early, no matter how much sleep you've had... OR ... would you sleep for days if you weren't woken by an alarm/ didn't have to get up?

Which are you? Which would you rather???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

im a night owl, i think its more to do with the fact i try and make my day as long as possible after work, life is for living not working!:D

Advertisement