Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taylor Swift - Enemy of Feminism?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

KylieWyley wrote: »
    you've a lot more to worry about with the likes of Snoop Dog and 50 cent objectifying women in all their lyrics...

50 cents twitter page is filled with amazing comments that never cease to amaze me. (though, i must confess, he can be quite funny sometimes!)

http://twitter.com/#!/50CENT

I dunno what it is about 50-cent, he always struck me as trying far too hard to appear straight. And then there's the way he's constantly shirtless...
    revolutionary (Lady Gaga)
    You're kidding me? Mediocre discopop plus weird-for-the-sake-of-weird = revolutionary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

amacachi wrote: »
    I just don't see what "feminism" has to do with it, different women are different, much as different humans are different. Wait, maybe women are actually people and vary a lot in personality and what they like!

The reason this is a feminist "issue" is that unfortunately there are still some so-called "feminists" out there who believe that in order to be a feminist you must be their kind of feminist rather than just being the woman you want to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Giselle wrote: »
    So she's young, pretty, has made a fortune on the back of her self-penned music, doesn't wear a thong on stage or sing about overtly sexual themes and has no 'issues' to sing about, so sticks to the bland nice stuff that has a huge market. She's incredibly sucessful and in essence, self made.

How does this make her an enemy of femimism? She might be conservative but surely she's a better role model for young teen girls than meat-dress Gaga?

I predict she'll reinvent herself when the public start losing interest, and start getting a lot more risque. She can only be an ingenue for so long.

Ask Britney.

Its very difficult to say whether she is a poster girl for feminism or the anti christ of feminism.

There is a huge strain of puritanism in Feminism which wants to kill off the sex prowess, seductress, allure of women. Then there are some kinds of feminism such as bourgeois feminism which approves or encourages to use everything you have, including your sexuality to rise through the ranks, and then there are the Tori Amos, Alannis Morrisette, and Lady Gaga [yes I put her in there with them] to promote how cool it is to be a **** up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LittleBook wrote: »
    The reason this is a feminist "issue" is that unfortunately there are still some so-called "feminists" out there who believe that in order to be a feminist you must be their kind of feminist rather than just being the woman you want to be.

That was basically my point, and that when it's a woman being very "sexy" then there's another group who will behave the same towards her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

LittleBook wrote: »

In defence here, the only person who called Taylor Swift an 'enemy of feminism' on this thread was Brian Boyd, the Irish Times Journalist, who wrote the original article.
    This is hardly a shock since the media have been anti-feminism for years and will do anything to warp and degrade its message and meaning.
    Their campaign against feminism is obviously working considering the vitriol aimed towards it on here.

I must admit to being a huge fan of country music :o , and I think Taylor Swifts music is pretty cool. I think she's also a pretty decent role model for young women. I respect any 20 year old who can write their own music and doesn't reduce herself to totty for the boys to sell their music.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭LittleBook

panda100 wrote: »
    In defence here, the only person who called Taylor Swift an 'enemy of feminism' on this thread was Brian Boyd, the Irish Times Journalist, who wrote the original article.
    This is hardly a shock since the media have been anti-feminism for years and will do anything to warp and degrade its message and meaning.
    Their campaign against feminism is obviously working considering the vitriol aimed towards it on here.

No, he's quoting a female blogger who called Taylor Swift an enemy of feminism. In fact, I think he (Brian Boyd) is actually defending Swift from the accusation (for want of a better word).

Advertisement