Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

jaxxx wrote: »
    Two in fact, though not at the same time. One was on the Dock Road where the Dennehy's motors Renault is now. That closed. Then one popped up in Ballysimon where B&Q and Halfords are. Neither lasted very long.

And with World Of Wonder being gone from next to Travelodge, it'll be good to have competition for Smiths who have had a fair monopoly in Limerick for a long time I think it has to be said.

They're probably aiming to open before Christmas. I wonder how good their video game section is? I'd assume thats whats keeping Smiths going.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

Has Starbucks opened in the station yet?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cherrycoke wrote: »
    Has Starbucks opened in the station yet?
    bennyl10 wrote: »
    Feel like all I do is lost about Starbucks now, but anyway, based on today, station on course to open for serond week in September

Thomas st, first week October

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Next week according to todays Leader

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Yup sorry about lack of updates,

Opening Friday in station.
    11am is plan :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

What are the opening hours likely to be, do you know?

What are the opening hours likely to be, do you know?

6am to 10pm,

Opening and closing when station does :)

At least for first while anyway, unsure if it'll change on Sundays or not..

First opening Friday will be 11 :)

If it changes I'll post here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

6am starts! :eek: Good luck! :eek:

6am starts! :eek: Good luck! :eek:

Worse, Half 5 starts :(

Ah if we get customers in it'll be fine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

Any chance of it opening early for those of us who use the early train :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

You can get the same quality coffee on board the train. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Berty wrote: »
    You can get the same quality coffee on board the train. :pac:

:pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

....No

There's a train before 6?!
    We just open when station opens, assumed that's first train :O

bennyl10 wrote: »
    There's a train before 6?!
    We just open when station opens, assumed that's first train :O

Monday to Saturday first train to Dublin is 05:30, station is open at this time just not the ticket office.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Berty wrote:
    You can get the same quality coffee on board the train.

Hilarious :-P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

surprised at peoples opinions about starbucks. fair enough it's better than the muck you'd have gotten in the station previously. but it's not like their coffee is anything special, in fact it's not that great at all, much nicer options around town.

lived in the states where it was tougher to avoid it given the number of it, will use starbucks when nothing better available, but the way people are so excited you'd swear there were no good coffee options in town already. place is full of coffee shops

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

mossym wrote: »
    surprised at peoples opinions about starbucks. fair enough it's better than the muck you'd have gotten in the station previously. but it's not like their coffee is anything special, in fact it's not that great at all, much nicer options around town.

lived in the states where it was tougher to avoid it given the number of it, will use starbucks when nothing better available, but the way people are so excited you'd swear there were no good coffee options in town already. place is full of coffee shops

I heard there was a queue outside when Costa opened in town, that is a sad indictment of where we're at. Starbucks does run of the mill coffee but will damage all the smaller places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Haven't really seen too many opinions about the coffee being amazing just lots of people glad to see another big franchise opening in the city and bringing jobs.

I've actually seen more people complain about Starbucks and the coffee and give it plaudits.

Personally I think it's grand, not ****e but nothing special. Will probably buy some coffee there over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,666 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Jofspring wrote: »
    Haven't really seen too many opinions about the coffee being amazing just lots of people glad to see another big franchise opening in the city and bringing jobs.

I've actually seen more people complain about Starbucks and the coffee and give it plaudits.

Personally I think it's grand, not ****e but nothing special. Will probably buy some coffee there over time.

Exactly....I think it's more of a positive economic indicator/status symbol for the city more than anything else tbh.

I'm not too bothered about the actual coffee they serve but would welcome their arrival in the city nonetheless.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ah okay. maybe i'm misreading the excitement about more jobs as people not being able to wait to have a steaming hot cup of starbucks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Jofspring wrote: »

To what extent are they bringing jobs or displacing existing jobs though?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Exactly....I think it's more of a positive economic indicator/status symbol for the city more than anything else tbh.

I'm not too bothered about the actual coffee they serve but would welcome their arrival in the city nonetheless.

Average coffee. Expensive. And the way they've saturated other cities is horrible imo. In the US and Canada everywhere you look there's one. Sucks the soul out of the city when this happens imo.

I won't be going to Starbucks anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Starbucks like others make more money on their non over the counter products like. Take Butlers in the Crescent. They've all those side products, gifts sets etc and Starbucks often say they make most of their profits from non coffee related products.

Here's just an example from Amazon UK

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_9?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=starbucks&sprefix=starbucks%2Caps%2C192

zulutango wrote: »
    To what extent are they bringing jobs or displacing existing jobs though?

Little bit biased in this debate admittedly, but as it stands, starbucks have given 12 previously unemployed people in this city new ones..

That 12 will rise to 25 by the end of next month, with presumably more to follow on!

It also is a world renowned brand opening in the city, a brand which there has been calls for to open here for years! A lot of the small independent coffee shops(like im a massive fan of arabica) will have loyal customers.. Like the appearance of a S.B doesn't magically mean these coffee shops are going away or will fail, blaming them for it is i think silly..

Like costa not gone of the same real treatment really.. And they are another big corporation who sell coffee..

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

.... and yet the Stormy Teacup closes on September 12th.

Swings and roundabouts I know, but I'd prefer a chain of indigenous coffee shops over a chain of Starbucks any day.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 210 ✭✭Tompatrick

Mr E wrote: »
    .... and yet the Stormy Teacup closes on September 12th.

Swings and roundabouts I know, but I'd prefer a chain of indigenous coffee shops over a chain of Starbucks any day.

Where was that based and how long was it open for?

Tompatrick wrote: »
    Where was that based and how long was it open for?

It is in foxes bow, I think they were open for about a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Mr E wrote:

But isn't more likely that Starbucks will stay open much longer than a random independent shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,483 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Random independent shop with GOOD COFFEE. :o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It is in foxes bow, I think they were open for about a year.

In fairness, it's up an alley off Foxes Bow. It's a terrible location for a coffee shop. There is no passing trade. Unless you knew about it you'd never even know it was there.

Advertisement