Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

In the mid 1980's most of the city looked like Patricks street does now, nice old empty buildings on the verge of falling down. Cruises Hotel was nice but a busy shopping street was much more useful to 1990's Limerick than an empty hotel. They could have waited for some white knight to spend loads of extra money on buildings that might have ended up being hated 20 years later anyway or do something with what they had at the time.

The old Todds building is gone because it burnt to the ground in 1959. Cannocks being rebuilt by Cannocks as a modern store in the 1960's was however a mistake, both for the company and for the city.

The building I most dislike in the city shows the planning departments attitude of the 1970's. The Peter Marks/Gamestop building on William Street, a small 2 story building with a wall 3 stories high built on top, keeping it in line with the old buildings.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Cityslicker1

In the mid 1980's most of the city looked like Patricks street does now, nice old empty buildings on the verge of falling down. Cruises Hotel was nice but a busy shopping street was much more useful to 1990's Limerick than an empty hotel. They could have waited for some white knight to spend loads of extra money on buildings that might have ended up being hated 20 years later anyway or do something with what they had at the time.

The old Todds building is gone because it burnt to the ground in 1959. Cannocks being rebuilt by Cannocks as a modern store in the 1960's was however a mistake, both for the company and for the city.

The building I most dislike in the city shows the planning departments attitude of the 1970's. The Peter Marks/Gamestop building on William Street, a small 2 story building with a wall 3 stories high built on top, keeping it in line with the old buildings.

Great article and photos on Todd's fire. The William street entrance to Todd's was a very grand imposing facade. It's such a pity most of the key ornate styles of architecture have been lost in the immediate retail core as it was a very impressive place when they were all intact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Vanquished

Cruises Hotel was nice but a busy shopping street was much more useful to 1990's Limerick than an empty hotel. They could have waited for some white knight to spend loads of extra money on buildings that might have ended up being hated 20 years later anyway or do something with what they had at the time.

But it wasn't an empty hotel! It was trading successfully until it was acquired by a development consortium and shut down in late 1990. Having been in business since 1791. That terrace was one of the first to be built as part of the 18th century expansion of Limerick initiated by Edmund Sexton Pery which resulted in the city centre we know today.

The whole concept of Cruises Street was a flawed one from the very outset. Its objective to deliver a quick buck for the developers with no regard for the resulting impact upon the history and architectural heritage of the city. Pokey, poorly designed retail units were shoehorned in to a site not suitable for such a purpose. It's essentially obsolete after only 22 years and indeed was for a good number of years prior to now. No longer fit for purpose and unable to attract major retailers.

The Councils objective back then should have been to rejuvenate O'Connell Street and William Street in order to attract high profile retailers to set up there. O'Connell Street is meant to be our premier street yet the quality of retailers on it is pretty dreadful even compared to the likes of Patrick Street in Cork or Shop Street Galway! Cruises Street has tried and failed and O'Connell Street is still crying out for rejuvenation. Another example of the shocking level of mismanagement that the city has been the victim of!

Judging by old photographs Cruise's hotel was looking pretty tired and unloved by 1990/91. Its facade had been altered and painted a pukey mustard colour and dodgy brown canopies had been installed! But these were only minor issues and the hotel could easily have been refurbished and modernised.

A more measured and targeted rejuvenation of Denmark Street, Todd's Bow and Chapel Lane should have been implemented also instead of the wholesale demolition that took place. The old granary buildings should have been preserved like for example in Foxes Bow. Suitable infill could have been provided on vacant sites. French Church Street and Careys Lane in Cork city centre were essentially derelict and forgotten in the early 90s. But today are bustling lanes lined with restaurants, cafes and random, quirky shops. Limerick could have achieved something similar on a smaller scale with a little imagination but sadly all too often that seems to be beyond the comprehension of those entrusted with the management and development of the city!

French Church Street, Cork

https://maps.google.com/maphp?hl=en&ll=51.89902,-8.473136&spn=0.00096,0.002642&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.899021,-8.473648&panoid=UB6ctbWJsFsAAAQfCQSORQ&cbp=12,341.08,,0,0

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Saw people going in and out of bourkes pub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

100 new jobs from J&J.

Goes to show what can be done when the political will is there.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/johnson-johnson-expands-irish-workforce-with-creation-of-100-jobs-30787584.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Costa is opening tomorrow, Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Any news on El Toro??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Rightwing wrote: »
    100 new jobs from J&J.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/johnson-johnson-expands-irish-workforce-with-creation-of-100-jobs-30787584.html

Yeah they will be doing SAP work there, it wouldnt be production. All good though! Comes right after the Ethicon jobs last year too.

"Reserved" sign plastered across the window of the unit at the corner of Thomas Street and Catherine Street this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Rightwing wrote: »
    100 new jobs from J&J.

anyone know what skills they would be looking for these roles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭black & white

zweton wrote: »
    anyone know what skills they would be looking for these roles?

Software developers mainly with SAP experience, might look at grads with 1.1 or 1.2 degrees with other software exp. or so I hear.

Costa coffee opened today on Cruise's Street and then promptly closed again. An electrical fault was to blame apparently. It had reopened when I passed after 5.

There was around a dozen in the queue at that time. Proving that people really are sheep when it comes to chain brands. I'll be continuing to support local businesses anyhow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Costa was just down around the corner before? Just moved? Yay, another coffee shop! Exactly what Limerick needs!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

There is no other Costa in the city centre (to the best of my knowledge).

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

seachto7 wrote: »
    Costa was just down around the corner before? Just moved? Yay, another coffee shop! Exactly what Limerick needs!

That was BBs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Vanquished wrote: »
    Costa coffee opened today on Cruise's Street and then promptly closed again. An electrical fault was to blame apparently. It had reopened when I passed after 5.

There was around a dozen in the queue at that time. Proving that people really are sheep when it comes to chain brands. I'll be continuing to support local businesses anyhow!

Food comes from Derry. Packaging/cups etc comes from uk.

Milk is the only local thing they use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I'll be continuing to support local businesses anyhow!

Same here. drink local coffee.

tippman1 wrote: »
    Same here. drink local coffee.

Not to be pedantic. None of the 'coffee' is local.

I know what you mean though. If you want to support local business, buy food.

Food comes from Derry. Packaging/cups etc comes from uk.

Milk is the only local thing they use.

What I meant was that I would be continuing to frequent the local, independent cafes as opposed to the ubiquitous monotony that is Costa!

Their offering is mediocre at best anyhow!

Vanquished wrote: »
    What I meant was that I would be continuing to frequent the local, independent cafes as opposed to the ubiquitous monotony that is Costa!

Their offering is mediocre at best anyhow!

Yeah I know what you meant, I was being a gowl.

But if you want to support a local cafe, buy a sandwich or scones from them. That extra few euro to them is far more important.

• Advertisement

But if you want to support a local cafe, buy a sandwich or scones from them. That extra few euro to them is far more important.

I'm well aware of that. I eat in town pretty much every lunchtime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 unicorns

El Toro is officially opening in Thursday Dec 4th I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭his_dudeness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭Iranoutofideas

Bourkes?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭RINO87

this is good news!! hopefully bourkes. Lovely bar, catherine st. is a bit dead without it!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Bourkes is a kip

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭RINO87

Mc Love wrote: »
    Bourkes is a kip

The basement is a kip. So much could be done with the ground floor level.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,834 ✭✭✭squonk

After the last mission abort I'm not getting my hopes up til I'm in there sipping a Foam And Fury but this is great news! I was back in Galway a few weeks ago and was talking to Shef in the Salt House and he had no news then so I'd all but written it off! There goes the bank balance now with the prospect of great nights out drinking their lovely, yet expensive beer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

What's a Shef ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,834 ✭✭✭squonk

What's a Shef ?

Probably not spelt correctly! He's a belgian guy who works in Salthouse and Oslo bars in Galway. Very sound guy!

Advertisement