Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭John_Mc

odddavey wrote: »
    New Drinks delivery service: https://icecolddirect.ie/
    Looks like it's run by JJ Bowles pub - anybody used it yet?

Yeah I used made an order on Christmas Eve and it was delivered in less than an hour. A great service to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Aldi have been granted permission on their second attempt for a new store in Roches Street.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/604518/major-retailer-gets-green-light-for-limerick-store.html

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

ongarboy wrote: »
    Aldi have been granted permission on their second attempt for a new store in Roches Street.

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/604518/major-retailer-gets-green-light-for-limerick-store.html

That's good news anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

phog wrote: »
    That's good news anyway

If it lifts that end of Roches street it's a good thing tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭djdunny

Looks like the people behind The Locke & Locke Burger are opening a fish & chip van called Molls. Menu does look pretty decent.

Given their success with Locke Burger, I am looking forward to trying these out.

Opening from 4pm tomorrow (Thursday) outside the Locke bar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Aldo have said that they'll be onsite pretty quickly after the got planning permission, but I'd expect an appeal to ABP first.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

djdunny wrote: »
    Looks like the people behind The Locke & Locke Burger are opening a fish & chip van called Molls. Menu does look pretty decent.

Given their success with Locke Burger, I am looking forward to trying these out.

Opening from 4pm tomorrow (Thursday) outside the Locke bar.

Are they the same people who own the Locke bar?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭djdunny

Are they same people who own the Locke bar?

I believe so. Same crowd run Katie Daly’s too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

ongarboy wrote: »

absolutely ridiculous decision given there is a multistorey car park right across the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mc Love wrote: »
    absolutely ridiculous decision given there is a multistorey car park right across the road

They'll have to charge a small amount for parking or get free parking if you spend over €30 for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,950 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

What has a car park got to do with Aldi ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

breezy1985 wrote: »
    What has a car park got to do with Aldi ?

They are building a car park as part of the plans, so the decision to grant them planning is a bit much when there is a car park across the road from it. Literally a stones throw

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If I'm going to Aldi and being economical with my spending, there's no f*cking way I'm paying the €2.40 an hour that crowd across the road charge for parking.

They are building a car park as part of the plans, so the decision to grant them planning is a bit much when there is a car park across the road from it. Literally a stones throw

75 spaces in a city that is having a constant whinge about a lack of parking. And who is to say that a rejuvenated Roches/Parnell St. wont be good for the existing car park.

Henry St. has 2 car parks right next to each other and its not a problem down there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

What do you propose ?
    Spend 100k on a pedestrian crossing, and have Aldi Customers pushing Trolleys across Roche's St, bringing them up the Lift in the Car Park, banging them off a load of Cars on the way to their car, then doing all that in reverse to return the Trolley ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Half the spaces are for Eir, who are actually losing parking capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Half the spaces are for Eir, who are actually losing parking capacity.

I say this is one of the reasons they looked for the carpark. This was part of the eir site and was used for parking. Sir have/had a call center in there. I think its the main Eir exchange in the city.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

Don’t see your issue. No doubt the car park will be free for Aldi customers. Your not going to pay €2.40 across the road. The hassle of carting your groceries across the road as well - wouldn’t be worth it. I think the car park is essential. If it wasn’t there, the majority of their customers would be basket shoppers and not trolly shoppers

breezy1985 wrote: »
    75 spaces in a city that is having a constant whinge about a lack of parking. And who is to say that a rejuvenated Roches/Parnell St. wont be good for the existing car park.

Henry St. has 2 car parks right next to each other and its not a problem down there

It's something to moan about, someone decided that a car park was wrong then the usual suspects jumped on it like flies to cow dung.

When I do my weekly shopping I walk my trolley to my car then put the shopping into the car, why would I want to carry my shopping 250-400 meters to another premises to get to my car. Aldi certainly won't allow their trollies off their premsies

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

phog wrote: »
    It's something to moan about, someone decided that a car park was wrong then the usual suspects jumped on it like flies to cow dung.

When I do my weekly shopping I walk my trolley to my car then put the shopping into the car, why would I want to carry my shopping 250-400 meters to another premises to get to my car. Aldi certainly won't allow their trollies off their premsies

There are already 2 Aldi supermarkets within 3km with lots of parking

• Advertisement

Tell that to Aldi, they'll save a fortune in development cost, sure, there's no need for it at all just let the city centre rot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,253 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

And there is a Tesco, Dunnes in the CC already. LIDL building near the docks in Limerick. It called competition. As well of you want people to live in city centers you have to provide shops and supermarkets for them. Both Dunnes and Tesco have multi story car parks attached to there CC shops. ALDI word not be viable without one. While the majority of those shopping there will be on foot or taxi, they still need a car park to attract those put of town people shopping in the CC.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Going to be fantastic if you ask me. If you live and/or work in the city centre and wanted to do your shopping your only two options were the much more expensive Tesco and Dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Jofspring wrote: »
    Going to be fantastic if you ask me. If you live and/or work in the city centre and wanted to do your shopping your only two options were the much more expensive Tesco and Dunnes.

I don't live in the city centre but this new Aldi will be closer than the other two for me. It's also just off several bus routes so will be more accessible for people who use public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 rob230te

It will be very handy for me. Work in the city centre and can walk to it when I need a few things or drive and park there when I need a bigger amount. Definitely makes sense having a car park

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

It's ideal, easier to get to with public transport. I would have to take 4 buses if I were to go to the Aldi by Roxboro( 2 in, 2 back) while in town I'd only need 2 in total. I can't wait until it opens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Did i hear LIDL were going in to Debenhams as well or should I just put down the whiskey at this point ?

dashoonage wrote: »
    Did i hear LIDL were going in to Debenhams as well or should I just put down the whiskey at this point ?

Do Lidl move into old units. I don't think it's something they normally do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Maz2016

dashoonage wrote: »

I’d imagine that’s a rumour. Aren’t they doing down the dock road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Probably ****e so. I ain't putting down the whiskey though lads

Advertisement