Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭Caovyn Lineah

Bored_lad wrote: »
    The Stormy Teacup is going to be opening up again in the next few weeks under new ownership. That's all I can saw for now but I'll post more when I can.

In the same spot?
    Pointless if so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Regatta Outdoor wear opening a store in Arthur's Quay on Oct 29th. It's their second in Limerick with one already open at the Crescent.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Waggaboo

Another bit of Ballycummin is supposed to be coming back to life tonight. Looks like the chipper is re-opening.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,313 ✭✭✭Ankhyu

ongarboy wrote: »
    Regatta Outdoor wear opening a store in Arthur's Quay on Oct 29th. It's their second in Limerick with one already open at the Crescent.

It's open since yesterday :)

• Advertisement

Ankhyu wrote: »
    It's open since yesterday :)

Passed it earlier in the week and the shop front looks good. Great to see that unit occupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

Waggaboo wrote: »
    Another bit of Ballycummin is supposed to be coming back to life tonight. Looks like the chipper is re-opening.

same crowd?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Whats opening where the rugby shop was?buillding knocked

same crowd?

No, it's the same crowd that have Alfie's, the pub next door. Chipper did open tonight and is called Alfie's as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

testicle wrote: »
    That I can not say. House Dublin are taking it over I believe.
    elastico wrote: »
    Without a source your words mean nothing. Hope it's true but I don't think there is even an estate agents sign outside it yet.

Do you believe me now? :p

• Advertisement

Another kebab shop open by the cornmsrket row
    Are these just all the same crowd or what ha

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

bigpink wrote: »
    Another kebab shop open by the cornmsrket row
    Are these just all the same crowd or what ha

I petition that we should officially designate it the Kebab Quarter!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Jeez, I'd love a Kebab now. 10:34am. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I think Starbucks is fitting out its Thomas Street unit now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Tefral

I think Starbucks is fitting out its Thomas Street unit now.

Definitely.. I know the Quantity Surveyor working on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

cronin_j wrote: »
    Definitely.. I know the Quantity Surveyor working on it.

Great, should be open around New Years with a bit of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

1huge1 wrote: »
    Great, should be open around New Years with a bit of luck

Shoild be open before the end of November at most. Starbucks fit outs usually happen very quickly and are done in a few weeks. They'll also want to be open for December for people Christmas shopping.

It will take some business off the other places

It will take some business off the other places

It could well do, but it might balance itself out with more people coming into the city who are attracted to the likes of Starbucks (and the knock on effects of that), not to mention the amount of footfall the employees of Uber will eventually bring.

Think uber is open already in henry street.

• Advertisement

Yeah, you're right. The offices on Thomas Street don't look near ready yet. I'd say it'll be the new year before they're ready to move in.

Surely they haven't all the jobs even close to being filled yet though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭goochy

visited the city yesterday for 1st time in about 6 mths and it has improved alot in that time - it was nice day mind you !
    i am actually a Dub happily living in Cork for 9 years but have liked limerick for many years - maybe its the friendlier plp than cork and the fact its not so self absorbed in itself ! does anyone notice that limerick has more of a big city feel to it than cork and is more edgy sometimes cork can be a bit predictable and dull !

however one thing i will say for cork there are very few eyesores and empty buildings on the outskirts of city compared to lk and Dublin. Limericks main ones are -

The ex Wickes building is depressing looking , any sign of it be used or is it even up for sale ?

obviously proposed Horizon mall site.

dock road full of derelict sites

coonagh cross tesco. / retail park - half finished.

closed hotel/ pub - ennis road across from Shiels garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭SmallTeapot

goochy wrote: »
    obviously proposed Horizon mall site.

I actually read the following in the Leader about the Horizon Mall last week...It's going to be a while yet it seems :( (I would love if Limerick was blessed with a M&S)
    High Court hearing on Horizon Mall is adjourned

A THREE day hearing at the High Court, which had been scheduled to start this Wednesday to decide the fate of the divisive €100m Horizon Mall shopping centre on the Dublin Road, has been adjourned.

The Limerick Leader has learned that the case was listed for mention today and scheduled to start in full tomorrow but due to legal reasons the judge was forced to adjourn the hearing to Friday, November 6.
    The judicial review hearing is based on objections by two companies with links to another Limerick shopping centre - South West Regional Shopping Centre Promotion Association Ltd and Stapleyside Company - both of which are represented by Arthur Cox solicitors.

The case is being taken against An Bord Pleanala, which granted permission for the development earlier this year.
    Both of the plaintiffs have vested interests in the Crescent Shopping Centre on the opposite side of the city’s suburbs.

The former is registered at the manager’s office at the Crescent, and its manager John Davitt is on the board of directors of both companies.
    The long-running development had several years ago been granted planning permission by the then Limerick County Council, but the recently amalgamated local authority objected to the development, citing the effects it could have on businesses in the city centre.

Those behind the Crescent Shopping Centre also fear that it could decimate their trade if it is allowed to go ahead.
    Under the terms set out by An Bord Pleanala, Belfast based developer Suneil Sharma, who was previously behind the Opera Centre site in the city, was given until August 2016 to complete the mammoth development.

While the development was originally granted planning permission by the then Limerick County Council, a revised application, reducing the size and scale of the development, was rejected by the amalgamated council.

Under an appeal by the applicant, Mr Sharma, An Bord Pleanala allowed it go ahead, but only under the previous proviso that it be completed by August 2016.

If built, the development on the Dublin Road is expected to house Limerick’s first Marks and Spencer, and its biggest store outside of Dublin.
    Property agents and developers have been trying to woo M&S to come to Limerick since the 1970s to no avail.

Ironically, M&S had planned to take a major unit in an expansion planned for the Crescent shopping centre some years ago, but those plans were turned down by An Bord Pleanala under the strength of business opposition in the city.

Those involved in South West Regional Shopping Centre Promotion previously argued that the development should not be allowed to proceed, as it is larger than the Crescent, which too has been blamed for declining footfalls in the city centre.

Affidavits have now been served by all the parties, and while the case could be heard in November, it could be several months before a decision is handed down by the next presiding judge to be assigned.
    Fianna Fail deputy Willie O’Dea earlier said that if it is built it could turn Limerick city into a “ghost town”.

However, his party colleague, Niall Collins, is not against the development, pointing to the 1,500 retail jobs it could create.
    The plans include two anchor tenants as well as 37 smaller outlets, down from 75 units when the project was first mooted.
    M&S was initially due to take 70,000 square feet of retail space in Horizon Mall (previously known as Parkway Valley) - but that has now risen to 100,000 square feet under the revised application.

The 73-page report by An Bord Pleanala earlier this year stated that the development “would not seriously detract from the vitality and viability of Limerick city centre”, contrary to the view of Limerick Chamber and other business interests in the city.

The development, which was first granted in July 2004, has been subject to numerous revisions and planning appeals over the past 11 years.
    In fact it came before the then Limerick County Council - before it was amalgamated with the city - on six occasions.

The report also noted that a total of €2,590,922.15 has been already been paid to Limerick County Council as development contributions in relation to the permitted development.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

goochy wrote:
    closed hotel/ pub - ennis road across from Shiels garage.

Planning recently granted to convert to a convelesant home, will be great to see it cleaned up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭goochy

good to hear , but it is very close the main road !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I actually read the following in the Leader about the Horizon Mall last week...It's going to be a while yet it seems :( (I would love if Limerick was blessed with a M&S)

Once the ABP permission stated that it had to be finished by August 2016 it was never going to be built under the currrent planning. Even if the high court throw out the case there's no way they'll be able to finish the building by next August.

I saw the owner of a well established menswear shop looking at the old Tom Tailor unit on Bedford Row a couple of days ago and there's a sign up saying it has been let.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

1huge1 wrote: »
    Surely they haven't all the jobs even close to being filled yet though?

They seem to have the front line customer service reps and the management team in place.

I'm assuming/hoping that the operations support/back office jobs will be coming on stream soon once they get things up and running.

There's deffo a bit more vibrancy around the city centre lately - the work on Cruises St. has helped a lot I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Lots of work at dfs today. Shouldn't take long to open by the amount of workers there.

Advertisement