Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Businesses Opening

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭goochy

still think its unsuitable for sofa shop , the showrooms opp. travel lodge Dublin road would have been better - the ex o mara showrooms aren't that big but theres huge forecourt

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The one in cork and dublin isn't much bigger and at least limerick is two floors.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭peppa 1986

Was in Centra O Connell street today. Wow....a great improvement and a wonderful addition to city centre. Looks like a big investment in city centre. Confidence back in city. Other retailers take note. We need a few more additions and investment to jazz up our city. Well done centra and musgraves....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,029 ✭✭✭✭phog

peppa 1986 wrote: »
    Was in Centra O Connell street today. Wow....a great improvement and a wonderful addition to city centre. Looks like a big investment in city centre. Confidence back in city. Other retailers take note. We need a few more additions and investment to jazz up our city. Well done centra and musgraves....

Fine shop but I hate their shop front. How they got planning permission for the tiles on the wall is beyond me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

A Centra a wow really?Must check it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

bigpink wrote: »
    A Centra a wow really?Must check it out

Back to the back of the queue pal!

Who needs an M&S ha?

The beggars will have increase to cover it haha

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

Old ACC building opposite Todd's is due to open as another bank I hear, the main st is getting some life back.

That cocbull place has opened saw on Facebook.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Work has began on fitting the new Permanent TSB branch in Castletroy, at the old Spar in Milford just off the Dublin Road (beside La Cucina).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Kenny B

marno21 wrote: »
    Work has began on fitting the new Permanent TSB branch in Castletroy, at the old Spar in Milford just off the Dublin Road (beside La Cucina).

Now you mention it, it is PTSB going to the ACC building I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Kenny B wrote: »
    Now you mention it, it is PTSB going to the ACC building I believe.

Yeah it's opening in December and the Sarsfield Street and William Street branches will close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

ACI in Castletroy have officially announced a new data centre.

link

Now that in itself may not seem a big deal but it re-enforces the Limerick location and may lead to further investment. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,654 ✭✭✭Cartman78

ACI in Castletroy have officially announced a new data centre.

link

Now that in itself may not seem a big deal but it re-enforces the Limerick location and may lead to further investment. :)

Fantastic news....wonder how many jobs associated with it?

Another positive sign either way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

Cartman78 wrote: »
    Fantastic news....wonder how many jobs associated with it?

Another positive sign either way

Plenty during construction phase, not so many when its fully operational; but like you said, definitely positive news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Yeah, modern data centres don't need many people to keep it operational but it does strengthen their presence in Limerick, they already employee over 70 in well skilled jobs.

So I would not be entirely surprised if it helped generate more jobs in the future... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

The ACI job is very big for Limerick. It's only a pity that this kind of business isn't opening in the city centre. It would have a massive regenerational effect if we could attract a few of these to the city centre. That said, I realise there's big challenges with making the city centre attractive to such businesses. We have to start taking on those challenges though.

On a less significant note, I see that the Paddy Frawley's sign is being retained over the unit on Thomas Street, so perhaps that is re-opening soon? Coq Bull opened last night beside it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

zulutango wrote: »
    The ACI job is very big for Limerick. It's only a pity that this kind of business isn't opening in the city centre. It would have a massive regenerational effect if we could attract a few of these to the city centre. That said, I realise there's big challenges with making the city centre attractive to such businesses. We have to start taking on those challenges though.

it's a data center. there is no benefits for the company in placing it the city

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Data centres can be the size of football pitches or bigger and are storage facilities built within massive warehouse style buildings requiring fairly minimal headcount to run. It simply would not be economically feasible or logistically possible to locate something so massive in a city centre area nor would it be surely be desirable. Would you want your city centre to be dominated with a building like attached which is a data centre? Spacious suburban sites are best suited for this type of venture.

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/microsoft-data-center.jpg

I would be all for high headcount, office based, sustainable employers locating in the city centre. Uber in the upper floors of the Thomas Street centre being a perfect example.

it's a data center. there is no benefits for the company in placing it the city

I believe they'll be employing a lot of people there so there are obvious benefits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

I believe they'll be employing a lot of people there so there are obvious benefits.

no, they won't. after initial setup you barely need few maintenance people inside

ongarboy wrote: »
    Data centres can be the size of football pitches or bigger and are storage facilities built within massive warehouse style buildings requiring fairly minimal headcount to run. It simply would not be economically feasible or logistically possible to locate something so massive in a city centre area nor would it be surely be desirable. Would you want your city centre to be dominated with a building like attached which is a data centre? Spacious suburban sites are best suited for this type of venture.

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/microsoft-data-center.jpg

I wasn't talking about having data centres in the city centre. Was talking generally about the city centre needing big employers setting up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Bored_lad

peppa 1986 wrote: »

Ya I passed it a few days ago however I didn't get the chance to go in although the place looks great from the outside and can't wait until its fully finished. It would be great if some other retailers would notice and see the opportunity to improve their shop fronts as in my opinion some of them look awful and it really doesn't look good for the city.

Getting PTSB into the old ACC building will be great once its open I know they are closing two other branches but that building hasn't been fully occupied for a while and is central and the kind of building you notice isn't occupied when your visiting a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Noel's menswear opening on Bedford Row on the 11th of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

Noel's menswear opening on Bedford Row on the 11th of November.

I am rarely excited about menswear in Limerick and that would be an exaggeration now as well but to be honest this one could work very well. Noels do decent brands although whoever does the buying would need a shake up, last time I was in there they had pepe, Gant, Lacoste, Barbour and penguin on top of the staples, although those are all brands I quite like there wasn't a single thing I would have liked. If they added a few interesting brands they could do well but as I said they need to do better with the ones they have, the location is a million times better though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Red King

I am rarely excited about menswear in Limerick and that would be an exaggeration now as well but to be honest this one could work very well. Noels do decent brands although whoever does the buying would need a shake up, last time I was in there they had pepe, Gant, Lacoste, Barbour and penguin on top of the staples, although those are all brands I quite like there wasn't a single thing I would have liked. If they added a few interesting brands they could do well but as I said they need to do better with the ones they have, the location is a million times better though.

+1 I like their store but have avoided it for the past two years after been aggressively confronted by a junkie outside it. No way I'll set foot up there after that. Seedy part of town

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭mart 23

Is this shop an xmas pop up shop or permanent .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

On a less significant note, I see that the Paddy Frawley's sign is being retained over the unit on Thomas Street, so perhaps that is re-opening soon? Coq Bull opened last night beside it too.

Paddys is only closed for renovation they will be reopened soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Jofspring

mart 23 wrote: »
    Is this shop an xmas pop up shop or permanent .

Ad on the radio seems to be saying a second store.

• Advertisement

The Snipe wrote: »
    Paddys is only closed for renovation they will be reopened soon :)

Wasnt it only a new pub anyway?

Advertisement