Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing For the National Anthem

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

gatecrash wrote: »
    This is an aside from the Things you Refuse to do thread.

I have to say I'm appalled at the amount of people who refuse to stand for the National Anthem.

Honestly, what are your reasons for not standing? Is it cos you think you are quirky and cool and just want to be different?? I just don't understand it. One poster said it's cos they have no interest in the army So the National Anthem is more to do with the army, than the nation?? Here's a clue. NATIONal Anthem.....

I probably wouldn't stand because I'm not particularly hung up on notions of nationalism or patriotism. I don't mind if others do but it's not my bag. Doesn't make me cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Snakeblood wrote: »
    I probably wouldn't stand because I'm not particularly hung up on notions of nationalism or patriotism. I don't mind if others do but it's not my bag. Doesn't make me cool.

If you were at a soccer match you'd probably stand anytime the ball would go into the near corner..same for Rugby.

Would you not just stand for the anthem as well? There's patriotism and then theres just respect..you don't have to be patrioctic at all..wouldn't blame you with the crap that's gone on here over the more recent years but this country has a pretty cool history and has had many men fight in Wars for us. Even if it was indirectly for us it was all the same.

I don't know, I'm not overly passionate and wouldn't hate people that don't stand for it but I just don't get why not stand..it's not much of an effort to stand for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

foxinsox wrote: »
    I'm Irish..

I'm proud of being Irish.. (regardless of the state of the country at the moment)

I have and always will stand for the National Anthem..

For years it was always played at the end of the night, pub, club or gathering. Some people would be drunk, but unless they were comatose, in general people still stood up. :)

Pub, Club, gathering? Oh those were the days (80s), I remember them well, everybody pissed at the end of the night & the thick smell of cigarette smoke filling the air, all stood up and sang the first line 'Sinne Fianna Fáil, Atá fá gheall ag Éirinn, Buidhean dár sluagh tar rúinn, humm hum hum a la la la la de dum, don't know the rest, too fecked anyway, but at least i'm standing > then somebody passes round the collection box for the ra.

Thought (hoped) those days were long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Wompa1 wrote: »
    If you were at a soccer match you'd probably stand anytime the ball would go into the near corner..same for Rugby.

Would you not just stand for the anthem as well? There's patriotism and then theres just respect..you don't have to be patrioctic at all..wouldn't blame you with the crap that's gone on here over the more recent years but this country has a pretty cool history and has had many men fight in Wars for us. Even if it was indirectly for us it was all the same.

I don't know, I'm not overly passionate and wouldn't hate people that don't stand for it but I just don't get why not stand..it's not much of an effort to stand for it.

Yeah. I suppose it would depend on where I was. If I was among people I liked who were standing, I probably would stand. I think if (as in the example given above about the pub and shouting at people to show a bit of respect) I'd probably sit out of cussedness. I think a lot of harm has and will be done as a result of nationalism and borders that I don't feel are particularly important to me. I dunno. I'm sort of wishy washy on the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Some people realise they only have one life and standing and being quiet for one song isn't going to affect their lives in any good way

Neither will sitting and being quiet.

• Advertisement

foxinsox wrote: »
    I'm Irish..

I'm proud of being Irish.. (regardless of the state of the country at the moment)

I have and always will stand for the National Anthem..

We did`t pick being irish though, its like being proud of a non achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

robbie7730 wrote: »
    We did`t pick being irish though, its like being proud of a non achievement.

No, we didn't, but IMO there's nothing wrong with taking pride in your heritage.

JaxxYChicK wrote: »
    No, we didn't, but IMO there's nothing wrong with taking pride in your heritage.

No your probably right:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Misanthrope

Down the years I've watched our greatest scoundrels stand proudly for the anthem.

The words ,nor the music,do not change if you sit down, or even if you are doing a handstand.

I usually sit through it(except @ rugby games) to antagonise 'barstool republicans' and 'vogue nationalists'.You know, the sort of clowns who think a Wolfe Tones album is a degree in history.Sure god help us, tis sad isn't it?

Advertisement