Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Standing For the National Anthem

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

Dudess wrote: »
    A jar... being bolloxed... not the same thing.

:confused:
    If they don't know the words, should they stand and sing but replace the words with doos and dees so?
    They're choosing not to stand because they don't believe in that particular ritual - I'm amazed by how you and others seem to think it's ok to force people into doing stuff they don't want to do. So you want insincere, grudging renditions of it through gritted teeth? This isn't North Korea.

Not really no. If you don't want to sing it, have in inherent reason why they wouldn't learn their own anthem, have a problem with being Irish in general or have a problem with what the anthem stands for then I DON'T want them to stand around doing it half hearted... they might as well just bugger off out of here.

But what stumps me is why so many Irish people on this Board WOULD sing it begrudgingly.

what I simly can not understand is the amount of IRISH people on this thread who are critizing the IRISH national anthem and what it stands for and refuse to show it a bit of respect. I'm not some mad Nationalist... but I'm Irish and have a sense of identity... I've lived in several countries around the world and my sense of Irishness is something I appreciate from that, something which most people here seem like they can't give two flying f*cks about.

Comparing Ireland to North Korea pretty much blew your side of the argument out of the water anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

GSTQ is better imo. Still nowhere near the German one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I wasn't comparing Ireland to North Korea (believe me I LAWL when people actually do that) but I was making a point that you can't force national pride on people. I'd have much more of an issue with Irish people saying "we" are begrudgers, ugly, backwards etc, but not standing for a national anthem... it's only a dismissal of Ireland if you see it that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Nationalism, to me, is being proud of being born where there's an oak tree, rather than being born 10 feet away where there's an elm tree. Ie, rather ridiculous and potentially dangerous.
    Thus, I won't be inclined to stand up at all. If someone says anything to me about it, which they have in past, I kindly smile to them and tell them to fcuk off. :)
    I'd sooner stand for the Soviet national anthem, purely for the irony.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭zeds alive

I normally leave while its playing and get to the chippers and get food before I have to run the gauntlet of drunk gob****es who think I said something about their ma's

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭a-k-47

National Anthem in a nightclub, cringe. Them days are well over afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

a-k-47 wrote: »
    National Anthem in a nightclub, cringe. Them days are well over afaik.

If only that were true. :/ I heard it in a nightclub in Longford just a couple of months ago. (Mind you, I don't go out there that often, this could have been a random time, or it could be a somewhat regular occurrence.)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 afc4ever

latenia wrote: »
    Infantile nonsense.

only the chorus is the national anthem and wen sung in the irish version is not the national anthem of Ireland due to the translation never being endorsed by the irish government to avoid party political association i.e fianna fail would have to be changed to iaochra fail before it will ever be officially endorsed. but we are probably better off without one since all it seemed to do in this thread was divide people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Copper23 wrote: »
    What is it with the country? How is this attitude tolerated, even encouraged?

It's your country ffs, if you are not irish then what the hell are you? God almighty, you can tell half the people here have never left their own little village in all their years.

Tell me one National Anthem that isn't along that lines, singing about its greatness or it's victory to win independence or whatever is suitable to the time?

What do you expect it to be, Lady Gaga? Jesus.... I'm embarrassed for you.

Because we tollerate different opinion. Its a song written somebody and then decided by sombody else that its the national anthem.

You may not agree with the violence of 1916- 21, you may not think as the department of external affairs thought that the lyrics were not appropriate and so selected a different song for our national anthem in the 1920s.

You may just think its a bad song. but being Irish is far more complicated than just liking a song

to hell with the national anthem

time to change it as it contains the lyrics "Fianna Fail"
    I wont be standing for it ever

• Advertisement

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Thats in the wrong language for a start.

Personally I dont understand why it is played in pubs. Bu if its played I will sure as hell stand and sing.

Nope, its in the right language. The Irish translation was not published untill 1923. It was the english version written by peadar kearney and sung throughout the war of independance

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

Can any of the die hards think of one valid reason WHY it should be played at the end of a p1ss-up?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The same people that don't stand for the anthem here are the people that don't like how patriotic people in America are.

For all the negative things I'd have to say about Ireland it is still my home, if I hate it so much as not to respect the anthem I think I'd just leave..

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The same people that don't stand for the anthem here are the people that don't like how patriotic people in America are.

For all the negative things I'd have to say about Ireland it is still my home, if I hate it so much as not to respect the anthem I think I'd just leave..

I don't know. you can love ireland but dislike the anthem. Personally im not a soldier so singing that I am one does nothing to stir pride in me, it actually makes me feel hypocritical.

other songs do stir that in me. I can't help but get a lump in the throat when I hear 'A song for Ireland' for example. It demonstrates far more what I love about the place

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I only ever hear it when I am out drinking at the end of the night. Why would I stand for it when I can not stand myself? Very wrong time to play it!

As I said before I will stand for it if it is played in a NON drinking situation, which it never is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

On the other hand since drinking is almost a national pastime, making the pub a national contest arena/stadium. Perhaps its more appropriate than once thought. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Firehen

As a few people have touched on already, I do like Ireland as a country and I'm relatively proud to be Irish.

However, the song doesn't touch on any reason I like being Irish. It may salute those that did, but to be honest, I don't think it does it very well at all. If it covered actual reasons why Ireland is a swell place to be from (and to live), I'd be more receptive to it. Cue jokes about how that would be the shortest song ever etc..

Standing for the sake of standing is pointless in most situations. I'll respect the anthem as I would all anthems, as I'd rather not upset people who care about it. What I don't appreciate is people judging me for not standing/singing at ridiculous times or places, like in my own home or at the end of a night out (seriously, what the **** is up with that?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,021 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

nlgbbbblth wrote: »
    I'm DJing at an 80s disco next month and it's gonna get played at the end of the night.

Dont remember it making the Top 40 at any stage during the 1980's which year was it ?
    See in the east a silv'ry glow,
    Out yonder waits the Saxon foe,
    So chant a soldier's song.

Apart from this pretty much sucking as a military strategy
    What have we got against the Saxons anyway ?
    I was in Saxony once. They seemed alright to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

gatecrash wrote: »

Honestly, what are your reasons for not standing? Is it cos you think you are quirky and cool and just want to be different?? I just don't understand it. One poster said it's cos they have no interest in the army So the National Anthem is more to do with the army, than the nation?? Here's a clue. NATIONal Anthem.....

Because the cuntry has given me nothing but grief and I ****ing hate it. **** it, it can fall and drown in the ocean for all I care. There are not enough words in the world that could describe the hatred I feel for this CUNTRY.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

shampon wrote: »
    Because the cuntry has given me nothing but grief and I ****ing hate it. **** it, it can fall and drown in the ocean for all I care. There are not enough words in the world that could describe the hatred I feel for this CUNTRY.
    Drink the soup and get the boat then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i hate the national anthem> its too clanish and bloodthirsty

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Sinne Fianna Fáil.......???

No ****ing way! I'm not singing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Is that a "No ****ing way - that's my song" moment where you run to the dance floor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

shampon wrote: »

Awww, Shuuks, Sher it could be worse.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I'm not really patriotic but I must say when you are in a stadium and everyone is standing together singing that makes me proud or even more when you are playing in a match with it being played, it's a unbeleivable experience then I must say!

It'd probably be even more unbelievable if everyone sang stairway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

brummytom wrote: »
    Why does everyone keep knocking it by the way? It's a crackin tune, especially the crescendo bit on the second last line has a great feel to it. Try listening to God Save The Queen, now that's a dirgy crock of shit
    In a nightclub, I like the DJ to close playing a techno banger with a bass so loud you'd hear it in Ibiza. The thought of the national anthem being played in such a scenario is, quite frankly, ****.

On the flip side, I think Ámhrán na BhFiann would be a much more rousing song than some dance anthem when it's preceding a sporting event with Ireland facing another nation.

There's a time and a place for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

If you're watching a match at home on your own, would the perpetual standers still stand up in from of the telly?

That would be really odd.

If they wouldn't then its probably all about appearances and wanting to be seen to be standing rather than any actual "don't disrespect the country ye muppe'!".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,297 ✭✭✭Jaxxy

Pace2008 wrote: »
    In a nightclub, I like the DJ to close playing a techno banger with a bass so loud you'd hear it in Ibiza. The thought of the national anthem being played in such a scenario is, quite frankly, ****.

On the flip side, I think Ámhrán na BhFiann would be a much more rousing song than some dance anthem when it's preceding a sporting event with Ireland facing another nation.

There's a time and a place for everything.

Completely agree with this. Playing the National Anthem in a club is a bit ridiculous IMO, although I've never heard it played in any club in Dublin so perhaps it's more of a country thing.

That being said I will always stand for my National Anthem. I'm Irish, I'm proud to be Irish, why wouldn't I stand to show respect for our song? I cheer for our national teams in every sport so why shouldn't I cheer for our anthem.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭Lanaier

Can someone please explain to me the difference between standing for the anthem at a sporting event and standing at some pub?

I'm not seeing it.
    Personally, I stand for it.
    But I would never insist that my non-Irish girlfriend or her family stand for it...not at some football match, and certainly not at some kippy pub.

Government or Military related events are a different story however, and I would appreciate their respect in that matter.

Also: my love for Ireland is not measured in the number of times I've sung the anthem.
    If anything the idea that you MUST stand goes against some of the best things about Ireland.

Finally:
    My pride for Ireland has little to do with singing, it has even less to do with pubs and it has absolutely nothing to do with sport.

Some things cannot be quantified so easily, that's whats so great about them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Government or Military related events are a different story however, and I would appreciate their respect in that matter.

It should only be played at things that represent Ireland, International sporting events and functions/ceremony such as military parades, not weddings, 21st, pubs or clubs. If they do play it, people should sit down and boo and whoever plays it is showing as much respect for it as you are. I've been at quite of few where it was played and the majority of the time I remain seated. The majority of people I know that would class themselves as "patriotic" and complain about people not standing go out of their way to sully the Irish name when they are abroad or commit crimes against the Irish people at home. It is 2010 not 1916.

Advertisement