Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commentary test for inferno- healthy criticism please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

up

(jebuz, that took 2 minutes cause I had to wait 30 seconds each time. Commitment!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Don't get me wrong man, if you want to make an exceptional product I will support you in every way I can, I am just saying I am not capable of doing so on many levels. If left to my own devices, I'll do what I can do and this is it.

If you wanted to do more, I'd hand over the files etc on the day, no problem.

Oh I know this , you always have been for all that kinda stuff. It was the general impression from the community at large I was talking about.

What I mean is , I think most prefer a stream of many un edited but high quality vids with commentary released very close to when the event ended, over 8 heavily edited vids with logos overlays crowd reactions and everything else but released weeks later.

As for next inferno, sweet I hope I can make it , the vids from the last one held there looked great.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sisko wrote: »
    Oh I know this , you always have been for all that kinda stuff. It was the general impression from the community at large I was talking about.

What I mean is , I think most prefer a stream of many un edited but high quality vids with commentary released very close to when the event ended, over 8 heavily edited vids with logos overlays crowd reactions and everything else but released weeks later.

As for next inferno, sweet I hope I can make it , the vids from the last one held there looked great.

Nothing to stop us doing both. I do my thing and you yours, type of thing.

People get their quick fix and later get their quality vids for putting out into cyberspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Just checked these vids there and the prospect of getting regular commentary at inferno is excellent.
    Makes the matches far more interesting to watch and I think itl def make the Irish community stand amidst the thralls of sf YouTube vids out there. Couple of my friends said they'd watch the match's more often with commentary and they're just casual gamers.

Had many tests of varying quality at Clash X Counter.

Here's a really good example of it working (even if you don't like Blaz blue, go to 5 mins, you'll understand what's going on there anyway).

First proper recorded momentof hype commentary right there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭D4RK ONION

Voa, you BEAUTIFUL MAN OF SCIENCE!

Good stuff from Xinkai and Orim(?) too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Yeah that was me.

The commentary came out really well I think. That commentary malarky is quite hard to keep some semblance of talking. I would say that's one of the better videos. Just wait for the tekken vids where I'm on my own. I'd say it'll be god awful.

I know it's probably not possible but a little more volume in the game sound would be useful. It would help those little lulls in the commentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That comeback was awesome. Total mind feck tbh. You gotta finish it off when you have that big a life lead.

Nice, yeah needs to be better balance between the commentators and the game.

What was causing the desync issues before hand? Is it the kinda issue that crops up randomly or do you know what it was and can ensure it doesn't randomly happen during a tourney or whatever?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I'd like to see the BB finals; me, Xin and Joe giving comms on characters we know well in a game we know well. Though it might've been a lil crowded with 3 people on 2 mics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

And VOA being a mic hog JUST SAYING xD

Naw VOA's a great commentator :)

Xinkai wrote: »
    And VOA being a mic hog JUST SAYING xD

Naw VOA's a great commentator :)
    I did mention before we went up that once I was on the mic, you'd have to pry it from my COLD DEAD HANDS.

Or put Tekken on. That safe-launcher got old quick.

As far as I am concerned if Blaz blue is on he's entitled to stay on the mic as long as possible.

Xinkai you were quite good but seriously you need to quit the cheap pops with the MikeZ stuff etc. It's not you who'll have to deal with the youtube trolls over that stuff, it's me :) I know saying this might make me seem like a dick but I need to be a dick for this to work.

Joe was really good too and there was an obvious chemistry between him and voa ("shoutouts to casual racism").

On the SF side the only one who really stood out to me on the day was Dan. To be fair, this was mainly because everyone else was running around like a blue arsed fly and couldn't get into a groove so I expect other people to emerge at Inferno.

I think I nearly have all the technical issues ironed out, we're nearly there. :)

Nice, yeah needs to be better balance between the commentators and the game.

What was causing the desync issues before hand? Is it the kinda issue that crops up randomly or do you know what it was and can ensure it doesn't randomly happen during a tourney or whatever?

It was extremely difficult for me to get the noise of the game just right because the ambient noise in the room was really loud. I'll turn it up a lil in future.

The desync issues were because of the old software I used. I've gotten some that was made by one of the guys who worked on the hauppage itself and while it's UI is no where near as good as the old one when it comes to actually recording footage it's miles ahead (even down to using non propietary formats and automatically converting to mp4 for me).

There was some glitches about half way through the day. I have some idea why these happened, and I think I can avoid them in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

For ambient sound being picked up on the mic, an option would be to place some big sheets of card or something around the back and sides of the commentary desk to try and block some of it out.

@ Doom
    It was extremely difficult for me to get the noise of the game just right because the ambient noise in the room was really loud. I'll turn it up a lil in future.

Hmm I must be missing something, so just so I understand, how come the background noise of whatevers happening in the room effect the input of the game volume?

I suppose I'm making the assumption that the game volume is inputing directly into the recording device on one input and the mics on another input and you have sliders controlling the levels of each. I'm guessing I'm wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

I would have attempted more/been better on commentary if I wasn't so drained from antibiotics and a lack of food since Tuesday.

@ Doom

Hmm I must be missing something, so just so I understand, how come the background noise of whatevers happening in the room effect the input of the game volume?

I suppose I'm making the assumption that the game volume is inputing directly into the recording device on one input and the mics on another input and you have sliders controlling the levels of each. I'm guessing I'm wrong?

I actually meant the literal ambient noise in the room. I was sat beside two huge speakers, the main game stage, and it was really noisey, difficult to fine tune the levels in that kind of situation. I think it's just a practice thing to zone it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

May be worth a read for whoever is thinking about doing commentary / shoutcasting: So you want to be a shoutcaster

Free book by Paul “ReDeYe” Chaloner...

🤪

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    May be worth a read for whoever is thinking about doing commentary / shoutcasting: So you want to be a shoutcaster

Free book by Paul “ReDeYe” Chaloner...

Don't click that link, I think it just passed me a virus called WinHDD

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Voa wrote: »

Oh :( I'll remove link

🤪

Okay, cleaned up the virus on myself (I knew there was a reason I was in a CompSci degree..), but yeah, I'm 90% sure that was the site that fed it to me. It disabled my task manager, crashed me like 4-5 times and had like 2-3 separate entries in the register. Annoying little bugger so it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    Oh :( I'll remove link
    Okay, cleaned up the virus on myself (I knew there was a reason I was in a CompSci degree..), but yeah, I'm 90% sure that was the site that fed it to me. It disabled my task manager, crashed me like 4-5 times and had like 2-3 separate entries in the register. Annoying little bugger so it was.

Hmmm,
    I clicked that link, checked my registry and can't see anything I need to remove?

Where abouts in OSX should I be checking?
    1236664538680300x273.jpg&t=1

WhyIaughta....

A-Trak wrote: »
    Where abouts in OSX should I be checking?
    It's in Safari. Open it up, then search for "I need to buy a real computer"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

PC vs MAC

The Time of Retribution

DECIDE THE DESTINY

Vyze wrote: »
    It's in Safari. Open it up, then search for "I need to buy a real computer"

You won't be needing my mac for the next CxC then. :P

You won't be needing my mac for the next CxC then. :P
    With a PC then at least there could've been a chance to have a faulty sound driver to avoid commentary on my matches. ;)

So, we talking about the dropped combos... or dat comeback?:cool:

• Advertisement

Nah man, I'm too busy being a pioneer to worry about that stuff! :P

Advertisement