Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Commentary test for inferno- healthy criticism please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

This is great Doom. Commentary adds so much to the atmosphere and I'm sure it will pick up crowd reactions too.

Commentary and crowd is so, so much better than in game sounds. We don't need to hear Ryu shout Hadoken! for the umpteenth time, do we? But hearing people on the mic rag on airthrows and turtling and random ultra's is awesome :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Sounds good to me. Can the players still hear the ingame sounds as usual, ye?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

You have something pretty damn good going on here, keep it up, Doom.

Heh, I can already see what sort of commentary they'll have when I come up with this set up in place for the first time;

Commentator: And heres comes Misty Chaos, better known for sleeping around the gaff than in his in game skills! :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Bush80 wrote: »
    Sounds good to me. Can the players still hear the ingame sounds as usual, ye?

Yup, that's what I needed the splitter for and why I couldn't do it for the last inferno, otherwise the tv's speakers would be outputting the commentary directly at the players :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

The play-by-play commentary style we're all deriding is definitely pretty good for stuff like listening to an important sports match on the radio, where the announcer has to create a visual picture in the mind of the listeners.

That style simply isn't necessary in Street Fighter though, because we're all WATCHING the match. Even the most newbish of newb players (and most non-players) will know a fireball when they see it, they don't need to be told what it is.

The stuff Doom was doing talking about what the players were thinking, what they needed to do next, and the overall strategy behind the moves was all great.

Specific examples I liked in the commentary:

"Farz is focusing fireballs to try and build ultra, once he has it he can threaten it on any other fireballs"

"Ohhhh, whiffed the super, but he's still in control of the match with Farz down and he's keeping the pressure up."

"He can just sit back and wait, he has the life lead and there's only 15 seconds left, he can force Farz into action."

"Keep the pressure on, keep the pressure on, AW he let him back up"

"There's a bird in the hippos mouth!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

The play-by-play commentary style we're all deriding is definitely pretty good for stuff like listening to an important sports match on the radio, where the announcer has to create a visual picture in the mind of the listeners.

That style simply isn't necessary in Street Fighter though, because we're all WATCHING the match. Even the most newbish of newb players (and most non-players) will know a fireball when they see it, they don't need to be told what it is.

Oh yar, I really should have said something along those lines as it's exactly how I feel on the topic =)

Here's the last third, including vitally Farzes victories :)

DAVE!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

who the **** is dave, i hate him
    also my PP is low because im playing cammy ranked, phasing the chun out

its great to hear commentary kinda helps ur game
    also what normal anti airs do u think are best? online none work that well except d,f lk , even that in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

For Chun :

cr.MP, st.FP, st.MK, cr.MK, st.RH, cr.RH

There's some others but they'd be the main ones besides d/f.LK

All situational though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭ayjayirl

First time I think I have ever heard that Optimus is cute.

Hilarious.

• Advertisement

Orim wrote: »
    For Chun :

cr.MP, st.FP, st.MK, cr.MK, st.RH, cr.RH

There's some others but they'd be the main ones besides d/f.LK

All situational though.

cr.MP, = great only if close
    st.FP, = crap
    st.MK, = so slow
    cr.MK, = ?
    st.RH, = slower
    cr.RH = good with honda, i find

this is all online though, i dont get much offline play

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Placebo wrote: »
    st.FP, = crap
    st.MK, = so slow
    cr.MK, = ?
    st.RH, = slower

That's why Dan said "all situational", they're all good AA moves, you just gotta learn when to use them. Chun imo has some of the best antiair in the game, but it's some of the hardest to put to use cause a lot of it is matchup or spacing specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    That's why Dan said "all situational", they're all good AA moves, you just gotta learn when to use them. Chun imo has some of the best antiair in the game, but it's some of the hardest to put to use cause a lot of it is matchup or spacing specific.

Agree completely, jumping in on Bush for example is a nightmare, he mixes them up to great affect.

sure you can use her slap for a lame late anit air.
    CHUN imo has pretty bad AA's when compared to say ryu. You could cross chun up all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

st.FP, = crap
    st.MK, = so slow
    cr.MK, = ?
    st.RH, = slower

As I said it depends on the match and the jump in.

As an example, st.FP will beat Boxer everytime he leaves the ground, pretty much without fail. It's also very good in the Adon and Dudley match.

cr.MP will either beat a shotos MK/RH jump or at worst will make them whiff with the lowered hitbox. cr.MK is the similar. You can make a lot of jumps whiff by using it.

st.MK starts up in 7 frames, which isn't terrible. Quicker than d/f LK and if you do it late you can use the close version to AA which is 4 frames.

st.RH is slow but it has a great hitbox and is more for reacting to jumps when they are distance away from you. it's especially good against the big characters that you can hit with it even if they don't jump.

This is one of problems with Chun, she doesn't have a go to normal AA. You have to try and learn your spacing and angles and work on it and remember the situations where x,y or z will work. All else fails go for the airthrow.

who the **** is dave, i hate him
    also my PP is low because im playing cammy ranked, phasing the chun out

its great to hear commentary kinda helps ur game
    also what normal anti airs do u think are best? online none work that well except d,f lk , even that in advance.

Farz, when you were playing me I was delibrately using the standing hp aa to show you how!

Also bush often uses cr mp online on me.

In all situations go for the airthrow.

F'ed your Pee.

As I said it depends on the match and the jump in.

As an example, st.FP will beat Boxer everytime he leaves the ground, pretty much without fail. It's also very good in the Adon and Dudley match.

cr.MP will either beat a shotos MK/RH jump or at worst will make them whiff with the lowered hitbox. cr.MK is the similar. You can make a lot of jumps whiff by using it.

st.MK starts up in 7 frames, which isn't terrible. Quicker than d/f LK and if you do it late you can use the close version to AA which is 4 frames.

st.RH is slow but it has a great hitbox and is more for reacting to jumps when they are distance away from you. it's especially good against the big characters that you can hit with it even if they don't jump.

This is one of problems with Chun, she doesn't have a go to normal AA. You have to try and learn your spacing and angles and work on it and remember the situations where x,y or z will work. All else fails go for the airthrow.

a lot of them while situational need to be very accurate where risk vs reward leans more toward risk. example is MK , late, its excellent works great in training, try it in match, you'll eat some nice damage. Because all her AA's are situational and need to be quite accurate i would rate a simple SRK over most of them.
    But i dont play enough with her anymore so

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

You can cross any character up if you know the right setups.

I don't see how her slap would be any use at all, you're only going to get 40 damage and it has a crap hitbox.

edit: "you have to be accurate" isn't a reason not to use the antiairs, you have to be accurate with Ryu's DP too even. It's just a case of actually spending time learning to use them

Chun has godlike AAs. She just doesnt have a one for all AA

• Advertisement

Bush80 wrote: »
    Chun has godlike AAs. She just doesnt have a one for all AA

surely one for all is more GODlike ;)

surely one for all is more GODlike ;)

:pac:

Ye I suppose but the end result is the same, you cant jump at chun li. Doing dp as an aa is a lot harder than using a normal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

On the last couple of points.

I'm not doing commentary seperately and editing. I don't have the skills or the extra time required to do it (while it might only take a couple of minutes a video to settle the audio levels etc, rendering HD footage is quite slow).

I'd definitely consider doing it though if someone would volunteer to do the leg work once the recording was done.

Well I was always hoping it'd go towards the style of a solid presentation of the top 8 matches at an event. Proper artwork and logos, and player names tastefully overlaid on the vids , crowd reactions mixed in and commentary etc etc but not many were really liking that idea.

But as for keeping with proper quality vids recorded with commentary on the spot no editing, as long as sync issues are eliminated this is still fantastic and a massive boost.

Just require a quick little test run to see if the levels are all ok and it'd be good to go
    On the point of XGC- no, I don't ever forsee using the full set up there.

Say no more, all your points are valid and I think everyone here would agree with 'em.

Where is the next inferno taking place?

Sisko wrote: »
    Well I was always hoping it'd go towards the style of a solid presentation of the top 8 matches at an event. Proper artwork and logos, and player names tastefully overlaid on the vids , crowd reactions mixed in and commentary etc etc but not many were really liking that idea.

But as for keeping with proper quality vids recorded with commentary on the spot no editing, as long as sync issues are eliminated this is still fantastic and a massive boost.

Don't get me wrong man, if you want to make an exceptional product I will support you in every way I can, I am just saying I am not capable of doing so on many levels. If left to my own devices, I'll do what I can do and this is it.

If you wanted to do more, I'd hand over the files etc on the day, no problem.

Next inferno is in the exchange.

On Exchange street.

(In exchangeland)

post count++ for me too, sure why not

post count++ for me too, sure why not

I forgot to reply to that part of his post and I always think that little edit thing is ugly.

So sue me :D

Yeh

Farz

• Advertisement

shut

Advertisement