Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new garda speed cameras

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dunleakelleher

narddog wrote: »
    The camera are focussed on "black spot" areas. Why isn't money spent on correcting these areas, ie straightning out sharp bends, rather than bringing in another form of tax.

why spend money when you can make money

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭cork_south

Milly33 wrote: »
    Is there one of these cameras by the traffic lights lets say heading from Rochestown direction to douglas at the traffic lights just before the Rochestown Park? Passed it twice recently and Im convinced I see a flash going off, on the right hand side of the road. If it is tis crap I drive a old car and there is ne way im speeding in it if thats why tis going off

Hey fella, the same thing happened to me today. I'm not sure if I was speeding though. Did anything come of this for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭dodger50

cork_south wrote: »
    Hey fella, the same thing happened to me today. I'm not sure if I was speeding though. Did anything come of this for you?

Relax! :D The green glass in the traffic light is broken. As you pass, travelling towards Douglas, it gives the impression of a white flash out of the corner of your eye.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,351 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

dodger50 wrote: »
    Relax! :D The green glass in the traffic light is broken. As you pass, travelling towards Douglas, it gives the impression of a white flash out of the corner of your eye.

I see cameras.... everywhere;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

people used think the same when heading past the zebra crossing in riverstown just before glanmire sc

it was actually the orange dome on one of the lights being cracked and exposed which made people think they'd been caught by a gatso

the most useless spot I can see on the map is the one leading into cooney's lane past the pinecroft in grange

with regards to the one on silversprings hill, I can see why they'd want one there,
    but the only place to park up without being on private property or blocking up an estate is on the wrong side of the road to catch anyone,
    that road can be very tempting and is easy to hit 70mph going uphill with anything 1.8l or above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

the most useless spot I can see on the map is the one leading into cooney's lane past the pinecroft in grange

That's not useless at all!! I used to live there and it's a longish stretch of road with kids/dogs/people coming from all angles as it's surrounded by estates.
    And there was always tossers speeding down the road in their celicas/civics/puntos with farting cannons!

Just look at that long unobstructed stretch of road. It might not be the biggest black spot but it's one of the few residential areas with a stretch of road like that, that doesn't have speedbumps.
    136268.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭stephendevlin

they are practically putting the speed cameras everywhere i wonder are they evan there at all...all a scam like putting not putting condoms in a condom machine because everyone know there not going to ask the owner bout it:D

They will only be on 1 or 2 of the roads at any given time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

cork_south wrote: »

Who you calling fella :D

"Relax! biggrin.gif The green glass in the traffic light is broken. As you pass, travelling towards Douglas, it gives the impression of a white flash out of the corner of your eye. "

Correct ans I mentioned it to himself and he went to all the effort of driving around to see it and well lets say I said ne more after that...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

babo9 wrote: »
    That's not useless at all!! I used to live there and it's a longish stretch of road with kids/dogs/people coming from all angles as it's surrounded by estates.

well useless was the wrong word to use, but they could be put somewhere a lot more sensible

the press releases say the gatso vans are to be placed in known accident blackspots, have you seen any accidents on that road?

I've friends in grange way and one of the other adjacent parks, that's the only reason I noticed it

to me if they do put a gatso van on that road it will be to take advantage of the fact that a parked up van wouldn't look out of place and they can use it for easy revenue

And there was always tossers speeding down the road in their celicas/civics/puntos with farting cannons!

Noise and speed are two very different things, the loudest cars are usually the slowest and have large alloys that cause even more drag

on the subject of random stereotypes

the kids and dogs are at big risk from a woman paying attention to her makeup or mobile in their golf/mini/fiesta/yaris

or from parents looking in the rear view mirror and screaming at their own kids in the back seat of their cmax/zafira/picasso mammy wagons

ex housemate used to work with dineens crash repair
    and he'll vouch for the amount of family cars compared to anything else that would be dropped off outside in the lot after accidents

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭babo9

have you seen any accidents on that road?
    Yup, around 6 months ago (although to be fair that was coming onto the road!). But I agree in terms of accidents there are better spots.
    Noise and speed are two very different things, the loudest cars are usually the slowest and have large alloys that cause even more drag

on the subject of random stereotypes
    I'm aware of that, ha I knew someone would call me on the stereotypes-it was said somewhat in jest, perhaps I should have made it clearer. Fact is people do speed down that road as it's a long clear stretch.

As I said in terms of accidents there are better spots, but same to be said about a few of these speed cam locations. But in terms of speed it's a good location. I'm only talking in terms of speed cos it's clear this whole speed camera thing could of been done far better, so I'm just talking simply in terms of what it is!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭wexcap

What's with the new cctv cameras in cork are they red light cameras

• Registered Users Posts: 16,770 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Unfortunately not! I believe they are merely for monitoring traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blindsider

Zombie thread @wexcap

You raised this in the Roads thread too….? Did you run a red light?

Advertisement