Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Ireland team to face the All Blacks

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭JustinDee

I copy and pasted the guy at the top of the pages selection and made 3-4 changes as it's so close to what I'd pick.

Was just saying you've one too many in your list.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Diom

Re: Cronin being part of a bad scrum (Irishbucsfan).
    Cronin came off at the same time as Hayes, allowing Court to switch to his stronger side, and Healy to come on with fresh legs. Cronin is a very good in the scrum.

My side:

Healy
    Cronin
    Court
    Ryan/Cullen
    DOC
    Ferris
    Heaslip
    Wallace

Stringer/Boss
    Sexton

Fitz
    D'Arcy
    BOD
    Bowe
    Duffy/Murphy

Bench:
    Cullen/Ryan, SOB, Ross, Best, P.Wallace, ROG, Boss/Stringer

I'd start Duffy but I know Murphy has the experience. Duffy as I often point out has been the outstanding Irish full back over the last two seasons. He offers more in attack and defense than Kearney. I don't know enough about Murphy's recent form to comment, but Murphy is a class act.
    Whichever one does not start would not bench... Paddy Wallace for me... I think that him outside of Sexton would be a nice pairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

The team I'd go with probably has zero chance of being selected, however.....

Healy
    Best
    Ross
    DOC
    Cullen
    Ferris
    SOB
    Heaslip

Stringer
    Sexton
    Fitzgerald
    D'Arcy
    BOD
    Bowe
    Murphy

Subs: Court, Cronin, Ryan, Leamy, Boss, ROG, Trimble/Earls(depending on how he gets on tonight)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Diom wrote: »
    Re: Cronin being part of a bad scrum (Irishbucsfan).
    Cronin came off at the same time as Hayes, allowing Court to switch to his stronger side, and Healy to come on with fresh legs. Cronin is a very good in the scrum.

Personally I've seen nothing to prove that so far. I've seen Cronin as part of a powerful scrum for Connacht, but I've also seen them beaten. It's impossible to make a judgement given that he was selected beside Hayes.

I would definitely start Best, he's shown his quality. We're playing the best team in the world tomorrow, and if there's any chance that Cronin was part of our problems last week, then we should go with what we know, or we could be embarrassed. I don't think Cronin has been overlooked by Kidney/Smals for so long for no reason.

BTW, Court was blown up constantly for infringements on the loose side. He's an experienced LH, who doesn't normally have anything like that kind of trouble for Ulster playing beside Best and Botha. People who say that TH is Court's "stronger side" are just plain wrong! That would lead me into thinking that Cronin may have been weak, allowing the TH to push in on him which would explain some of our difficulties.

Next week, against Argentina, I'd like to see 1) Healy 2) Cronin 3) Ross in the front row, and if we can compete against their scrum then I'd be more inclined to start Cronin in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

9 pages of team suggestions later, something like 25 different players suggested - (one bright spark even suggested Girvin Dempsey) but this quote still sums it up best for me......
    pithater1 wrote: »
    Having said that I cannnot see anything other than New Zealand doing us prison style :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Nuigforce

pithater1 wrote: »
    Having said that I cannnot see anything other than New Zealand doing us prison style :o
    :D:D:D

My shot at it
    1.Healy
    2.Best
    3.Court
    4.DOC
    5.Toner
    6.ferris
    7.SOB
    8.Heaslip
    9.Stringer
    10.Sexton
    11.Earls
    12.Drico
    13.Bowe
    14.Fitz
    15.Murphy

My guess/fear
    Healy
    Best
    Hayes:(
    Doc
    Toner
    Ferris
    Wallace
    heaslip
    Stringer
    Rog
    Fitz
    Darcy
    Drico
    Bowe
    Kearney

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Kidney's Selection [I think]
    1. C. Healy
    2. R. Best
    3. T. Court
    4. D. O'Callaghan
    5. M O'Driscoll
    6. S. Ferris
    7. D. Wallace
    8. J. Heaslip
    9. E. Reddan
    10. J. Sexton
    11. L. Fitzgerald
    12. G. D'Arcy
    13. B. O'Driscoll
    14. T. Bowe
    15. R. Kearney

16. S. Cronin
    17. J. Hayes
    18. D. Toner
    19. D. Leamy
    20. P. Stringer
    21. R. O'Gara
    22. K. Earls

My Selection
    1. C. Healy
    2. R. Best
    3. T. Court
    4. L. Cullen
    5. D. O'Callaghan
    6. S. Ferris
    7. D. Wallace
    8. J. Heaslip
    9. P. Stringer
    10. J. Sexton
    11. K. Earls
    12. G. D'Arcy
    13. B. O'Driscoll
    14. T. Bowe
    15. L. Fitzgerald

16. S. Cronin
    17. M. Ross
    18. D. Toner
    19. D. Leamy
    20. E. Reddan
    21. R. O'Gara
    22. A. Trimble

Front-Row: I think it has to be Court needs to start at TH. Even with Ross coming into my team, I don't think its fair on him to go straight into the starting 15 against the ABs.
    Locks: We need Cullen for the lineout and scrum, and we need DOC in the loose for his defense.
    Back-Row: SOB did not do enough to merit inclusion IMHO. I wish he had as I would have preferred a 7 in his mold, but Wallace gets the nod in that case.
    Half-Backs: I think Stringer needs to start. He will give Sexton some more time to hopefully get the backline into the game, taking some pressure off.
    Backs: We cannot afford to kick away possession and the ABs are not going to kick it to us, so picking Kearney is redundant for this game IMO.

Advertisement