Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Media Is A Joke

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

not looking so unsubsantiated now i guess.......apparently was leaked bt ECB to BBC et al. to force our government to smell the roses!

Interesting.

The only reason RTE are doing a turnaround is because they know they will definitely be sold by the IMF.
    I know a woman (neighbour) who works for RTE in Donnybrook. She told me there is a genuine sense of panic in there that they are/will be sold off and they will lose their jobs. She say's there is a lot of anger within the organisation towards the management and the way they have supported the government up until 10 day's ago when it was obvious FF/Green's had weeks not months left in government. She is not the sort to make up stories and i could tell from her voice she is 100% genuine.

Well, it SHOULD be sold off. If it means the end of the license fee, all the better. It's News and Current Affairs service is a disgrace, the rest of its output is either mediocre, downright sh1te, or else imported. We don't need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Just watching the news and Dobson is tearing into Lenihn,

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

allanb49 wrote: »

Not really, because he could have taken the gloves off with the 8astard on the ropes. Unfortunately he missed a wonderful chance to expose him for the gormless gob$hite he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

allanb49 wrote: »

If anybody has C4+1, John Snow will show you how to do it at 8.30. Interview with Dick Roche.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Until now, I never realised what it was like to be in some banana republic where the media was controlled by the government. Ireland in 2010 is comparable to the USSR pre 1989 where we have to depend on foreign news sources to understand whats happening in our own country!

"Come in here big boy, have a cigar, you're gonna go far....welcome to the machine"

• Advertisement

Interesting.

The only reason RTE are doing a turnaround is because they know they will definitely be sold by the IMF.

Well, it SHOULD be sold off. If it means the end of the license fee, all the better. It's News and Current Affairs service is a disgrace, the rest of its output is either mediocre, downright sh1te, or else imported. We don't need it.

IMF v RTE + TG4, now that'll be a real tearjerker battle. Time to bust all those Egoheads and Gombeens. TG4 what a joke and patent waste of public money. See report in Irish Times today (Business Pages).

Anybody see the Roche interview?

I thought comical Ali was bad.

Picture it. Roche was being interviewed with IIRC, the Four Courts in the background, denying there was a bail out.

Snow asks him "How can you deny there is a bail out when EU and IMF officials are sitting in offices behind you?"

Catch up - Channel4 News

It is there but I can't get it playing. I normally can get around the outside Britain thing, but my proxy is down.

It is downright disgraceful at this stage.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Here we go, get behind the sofas:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 thankswhore

I get all my news from the little golden tab that says "latest headlines" in my firefox browser. Im glad to see we're number 1!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

K-9 wrote: »
    Picture it. Roche was being interviewed with IIRC, the Four Courts in the background, denying there was a bail out.

It's a lovely shot of Dublin - but it's the Custom House rather than the Four Courts.

Interesting piece. Snowy was fairly restrained, I thought, but he got as much out of Dick Roche as anyone could.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Jesus Pat Rabbitte ripping Pat Carey several new holes. He's red in the face, go on the rabbitte, he's ready to slap Carey!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I thought he was going to start crying (Carey not Rabbitte).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Jesus Wept!

Has anyone heard Duffy lately...the man should be relieved of his duties asap for spreading Fianna Fail propaganda and denying we have problems as urgent as the times we now live in. Im suprised the treacherous weasel isnt being flogged in the streets.

And he can take that O'Brien and O'Reilly with him. Doing the Irish people a great diservice...

It's a lovely shot of Dublin - but it's the Custom House rather than the Four Courts.

Interesting piece. Snowy was fairly restrained, I thought, but he got as much out of Dick Roche as anyone could.

Yeah, very apt.
    Jesus Wept!

Has anyone heard Duffy lately...the man should be relieved of his duties asap for spreading Fianna Fail propaganda and denying we have problems as urgent as the times we now live in. Im suprised the treacherous weasel isnt being flogged in the streets.

And he can take that O'Brien and O'Reilly with him. Doing the Irish people a great diservice...

He's on the Late Debate on RTE Radio 1 spouting the same crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Wow, I'm really loving all the anti-irish sentiment in this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of irish media, but people don't seem to realise (or have chosen to forget) that, up to a few weeks ago, the international media was far more positive about Ireland than the Irish press was (which has been extremely, negative for the past few years).

The international media are no different to the Irish media. They are sensationalists. Many of them have jumped on the Irish media bandwagon of presenting the shocking end-of-the world scenario we now see. This will soon pass, and within a few days/weeks, Ireland will no longer be discussed and they will be fishing for the next country to attack.

With regard the Dick Roche interview, I think he did very well considering. With regards facts, firstly, that's not the four courts in the background. It's the Customs house. It is one of the most important landmarks in the country and very easy to recognise. Secondly, the IMF are not staying at the Four Courts, Customs house or anywhere near that. They are in the Merrion Hotel in Ballsbridge, which is several miles away. But, hey, never let accuracy or facts get in the way of some sensationalist irish/government-bashing.

dotsman wrote: »
    With regard the Dick Roche interview, I think he did very well considering. With regards facts, firstly, that's not the four courts in the background. It's the Customs house. It is one of the most important landmarks in the country and very easy to recognise. Secondly, the IMF are not staying at the Four Courts, Customs house or anywhere near that. They are in the Merrion Hotel in Ballsbridge, which is several miles away. But, hey, never let accuracy or facts get in the way of some sensationalist irish/government-bashing.

It's the "Custom House", not "Customs House" and mistaking it for the Four Courts has nothing to do with your last sentence.

Wow, I'm really loving all the anti-irish sentiment in this thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of irish media, but people don't seem to realise (or have chosen to forget) that, up to a few weeks ago, the international media was far more positive about Ireland than the Irish press was (which has been extremely, negative for the past few years).

The international media are no different to the Irish media. They are sensationalists. Many of them have jumped on the Irish media bandwagon of presenting the shocking end-of-the world scenario we now see. This will soon pass, and within a few days/weeks, Ireland will no longer be discussed and they will be fishing for the next country to attack.

Oh sorry, I was posting about the interview from memory, I amn't infallible.

But hey, pedantry is much more fun. Snow was correct, if you watch the video.

As for anti Irish. LOL Sounds like a FF'er and the mejia.

It's the "Custom House", not "Customs House" and mistaking it for the Four Courts has nothing to do with your last sentence.
    A Custom House and a Customs House are the same thing. It has everything to do with the last sentence. People are just saying whatever they want just to get a dig at "the government", Fianna Fail, the "bankers" etc, without a care in the world for accuracy.
    Oh sorry, I was posting about the interview from memory, I amn't infallible.
    You don't need to watch the video to see it. The image is right here on this page.
    Snow asks him "How can you deny there is a bail out when EU and IMF officials are sitting in offices behind you?"
    But hey, pedantry is much more fun. Snow was correct, if you watch the video.
    Correct about what exactly?
    As for anti Irish. LOL Sounds like a FF'er and the mejia.
    Brilliant, anybody who defends Ireland must be an "FF'er" or "the mejia" - and they are supposed to be bad things.

It would seem they are.

Apparently a ITN News reporter has got the scoop on Ireland and the EU bail out:

Dick Roche tells ITV News he thinks Irish bailout will happen tomorrow

All over P.ie and Twitter, based on an interview with Dick Roche.
    Any source for that?

Looking at the ITN website, I can't find anything about it. Just about 50 stories on some guy and some chick getting engaged. Sounds very reliable to me:D
    Well the guy who runs politics.ie picked up on it.

I suppose we'll know tomorrow how accurate it is.

P.S. Today is almost over. Care to comment on the accuracy of the international media now?

People are just saying whatever they want just to get a dig at "the government", Fianna Fail, the "bankers" etc, without a care in the world for accuracy.?

Well, that's a valid opinion.

Do you think Jon Snow was inaccurate in any way?

Well, that's a valid opinion.

Do you think Jon Snow was inaccurate in any way?

If you want get into pedantics, there were some minor inaccuracies. But the one word i would use to describe Jon Snow's questions/statements is "spin".

Considering he was interviewing a politician, you would expect the politician to be the bigger spinner, but in this case, it was the journalist.

• Advertisement

Fail to see what exactly Jon Snow destroyed? Yes, Dick Roche was being Dick Roche, but I thought he handled the Q's well.

If you want get into pedantics, there were some minor inaccuracies. But the one word i would use to describe Jon Snow's questions/statements is "spin".

Considering he was interviewing a politician, you would expect the politician to be the bigger spinner, but in this case, it was the journalist.

Often that's the case with TV journalists who are celebrities in their own right, but that interview didn't strike me as one of those.

I wonder if you're confusing "spin" with "angle"? What was Snow's hidden agenda, other than seeking the truth?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Bosco boy

sorry hadn't time to read anyones posts just the thread heading, but in my opinion the media are lazy and unprofessional, in the pockets of politicans for years, financed over the last 10 years by the property pages of their papers from developers anglo type unlimited funds, editors and journalists are in the gutters where they belong!

A Custom House and a Customs House are the same thing. It has everything to do with the last sentence. People are just saying whatever they want just to get a dig at "the government", Fianna Fail, the "bankers" etc, without a care in the world for accuracy.

You don't need to watch the video to see it. The image is right here on this page.

Correct about what exactly?

Brilliant, anybody who defends Ireland must be an "FF'er" or "the mejia" - and they are supposed to be bad things.

P.S. Today is almost over. Care to comment on the accuracy of the international media now?

Wasn't paying that much attention to the image, I was trying to find the video to post it. If you want to argue about what building it is, when it is blatantly obvious it is irrelevant to the discussion, fair enough.

He is correct in saying the EU/IMF are in Dublin to negotiate a bail out. Roche is arguing semantics, which obviously appeals to some.

As for the mejia, it is classic FF spin, blame the mejia.

The tweet was correct. We all know why they are here. Pretending otherwise is pedantry.

Yes, Dick Roche was being Dick Roche, but I thought he handled the Q's well.

Sorry, I can't reconcile those 2 lines.

Advertisement