Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Media Is A Joke

Options
  • 14-11-2010 2:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭

Until now, I never realised what it was like to be in some banana republic where the media was controlled by the government. Ireland in 2010 is comparable to the USSR pre 1989 where we have to depend on foreign news sources to understand whats happening in our own country!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Welcome to reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

All media is a joke.. those great foreign news sources were making unsubstantiated claims about our future yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

A question, short story or depiction of a situation told with the intent of being funny, now that's a joke

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

All media is a joke.. those great foreign news sources were making unsubstantiated claims about our future yesterday
    Exactly, the whole concept of MSM worldwide is about control. You are told what they want you to be told.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

On another thread somebody thinks we shouldn't receive BBC either.

American media isn't great either so it's Al Jazeera for me.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

K-9 wrote: »
    ...it's Al Jazeera for me.

...Back in your cave Bin Laden! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

Im not in Ireland at the moment myself so all Im exposed to are international news channels (nothing from Ireland or Britain) - Its all doom and gloom on this end which I couldnt believe because Ireland would need to melt into the Atlantic for anyone over here to give even a whiff about us but its plastered everywhere....

When I call home, nobody knows what Im talking about or understand the importance of it...RTE not reporting things etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

This is actually confusing me at the moment, I've been away for the last 2 years and outside of the net, hadn't seen any of the Irish papers. Now, from what I'd read around here, it seemed that all the media are simply mouth pieces for the government yet, upon returning and picking up a newspaper, all I see is article after article tearing stripes out of the government. Now, has something changed in the last month or so, are people referring to specific publications and/or shows or were people just talking ****e?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

so its all totally untrue is it ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Im not in Ireland at the moment myself so all Im exposed to are international news channels (nothing from Ireland or Britain) - Its all doom and gloom on this end which I couldnt believe because Ireland would need to melt into the Atlantic for anyone over here to give even a whiff about us but its plastered everywhere....

When I call home, nobody knows what Im talking about or understand the importance of it...RTE not reporting things etc...

Everyone I know in Ireland knows about it, it's heavily reported in the news, and on current affairs problems. Everyone is pissed off and angry.

I think you need more informed friends.

• Advertisement

gizmo wrote: »
    This is actually confusing me at the moment, I've been away for the last 2 years and outside of the net, hadn't seen any of the Irish papers. Now, from what I'd read around here, it seemed that all the media are simply mouth pieces for the government yet, upon returning and picking up a newspaper, all I see is article after article tearing stripes out of the government. Now, has something changed in the last month or so, are people referring to specific publications and/or shows or were people just talking ****e?
    In general, RTE I've found (...and I could be wrong) tends to side BIG time with FF.
    Occasionally they offer up Primetime (presenters being sometimes known FF supporters, keep in mind) and other such material that appears to question our ministers and/or their policies* - but RTE news alone seems to be consistently spinning the latest FF propaganda more so than actually reporting with equal air time, the views/actions/policies of any opposition.

The newspapers however don't have to rely on the government having the power and control of the TV licence fee for their revenue so they tend to be a bit more free in their vocalisation of opposition to the current lot!

* Even Russia and China off political questioning programmes too like RTE but they too are done within certain boundaries of where they are allowed really go or how hard to push!

And some of our politicians dont approve of the internet!!
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056088536

From the same donkey
    http://greenparty.newsweaver.ie/c1caw0ef5s7nagng2rkjst

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

gizmo wrote: »

I think it depends on the journalist in some cases but some newsbodies can be clearly seen to lean one way or another. Regardless of that however they all have to criticise the government a bit, they would lose all credibility if they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

danbohan wrote: »

I don't know, and neither do they. Which is why they keep referring to it all as rumor and mentioning 'correspondents' without actually naming any of them. It's all speculation atm, and that isn't good journalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭PCros

danbohan wrote: »

It is yeah

IMF: Ireland are grand they can get by alone
    EU: No application for bailout received
    Cowen: We didnt apply for a bailout

BBC: Ireland are fúcked
    Sky: Ireland are fúcked
    Bloomberg: Ireland are fúcked etc etc

Who do we believe the media or the actually parties involved?

PCros wrote: »
    It is yeah

Im inclined to side with the credibility of Reuters than whatever comes out of Cowens incoherant ramblings..

Im inclined to side with the credibility of Reuters than whatever comes out of Cowens incoherent ramblings..
    Same here to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jericho.

Until now, I never realised what it was like to be in some banana republic where the media was controlled by the government. Ireland in 2010 is comparable to the USSR pre 1989 where we have to depend on foreign news sources to understand whats happening in our own country!

This isn't news and if it was they wouldn't report it anyways!

Im inclined to side with the credibility of Reuters than whatever comes out of Cowens incoherant ramblings..

I know but when you have the IMF and EU backing up Cowens statement its hard not to believe.

I know but when you have the IMF and EU backing up Cowens statement its hard not to believe.
    The flip side of that argument is that they are not going to admit that there is quiet talks - for the sake alone of upsetting financial markets and the forth coming new bonds possibly issued in the new year.

Honestly? I don't know who's telling the truth - but I do know, time will tell and someone is going to have egg on their face (again?).

Who is more used to having egg on their face!

• Advertisement

Well, one side is telling porkies...

However, any kind of deal with the IMF-EU, as a matter of fact, would require a referendum laid out by the Irish constitution. Articles 1, 5 and 29 specifically, are in direct opposition to the proposed bailout with IMF interferance.

Biggins wrote: »
    Who is more used to having egg on their face!

True...I just hope to god this time they dodge it so to speak.

True...I just hope to god this time they dodge it so to speak.
    They better not take dodging lessons from Harney then! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Must have missed this? Which great foreign news source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭danbohan

It is yeah

check out greece week or so before the got bailout , same story denial by everybody, i am much more inclined to believe Reuters, bbc , bloomberg , than any of the 3 options you mentioned

Must have missed this? Which great foreign news source?
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056089240

So apparently Cowen is furious that foreign news sources are letting us in on a few details...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

In general, RTE I've found (...and I could be wrong) tends to side BIG time with FF.
    This I haven't really seen so far. What I have seen is them reporting on what the government are actually saying at which point, unfortunately, they add very little opinion to it. What they could of course do is examine these statements but again, you'd have a situation whereby those doing so could put their own spin on it.
    Occasionally they offer up Primetime (presenters being sometimes known FF supporters, keep in mind) and other such material that appears to question our ministers and/or their policies* - but RTE news alone seems to be consistently spinning the latest FF propaganda more so than actually reporting with equal air time, the views/actions/policies of any opposition.
    Primetime does seem overly tolerant alright but on the other hand I think Frontline come across as the other side of the spectrum.

As for reporting on the opposition side of things, well any time FG or Labour have said anything worthwhile, and by that I mean anything more than pointless bluster, it's been reported on. This in turn is usually presented in the same manner as the government's announcements so I don't really see the problem.

Overall I guess it boils down to how you take the news in general, personally I don't take any of it at face value and prefer to take in a variety of sources in order to build a picture of what's really going on. If you don't subscribe to that logic of course then I can see why you'd be more miffed.
    I think it depends on the journalist in some cases but some newsbodies can be clearly seen to lean one way or another. Regardless of that however they all have to criticise the government a bit, they would lose all credibility if they didn't.
    Well that I can clearly see, at the level of the individual journalist there are some who clearly lean one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Frontline, news at one (radio) and Morning Ireland, are excellent and impartial.

Tubridy, Duffy, Finucane, and Miriam, are a joke in terms of their lack of impartiality.

It boils down to this, RTE is the only semi state that has not seen major change in recent years, and is insulated from real world economics.

It is the ruling party that hold the purse strings, and RTE know that, and are intertwined in it.

FF do not have the moral compass to allow RTE true impartiality, they criticised Pat Kenny and his team only two weeks ago for having the temerity to criticise the government on Frontline.

• Advertisement
Advertisement