Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you feel men tend to view women as sex objects, less as people?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Well to be fair, it has been pointed out exhaustively that the men don't have a problem with it, but yeah, if you reversed the roles and the women didn't have a problem with it, it seems it might still be deemed unacceptable. Depends on the touching though - touching someone's arm or shoulder or something versus touching e.g. someone's ass.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dudess wrote: »
    Do they know about the lists? I'm sorry but I find that kinda underhand and teenage - if it's literally a list each.

Women being leery, like a bunch of them at a strip show - I don't see much of that behaviour in my social circles at all. Ditto men.

It's not like we have a notepad each where we write down our lists :rolleyes:. It's the kind of thing that comes up during a quiet working day; "Who's your favourite boy" etc. The boys are well aware, and we're well aware that they have their own preferences amongst the female staff. We all know because we all joke about it.

I fail to see how it's "underhand" or "teenage". Are you honestly claiming that you and your friends have never discussed who you think is good looking out of a group of men? At a bar, you see a group of guys, none of you would say "that guy in the middle is hot"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭Feeona

It's sexual harrassment, simple as, but because it is directed towards males as opposed to females its considered to be just a laugh which is the point I was trying to make

Faith didn't say anything in her post about women being harrassed, so how do you know she thinks that harrassment towards males is considered a laugh, while harrassment towards women is considered unacceptable?

Course we would. What you're describing seems like veering more in the direction of a bunch of women at a strip show though - or schoolgirls. It's unusual, never heard of it as extreme as that - just run of the mill flirting. No need to get so defensive either, just my opinion, even if it's not one you like.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Dudess wrote: »
    Course we would. What you're describing seems like veering more in the direction of a bunch of women at a strip show though - or schoolgirls. It's unusual, never heard of it as extreme as that - just run of the mill flirting. No need to get so defensive either, just my opinion, even if it's not one you like.

Perhaps I've described it wrong then. It's not like we hoot at the guys and holler "TAKE IT OFF!". It's just overt flirting imo. We tell them when they look nice, or jokingly ask them out for a drink. Or when they're not there, we'll chat and say "X is gorgeous looking, but Y is my favourite because he makes me laugh". It's absolutely nothing like women at a strip show :confused:. It's nothing out of the ordinary either, nothing every group of women (and men) don't discuss from time to time. Perhaps it looks balder than it is when it's written down, and not spoken.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Gerry Manderer

Feeona wrote: »
    Faith didn't say anything in her post about women being harrassed, so how do you know she thinks that harrassment towards males is considered a laugh, while harrassment towards women is considered unacceptable?

Yeah true enough I made that inference based on what what she was saying about men but perhaps her wayward view of what actually defines harassment extends to women also

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Alright, can we keep this thread on topic, and not ignore warnings posted already.
    If you want to discuss the difference between the genders then Humanities would be more suited.

Thanks.

Sorry Faith, I obviously did pick you up wrongly.

Advertisement