Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Palin Hints at Presidential Run

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭EastTexas

InTheTrees wrote: »
    You mean it wouldn't make a bit of difference to you.

Politically she speaks for the tea party. She is its loudest voice. She did run for vice president after all.

If she makes a gaffe, it embarrasses the tea party and will affect membership.

Look how you're distancing yourself from her...

I did not vote for the McCain/ Palin ticket, primarily because IMHO MCCain doesn’t have “the right stuff” to be president, confirmed by him picking Palin for expedience.
    And because he’s known to throw temper tantrums when he doesn’t get his way.
    Not a desirable trait for man with his finger on the button in a volatile world.

Obama even though incredibly inexperienced seamed like the better choice just by his demeanor and ability to handle difficult situations with calm and thoughtfulness.
    Personally satisfying for me also, because I consider his election to the presidency the crowning jewel of our long fought civil rights movement.
    But did not vote for him because of that… No affirmative action sentiments on my part.

Palin has a big mouth and a most peculiar “speaky speak”, with her odd timing and making up words, I chalk that up to individuality and on basic values and principle issues she is mostly fine, though admittedly some of it does come out sounding funny.

To me it doesn’t matter that she went to 5 different colleges, she is still a self-made woman and got to the Governorship on her own merits, by pulling herself up by her bootstraps and that I do respect.
    You could never accuse her of being lazy and as Governor she enjoyed a high approval rating, doing a good job for her state by working with others including Democrats in a bipartisan fashion.
    But that’s where her bandwidth ends.
    She is simply out of her element on the national and international stage of complex politics.
    But that is no excuse for all the hate against her and her family, the shear viciousness and snide from the left.
    Yet she did not break under that enormous pressure, in fact made the best of it and thereby incurs even more attacks and slander on her family.
    Probably unintentional, she has single-handedly managed to expose how deep the capacity of hatred on the left runs for us all to see.
    It appears that a whole wing of the Democratic Party is now suffering collectively from “Palin derangement syndrome” increasingly clouding their judgment.
    Almost like Palin injected them with some strange worm causing their gears to strip at the mere mention of her name.

The Teaparty rose up without her, but clever as she is hung her wagon that train.
    It was the success of candidates popular within the Tea Party movement that boosted Sarah Palin's continued visibility but not the other way around as frequently claimed by the left who quickly declared her the symbolic leader of the movement to discredit it which then also subsequently back fired.
    But on policy and in-depth understanding of the issues, she couldn’t pass Rand Paul who I am a big fan of the water.
    Perhaps we in the Teaparty just don’t discriminate as much against individuality and the style flaws of the regular folks.
    Which so far has served us very well with the approach of local politics positively affecting national politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭kaiser sauze

She is not "hated by the left" she is just called a stupid bimbo, because she is and because having a moron like her one heart-attack away from the Presidency is too much for those with a well formed prefrontal cortex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

I actually agree with a lot of East Texas' previous post, and am now looking out of my window for flying pigs. ;)

Calling Palin a "stupid bimbo" is sexist and counter-productive and only feeds her and her supporters' sense of grievance. As I have said before on this forum, I don't think she is stupid, but she is definitely - and defiantly - ignorant. There are a lot of conservatives who wanted to support her as a great American political success story: she made it politically (albeit in a demographically tiny state) on her own, not because of dynastic politics; she managed to have a family and a career, and she is telegenic to boot. But her refusal to bone up on economic policy and foreign affairs, to work on media relations, and to put the good of the party before her own personal political ambitions have destroyed a lot of that goodwill.

That said, she seems perfectly happy to keep preaching to the rapidly shrinking choir and collecting checks from her various media enterprises, so more power to her. While I was hoping that she would be the 2012 GOP nominee, thus virtually guaranteeing Obama's re-election, it looks increasingly unlikely that this will be the case. But I am sure she will provide us with a few more cringe-inducing moments before her final exit from the national political stage.

I actually agree with a lot of East Texas' previous post, and am now looking out of my window for flying pigs. ;)

WHOOSH!
    Calling Palin a "stupid bimbo" is sexist and counter-productive and only feeds her and her supporters' sense of grievance.

OK, how about I call her a gun-totting-non-newspaper reading-'violence inciting rhetoric spewing'-stupid-bimbo?
    As I have said before on this forum, I don't think she is stupid, but she is definitely - and defiantly - ignorant.

She IS stupid and she is ignorant.

She is being controlled by puppetmasters who will discard her once she no longer serves their purpose.
    There are a lot of conservatives who wanted to support her as a great American political success story: she made it politically (albeit in a demographically tiny state) on her own, not because of dynastic politics; she managed to have a family and a career, and she is telegenic to boot.

WOAH!

Politician has a family and career, noone has ever done that before her!
    But her refusal to bone up on economic policy and foreign affairs, to work on media relations, and to put the good of the party before her own personal political ambitions have destroyed a lot of that goodwill.

How can a dingbat brush up on highbrow topics that she was never aware of before August 2008?
    That said, she seems perfectly happy to keep preaching to the rapidly shrinking choir and collecting checks from her various media enterprises, so more power to her. While I was hoping that she would be the 2012 GOP nominee, thus virtually guaranteeing Obama's re-election, it looks increasingly unlikely that this will be the case. But I am sure she will provide us with a few more cringe-inducing moments before her final exit from the national political stage.

I'll get the popcorn, will you get the drinks?

OK, how about I call her a gun-totting-non-newspaper reading-'violence inciting rhetoric spewing'-stupid-bimbo?

My problem is with the term 'bimbo', which I think is inappropriate generally, but especially in this case.
    She is being controlled by puppetmasters who will discard her once she no longer serves their purpose.

Actually, I think the bigger problem with her is that she is essentially uncontrollable. Anyone interested in her political success would not have let her release that bizarre video in the wake of the Arizona shootings.
    Politician has a family and career, noone has ever done that before her!

Given how prevalent dynastic politics are, especially for women candidates, I think it is noteworthy that she has essentially made it on her own.

• Advertisement

Calling Palin a "stupid bimbo" is sexist and counter-productive and only feeds her and her supporters' sense of grievance. As I have said before on this forum, I don't think she is stupid, but she is definitely - and defiantly - ignorant. There are a lot of conservatives who wanted to support her as a great American political success story: she made it politically (albeit in a demographically tiny state) on her own, not because of dynastic politics; she managed to have a family and a career, and she is telegenic to boot. But her refusal to bone up on economic policy and foreign affairs, to work on media relations, and to put the good of the party before her own personal political ambitions have destroyed a lot of that goodwill.

Much obliged Rosie, if I may call you that.
    But, you’re still overlooking something.
    Sarah Palin epitomizes the great American success story, like so many before her.
    The American dream…
    Come as you are and be who you want to be, regardless of privilege, ancestry, hierarchy, pedigree and education or even luck of thereof.

You work hard enough, don’t make to many stupid decisions and granted with a bit of luck, you stand a pretty good chance to get where you wanna be or at least reach your potential.
    You just got to want it bad enough.

I’ll wager if born and residing in Europe she’d most likely just be an average woman toiling along, being held back by her lack of pedigree (criterion established by the ruling class) regardless how much she kicked worked to climb up that ladder.
    Whether that is a good or a bad thing is for each his own to decide.

But the fact remains that it is precisely the very reason so many, millions from all over the globe try to come to the US.
    Not for welfare, we don’t offer much
    Not for security/ government provided safety net.
    Not because it’s all milk and honey and so easy, which most certainly it is not.

But for the opportunity, the chance, self-determination.
    The possibility to get out of your sweat what you put in, if not a whole lot more.
    With no bureaucrat allowed to stand in your way and tell that you ain’t good enough to even try based on creed, color, ancestry and education or any other fufu criterion.
    It’s up to you.

She is what she is, it doesn’t matter if some or even many object if not hate her for it.
    The system works beautifully.
    She was rejected as Vice President and will IMHO never ever hold elected office again.
    Reality show, talking head …perfect.
    She found her grove.

EastTexas wrote: »
    I’ll wager if born and residing in Europe she’d most likely just be an average woman toiling along, being held back by her lack of pedigree (criterion established by the ruling class) regardless how much she kicked worked to climb up that ladder.

Words fail me.

You are saying here that Europe has not got the opportunities that The US does. Such stupidity should be QFT to avoid sneaky edits.
    But the fact remains that it is precisely the very reason so many, millions from all over the globe try to come to the US.
    Not because it’s all milk and honey and so easy, which most certainly it is not.

How many of those people are skilled legal immigrants as opposed to unskilled illegal immigrants?

I know many people emigrating this year, none of them are going to The US, it was never even on their radar. All skilled.
    She is what she is, it doesn’t matter if some or even many object if not hate her for it.
    She was rejected as Vice President and will IMHO never ever hold elected office again.
    She found her grove.

The fact that you were even prepared to accept that this nutjob made it to the ballot paper shows how insufferably low a threshold for public office that right wingers have.

The hickest, most bigoted, most illiterate, biggest bible thumping moron is acceptable to you?

Much obliged Rosie, if I may call you that.
    But, you’re still overlooking something.
    Sarah Palin epitomizes the great American success story, like so many before her.
    The American dream…
    Come as you are and be who you want to be, regardless of privilege, ancestry, hierarchy, pedigree and education or even luck of thereof.

You work hard enough, don’t make to many stupid decisions and granted with a bit of luck, you stand a pretty good chance to get where you wanna be or at least reach your potential.
    You just got to want it bad enough.

But for the opportunity, the chance, self-determination.
    The possibility to get out of your sweat what you put in, if not a whole lot more.
    With no bureaucrat allowed to stand in your way and tell that you ain’t good enough to even try based on creed, color, ancestry and education or any other fufu criterion.
    It’s up to you.

She found her grove.

I don't get this post. And I don't think you can make such sweeping claims about "Europe". Not every European country has a huge welfare state, and the countries with large welfare states generally have higher levels of social mobility.

For anyone who is in any doubt as to how unqualified, and more importantly, how unacceptable it is for Sarah Palin to even have made it to the ticket, have a read of this.
    McLeod filed many of the ethics complaints against Palin and has suffered the “backlash” Sarah Palin called for against those citizens who filed ethics complaints, such as late night phone calls warning her to back off of Sarah Palin, threatening that the caller knew where McLeod lived. Palin has disparagingly referred to McLeod (she is of Armenian descent, born in Lebanon) as the “falafel woman” in her book, “Going Rogue,” as well as someone “with a political vendetta bent on personal destruction.” Palin consistently dishonestly refers to Andree McLeod as part of a “leftist” agenda against her, when in fact, McLeod is not only a Republican who once ran for office under the Republican ticket, but someone once credited with “making Sarah Palin".

It goes to show how things work in EastTexas' mind if this 'gal' is OK.

I don't get this post. And I don't think you can make such sweeping claims about "Europe". Not every European country has a huge welfare state, and the countries with large welfare states generally have higher levels of social mobility.

No problem
    I neither expect nor need you to “get” my posts. :)

Do you then contend IYHO that Sarah Palin would have enjoyed the same or equal success in Europe as in upward mobility with the same effort, at least to the Governorship?

• Advertisement

Do you then contend IYHO that Sarah Palin would have enjoyed the same or equal success in Europe as in upward mobility with the same effort, at least to the Governorship?

That's a non-question.

She would have got nowhere in politics in Europe as we are smart enough to see through her folksy-hockey-mom shtick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

If shes does get elected hopefully she can bring the US even closer to it's longtime friend and ally North Korea. :pac:

The taught of her anywhere near presidency and the power she will have frankly scares the shít out of me.

RMD wrote: »
    If shes does get elected hopefully she can bring the US even closer to it's longtime friend and ally North Korea. :pac:

The taught of her anywhere near presidency and the power she will have frankly scares the shít out of me.

No worries, that’s about as likely as for a horse to take up knitting. :D

No problem
    I neither expect nor need you to “get” my posts. :)

Considering that the chancellor of Europe's most powerful country is the daughter of a pastor who started her career as a scientist, I would say that a woman from a humble, non-political background can reach higher office in Europe.

Would Sarah Palin get elected? Hell no.

Well, maybe in Italy. ;)

Considering that the chancellor of Europe's most powerful country is the daughter of a pastor who started her career as a scientist, I would say that a woman from a humble, non-political background can reach higher office in Europe.

Would Sarah Palin get elected? Hell no.

Well, maybe in Italy. ;)

Never mind the “appointed” Chancellor of Germany.
    Appointment mechanism
    Elected by secret ballot in the Bundestag/ 622 members, but not elected by the people/voters around 80 million.
    Unlike the American voter, the German voter has to make do with whoever the political elite 622 member decide for them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chancellor_of_Germany_%28Federal_Republic%29#Appointment_mechanism
    I can’t believe you conflate two so vastly different political systems.

Her politics and policies are very unpopular in Germany since they mostly serve German cooperation, bragging about their record profits in shiny statistic at the expense of the people.
    If those 80 million Germans had a say so via vote, they most certainly would not vote for her.
    http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/01/13/she-cant-seem-to-get-it-right/
    All aside of the fact that many of Germany’s fellow EU countries have not fared very well either under that “ influence”.
    You have put the wrong person on a pedestal here in more ways than one.

Back to topic
    I did not limit my question to elections but asked whether you thought that Sarah Palin would be as successful in Europe as she is in the US, this question pertaining to upward mobility.

Whether the same opportunities would be open to her and her family to make their life happen?

Appointment mechanism
    Elected by secret ballot in the Bundestag/ 622 members, but not elected by the people/voters around 80 million.
    Unlike the American voter, the German voter has to make do with whoever the political elite 622 member decide for them
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chancellor_of_Germany_%28Federal_Republic%29#Appointment_mechanism

Her politics and policies are very unpopular in Germany since they mostly serve German cooperation, bragging about their record profits in shiny statistic at the expense of the people.
    If those 80 million Germans had a say so via vote, they most certainly would not vote for her.
    http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/01/13/she-cant-seem-to-get-it-right/
    All aside of the fact that many of Germany’s fellow EU countries have not fared very well either under that “ influence”.
    You have put the wrong person on a pedestal here in more ways than one.

Back to topic
    I did not limit my question to elections but asked whether you thought that Sarah Palin would be as successful in Europe as she is in the US, this question pertaining to upward mobility.

Whether the same opportunities would be open to her and her family to make their life happen?

And the OECD link I prodived above suggests that her family's economic mobility would be greater in most Western European countries, especially those with large welfare states, than in the US.

As for Germany, it is absurd to dismiss Angela Merkel as "appointed". In a parliamentary system, the head of government is not directly elected by the population. And in those countries (like Ireland) where the head of state is directly elected, they have little to no real power. Angela Merkel is the head of her party, an elected official from her district, and governs with the consent of a coalition that was directly elected. She is the most powerful politician in Germany and in in Europe. To discount her as an example of European social mobility is ridiculous.

You have an unfortunate tendency to change the subject and/or the goalposts when confronted with clear, direct evidence that what you are saying is simply not true. The data on economic and social mobility in Europe versus the US is quite clear, and the electoral experiences of female politicians in Europe suggests that it is possible to reach top political office without coming from a political dynasty or having a wealthy background. The current president of Ireland, Mary McAllese, is a clear example of this.

Appointment mechanism

More lies.

Merkel is elected to her district-by the people-, and is then subsequently elected-by representatives who themselves have been elected-to the Chancellorship.

You are showing yourself to be an exceptionally ill-informed person.

Oh, and I know you will ignore this as the truth hurts you so much. :)

And the OECD link I prodived above suggests that her family's economic mobility would be greater in most Western European countries, especially those with large welfare states, than in the US.

As for Germany, it is absurd to dismiss Angela Merkel as "appointed". In a parliamentary system, the head of government is not directly elected by the population. And in those countries (like Ireland) where the head of state is directly elected, they have little to no real power. Angela Merkel is the head of her party, an elected official from her district, and governs with the consent of a coalition that was directly elected. She is the most powerful politician in Germany and in in Europe. To discount her as an example of European social mobility is ridiculous.

You have an unfortunate tendency to change the subject and/or the goalposts when confronted with clear, direct evidence that what you are saying is simply not true. The data on economic and social mobility in Europe versus the US is quite clear, and the electoral experiences of female politicians in Europe suggests that it is possible to reach top political office without coming from a political dynasty or having a wealthy background. The current president of Ireland, Mary McAllese, is a clear example of this.

If you’re unclear about the German political and election system, you can also google it as there is much information.
    Changing the goal post?
    Hello, who brought up the German Chancellor? :)

Your link to the French organizing OECD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_for_Economic_Co-operation_and_Development
    Provides little to the topic or my question to you about Sarah Palin.
    Upward mobility is also dependant on values, preferences and lifestyles of any given culture and geography in a particular country.
    For example Germany offers plenty of cheep beer, milk and food but sports 2000, - plus for a driver’s license and 8,- a gallon gas.
    Where we in the states we pay more for food, milk and alcohol, but even the poorest schmuck can get a driver’s license for around 40, - and around 3, - gas.
    It would be safe to say that the average American considers independent transportation to be more important to upward mobility than cheep food and alcohol.

It’s not a question of what is better or Europe vs the US but what individual people or voters prioritize depending on their environment and goals.
    The access to the tools they need to gain their upward mobility.

And you don’t have to answer the ON Topic question.
    No answer is also an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

More lies.

Merkel is elected to her district-by the people-, and is then subsequently elected-by representatives who themselves have been elected-to the Chancellorship.

You are showing yourself to be an exceptionally ill-informed person.

Oh, and I know you will ignore this as the truth hurts you so much. :)
    This is veering into personal abuse. Less of that.

If you’re unclear about the German political and election system, you can also google it as there is much information.
    Changing the goal post?
    Hello, who brought up the German Chancellor? :)

Your link to the French organizing OECD
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_for_Economic_Co-operation_and_Development
    Provides little to the topic or my question to you about Sarah Palin.
    Upward mobility is also dependant on values, preferences and lifestyles of any given culture and geography in a particular country.
    For example Germany offers plenty of cheep beer, milk and food but sports 2000, - plus for a driver’s license and 8,- a gallon gas.
    Where we in the states we pay more for food, milk and alcohol, but even the poorest schmuck can get a driver’s license for around 40, - and around 3, - gas.
    It would be safe to say that the average American considers independent transportation to be more important to upward mobility than cheep food and alcohol.

It’s not a question of what is better or Europe vs the US but what individual people or voters prioritize depending on their environment and goals.
    The access to the tools they need to gain their upward mobility.

And you don’t have to answer the ON Topic question.
    No answer is also an answer.

What part of the German electoral system have either SSR or I got wrong?

On another note, is anyone else even able to read this mumbo jumbo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

On another note, is anyone else even able to read this mumbo jumbo?

No it was all malformed sentences and gobbledegook to me too.

Advertisement