Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Palin Hints at Presidential Run

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭tommyboyle

Back in 2000 I was still a republican. Back then an American had the option of being a moderate. Sadly that time has past. I am thirty years old and finally switched parties. There is no such thing as a moderate republican who has any chance of election outside his congressional district. Even the Senate, a state wide election (sorry for the explanation but maybe at least one person may have needed it), a moderate has little to no chance. The democrats arent alot better but in this party I can agree with politicians. We need a third party. Will never happen on a grand scale. Whats sad is the dems are getting blamed because they could not fix the rebs mistakes fast enough. Obama has been there three years. What do people expect. I believe it was Winston Churchill who said 'The greatest arguement against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter. What did my countrymen expect in three years. Sorry to invade your website but I think the best way to see yourself is through the eyes of others. And since Im two generations removed by my mom's and dad's family from ireland, Id figured I would start with you guys

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

I have to agree with you Tommy. I mildly supported the Repubs in the mid 90's but the whole witch hunt of Clinton and the impeachment was a joke. The whole party has really gone whacko and has gotten worse since. Look at John McCain. He was once a noble politician but even he turned bitter in order to get the republican nomination. Obama must be delighted at the prospect of facing Palin in the election again.

Father, I agree with you 100%. The change in McCain's politics was most disheartening. In 2000 I thought he would make the finest leader available. Unfortunatly the south still saw a papist and became scared of his moderate leanings. In 08 he changed everything and became the poster boy for the Rush Limbaugh fan club. His catholicism was also neutralised by his competition being a mormon. We was a true American hero, down to his very core. How sad. I would have loved for the 2000 version to be the face of my nation.
    Beware of Sara Palin. She puts on the woman next door facade but she is truly brilliant. Do not underestimate her and her followers. Recently republicans were taking shots at her; all anonymous. They are afraid of her. She is doing exactly what she needs to do to have people imagine her as people just like her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

tommyboyle wrote: »
    Beware of Sara Palin. She puts on the woman next door facade but she is truly brilliant. Do not underestimate her and her followers. Recently republicans were taking shots at her; all anonymous. They are afraid of her. She is doing exactly what she needs to do to have people imagine her as people just like her.
    Not sure that "brilliant" defines Sarah Palin based upon Troopergate, the Bridge to Nowhere, quitting governor half-way through her first term, or her campaign interviews, but both the GOP and Democrats are clearly underestimating her chances for 2012 given the sad economic condition of the nation. She has established "celebrity" status, which, if I recall from the 2008 elections, was a GOP criticism of Obama during his campaign.

"Celebrity" status does not qualify someone for office, but it has worked in the past to get unqualified persons into governorships; e.g., Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura.

And Sarah Palin clearly has celebrity status, especially after her successful launch of "Sarah Palin's Alaska:"
    "Alaska" averaged 4.96 million total viewers and a 3.5 household rating, becoming the top debut in network history in both, surpassing the 2003 launch of "What Not to Wear."

Among adults 25-54, the show drew 1.8 million viewers, including 1.1 million women, while 1.6 million adults 18-49 tuned in.

"Alaska" is not the most-watched program in TLC history, however. During the height of their tabloid-fueled breakup a year and a half ago, "Jon and Kate Plus 8" drew more than 10.6 million viewers.

Source: http://www.medialifemagazine.com/artman2/publish/Cable_20/Sockeroo-debut-for-Sarah-Palin-s-Alaska-.asp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

5 million / 300 million = A neglibable share of the population.

Sarah Palin is a crude literary manifestation of all that is currently wrong with America, if the modern world were but one great play. It is the duty of the American people to protect their supremacy for the next century - a Palin Presidency would cement the idiocracy we are all worrying about. Frankly if she gets elected we'd better start learning how to speak Indian and Chinese.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

The Sarah Palin "celebrity" 2012 presidential machine marches on and on. She is now coining words for the New Oxford American Dictionary. Language errors are now transformed into Palin poetry.
    Sarah Palin has officially changed the modern lexicon, one tweet at a time. While one might expect the New Oxford American Dictionary to refudiate the former Alaska governor’s favorite verb, today they embraced it, announcing “refudiate” as the official 2010 word of the year.

Source: http://blogs.abcnews.com/thenote/2010/11/congratulations-sarah-palin-refudiate-named-word-of-the-year.html

While on the home front, Bristol Palin has made it into the “Dancing with the Stars” finale, surviving last night’s last regular-season elimination. Some claim that:

"She (Bristol Palin) is evidently clearly inferior to the other contestants, but Sarah Palin fans keep on voting her in not because of her greater talent but as a tribute to her <derogatory word> mom. Evidently, they're making a political point."

Source: http://www.huliq.com/10473/bristol-over-brandy-tea-party-conspiracy-dancing-stars

Brilliant may not be the perfect word for Pali but she knows exactly whats she's doing. If by some curse of satan she holds office could you make room for my family. Seriously. I dont see her getting elected or even not really running. She has a pretty sweet deal going on and could make tons of cash as lobbyist with the pull she has. Obama will win another turn thanks especially to the tea partyers. She will split the rebublican party. There are those rebs who beleive the nation needs a leader who cares only for jesus, guns, and hating homosexuals. That is all she is. What America has to do is stop being cowboys of the world. Keep our armed forces its current size and mind our own business. Which includes our nato alliances. If some nation attacks the emerald isle, I am all for dropping the American hammer on anyone dumn enough to try that. Especially a nation where 25% of its citizens identifies themselves as irish american. Aside from that bring our boys home. I am an american air force vet and served proudly. Fighting for a just cause is ideal not so some fatcats can get richer. Overexpansion killed the Roman Empire. We are no where near that but we must protect our borders and stand with our friends

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

tommyboyle wrote: »
    Brilliant may not be the perfect word for Pali but she knows exactly whats she's doing. If by some curse of satan she holds office could you make room for my family. Seriously. I dont see her getting elected or even not really running. She has a pretty sweet deal going on and could make tons of cash as lobbyist with the pull she has. Obama will win another turn thanks especially to the tea partyers. She will split the rebublican party. There are those rebs who beleive the nation needs a leader who cares only for jesus, guns, and hating homosexuals. That is all she is. What America has to do is stop being cowboys of the world. Keep our armed forces its current size and mind our own business. Which includes our nato alliances. If some nation attacks the emerald isle, I am all for dropping the American hammer on anyone dumn enough to try that. Especially a nation where 25% of its citizens identifies themselves as irish american. Aside from that bring our boys home. I am an american air force vet and served proudly. Fighting for a just cause is ideal not so some fatcats can get richer. Overexpansion killed the Roman Empire. We are no where near that but we must protect our borders and stand with our friends

I think we should back completely to isolationist policy. Pull out of everywhere and let the world fend for themselves, and that includes all assistance, even things like Haiti and Tsunamis. We are always the first in to help and all we get is the finger for it.

And close the borders.

I almost completely agree with you. Isolationism along with making american made goods cheaper to buy. Encourage the american consumer to buy american goods. National disasters around the world I am all for helping out. Not gov't money but red cross donations. The use of american rescue teams is great too. But I am all for Leaving the ttroops home to spend time with their families and train for when the US needs defending.. I am always for standing by our alliances. That should not change anything though. Any time the european union is under a grave threat we probably are also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭EastTexas

This woman will never ever hold public office again.
    Aside of her obvious lack of qualification, there isn’t enough money in it for her.
    She’s already making more than the president
    Nothing but a media stunt, if she actually did run with no chance to make it past the primaries.
    She is a TeeVee personality. lol

Liberals are obsessed with her, hence she’s catnip laced with crack for the partisan pundits out for ratings on both sides.
    It’s really nothing more but a political sideshow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

Liberals aren't the ones buying her books, attending her rallies, or watching her TV programmes. She will run. Her stops in Iowa make it abundantly clear. I doubt she can win a general election. She is very popular in the Republican Party and is capable of winning early primaries in Iowa and South Carolina.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

I have never seen such a poor candidate in world politics

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Rodin wrote: »
    I have never seen such a poor candidate in world politics

Lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. Mary Coughlan is Tanaiste and Jacky Healy Rae is one of the two shaky pillars propping up this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

I really think Palin is too polarizing a figure to be elected. I know I'd go out of my way to vote against here, and I classify myself as pretty moderate- but there's something about her that makes me crazy. Having said that, like some of you others have said, it's a shame there's no moderate party any more. We can't all be put in little boxes like Fox News would like to do to us. I also think Republicans may be in a weaker position after the next two years- I know they think they can ride in and rescue things, but 2 years is not a lot of time to do much, for either party.
    Should be interesting to see what's happening in 2 years. I'll have to re-register for an absentee ballot next time I'm Stateside....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

I think we should back completely to isolationist policy. Pull out of everywhere and let the world fend for themselves, and that includes all assistance, even things like Haiti and Tsunamis. We are always the first in to help and all we get is the finger for it.

And close the borders.

Rather a strange little statement there

I think countries in the world strive to help each other regardless of politics whenever a natural disaster strikes - not withdraw aid and 'sulk' because they don't get thanked enough for it

Secondly - the superpowers US and China (Russia, etc) need to stop playing God with smaller countries and interfering so much - we've seen all the spinoffs from the Cold War meddling, Bin Laden, instable states, dictators, coups - its all nasty and generally causes headaches later on.

Close the borders? if you are American, I hence pesume you were originally native american with that attitude

Lirange wrote: »
    Liberals aren't the ones buying her books, attending her rallies, or watching her TV programmes. She will run. Her stops in Iowa make it abundantly clear. I doubt she can win a general election. She is very popular in the Republican Party and is capable of winning early primaries in Iowa and South Carolina.

From what I have read she purchases large numbers of her own book
    The liberal media has provided her with a huge platform, much bigger then the right.
    Obsessively hanging on her every word, publishing her every tweet.
    Tweet lol
    If you go to Huffington Post (liberal ground zero) she has her own page, articles about the minutest thing she does or says accumulate 1000nds of hateful comments within a few short hrs.
    Given the focus and reaction to her by the left, she keeps putting out the bait of her possible run.
    You gotto remember exposure in the US is a license to print money.
    Without that, she may have had to get a real job.

The Republicans don’t take her anywhere near as serious, but use her as a very affective distraction tool which in the end is all she really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Lirange

You seem to be downplaying her appeal in the Republican Party. We'll just have to wait until early 2012 to see how well your assessments hold up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

EastTexas - You're not seriously ignoring the pull that Palin seems to have with the republican base, are you? Just take a look at the elections just gone by and the effect she had on the fortunes of the candidates she backed as well as the crowds she seems to pull at fund raisers etc.

If the "liberal media" (there's no such thing by the way, at least not as I gather you perceive it) is giving her any attention it is because of the influence she seems to wield with republican voters.

The fact that she is a crazy, ignorant, incompetent narcissist and completely unelectable to the vast majority of the "moderate/mainstream" electorate does not change the above.

Memnoch wrote: »
    EastTexas - You're not seriously ignoring the pull that Palin seems to have with the republican base, are you? Just take a look at the elections just gone by and the effect she had on the fortunes of the candidates she backed as well as the crowds she seems to pull at fund raisers etc.

If the "liberal media" (there's no such thing by the way, at least not as I gather you perceive it) is giving her any attention it is because of the influence she seems to wield with republican voters.

The fact that she is a crazy, ignorant, incompetent narcissist and completely unelectable to the vast majority of the "moderate/mainstream" electorate does not change the above.

As an ex politician amongst voters, what pull?
    TV personality mouthpiece in certain republican circles, yes.
    Imagine propping up a failed divisive unelectable candidate.
    A republican nightmare granting an easy stay for Obama.
    Do you really think they are gonna do that?

Think of O’Donnell, another completely unelectable candidate.
    The left wing media featured her daily, obsessing on her every word, past and present just like palin.
    Whilst the Republicans considered her a none starter and expected loss the moment she won the primary.

Personally, I wish Republicans would back Ron Paul.
    One of the brightest minds we have in office.
    I also think he could win if they solidly backed him.
    Most of us are sick of the fools on both sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Although as a democrat i'm firmly in favour of palin running I really dont see her getting through the republican primary process unscathed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

perhaps the Mayans were right about 2012! lol

Seriously, though... she hasn't a hope, you need the Moderates and Independents to win, she simply doesn't have that, it would probably require a miracle in rebranding to get them.

Obama could be quite weak going into the next election after turning on his base with the Tax Cuts not to mention pretty much every other thing on his agenda.
    The Republicans smell that blood and will put forward a sensible pick I image.

I doubt she'd run as independent as it wold split the republican vote, some serious brown envelopes would be involved back room no doubt :D

RichieC wrote: »
    perhaps the Mayans were right about 2012! lol

Seriously, though... she hasn't a hope, you need the Moderates and Independents to win, she simply doesn't have that, it would probably require a miracle in rebranding to get them.

Obama could be quite weak going into the next election after turning on his base with the Tax Cuts not to mention pretty much every other thing on his agenda.

I don’t think Obama turned on his base.
    He was high jacked by liberals pulling him deeper and further to the far left which is barely 20% of the nation.
    They where like a ball and chain, micromanaging his presidency, pushing for taxes, spending and trying to unilaterally change the country into something completely different then what it ever was in total disregard to the 80% rest/majority of the people.
    The teaparty resulted as a direct response and repudiation to that unilateral approach from the left.
    Their rhetoric over the last two years became increasingly shrill and hateful reaching a crescendo right after the November elections toward anybody not in lock step with their agenda, tuning even more people of.
    The left is unforgiving and will continue to hold a grudge against Obama for moving to the common sense middle.

If he stays there and continues to work with everybody there is a good chance of him being reelected having rid himself of that ball and chain.

I am not really exited about any of the current possible republican contenders, except for Ron Paul.

EastTexas wrote: »
    I don’t think Obama turned on his base.
    He was high jacked by liberals pulling him deeper and further to the far left which is barely 20% of the nation.
    They where like a ball and chain, micromanaging his presidency, pushing for taxes, spending and trying to unilaterally change the country into something completely different then what it ever was in total disregard to the 80% rest/majority of the people.
    The teaparty resulted as a direct response and repudiation to that unilateral approach from the left.

you'd have to pretty much forget everything Obama said while campaigning for any of this to be true. He used the far left to get elected, just like Bush used the far right.

I really do not get the tea party, they should have been out protesting against TARP 1 that bush signed and protesting the largest federal expansion in a half century. The fact that they didn't leaves me to assume that all they are in fact protesting is a Democratic president they all hate. The few Tea partiers I know personally will defend Bush to the death, most actually denying the above facts. They are all are fox news, drudge report and Free Republic junkies making them incredibly susceptible to manufactured opinion.

your 20% versus the big 80% also doesn't bare out on the polls. in fact, it was Bush who pushed an agenda that only had 23% backing if we're to take presidential approval rating. Obamas approval rating is pretty inline with that of the great conservative Hero, Reagan! who also got a shellacking during his first mid terms.

you'd have to pretty much forget everything Obama said while campaigning for any of this to be true. He used the far left to get elected, just like Bush used the far right.

I really do not get the tea party,
    they should have been out protesting against TARP 1 that bush signed and protesting the largest federal expansion in a half century. The fact that they didn't leaves me to assume that all they are in fact protesting is a Democratic president they all hate. The few Tea partiers I know personally will defend Bush to the death, most actually denying the above facts. They are all are fox news, drudge report and Free Republic junkies making them incredibly susceptible to manufactured opinion.

Bush used his executive authority to declare that TARP funds may be spent in December 08

The Teaparty didn’t really get started until January,09, organized by Young Americans for Liberty, a student-run organization, with over 183 active and forming chapters in American colleges and high schools.
    Their platform:
    That government is the negation of liberty;
    That voluntary action is the only ethical behavior;
    That respect for the individual's property is fundamental to a peaceful society;
    That violent action is only warranted in defense of one's property;
    That the individual owns his/her body and is therefore responsible for his/her actions;
    That society is a responsibility of the people, not the government.

The first TeaParty protest was in response to proposed "obesity taxes", but was also triggered by Bush and Obama bailing out the banks.
    I agree with the teaparty100%, that the government has no business bailing out the banks or corporations with our money.
    The movement has no central leadership but is composed of a loose affiliation of national and local groups that determine their own platforms and agendas.
    Just regular people holding their government accountable.
    What could be more democratic?

IMHO also a testament to the brilliance of our constitution, that regular people can do this successfully and can’t be buttered under by bureaucrats
    They work for us and not we for them.

By comparison, I look at Europe where bloated governments do whatever they want, mostly in self-interest, leaving the people to throw rocks in the streets and set stuff on fire.
    All in futility because their governments don’t listen to them anyway.
    We don’t want that mess.

your 20% versus the big 80% also doesn't bare out on the polls. in fact, it was Bush who pushed an agenda that only had 23% backing if we're to take presidential approval rating. Obamas approval rating is pretty inline with that of the great conservative Hero, Reagan! who also got a shellacking during his first mid terms.

Bush was a lousy President and even lousier Republican.
    I am referring to today’s political landscape not Bush’s well deserved low approval ratings.
    Remember he campaigned as against nation building and against foreign entanglements and then did a complete 180.

Bush used his executive authority to declare that TARP funds may be spent in December 08

The Teaparty didn’t really get started until January,09, organized by Young Americans for Liberty, a student-run organization, with over 183 active and forming chapters in American colleges and high schools.
    Their platform:
    That respect for the individual's property is fundamental to a peaceful society;
    That the individual owns his/her body and is therefore responsible for his/her actions;

The first TeaParty protest was in response to proposed "obesity taxes", but was also triggered by Bush and Obama bailing out the banks.
    I agree with the teaparty100%, that the government has no business bailing out the banks or corporations with our money.
    The movement has no central leadership but is composed of a loose affiliation of national and local groups that determine their own platforms and agendas.

IMHO also a testament to the brilliance of our constitution, that regular people can do this successfully and can’t be buttered under by bureaucrats

By comparison, I look at Europe where bloated governments do whatever they want, mostly in self-interest, leaving the people to throw rocks in the streets and set stuff on fire.
    We don’t want that mess.

Nice Pamphlet. I know an astro turf movement when I see it.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Believe me the rest of the world wishes the same!!

DeV.

Nice Pamphlet. I know an astro turf movement when I see it.

Feel free to fact check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Their platform:

We don’t want that mess.

You forgot "the person I voted for lost"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I love that statement. Talk about an uninformed electorate...

The whole concept of democracy is wasted on them.

Advertisement