Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Palin Hints at Presidential Run

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

My first prediction is that Sarah Palin (although inexperienced, incompetent, inarticulate, and isolated from world affairs), will be the Republican Tea Party endorsed candidate for 2012 president.

My second prediction is that Hillary Clinton will replace Joe Biden as the Vice Presidential running mate for Obama in 2012.

Why? See below:
    Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton continues an even longer run, ranked in the USA TODAY/Gallup Poll as the most-admired woman for the ninth straight year. Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin is second, as she was in 2009.

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-12-27-most-admired-poll_N.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭EastTexas

fontanalis wrote: »
    You forgot "the person I voted for lost"

HAha, He won.
    A little assumtious perhaps?

My first prediction is that Sarah Palin (although inexperienced, incompetent, inarticulate, and isolated from world affairs), will be the Republican Tea Party endorsed candidate for 2012 president.

My second prediction is that Hillary Clinton will replace Joe Biden as the Vice Presidential running mate for Obama in 2012.

Why? See below:

Source: http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-12-27-most-admired-poll_N.htm

That is indeed a possibility, Clinton switching seats with Biden and would appease a good portion of the demographic that supported her during the primaries.
    Though I don’t always agree with her politics, personally I like Mrs. Clinton.
    She is tough, smart and most certainly has earned her degree and grown tremendously since she first came to WH with Bill.
    Talking about accomplished women in politics, Condi Rice is also incredibly smart and accomplished, but I doubt that she has any leadership qualities.

Though Palin did a pretty good job as Governor in Alaska with a high approval rating right up to until J.M. drafted her to float his sinking ship, I would never put her even close to on par with the two ladies above. She does not belong in any serious position on the National or International political stage .
    That's just beyond her bandwidth.

If the Teaparty puts Palin up at all, this would be solely for political maneuvering but not with any expectation of her getting the nomination.
    She will attract a certain cult of personality fan base for the purpose of turning those votes over the eventual Republican nominee via endorsement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The best possible scenario that I can imagine is that the "tea" party will realise palin doesnt stand a chance of wining the republican party primaries and so they finance her as an independent, thus taking votes from the republican candidate and ensuring an Obama second term.

Fingers crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

EastTexas wrote: »
    HAha, He won.
    A little assumtious perhaps?

No I didn't see any grass roots movement during the last 30 years. Deficits and soaring debt didn't magically appear in January 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

Is Palin even raising money yet?
    If she was seriously considering it wouldnt she need at least a couple of million in the bank to setup shop in Iowa & New Hampsire etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,906 ✭✭✭doc_17

I hope palin does run...if only so Tina Fey can absolutely destroy her....again!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Palin would be political suicide for the Republicans to put forward in the next Presidential Election. She has a strong yet relatively small support base of "tea party" followers but she is very polarising in the Republican party. More Republicans believe she is damaging to the party than support her.
    I don't think if she would win the Republican primaries firstly, and if she did I think you'd see a substantial amount of Republicans (marginal and otherwise) voting for the Democratic candidate - who will be Obama unless some major event occurs between now and 2012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 white1awake

Sarah Palin is beautiful, spiritual, and a very healthy woman. She also walks her talk (notice she really didn't have an abortion when it would have definitely been 'convenient' for her to do so)--and best of all, she is genuinely happy in her own skin.
    No wonder you hate her.
    She represents so much of what most of you will never even know.

If you had an ounce of humility (and given the ass-kicking this country is currently taking, you'd imagine there might be some more of that precious commodity flowing around here, but no)you might look at what has made her a success and incorporate some of those values into your own lives.

Ps: My favourite part of this entire thread was the OP making so many spelling mistakes while trying to portray Sarah as the 'stupid' one, lol.

Gotta love it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Sarah Palin is beautiful, spiritual, and a very healthy woman. She also walks her talk (notice she really didn't have an abortion when it would have definitely been 'convenient' for her to do so)--and best of all, she is genuinely happy in her own skin.
    No wonder you hate her.

If you had an ounce of humility (and given the ass-kicking this country is currently taking, you'd imagine there might be some more of that precious commodity flowing around here, but no)you might look at what has made her a success and incorporate some of those values into your own lives.

Ps: My favourite part of this entire thread was the OP making so many spelling mistakes while trying to portray Sarah as the 'stupid' one, lol.

Gotta love it.

We've read her PR blurb, we don't need it reprinted here, thank you.

• Advertisement

Sarah Palin is beautiful, spiritual, and a very healthy woman.

Brimming with health i'm sure, just not too intelligent unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Sarah Palin would not want to be recommended by GW Bush, nor did John McCain in 2008, given that when Bush left office, the nation was in the greatest recession since the Great Depression, housing foreclosures hit record highs, unemployment was double digit, the federal deficit hit an historic high, and two pointless wars had been raging for several years costing taxpayers billions per month.
    In retrospect Im shocked GWB didn't sponsor Obama to knock him dead out of the running ;)
    Close the borders? if you are American, I hence pesume you were originally native american with that attitude
    The idea often gets cluttered in the mainstream. Not closure but control. For that borders need to be 99% impermeable with entry/exit points that are controlled by the USA, not by drug smugglers or their ilk. There is still a lot of support on the Right for those that want to come here, as long as it is on our terms and with respect to our laws. Illegal Immigration affronts that. As does any measure as some I've heard recently that would give any illegal citizenship if they have managed to hide here for X number of years.
    Personally, I wish Republicans would back Ron Paul.
    Unfortunately many of Paul's more sensible ideals are burdened heavily by his eccentricities: he will never be elected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

No wonder you hate her.

None of this has anything to do with her suitability to be president of the United States. Abraham Lincoln was not the most handsome man in the world and suffered from depression, but he was one of America's greatest presidents.

Sadly, Sarah Palin represents what far too many of us know about many Americans: a total indifference to international affairs, satisfaction with jingoistic one-liners rather than serious critique, and a frightening lack of interest in policy.

Have you looked at the US jobs data lately? The only reason the US is not in a worse position is because the government holds the world's reserve currency, and it is still the biggest consumer market in the world.

Gotta love it.

Sarah Palin isn't necessarily stupid - she is actually rather savvy, especially when it comes to self-promotion and exploiting the worst impulses of her base - but she is certainly ignorant, especially when it comes to international affairs and economics. The idea that she could potentially be leader of the most powerful country in the world is terrifying.

She thought Africa was a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

I'm no Republican, but its worth noting that Obama said once he had visited 57 states.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,252 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Try saying "forty". Now say "fifty". Which took less effort? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭transylman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xNUH1xGdTw

Aside from the content of what she says, there is something odd about the way she talks. I'm thinking it has something to do with the bizarre shifts in tone from sentence to sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Saw her response on C4, did I hear her say pundints?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

transylman wrote: »
    Aside from the content of what she says, there is something odd about the way she talks. I'm thinking it has something to do with the bizarre shifts in tone from sentence to sentence.

Is she reading a prepared speech written by someone else on the telly prompter, and is not experienced using that medium? I have never heard her use so many LARGE words before. I wonder how many retakes it took?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Not only that, she has an eloquent way with words:
    'Refudiate,' 'misunderestimate,' 'wee-wee'd up.' English is a living language. Shakespeare liked to coin new words too. Got to celebrate it!
    Who hijacked term: 'feminist'? A cackle of rads who want 2 crucify other women w/whom they disagree on a singular issue; it's ironic (& passé)
    I don't know if I should Buenos Aires or Bonjour, or... this is such a melting pot. This is so beautiful. I love this diversity. Yeah. There were a whole bunch of guys named Tony in the photo line, I know that
    "In what respect, Charlie?" after being asked if she agreed with the Bush Doctrine, ABC News interview, Sept. 11, 2008

Gotta love it.

That's 'ironic':
    Oh I see, only the full-time professional trolls with bad grammar get a pass?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69959884&postcount=142

• Advertisement

And how about her reference to a Blood libel against her?

She's fascinating, she really is. She appeals to a specific character of proudly uneducated know-it-alls (being one herself). She gives people who dont understand anything about politics and dont want to know anything about politics (but feel they're missing out) a way to feel involved.

InTheTrees wrote: »
    And how about her reference to a Blood libel against her?

She's fascinating, she really is. She appeals to a specific character of proudly uneducated know-it-alls (being one herself). She gives people who dont understand anything about politics and dont want to know anything about politics (but feel they're missing out) a way to feel involved.

And you'll never go poor appealing to the lowest common denominator.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

She has no chance after her latest performance the video supposedly expressing sympathy for those killed in Arizona . About two mins to victims and five of her complaining of being victimized. Shows the self centered narcissist she is.
    Also ironic you can see the reflection of a TelePrompTer in her glasses!

RichieC wrote: »
    And you'll never go poor appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I think thats the creepiest part. The celebration of stupidity. The Truth ceases to play a role because its not important and there's zero curiosity to find the Truth.

Its what makes arguing with morons like that so frustrating, all the normal rules of discourse are thrown out the window to be replaced by sitcom catch phrases...

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think thats the creepiest part. The celebration of stupidity. The Truth ceases to play a role because its not important and there's zero curiosity to find the Truth.

Its what makes arguing with morons like that so frustrating, all the normal rules of discourse are thrown out the window to be replaced by sitcom catch phrases...

:mad:

I think when these people aren't convinced by alternative viewpoints we should ask why that is so, what is compelling them to make such extreme irrational arguments. I think that its not simply the case that they're morons, imbeciles or whatever. In fact I recently saw one tea partier interviewed in relation to the Gifford assassination attempt make a fairly articulate argument in distinguishing between the vitriolic political climate and the actions of one dude. In fact the una bomber Kaczynski was about as far removed from vapid/stupid as you could possibly get but his viewpoints were misguided. Its very possible for intelligent people to hold completely toxic and illogical viewpoints, but the crux of the matter is that they think they're the good guys who see the truth and everyone else is a moron.

I would suggest that some of the rationales are ones which are endemic to most of us, seeking out validation for our opinions and believing that we are right in our assumptions about society and how it should function without critically reflecting on them and trying to falsify them and that's going to happen in something like politics because it can be fairly personal and subjective among individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Be afriad! Not only did she hint at an inauguration, she tried to give the impression that she's becoming more savvy by mentioning quantitative easing and monetizing the debt and still totally struggling to even pronounce them!

Could the Republicans really be this badly off that she'd actually win their Presidential Primary's?

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2010/11/09/exp.palin.inauguration.hint.cnn?hpt=C2

please God not Sarah Palin.

I would prefer
    Ron Paul or
    Thomas E. Woods, Jr.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Woods

I would suggest that some of the rationales are ones which are endemic to most of us, seeking out validation for our opinions and believing that we are right in our assumptions about society and how it should function without critically reflecting on them and trying to falsify them and that's going to happen in something like politics because it can be fairly personal and subjective among individuals.

You are of course correct.

I've lost my patience though and "moron" has become an easy label...

There was a point when palin and the T-Party looked like they could be a viable republican spoiler in 2012 but after her latest performance I think she's circling the political drain.

She really screwed up the response to the Tucson shooting while Obama had a massively positive response, even from the right wing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Thomas828

Her comments on the Tucson shootings just show her doing what she's best at - talking rubbish.

You are of course correct.

I've lost my patience though and "moron" has become an easy label...

There was a point when palin and the T-Party looked like they could be a viable republican spoiler in 2012 but after her latest performance I think she's circling the political drain.

She really screwed up the response to the Tucson shooting while Obama had a massively positive response, even from the right wing.

Palin is not the head or leader of the Teaparty.
    TeaParty does not have a head or leader.
    There is no national leadership.
    Those who conduct its affairs are mere coordinators of local groups where the real power lies. The entire affair is a grass roots-dominated movement.

Should Palin move to Antarctica tomorrow and live in seclusion, wouldn’t make one bit of difference.

I am a member of the Tea Party Patriots in Texas :)
    http://www.teapartypatriots.org/state/Texas

• Advertisement

EastTexas wrote: »
    Should Palin move to Antarctica tomorrow and live in seclusion, wouldn’t make one bit of difference.

You mean it wouldn't make a bit of difference to you.

Politically she speaks for the tea party. She is its loudest voice. She did run for vice president after all.

If she makes a gaffe, it embarrasses the tea party and will affect membership.

Look how you're distancing yourself from her...

Advertisement