Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Festina lente

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Joined in on the juvenile gym session last night instead of doing my own thing...

Nordic hamstrings 4x8
    Fast leg 12

Hip thrusts 4x8 (just a 10kg bar)
    Resisted fast leg 10 each leg

Squat 6x70, 75, 77.5 (while partner did goblet squats)
    Box jump x 10 (he went first and then I reduced the height :pac: )

Military press 4x12
    Resisted high knees 20 contacts

bench press 4x12x30kg
    Mountain climbers 14

Fast arm resisted 4x20
    Free 20

then another set of Nordics/fast leg, and another set of hip thrusts (this time with a bit of weight)/resisted leg

Finished with 6xstrides

I'll do it again sometime, at least when there's an odd number of kids...

just 68k last week

Gym sessions Monday (teenagers) and Wednesday (adults) evenings

'race' yesterday morning, the Brothers Pearse vs Tallaght challenge. About 15 from each club racing on the Dublin intermediate course before the Meet and Train. Not a great race from me, I was fecked by the halfway stage and passed by a Tallaght runner about a km out, no way I was going with him. But we won the overall competition, naturally :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

RayCun wrote: »
    just 68k last week

Gym sessions Monday (teenagers) and Wednesday (adults) evenings

'race' yesterday morning, the Brothers Pearse vs Tallaght challenge. About 15 from each club racing on the Dublin intermediate course before the Meet and Train. Not a great race from me, I was fecked by the halfway stage and passed by a Tallaght runner about a km out, no way I was going with him. But we won the overall competition, naturally :D

In fairness, you did. Despite us filling the first three places home, your greater strength in depth (on the day???) gave you a narrow victory (2 points, was it?).

Meanwhile, a kangaroo court is being arranged in D24 for a certain Mr. Splitz, who failed to turn up and condemned his club to humiliating defeat.

Next year...

davedanon wrote: »
    In fairness, you did. Despite us filling the first three places home, your greater strength in depth (on the day???) gave you a narrow victory (2 points, was it?).

It was actually
    1. Tallaght
    2. Donore :pac:
    3. Tallaght
    4. Brothers Pearse
    5. Brothers Pearse
    6. Brothers Pearse
    7. Brothers Pearse
    8. Brothers Pearse
    9. Brothers Pearse
    10. Tallaght
    11. Tallaght
    12. Brothers Pearse
    13. Brothers Pearse
    14. Tallaght
    15. Brothers Pearse
    16. Tallaght

It was actually
    1. Tallaght
    3. Tallaght
    4. Brothers Pearse
    5. Brothers Pearse
    6. Brothers Pearse
    7. Brothers Pearse
    8. Brothers Pearse
    9. Brothers Pearse
    10. Tallaght
    11. Tallaght
    12. Brothers Pearse
    13. Brothers Pearse
    14. Tallaght
    15. Brothers Pearse
    16. Tallaght

cough........a technicality.......cough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

We were wondering what was going on when we arrived to see the mens race about to start!! A tough course :pac: or that was my excuse for being so rubbish in the M&T, besides, yiz made a dogs dinner of the course on us!!

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭TRR_the_turd

It was actually
    1. Tallaght
    3. Tallaght
    4. Brothers Pearse
    5. Brothers Pearse
    6. Brothers Pearse
    7. Brothers Pearse
    8. Brothers Pearse
    9. Brothers Pearse
    10. Tallaght
    11. Tallaght
    12. Brothers Pearse
    13. Brothers Pearse
    14. Tallaght
    15. Brothers Pearse
    16. Tallaght

Yeah, well our women won!!!!

Yeah, well our women won!!!!

Maybe next time we'll race the Tallettes, more of a challenge :)

another short week last week, only 53k

Felt a bit off throughout, maybe fighting off a bug, maybe just tired

Tempo run on Saturday summed it up, only did 5k and it was the slowest in months

Gym on Monday and Wednesday, Monday doing my own thing since there was an even number of teenagers, Wednesday adult session, coaching more than training

Took full advantage of the time off last week, pushed it up to 92k (and that after some 10am starts! - luxury)

No gym sessions, and barely any S&C work though

Tempo on Saturday again, much better than last week

I even cleaned my cross country spikes!

oh yeah - I've been fading badly after about ten minutes of my last few races. It's probably just lack of fitness, but it might have something to do with my easy run routine of 5 minutes very easy/10 minutes less easy. I like the alternations, I think they keep me out of the default pattern of gradually increasing speed and gradually declining again, without having to keep an eye on my watch all the time. But I'm going to start changing them around a bit, more like yesterday's 1k very easy/3k less easy, maybe move to 1/4 after a while. And I have to get better at doing my own sessions, because I'm not going to get to the club tempo very often.

• Advertisement

and time to start thinking about some races...

Jan 29th - Raheny
    ? MSB 5k March 19th ? maybe something longer?
    April 9th - Great Ireland Run
    April 23rd - Road Relays (assuming we have a team I can get on)
    May 14th - Terenure 5 mile
    ??
    June 24th Dunshaughlin 10k!
    ?? maybe Irish runner 5 and/or Fingal 10k
    August 13th - Rock and Roll Half
    ?Aug 26th - Frank Duffy 10
    Sept 23rd - Dublin Half?
    then mainly cross country through the end of the year

Graded meets start April 26th, plan to do some 800/1500s there too

Three weekends in March/April will be taken up by Level 2 course

75k last week, pulling back the distances a bit as the week went on to be a bit fresher for Sunday

One gym session on Wednesday, Monday was just coaching

Dublin Masters XC yesterday. 109th overall in 25.41, and my slowest time in this race, but I'm fairly happy with it. First lap was too slow and too far back, passing people I shouldn't have been behind in the first place, but I kept the effort up throughout, finished strong, and afterwards felt like I'd put a serious effort in.

82.5k last week

Platelet donation (incomplete!) on Monday, so no gym session and a couple of easy days, recovery from Sunday too

Gym session Wednesday evening

Saturday - early start for 6 x 800. Paces were off - 3.06, 3.08, 3.07, 3.07, 3.09, 3.12 - should have been more like 2.55, but I'll take it. 7am on a frosty path is not ideal running conditions :)

Sunday - longish run up and around Phoenix Park. First time running over half marathon distance since I got this watch almost two years ago, so I was rewarded with two PBs :rolleyes:

Platelet donation (incomplete!) on Monday,

Wife was on that programme until they changed the rules again. My count was too low. I know it's not the same as red cells, but do you think you get any sort of boost from a donation? Or the opposite...

davedanon wrote: »
    Wife was on that programme until they changed the rules again. My count was too low. I know it's not the same as red cells, but do you think you get any sort of boost from a donation? Or the opposite...

You're not supposed to do anything strenuous on the day of the donation, I usually take the next day easy too. Iron levels should not be depleted, but I guess blood volume would be low? I figure there's no harm in taking a couple of easier days every month. I don't think there's any boost though, apart from the rest.

78.9k last week

2 gym sessions, Monday and Wednesday

No running session - mile challenge on the track instead. I wasn't really in the mood, but turnout of adults was poor and the ones that showed up had to race with some of the teenagers, so I wasn't being let off :) Was still fiddling with my watch when we started, but as usual the pace in the first lap was fast (okay, 77 seconds, relatively fast :pac:). Next two were about 87 seconds as I closed the gap on a bunch of teens, and then as we hit the last bend I let them get a good look at the back of my shiny bald head :pac: 5.29 in the end

Nice long run on Sunday, again up and around the park. Mostly on the path, but on the trails from around Ordnance Survey to the Hole in the Wall.

No running since then unfortunately, I've come down with some bug :( Tight chest and coughing, not something I want to run through...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Well done today, Ray! Hope you were happy!

Last week a bit of a mess unfortunately, with a bug that refused to die :rolleyes: Monday and Tuesday were complete write-offs. Got back out for some easy runs from Wednesday (and did a gym session) but a persistent high temperature and catch in my chest that still hasn't gone away. The joys of old age :rolleyes: Did consider knocking it on the head on Saturday, but Raheny is one of my favourite races, and I haven't run a road race in two years :eek: - time to get back on the horse.

Met up with a gang of clubmates (and racheljev!) for a bag drop and photo, then went out for a warmup around the park and the start area. Settled in four/five rows from the front a few minutes before the off. Was feeling pretty relaxed at this point, all the niggles had disappeared.

Took it fairly handy at the start and settled into a pace easily enough. 3:40, 3:47, 3:46, 3:40. My effort level was rising though as we turned towards the park, the km beeps and mile signs were getting further apart :)

In the park is where it all went arseways, especially on the out and back section. 3:50 and 4:13 :eek: for 6 and 7, I was wrecked, couldn't get it together at all :( It wasn't until the final turn to the path out of the park that I could start thinking about finishing - whacked my elbow off a fence on a turn, which helped wake me up!

Was happy with my finishing, worked the pace up over the last km, stayed relaxed but gave it everything, 3:33 pace for the last bit and I was in pieces after the line.

30:15 on my watch, 30:09 official. 189th overall and 13th in category.
    (and a box of sherry glasses as a spot prize!)

I should have paid more attention to my splits. By the time I got to the park, I thought I was already behind 30 minute pace and was thinking of hanging on for 30:30 or something. But it was just the 20 seconds off pace on that out-and-back section that did the damage. Maybe if I'd known that then I could have held on better.

But anyway, I'm glad to have gotten out and back into that kind of race. Great to soak up the atmosphere again, and see everyone before and after (during I didn't see a thing!). Good to put down a marker, and start a new block of training from here.

48.2km last week, one gym session

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Great racing - looking at strava, I think a lot of people suffered at a similar point yesterday.
    2 years since your last road race - wow - amazing time given that fact.

I think it is - some parkruns and track races in spring of 2015, some parkruns and cross country in autumn 2015, and again last autumn, but nothing on the roads iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

Was about to say hello after the good bag pickup, but a girl from the club started yapping and you were away by then...

Nice time there Ray.

week 1...

Monday
    6.4k @ 4:57 in the morning
    A couple of miles into this run, I remember thinking*, "yeah, its always the spring when I get injured, isn't it? Probably because I have a solid but unspectacular winter, get bored, start up an ambitious training plan, and get injured"
    This year is completely different - my winter didn't even qualify as unspectacular, and I'm not going to get injured! See? Not remotely similar!

6.4k @ 5:48 in the evening

No gym session - no access this week

Tuesday
    15.6k @ 5:02, finishing with strides (AHR 152)

Wednesday
    10.6k @ 4:55 in the morning (AHR 152)

6.4k @ 5:47 in the evening

No gym session this evening either - well, I was in the gym, but just watching as the teenagers got the next phase of their programme

Thursday
    15.4 @ 5.04, finishing with strides (AHR 151)

Friday
    8 @ 4:58 in the morning (AHR 152)
    6.4 @ 6:19 in the evening (AHR 141)
    my recoveriest recovery run so far!

Saturday
    13.1 @ 4:54 (AHR 148)

Sunday
    20.9 @ 4:54 (AHR 155)
    usual early run around Phoenix park

109.7k for the week

Legs were fairly tired early in the week, the hangover from Raheny. And shins were tight on the weekend - I had to do a lot of walking in proper shoes on Friday. But fine again today

*or possibly remember remembering. I may even have posted something like that in this log before. At my age, you tend to repeat yourself :)

Week 1 of ..................?????

Week 1 of ..................?????

that would be too easy :)

all these coaches and experienced runners on here, surely someone can guess what book I got for christmas, and what training plan I am butchering adapting to my requirements :)

10 points to the winner!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

that would be too easy :)

all these coaches and experienced runners on here, surely someone can guess what book I got for christmas, and what training plan I am butchering adapting to my requirements :)

10 points to the winner!

10k Magness plans towards Dunshaughlin for 200 Alex?

10k Magness plans towards Dunshaughlin for 200 Alex?

:pac:
    that was quick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭Myles Splitz

:pac:
    that was quick!

Saw the Monday double and the strides and worked 18 weeks into the future for a race.

Will have tang on the recruitment drive soon with these deductive skills ;)

Interestingly I'm also reading that book and am quite interested in the plan.
    The club sessions would then go out the window for the base building part anyway.......

Interestingly I'm also reading that book and am quite interested in the plan.
    The club sessions would then go out the window for the base building part anyway.......

Not really an issue for me, as I never get to train with the club :(

(although our track time is changing in a few weeks, so I might start getting back to the Saturday tempo sessions... will have to look ahead and see if I can work them in)

• Advertisement

week 2 so far...

Monday
    am 7.8k @ 6:35 (AHR 123)
    even recoverier than last week!

No evening run, because I had platelet donation followed by AGM.
    Not club chair anymore! :D
    Juvenile competition secretary instead! :eek:

Tuesday
    15.3 @ 4:51 (158)
    just an easy run around UCD and home, no extras

Out in Abbottstown at the new indoor arena for training later that evening. Very impressive, and very warm. Not designed for juvenile competition at all (long jump board too far out, high jump doesn't go far enough down, throwing circle too far from nets, no relay markings for 4x100) which is going to cause some headaches this weekend...

Wednesday
    am 12.38 @ 4:51 (157)
    slightly longer than planned run into work

pm 6.55 @ 6:19 (136)
    usual loop

Thursday
    13.32 @ 5:28 (147)
    (6 x 10 second hill sprints with 2 minute recovery) in the middle of this. Did them in Bushy park, on the hill from the bandstand to the skate park (on the path) Fairly easy overall, except for the last couple of seconds on the last couple of hills :)

Friday
    am 9.58 @ 4:58 (154)
    easy into work

Advertisement