Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Ban reversal?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

prinz wrote: »
    We all draw a line somewhere. As a society we do decide that the is a 'correct way to live'. Big boo hoo. We either vote on it, or we change the government.
    I'm talking more about the general suspicion and disapproval of any lifestyle that deviates from the societal norm, even when it's not affecting anyone. A vestige of the nation of curtain twitchers we were in the past.

I broadly agree with the smoking ban and have already stated that in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭Osgoodisgood

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Do you even know what cigarettes are?

Why, yes I do by common mishap! I'm intimately aware of the thrills and spills associated with the wee ciggies.

Do you have a point?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

I'm a smoker myself, but I'm glad the smoking ban is in place in this country and hope it stays that way. I smoke less than I did when it was allowed. And i don't think its right subjecting non smokers to the hazards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Why, yes I do by common mishap! I'm intimately aware of the thrills and spills associated with the wee ciggies.

Do you have a point?
    Yes, suggesting people have their fill of smokes before they head out is utter nonsense.

EDIT: OK, you've confirmed you were joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

There would be alot to be said for separate types of pub, smoking and non smoking. A person would be able to make their own choice then, rather than the government ramming their decisions down their throats.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

prinz wrote: »
    What about the people in these small rural towns and villages where there may only be one or two places and they don't want smoking inside? They can just lump it and travel to the next town - versus the smoker just standing outside for less than 5 minutes? I understand the argument but it cuts both ways as these things usually do.

Fair point. But how about letting the owner decide in this case?
    I just can't see why it has to be "Bam, no smoking indoors ever under any circumstances, on your premises" with no room for adaptation.
    Publically owned buildings and the like, absolutely... but a private venue where people choose to congregate and part with money of their own accord?
    Hmmmm, my sarcasm skills appear to be failing me. I didn't think anyone sensible would take my comments literally!

Sorry about that. The way these anti-smoking threads go it's hard not to take any opposing points very literally. Nothing some people would come out as regards cigarettes would surprise me.
    Sensible? lol

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭johnnyjb

But alcoholism IS a disease. Any doctor will tell you that. Your problem is that you want zero tolerance policies as long as they don't impact you. And that right there is typically Irish and immature as well.

I dont want zero tolerance, just hate the cries from people when its not like they have to go out to the car or go for a walk. Standing outside by a heater and shelter (usually) is not a crime against humanity- forcing your passive smoke onto others is - makes no difference fags effect peoples health and even morally worse when its second hand smoke
    Well, my friend, pub is short for PUBLIC HOUSE...you know...a house where the public could go for alcohol, food, tobacco, warmth and maybe even some 'games of chance' like cards or "pitch and toss".
    The idea was never "priority 1: drinkers, everyone else second place". Where'd you get that idea?

Im aware what its short for but i can bet you all the money in the world if you asked a publican which item or custom he would keep if only left one, what would it be. I dont think he would open to let people only use the fag machine.

Pub = alcohol .... Every thing else is only to try keep people happy to a degree

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If they reversed it, my local will allow it. Just before the ban, they spent a few thousand installing large fans to extract the smoke, and other things, to lessen the smoke. 3 months later, the smoking ban came in, and now they have great air-con, which they just leave turned off most of the time :rolleyes:

Many places have just adapted, though. A few places do very nice smoking gardens. As a smoker, I like the smoking ban. I can go out into the fresh air, and have a smoke, as opposed to barely being able to breath indoors, as most pubs had no air con, and were full of smoke.

IMO, if the pubs had decent air con that pulled the smoke out of the pubs, they'd be allowed to have people smoke, but no air con = no smoking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

ScumLord wrote: »
    In the Netherlands they'd probably have a place where you could do that. They probably wouldn't make use of it but they'd like to have the right to do it if the mood hit them.

The ban wasn't enforced that much in coffeeshops and the locals were actually using them to have a fag in before going into work.

Enforced or not the law existed... which is why I'm saying is the most likely reason it might be overturned for this purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Unless you're in a car that needs reversing out of a carpark space or a driveway then going backwards is never a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

Meh, I don't really mind anymore, most pubs have good smoking areas and a lot of people are used to just hanging out there for the most of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

What defines a small bar though? I drink in places that are fairly small

certain amount of square meters,maybe 70sqm?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

OldGoat wrote: »
    Now if only there was a way of stopping non smokers from taking up all the seats and tables in the smoking section - I have had people ask me if I would mind not smoking. :rolleyes:

That is the most annoying thing, its bad enough the non smokers have taken up the inside of the pub and now they take up seats in an area for smokers.

I do hope you told them to f off in a bill hicks / timothy o'leary style

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 20,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭inforfun

No idea if this has been mentioned yet but those pubs in Holland can not be compared to the Irish ones.

This is about tiny bars, usually the guy behind the bar owns the place.
    The problem was that these guys more often than not are smokers themselves so with this ban it became illegal to smoke in their own place.
    Needless to say they didnt bother about the ban, smoking continued.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Yeah, its ****ing stupid trying to protect non smokers and bar staff from getting lung cancer from second hand smoke just cause smokers cant hold off from puffing their brains out for an hour or two. As a non smoker i ****ing loved coming home from a night out stinking of cigarettes all over my clothes/hair and with my eyes bloodshot and my lungs hurting, it was delightful. Cant see any reason why that law was introduced in the first palce, its jsut the typical nanny state etc etc..

Then you will be fine with the idea of smoking and non-smoking bars won't you, diddums. I despise ****. They stress me out and are consequently bad for my health but I don't want them banned either. They should just have their own watering holes. I won't be attending.

Advertisement