Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smoking Ban reversal?

Options
  • 04-11-2010 2:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭

Dutch backtrack on smoking ban
    The new Dutch government has opted to partially reverse the smoking ban imposed on bars and cafes more than two years ago
    It said it will amend the law to allow smokers to light up again in small owner-operated bars which are less than 70 sq.m in size and which have no other staff. The ban will remain in force for larger establishments.
    The government banned smoking in restaurants, pubs and cafes in July 2008, but the law has been openly ignored as small pubs complained the measure was costing them customers.
    In a letter to Parliament, Health Minister Edith Schippers said the law would now be amended and that fines already imposed on small pub owners will not be enforced.
    The measure to reverse the ban will affect a couple of thousand bars across the country, the minister added.
    Can't see it happening in Ireland...
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1104/smokingban.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Nor should it be reversed here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

it would help a lot of small pubs around the country,but i think the smoking ban is a load of balls anyway tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

I hope not! I like coming home after a night out and not stinking of smoke.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Won't happen here. We have too much to sort out already and backtracking on this would just bee seen as another failure to rack up to FF's many others.
    ...And FF wouldn't want that alone to add to their historic record.

I wouldn't want to see it reversed in all honesty.

I hope not! I like coming home after a night out and not stinking of smoke.

it's only in small bars

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I think a lot of people would stop going to pubs.
    I can't imagine going back to sitting in a horrible smoky room all night

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Great idea IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

it should be reversed, it should be up to the publican. i still agree with public buildings etc.

pmcmahon wrote: »
    it's only in small bars

What defines a small bar though? I drink in places that are fairly small

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Bit farcical there with a number of coffee shops having one pro smoking sign for the weed and one no smoking sign for ciggies. I wonder will they reverse this in the hotels also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

It will go up in smoke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

If they bring this back lots of non smokers (including me) wont go out to bars as much. As said earlier, I like not smelling of smoke after a night out.

just the barman in the pub,not big lounges,maybe one staff who accepted the job to work in the establishment

pmcmahon wrote: »
    just the barman in the pub,not big lounges,maybe one staff who accepted the job to work in the establishment

Seems a bit fuzzy to me and will absolutely be abused.

Seems a bit fuzzy to me and will absolutely be abused.

not really,in a pub where there is only 1-2 people working,so that is going to be a small bar,more like a smoking room where you can buy pints separated from the non smoking area entirely,i don't see the problem tbh

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Somewhere less than 70 square metres?!

it's quite clearly stated in the article at 70 sq.m

Adam wrote: »
    it's quite clearly stated in the article at 70 sq.m

Yeah see I just skimmed over that

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

It certainly won't be reversed here, I would never go out to a stinky, smoke filled pub again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

Everybody ignored the original ban over there thats why they partially reversed it ,it was too hard to police with so many establishments sticking their fingers up to the government.We complied with it over here.We had a little moan about it for a while but we just got on with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

I agree that larger establishments should be smoke free but I've been in small rural (& not so rural) pubs where the whole clientele & the owner were standing at the back door! Too many of these pubs have closed down in recent years. Maybe if we didn't live in a nanny state, & that they & their customers had been given a choice, some of them could still be open?

Yeah see I just skimmed over that
    maybe you should spend more time skimming and less time typing then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Hooray!
    I live in Amsterdam. Of course in Germany they just ignored the ban (so much for German conformity...and Irish rebelliousness!!).

Some dingy little pubs in Holland never bother to enforce the ban and the police never bothered to so check up on them either.

It's a stupid law and one that was very poorly thought out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

barrackali wrote: »
    It certainly won't be reversed here, I would never go out to a stinky, smoke filled pub again.

Oh! You must be important if you're able to hold an entire piece of legislation hostage by not going to a pub.
    Tell us your secret.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Bit farcical there with a number of coffee shops having one pro smoking sign for the weed and one no smoking sign for ciggies. I wonder will they reverse this in the hotels also.

The reason it's banned in hotels is fire safety not health of staff and patrons.

This should be revoked here but it won't be...it at the very least should be up to the individual licensee, allowing a separate room (not an exterior area that is cold and dark at this time of year) with ventilation, with no bar or any staff interaction with customers.

Common sense from the Dutch in response to the fears raised by small premises owners...you know, those people that pay rates and employ people. All the more reason it won't happen here.

BTW as an ex-smoker I agree it's great for a non smoker to be able to go out and avoid 2nd hand smoke and all the stink from clothes or whatever...but where is the fairplay for those who do wish to go out, have a drink and a smoke in the comfort of indoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

I'd prefer if they extended off-license opening hours and introduced staggered closing of pubs and club. [/tangent]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

At least the smell of smoke will get rid of the smell of farts.

Oh! You must be important if you're able to hold an entire piece of legislation hostage by not going to a pub.
    Tell us your secret.

I think you'll find that poster isn't alone..

prinz wrote: »
    I think you'll find that poster isn't alone..

i feel so .....

• Advertisement

Wertz wrote: »
    Common sense from the Dutch in response to the fears raised by small premises owners...you know, those people that pay rates and employ people.

Isn't one of the caveats that they don't employ people?

Advertisement