Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humanity Must Be Destroyed!! (Two Minutes' Hate) 20140525 - SEE RULES IN POST #2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

growler wrote: »
    I'm getting fed up with having to listen to the noise from peoples' headphones on the tube / bus. Half the time its women with ipod headsets that are too big for their ears and end up facing outwards, or just ignorant ****s who must be 3/4 deaf already. If your music can be heard by someone 2 feet away I hate you.

Hope they don't bring wifi on the tubes like they were talking about some time back.

I know what you mean! A couple of years ago the other half got me using ear-canal headphones and I haven't looked back since - they're great, better sound quality even at lower volumes. Unfortunately a lot of manufacturers cheap out and go for crappy headphones instead.

I dearly hope wifi/mobile coverage never comes to the tube, there are enough obnoxious gits on public transport without adding the incessant mobile talker to the collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

That really grates my nerves..people with crappy earphones..I really hate being forced to listen to other people's rubbish music, and worse when they play tinny tunes on their phone using it as a speaker.

London Transport is bad enough without wifi

Today I am mostly hating the rain and gale force winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

Shut it paddies !!! If ya dont like landan, jog on back to potato land

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Prop Joe wrote: »
    Shut it paddies !!! If ya dont like landan, jog on back to potato land

*blink*

Excuse me?

If that was an attempt at a joke (eg "My 2 minutes hate is those people who go on the internet to complain about stuff, the bastards!") I think your delivery needs work.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

growler wrote: »
    If your music can be heard by someone 2 feet away I hate you.
    Sorry dude - I thought people appreciated my death metal/free jazz/nokia ring tone fusion.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

djpbarry wrote: »
    Sorry dude - I thought people appreciated my death metal/free jazz/nokia ring tone fusion.

:(

I'm sure some " people" do , just not most ! :-)

someone suggested a "clap" on the head , perforating / damaging both ears of the offenders in a fairly painful way , but i think thats a bit extreme myself. A few annoyed looks from fellow travellers will usually sort out all but the most anti-social.

My very reasonable solution would be for bristish transport police to seize the earphones of these morons (followed by a few hours in the stocks perhaps).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I was walking along the street today, as you do, and as I stepped on one of the paving slabs it kinda sank at one end and there was a pool of water there that flooded my shoe :( Fecking rain...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Fishie wrote: »
    I was walking along the street today, as you do, and as I stepped on one of the paving slabs it kinda sank at one end and there was a pool of water there that flooded my shoe :( Fecking rain...
    Ugh, so annoying. Massive generalisation alert: paths here are generally far worse than in Dublin. Yes, roads, water, transport, etc is all far superior, but the paths are crap.

Anyway, my brief moment of hatred: A friend of a friend spent five minutes slagging me for saying the word 'grand' to mean 'fine'. I don't have the words to describe how much I hate anyone teasing me for the way I speak, so needless to say, that was not the most fun thing ever. *hulk smash*

Stargal wrote: »
    Massive generalisation alert: paths here are generally far worse than in Dublin. Yes, roads, water, transport, etc is all far superior...
    I don't know about that. There are some roads near my place that look like they've not been resurfaced since the war.

And yes, the transport is good, but jaysus, you pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Stargal wrote: »
    Anyway, my brief moment of hatred: A friend of a friend spent five minutes slagging me for saying the word 'grand' to mean 'fine'. I don't have the words to describe how much I hate anyone teasing me for the way I speak, so needless to say, that was not the most fun thing ever. *hulk smash*

And they don't get the word press! My housemate started to take the ironing board out when I said it was in the press by the fridge..

Wasent helped by me shouting

'No in the press by the fridge! NO the press! NO NO the press by the fridge'

At this point I was saved by my other housemate 'He means the cupboard'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

afatbollix wrote: »
    And they don't get the word press! My housemate started to take the ironing board out when I said it was in the press by the fridge..

Wasent helped by me shouting

'No in the press by the fridge! NO the press! NO NO the press by the fridge'

At this point I was saved by my other housemate 'He means the cupboard'

If someone asked me to get something out of the press I wouldn't have a bull's notion either, and I've been living between Meath and Dublin my entire life. I'd really have to think about what it was they were talking about. My house has always had cupboards, and anyone I lived with during college always called them cupboards too.

upmeath wrote: »
    If someone asked me to get something out of the press I wouldn't have a bull's notion either, and I've been living between Meath and Dublin my entire life. I'd really have to think about what it was they were talking about. My house has always had cupboards, and anyone I lived with during college always called them cupboards too.

I don't think it's that weird or unused a term - I grew up in Spain but still picked it up from family back home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I've managed to get my office to call it the press when speaking to me now. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

We've a hot press alright, but that hasn't made every storage volume contained by a door and side walls into a press.

Staying with linguistics, most of the Irish people I know living in London complain of a widespread misinterpretation of and inability to pronounce Irish first names. The English think we've something caught in our throats too when we pronounce the letters "h" and "r".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Staying with linguistics, most of the Irish people I know living in London complain of a widespread misinterpretation of and inability to pronounce Irish first names. The English think we've something caught in our throats too when we pronounce the letters "h" and "r".

I think that's the same for Scots and Welsh too, each of us is working from a language that has quite different prononciations than English.

Speaking of which, was watching True Blood the other night and almost popped a vein when they repeatedly mis-pronounced Samhain as Sam-a-hain. Gah!

I am pretty sure i call the 'cupboard' in work the 'press'...gonna big it up today and see what people say. I think they generally think I am a bit mad with my 'grand', but half my office throw about Yiddish the way I throw about Irish, so it all gets a bi t lost in translation..

Staying with linguistics, most of the Irish people I know living in London complain of a widespread misinterpretation of and inability to pronounce Irish first names.
    I've not actually noticed that too much, although I have a friend called Caoimhe who gets called all sorts of things. But given that I encounter all sorts of names in London that I wouldn't be sure how to pronounce, I'd find it difficult to criticise others for making mistakes.

Unless of course they do it repeatedly, in which case they should be stabbed in the face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

We've a hot press alright, but that hasn't made every storage volume contained by a door and side walls into a press.

The news use to be fun watching them get stuck on Charlie Haughey and Donegal is another one

They think I am officially mad. I said 'I put that book in the press'... and got the oddest looks ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Teasey

Apparently I say "for the craic" a lot (which I never noticed before but am now completely paranoid about!)

The people I work with think it's hilarious because I'm "so Irish" so now I feel like Darby O'Gill when I hear myself say it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

Ha, don't start on the Irish names thing. I've broadened the horizons of my office, but pretty much every phone call to me from external clients starts off:

"Hello, is that...er...Ah-oyf?"
    "Aoife, yes."
    "Oh, 'Eefa'; oh right..." and then some patronising drivel about it being such a nice name.

Sometimes, depending on my mood/workload, I don't give them this benefit and I like to play the stupid game and keeping repeating, "Who?" until they eventually pronounce something vaguely similar to my name or get so embarrassed that they think they got a wrong number and make excuses to hang up. :pac: There's a thing called Google which will quickly give you a pronunciation if you want it; for names I can't pronounce, I do a search before I make the call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

my french housemate doesnt understand me when i pronounce my t's as i make them sound like an ss , like when i say eight" or maybe its a westmeath thing :P

Sometimes, depending on my mood/workload, I don't give them this benefit and I like to play the stupid game and keeping repeating, "Who?" until they eventually pronounce something vaguely similar to my name or get so embarrassed that they think they got a wrong number and make excuses to hang up.
    Or maybe you could just accept that a name such as Aoife is pretty uncommon outside of Ireland and a lot of people aren’t going to know how to pronounce it? That doesn’t make them stupid or ignorant and it doesn’t give you the right to humiliate them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

The English think we've something caught in our throats too when we pronounce the letters "h" and "r".

I had to spell something out to someone in work a while ago. He didn't know what I was on about when I said the letter 'r'. He thought I was saying the word 'or'. I explained that's how irish people pronounce it and he even asked someone else cause he didn't believe me. Now they all think its hilarious when I say it. Easily amused I guess :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

ceadaoin. wrote: »

I had to spell something out to someone in work a while ago. He didn't know what I was on about when I said the letter 'r'. He thought I was saying the word 'or'. I explained that's how irish people pronounce it and he even asked someone else cause he didn't believe me. Now they all think its hilarious when I say it. Easily amused I guess :)

It works the other way as well. A while back there was a discussion of PAF (Postal Address File) data in my workplace. I assumed it was actually PATH data & it was the local accent distorting the TH pronounciation into F. Ooops :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭afatbollix

They laugh at me when I say film. :o

afatbollix wrote: »
    They laugh at me when I say fillim. :o

Fixed your post for you ;) Though that still doesn't make me laugh as much as the Corkonian ability to pronounce "column" as "colyum" :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Is it just me or is the use of shopping trollies over here something of a free for all?
    In a couple of different supermarkets now it seems I'm constantly under attack by people pushing trollies in one direction while looking in another. Or stopping mid aisle to stare at the shelves ignoring everyone else only to glare at you for excusing yourself and the half dozen people behind you.

Another hate: Westfield Stratford. Mainly the people who let their children use scooters full whack, and parent's who stroll with massive buggies and while walking look everywhere except where they are going.

Also, people who think it's cool to dress like Dappy from NDubz, and lollop around the place taking photos of themselves in front of Primark:mad:

Yes i did get out of bed the wrong side today.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I'll just leave this here:

Advertisement