Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crack the Sig Challenge.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

It's broken and will be fixed soon :)

Redshift wrote: »
    Should be grand untill he starts salting them or something mean like that.:D

And that's not a bad idea ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Mmmm Salty Hashes, Any plans for SQL Injection or anything like that?

I don't have database access :) Even if I did swing my friend into giving my access, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth to maintain.

Ok guys - Web challenge 4 is running now :)

Thanks to Procasinator for the challenge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Finally think I'm getting this one, after having to recompile JtR because it refused to try anything longer than 8 characters long in incremental mode. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

MOAR!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

Need a hint with this one, Only thing of Interest I have found is a nine char hexadecimal variable named 'P'
    But I cant get anything I recognise out of it:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Need a hint with this one, Only thing of Interest I have found is a nine char hexadecimal variable named 'P'

That's where I am stuck aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭trout

<hint>
    The 9 char hex string is important ... but it's not the first thing you should concentrate on.
    </hint>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Redshift wrote: »
    But I cant get anything I recognise out of it:confused:

Have a look at what it's being compared to in the function, and what it's doing with the other variables. :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

A quick sort-of-mod-note-but-not-really....

If you are looking for help with a challenge and you dont want to ask on boards (or even if you are asking on boards), could you please NOT post the actual code from the challenge on a forum?

It turns up in google and takes away any requirement for effort in solving the challenge at hand.

As is fairly obvious, what you do outside of boards and indeed whether or not you participate in dlofnep's challenges is absolutley none of my business so feel free to ignore this request if you want. Just, when asking for help or doing research, please consider others wanting to solve the problem themselves and try to avoid havign the answer posted where everyone can see it. that sort of takes the learning aspect away not to mention removes any aspect of challenge that exists.

Thanks for that LoLth. I'd second that request. Asking for answers defeats the purpose of the challenge. If anyone is stuck on a particular challenge, you can ask here for hints, or for us to put you in the right direction. If people are posting complete answers on websites, it ruins it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Procasinator

If people are struggling with web challenge 4 (or any challenge I've completed), you can feel free to PM me for hints and such. Won't give out answers, but more than willing to help.

You could use the thread to ask too, just try not too divulge too much information inadvertently.

And MOAR! :P

how about an unofficial rule to use spoiler tags when posting details of a challenge while asking for help or when supplying hints?

As it isnt an official security forum thing it doesnt belong in the charter but I'd be happy to add spoiler tags if anyone forgets in the future.

for those not familiar with spoiler tags:

use [ spoiler] at the start of the spoilery bits and [/ spoiler] at the end (remove the spaces after the first [ in each tag ).

you should get a block of colour like this
    hidden stuff
    . highlighting the spoiler tagged area with reveal whats written underneath.

Sounds good to me! :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I've exhausted my extremely limited knowledge on challenge 3 and still have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it. Can anyone send a small hint my way? Just enough to give me an idea but still have to play with it to solve it.

Also, the link on thr RHS to Challenge 6 is missing on the other challenge pages (and I'm not on the HOF for challenge 2!).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,068 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I've exhausted my extremely limited knowledge on challenge 3 and still have no idea what I'm supposed to do with it. Can anyone send a small hint my way? Just enough to give me an idea but still have to play with it to solve it.

Also, the link on thr RHS to Challenge 6 is missing on the other challenge pages (and I'm not on the HOF for challenge 2!).

I'll send a PM on Challenge 3.

I'll update the site later - Sorry :)

Challenge 3 uses a very common encoding format. If you need anymore hints, drop me a msg.

I'm totally stumped on Challenge 5. I've
    slowed down the audio and transcribed it into dots and dashes and converted this to text but I just get gibberish (TET TETTET TTTTEETET TTTTET TEEETTT)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

I'm totally stumped on Challenge 5. I've
    slowed down the audio and transcribed it into dots and dashes and converted this to text but I just get gibberish (TET TETTET TTTTEETET TTTTET TEEETTT)

I think you are converting it wrong. Use the audio waveform to visually convert if you get stuck.

Jonathan wrote: »
    I think you are converting it wrong. Use the audio waveform to visually convert if you get stuck.

I'm trying that (I can't hear lots of frequencies well) but no joy. I can't tell where one character ends and the next begins, either visually or aurally. I'll try stretch it out a bit more.

Got it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Would be good to get some challenges up like thoes a couple of years ago:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055316682

I have returned to the forum, so I'll try get through all of those PM's today.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I have returned to the forum, so I'll try get through all of those PM's today.

wb :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

Any changes of getting a challenge similar to posted in the thread above?

I don't have a spare system to host a war-game. If anyone wants to donate one though... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

dlofnep wrote: »
    I don't have a spare system to host a war-game. If anyone wants to donate one though... ;)

I would be interested in this. PM what you had in mind and I could try and set something up.

Advertisement